Chapter 9
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tejara threw herself into her work for the rest of the day, running errands for the various courtesans, fixing things, and kicking out the occasional unruly client. She didn’t see Mei’nin’sa for the rest of the day as Madam Minn made sure not to assign any tasks that would take her by Mei’nin’sa’s room.

But she was given tasks to help Keh’dor’rin...

“You should have had Kyen’s medicine ready before I got here, now the madam is going to think I was slacking off.” Tejara whined, sitting on the edge of Keh’dor’rin’s infirmary bed. 

Keh’dor’rin didn’t look up as he continued to boil medicine, “I was distracted.”

For a brief moment, Tejara forgot her troubles and smirked playfully at him, “distracted by Val’lin’r?”

Keh’dor’rin’s ears turned red but he didn’t respond.

Tejara chewed her bottom lip as she waited in silence for Keh’dor’rin to finish the medicine. After about 5 minutes she broke the silence again, “you two could probably meet outside of here. It’s not like you aren’t allowed to come and go as you please.”

“Why would I want to meet him outside of here? It’s just a fling, Val’lin’r has to get married, have kids, continue his family line... I shouldn’t get too attached.”

The bed creaked as Tejara suddenly stood, “did Val’lin’r say that?” she asked, then shook her head and answered her own question, “no, he wouldn’t talk like that... you shouldn’t talk like that. You should-”

“Should what?” Keh’dor’rin turned to her. His face was pale and a bit gaunt and behind his gold-rimmed monocle his eyebags were dark and swollen enough that his dark eyes were permanently narrowed. This was all quite typical for Keh’dor’rin. What wasn’t typical was the sheen of sweat on his brow, his wavy black hair sticking to his temples, “should fight against fate? Fight for my love? How is that working out for you?”

Tejara deflated, slowly sinking back down onto the bed and looking away with a sullen pout.

A few minutes later, Keh’dor’rin stood up from his stool and brought a little pouch of medicine to Tejara. Tejara stood and received the pouch. She finally looked Keh’dor’rin in the eyes once more, “you should at least tell Val’lin’r what you think... I don’t think he’s treating it like a fling.”

Tejara left Keh’dor’rin’s room. Unseen to her, Keh’dor’rin pressed a hand to his abdomen and doubled over in pain.

*

Late that night, Tejara laid awake in her room. The maids and other female servants laid snoring in their cots around her but Tejara was wide awake staring up at the ceiling, her hands laced behind her head.

The door opened and Tejara closed her eyes, thinking it was likely to be the madam or the night guards checking in. But then she felt a soft, delicate hand on her elbow and breath tickling her ear as a familiar voice whispered, “Tete, are you asleep?”

Tejara rolled over onto her side to face Mei’nin’sa and opened her eyes. “What are you doing her, Mei’nin’sa.”

Mei’nin’sa pouted, “we got interrupted earlier... now scoot over.” Mei’nin’sa lightly pushed on Tejara’s chest. Tejara shimmied to the edge of the bed and Mei’nin’sa crawled on, laying down next to her. Mei’nin’sa’s long, beautiful hair spilled over Tejara’s pillow, mingling with her frayed, slightly choppy hair.

“I had the worst day after you left.” Mei’nin’sa whined, her voice still a whisper, “I got the King’s nephew as a client but he was so stingy.”
As Mei’nin’ssa spoke, Tejara ran her hand down her cheek. Mei’nin’sa closed her eyes and leaned into it. Tejara shifted forward until she could gently place a kiss on Mei’nin’sa’s lips.

Mei’nin’sa wound her arms and legs around Tejara’s body and announced in a voice that was barely a whisper anymore, “I’m not leaving you tonight!”

0