Chapter 11
95 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alex stared up at the large manor as the group departed the carriage. The entire facade was white marble, with an open porch with columns for support. It reminded him slightly of a certain other famous white house from his own realm when he thought about it. Before them stood all the butlers, maids, and guards who were employed by the von Helghstraums to serve the house. Olivia stood beside him, looking befuddled by the ornate structure that was to be their home for the near future. "It's beautiful," she whispered, and Alex had to agree with her. It was a far cry from the small but cozy cabin he owned in his world, and though he could and would go back periodically to keep the place in check and gather supplies and a few conveniences that this world could not provide, he had decided to spend the majority of his time here, protecting his summoner and her home from any and all threats that might show themselves. 

He knew that Olivia was rather naive about the situation she was in, and he resolved to teach her not only about the complications and situations she was facing, but he wanted to train her to be able to defend herself, particularly with a handgun and Akido, a martial art from his world that was specifically geared toward using an opponent's size and momentum against them. It was, he thought, a perfect skill to help her when magic and the indiscriminate application of overwhelming force failed. On top of this, Olivia would be training under both Victoria in the art of nobility and statecraft and Archmage Folds for her magic training. Her schedule would be very full for the foreseeable future.

"These are you staff, for the time being. They will remain with you until you secure your own people, and will be moving back to the main mansion as their positions are filled by your own staff. As a baroness, you will be given a stipend specifically for staff and expenses related to the manor, beyond your personal pay of 10 gold a month. I would recommend finding a skilled assistant, like Elizabeth here, to deal with financial and hiring matters, as well as your itinerary and other related matters. You cannot, of course, have Elizabeth herself, but I'm sure she can help you find a capable person for the job. 

"I already have someone in mind, and with your permission, I will set up a meeting between the two of you, Baroness Greaves." Elizabeth looked at Olivia as she spoke, and Olivia nodded. "That would be excellent, Ms. Fielding. And please, call me Olivia in relaxed company."

"As you wish, Olivia. Though I would recommend getting more comfortable with being addressed by your title in most situations, or 'my lady'. It is, after all, protocol that has been drilled into most of society, and being a former commoner, if you are too lax, there are those who will seek to capitalize on such naivety."

Olivia nodded. "I will bear that in mind in the future, Ms. Fielding. Thank you for the instruction."

"It is my job and my pleasure, my lady."

Victoria spoke up. "Let me introduce you to the heads of staff. Here we have Trillian Yellowstar, head butler." She gestured to a middle-aged man with streaks of grey in his perfectly coifed black hair and neatly trimmed beard, dressed in a black and white butler's suit. He bowed deeply. "I shall do my utmost to serve you, Baroness Greaves." Olivia nodded. "Next to him is head maid Heather Kinkaid." A small, blonde-haired beauty with bright blue eyes and a pair of cat ears dressed in the most elaborate maid's uniform Alex had ever seen bowed without speaking. "And to her right is Captain of the house guard, Devon Pike." A surprisingly young-looking man with sandy blonde hair and deep green eyes, dressed in a military outfit, bowed at his introduction. "I look forward to serving you until you find a capable replacement. If you would like, Lady Olivia, I can recommend a few capable officers who are stagnated in their current positions and looking for such an assignment." Olivia smiled at the man and spoke. "I would like that, though Alex here will be assessing that part of the staff."

Devon looked at Alex with an appraising eye. "I see. Mister Martin, I look forward to working with you on this matter then." Alex smiled and reached out a hand to the Captain. "Captain, I look forward to it as well. It is a shame we cannot keep you, I can tell that you are a formidable warrior and a gentleman." Devon grasped his hand in a firm handshake. "I appreciate the praise. Sadly, my normal post is with the kingsguard, so I cannot remain for more than a fortnight." 

Alex nodded. "Well, we had better resolve the guard staffing quickly, then. I appreciate your help, captain."

Victoria spoke up again. "Well, with all that settled, I will take my leave. Olivia, if you have any needs before our first scheduled meeting, do not hesitate to let me know. I will do everything in my power to get you settled and up to speed quickly."

"I am grateful for your help and patronage, lady Victoria. I look forward to our next meeting."

With that, Victoria and her entourage loaded up into the carriage and departed. "Lady Olivia," the head maid spoke up for the first time, "if you will follow me, I will show you to the master suite. Davon, if you will take care of Mr. Martin?"

"Of course, Ms. Kinkaid. Mr. Martin, if you will follow me, I shall show you to your quarters." 

"I wish to be near enough to Lady Olivia to protect her from any threats, if you would, Devon."

"You believe her life to be at risk?" Devon gave a grim look as he spoke.

"While I am not originally from this realm, I know enough of politics to gather that the sudden appearance of a powerful person can and inevitably will upset the balance of things, both within the kingdom and without. I have a feeling that there are those both within the nobility and outside of the country who will stop at nothing to either gain control of or destroy such an individual before they can establish a foothold in their position." Alex responded cooly. Devon nodded. "It seems you are more observant of the ramifications of Lady Olivia's situation than I had hoped. I am glad she had such a powerful and intelligent ally."

"I appreciate the praise. After you, then?"

"Indeed. Right this way." Devon led Alex inside the manor. They entered a large foyer, with the main hall leading into what Alex assumed was the dining room, kitchen, and cleaning facilities, and a smaller hallway to each side, left and right, that must have been for the staff and the like. A grand staircase at the left of the room led up to the master chambers, baths, and quarters for the main advisors and heads of staff under Olivia. Devon led Alex up these stairs, down the hallway, and to the very end of the hall. I from of them stood a huge double door, but Alex was led to a door to the right, directly beside the master suite. Opening the door, Devon led him into a large bedroom, nearly the size of Alex's living room and kitchen in his cabin. Alex looked around curiously. There was a large feather bed along the back wall, and the room was filled with furniture, including an armoire for his clothing and gear and a smaller walled-off area with a tub and water jugs for bathing. Beside that was a door leading to a small balcony that actually was attached to the balcony of the master suite. Stepping out, he was greeted by the stunning view of a large flower garden below them, filled with brilliantly colored plants and trees, almost the size of a small park more than a garden.

Someone cleared their throat, and Alex turned to see a beaming Olivia grinning happily at him. "Oh, Alex, I'm so glad your room is next to my own!" She was standing at the railing, leaning against it, her head turned toward him, her green eyes sparkling in the sunlight. "My lady, how do you enjoy your accommodations?"

"Oh, stop with the formalities, Alex. You're my closest friend here, I think we're allowed to be on a first-name basis now. Remember, I was just your cute little hedge summoner this morning." Olivia grinned wryly at him, her cheeks a light shade of pink as she spoke. Alex smiled. "Okay, Olivia. I'm glad the sudden rise in stature hasn't gone to your head. Yet."

"Hey! I'm just as humble as ever, I'll have you know. The king would likely give me a humble medal, if he knew the depths of my humility."

"Yeah, but then he'd have to take it back when you tried to wear it." Alex joked back. He had a vague memory of a comedian back on his planet that had made a similar joke back in the '80s or something. Olivia burst out laughing at his retort. Seeing her unrestrained joy was, even more than their current situation, the highlight of his day.

"Well, I'll leave you to get settled in, I'm going to visit the Guard's quarters and discuss the staff change with Captain Pike. Feel free to call me if you need anything."

"You'll be staying mostly in this realm, then?"

"Well, someone has to keep your ass out of the fire when the news of your ascension reaches the international information network."

"Will my status and skills really cause that much of a stir?" Olivia then sneezed suddenly. Alex lifted an eyebrow. "I'd say it already has."

Olivia's brows furrowed a bit at that, and they bid each other farewell.

2