Appendix
32 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Complete List of Relevant Fantastical Elements. Updated as the chapters come out with each new mention. No spoilers. 

People (In order of Appearance/Mention)((Chapter Introduced/Name/Age))

(Pro.) Narrator (???)
Mysteries abound. Seems like a cool guy though?

 

 (Pro.) Walthier V. Raer (?)

The king of a very old kingdom long gone. Fought the Dark.

 

(1) Joshua Rasgard (17)

            Definitely a protagonist, normal dude. No really, he's never going to have any super powers. 

            (Author's Note: I went with Joshua as it's a strong Christian name. There's a certain tradition in literature to use that naming convention. I don't know any famous Joshua's in stories though because it's kind of a pric name, which works perfect for our MC.)

 

(1) Kael Rasgard (17)

            Also a protagonist, Combustion Syche.

            This was more on a whim. It was a bastardization of Kane (e.g. second brother). The hard consonants jived with his personality too.

 

 (2) Ollivie (Ollie) Ytvana

            A child of Einhurst, Sela. Likes to get into other people's business and enjoyed helping Kael snoop.

 

(2) Fillip Ward (48)

Town drunk in Einhurst

 

(3) Avonly Rasgard (16)

The younger sister of Kael and Joshua. By blood, on Joshua’s side. Metal Syche.

(Author's Note: People seem to hate this name. It was going to be my name if I was a girl, apparently. It stuck out to me because she wants to go on an adventure and be a protagonist. Just doesn't get the chance)

 

(3) Agassa Dvokriid (64)

Watches over the Rasgard family. Guardian, turtor, adopted grandmother. Blood Syche.

 

(3) Noel Rasgard (9)

The youngest Rasgard sister. Stays with her sister Alma at all times. Conduction Syche.

(Author's Note: I just like the name Noel.)

 

(3) Almae Rasgard (15)

 The angry Ragard sister. Blood Syche and in many ways a minature version of Kael, if not a bit more level headed and pragmatic.

(Author's Note: The first draft of this story was written in high school, and Alma's name was a hold over from that. At the time, it referenced a horrendously stupid plot twist that was completely expelled by a literary exorcism by the second draft)

 

(4) Doree (42)

One of the three front end inn keeps in Einhurst at the 9’s Inn.

 

(4) The County (38)

 Man of the Law. Lawman. In a rush or no-nonsense; either way should probably not mess with this guy.

 

(4) Pieter Knite (16)

16 year old boy in Einhurst. Likes to pull pranks. Does not like the consequences of said pranks. (First appearance in Chapter 1 unnamed.) Conceptually he is the traditional protagonist character that gets visited by a wizard, but it's not really his story is it?

 

(4) The Farmer (47)

Joshua worked for him for like two weeks. He has a name, but Joshua is horrible with names.

(Author's Note: I just thought it was hilarious having a character intricately involved with the plot who doesn't have a name. There's some in universe explanation and whathaveyou, but mostly it's me working around a joke.)

 

(4) Emilieana [Emilie] (5)

Actually, a moderately important character so I won't include any information here for spoiler purposes. Incidentally, I do like writing small children. You can waggle between dumb and inciteful at will and it's believable. Very fun.

(Author's Note: All of my characters are real people I know to some degree. Combinations or changes occur. In this case, this is an adult woman I know who I generally think of as a ten-year-old child. Didn't change her name either, but it's not like anyone will ever know who I'm referring to.)

 (9) Gianna (16)

Considering most books have two guys a girl for their protagonist trio, we can say we’ve got our third protagonist!

Mostly likely had a hard and traumatic childhood, most likely something happened to someone’s elbows, mostly likely could use some therapy. Has no last name.

(9) Doctor Martgrave Barthlomew

He’s the man it’s all about, baby. Holder of secrets that the good guys and the bad guys alike are really keen to hear about. His main concern is the well being of his daughter and not getting caught again.

(9) Ladilaus Iderich (27)

Not a good guard. Not a good person.

(Inter. I) Maeda Taniguchi (36)

 

 

Places (Alphabetically)

The Crispy Biscuit- A popular Diner in Einhurst.

 

East Gulf- Large gulf in Northwestern Seriah.

 

 East Holiness- I'll be frank with you, this could refer to a lot of places. Consult a map and get back to me when you know which one to ask about specifically.

 

Einhurst- Small town in southern Sela, two and a half’s hours drive from the capital. Rural farm land. Gets misty in the winter due to thermal heat.

 

Frangart- Small village near Einhurst in Sela. Despite the hard consonants of its name, it is in fact a town named several hundred years ago for an immigrant from a neighboring country that no longer exists.

 

Kidenia- Country to the south on Yatala, eastern side. More or less lacking note, outside of being the sometimes-home of our wayward heroes.

 

Knullsau- Something of the sister city to Einhurst. Actually big enough to have some chain restaurants and is also closer to bigger, more important places towards the coast.

 

Ribediah- Small autonomous island-state off of Northwestern Seriah in the gulf.

 

Sela- Just west of Taerose on the northern border, Yatal.

Capital= Ilporta

 

Seriah – One of the largest and most powerful companies that dominates the west. A religious Theocracy and in many respects diametrically opposed to Taerose in their interests.

Capital= Mainal

 

Taerose- East Yatala. Largest country in the continent. Historically poor and powerless, the past few decades have revolutionized them into a military powerhouse that is keen on expansion

Capital= Hiedenmarch

 

Tyré- A small island nation across the northern straight, not too far from both Sela and Taerose. Mostly snow and rock.

 

Yatala- North Eastern Continent

 

TERMS (Alphabetically)

Anin- In the old language, it derived from the word meaning human: nin. Anin, however means the opposite, less than human. In the mid language, it refers to someone without powers. Modernly, it is not a word since Syches are fairytales.

 

Avhnin- 1. The planet.

  1. An old god that has been completely supplanted and forgotten by all those except the oldest. Also referred to as Formic (nothing to do with ants), the story behind this is long, stupid, and confusing and the name should be considered a diminutive insult. . . to a god.

 

Avhu-anin- The full term in the oldest languages for someone who was without Sychic power.

 

Blood- A Sychic Element. Controls all kinds of blood.

 

Bloodjelly- Exactly what you think it is.

 

Briersburg- Despite what the name might imply, it is neither a burg nor a town. It's a loose fellowship of farming plots at best.

 

The Brothers- generally will be used to describe the dual-Commanders of the Serian synod of the Dark Element. In dictionary terms, could also be used to describe any two or more people are siblings and male. I fee like I’ve gone off track here.

 

Citole- A musical stringed instrument. Folksy. Used in the North East. Might draw you a picture sometime.

 

Combustion- A Sychic Element. Makes things go boom.

 

Commander- The Dark Element’s four leaders of each respective synod.

 

County- A federal agent in Sela. In other places, a county.

 

Dark- The Narrator keeps talking about it. Sounds like it almost killed everyone once but was defeated? Hard to be sure what that guy is talking about.

 

Durlop- Large earthen mounds that create grid like patterns in Southern Selah. Not one of my most clever naming conventions.

 

Fourd's Dictum- Any number of problems can have any number of solutions. Every child knows this.

 

Hoila- It used to be an acronym, now its just a word. Essentially the entirety of the infrastructure that handles the transfer of information, radio, phone calls, internet.

 

Imperadas- South Serian language group, concentrated around the Etruian Penninsula.

 

Knight- The right hand of the Dark Elements Commanders. The number varies from the Serian synod which currently has none to the Yatalan synod which has four.

 

 Leyon Kapris- The most popular brand of car used in unmarked police cruisers. The manufacturer Lyon makes plenty of other brands as well, normally sporting more robust, task oriented models. The Jundai brand is more popular for the marked police cruisers, to the point of nearly corning the market in recent years.

Kapris was a play on word for corpus as in body. Went together well for the name.

 

Lightning- A Sychic Element. Control small uses of electricity.

 

Lim-b Firearms- Linear induced magnet. Modern firearm tech where bullets are launched out of a series of magnets in sequence. No need for propellant reload, no need to a static power source *Recharge your gun weekly or as prescribed by your munitions manufacturer.

 

Mainal National Atlas- Despite it’s name, it has the whole word. It’s some clever world play if you’re religious. It’s the map provided (to be provided if I was lazy at the time of reading this).

 

Magcon- Primer used in old firearms. Essentially a hyper-powerful magnet just under the size of the gun barrel. Upon firing, the poles would flip and it would go from pulling the bullet(s) to launching them out at sonic speeds.

 

Metal- A Sychic Element. Controls metal.

 

Metaljacket- Imagine if a yellow jacket actually had metallic barbs growing along its abdomen.

 

Nin- Derived from the antiquity of Peghu-nin, it took on a slightly different meaning in the middle eras referring to any Syche. Modernly, it is not used.

 

Paline- Generally refers to the orange caffeinated drink made from Pali leaves.

 

Peghu-nin- In antiquity, it denoted a Syche apprentice who trained in a master/apprentice relationship similariliyt to Avhu-anin craftsmen.

Piet’s Atlas Compendia- While initially popular when the world was first charted, it has grown out of favor as it puts a large ocean in the middle of the globe and not some place important.

 

RUS (Regimented Use Sign)- Basic worldwide physical language.

            (Author's Note: I could write a book on how this developed.)

 

Sativa- Spice

 

Syche- Modern spelling of Psychic, the elemental controllers. Used as an adjective, Sychic.

            (Author's Note: In the original draft, "Syche" was the book title. You just can't get around how stupid Syche sounds though. And to be fair, I was using it ironically. A lot of what I'm doing is taking a piss out of fantasy tropes in my own way as in psyche.)

 

Synod- The four branches of the Dark Element: Oceania, Seriah, Yatala, Taerose (Otherwise referred to as the Special Forces Division) 

 

Tentpole Tree- They just sit there and get hit by lightning in storms. Useless.

 

“Worth more than blood”—Speaking about literal blood, this means it’s very, very valuable. If you say it’s ‘worth more than Blood’, that doesn’t make sense and only a Syche would understand it.

 

Yearn- Yatala Language group, to include Taerose’ and Midland.

 

CALENDAR (Alphabetically with Subsections as Needed)

All Winter’s Harvest- Shortened in many different ways such as just ‘The Harvest Festival’. It is a traditional celebration in the rural communities around Taerose who do winter planting. It celebrates the end of planting season, although no one knows why it has ‘harvest’ in the name.

 

Week Days

Divligh- First day of the week, and the one of the greatest religious importance

Ertligh- The second day of the week.

Midligh- Three

Filigh- Four.

Twiligh- Five

Evnigh- Six

Wanigh- Seven

Midnigh- 8

Hevnigh- 9

Sixtnigh- The tenth and final day of the week. Known for being the day where nothing ever happens, mostly due to religious traditions of the Mainalese taking up the other nine.

 

SYMBOLS (The Most Pointless Section. We getting deep son.)

Palms together at right angle: Sign for continuity of the idea.

Thumb over Fingers: Universal sign for a lightbulb idea.

1