Chapter 6: Frenzy
52 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[This skill is not compatible with the people of this world.]

The aetherial screen appeared yet again, though this time it bore bad news. 

"WHAT? NONONO, THAT CAN'T BE." Johan screamed. 

"KILL THIS MAN" The Duke ordered 

The soldiers started charging at Johan. They weren't as tactful as they should have been and they looked to be in a rush. They clearly were trained soldiers based on the way they moved and swung their swords but something was off about them.

Before Johan had a moment to think of what he should do he was immediately struck by multiple swords. Some ended up sticking out his back and others just cleanly cut through his body. 

"{HEAL}" 

The wounds closed up in an instant and the swords that were stuck inside him flew away. The soldiers were taken aback, flinching at the sight of the man they had just delivered multiple fatal wounds to heal them before they would even finish their breaths. 

Johan used those few moments given to him to lunge at one of the soldiers and ram his fist into the man's helmet. Johan's fist was being shattered into pieces but the man's face was also damaged, causing him to fall to the ground unconscious, his helmet having a clear dent on it.

Johan then saw his arms being severed in an instant as one of the knights had stepped up. Some of the soldiers had circled around Johan and the knight to block Johan's escape.

-

Meanwhile the other soldiers were trying to calm down an upset crowd. The shock had started to go stagnant yet it was replaced by confusion and distrust. And that's when things went out of control.

"NO. NOT ME TOO. I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING." 

"AAAAH"

"WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME?"

Some people from within the crowd screamed in fear. Some were intentionally screaming to create chaos and others genuinely felt threatened. Though the result was the same. The crowd fled in a panic, trampling over each other and some of the soldiers that blocked their way.

-

Seeing the crowd go wild Johan smiled at the knight. 

"I'd try to stop them. {Heal}" Johan said. 

With his arms back in place Johan grabbed a sword from the ground and pointed it towards the knight. 

"You've never fought an immortal right?" He continued

The knight was taken aback by the comment, making a little more distance between the two of them. 

"Exactly." Johan laughed. 

Johan ran away from the knight and through the wall of soldiers. He emerged with a sword stuck into his stomach and one less eye than before yet he wasn't phased. He grabbed the sword out of his stomach, now holding two and healed himself one more time. 

"WHOOOOO! I'M FEELING ALIVE!" Johan shouted as a means to intimidate the soldiers. 

In the midst of the chaos the armed executioner went in for a lethal strike. 

"I don't miss twice in a row." Johan stated, throwing his two swords, killing both executioners before climbing up to the platform himself.

"Put pressure on that wound, old man. You should be able to do that much." Johan said in a trembling voice. He had feigned his confidence the entire way but in reality his nerves were stretched to their limit.

"MAGES. KILL THEM BOTH." The Duke shouted. 

The robed figures around the duke all started chanting and before long a sea of fireballs was released towards the execution platform. Johan lifted Rey and jumped off the platform but as he did he saw a fireball coming right towards him. 

"DON'T STOP APPLYING PRESSURE." Johan shouted, turning his back to the spell. 

Johan screeched in pain as his back was burned to a crisp and his ankles spanned because of a messy fall. 

"{Heal} SHIT." 

"You can let me be." Rey spoke weakly. 

"What kind of bullshit is that? I'm going to save you. I'm not a normal person. I'm different." Johan said. 

As Johan finished his sentence, another volley of fireballs shot towards him. The flames ate away skin and flesh, causing immense pain.

"{HEAL}. Okay. Rey. I'll be real with you for a bit. I don't think I can manage this for much longer. So…. What's the fastest way out of here?" Johan asked, choking on the smoke.

"Leaving me here" Rey replied 

"Get your shit together. I'm not leaving you here. I'll try to do stitches on you but we have to leave first. So tell me the way. Those guys will send more fireballs soon and we will be done for." Johan insisted.

The mages started chanting for another volley of fireballs and Johan just ran towards the largest mass of soldiers. He was struck multiple times by many swords but the mages stopped with their chanting. The knight started making his way towards Johan as well. His anger was apparent as he lunged at Johan, full force. 

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING? FIRE FIRE FIRE" The duke screeched. 

The mages complied, shooting the fireballs towards their own men just to hit Johan along with them. The fireballs struck and screams filled up the entire city center. The smoke was raised high up and by the time it dispersed there were multiple bodies scattered around with burn marks and melted armor. The only one that kept on breathing was the knight that attacked Johan.

Yet the two men were nowhere to be seen.

-

Johan was running towards the gate at full force. He was tired and covered in his own blood. He'd have to face the two guards but that was a preferable alternative to staying in the city. But another obstacle came in front of him.

[Magic is being used to put you to sleep. Do you wish to resist?]

[Magic is being used to put you to sleep. Do you wish to resist?]

[Magic is being used to put you to sleep. Do you wish to resist?]

[Magic is being used to put you to sleep. Do you wish to resist?]

"Yes, yes, yes and yes." Johan said. 

He could feel his mana being drained immediately and at a rapid pace. He broke into a cold sweat. His legs started to cramp up but he fought through the pain. The gate was right in front of him. 

A few more steps. Just a few more steps

The guards were knocked out and the gate was unlocked. Johan powered through and slammed the gate open with his shoulder which popped out of place. Though he didn't seem to notice as he ran until he reached the forest and ran even further until his mana stopped being drained.

"Everything is going well, Rey. How are you feeling?" Johan said, getting no reply. He glanced at Rey and he was…. Sleeping and having bled all over him.

"Dammit. I didn't think of that. REY. WAKE THE FUCK UP. REY!" He screamed. 

Johan put Rey down and took off his shirt. The wound was deep, even shocking Johan. But he didn't falter. He ripped off his own shirt and used it along with Rey's to tie it around the old man, using the badge to prevent him from bleeding out. 

"It's basic but it should work for now." Johan mumbled to himself. 

"What should work?" Rey said weakly. 

"Oh? You're up? I just bought you a lot of time oldie. Now we just need to find a doctor. My powers don't seem to work on you." 

"Don't lie to this old man. I know I've lost too much blood."

"What are you saying? You're fine. Us humans need to lose a lot of blood to be in serious trouble. You have a lot of time left." 

"Kid. I know my body well enough. You don't need to play the hero."

"I'm not letting you die. It's as simple as that. I'm not a simple healer. I'm not even at a level where a saint can match my sheer prowess. I am the legendary healer Johan Adams. My healing ability can be matched only by gods. And you have my word I'll make you survive no matter what." 

Johan's facade seemed to slip away little by little. His eyes grew foggy and his speech felt heavier. 

"Don't make a promise you can't keep young man. I know I'm done for. Only the emperor himself could have stopped what happened today. I'm just glad you're safe" Rey said with a smile. 

"If only those damn powers worked." Johan punched the ground in rage.

"Don't sulk over me. I didn't have much time anyways. I have no children and no wife. As long as this territory keeps on living I have succeeded. Now listen well. The badge you have on my stomach. It's precious. As long as you are in the kingdom you will be fed, dressed and given a place to sleep. And, it has one more use. As the ultimate sight of trust with the crown you will also be pardoned for one crime and have it taken away." Rey said

"Then why didn't you use it yourself? Why did you give it to me?" Johan asked.

"Let me speak, boy. It works for anything but treason. What happened to me would be constituted under treason because of some technicalities in the law. The Duke knew what he was doing. So. Take it with you to the nearest city excluding Fera. It's called Greyleaf. You just need to move north past the edge of the forest and into the plains. There you'll need to turn yourself in and cash out your crest of trust. You will be kept in the jails for a few days as the crest is checked and when its authenticity is confirmed you will be set free." Rey continued, his tone being much more serious than before.

"What about you?" Johan said. 

"Keep me company until sundown and give me a proper burial." Rey said with a smile.

2