Ch. 96 – Dark Clouds
45 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, Aaric greeted Simon with sweetbreads and more questions about what it was like to fight centaurs. Apparently, they were a growing problem in the region. Simon was careful not to be anywhere near the door that might or might not be a portal, and when the boy opened it, it was to Simon's great relief the child did not vanish into a shadowy netherworld. 

Instead, the two chatted for a few minutes as they looked for his father and found the man already hard at work. “I trust you’ll be on your way then?” Millen asked in a tone that made it clear that it was time for Simon to move on. 

“Of course,” Simon agreed, “but before I do, I’d be happy to lend you a few hours if you have any work that needs doing.”

He’d thought about slipping the man a coin, but all he had right now was gold, and the man was likely to be suspicious, insulted, or both if he offered him such a lordly sum. Besides, he still hadn’t figured out what it was he was supposed to be doing here. 

Every portal was supposed to door to a place that needed fixing, but other than Millen’s complaints about how the harvest wouldn’t be as good as it had been last year or mentions that banditry was on the rise further to the north where Simon had claimed to be heading to, it looked pretty damn idyllic.

It would have been the easiest thing in the world to give up on this level and move on, but even though he was rushing to level 30 so he could give Helades a piece of his mind, having some idea of what he was up against for next time would be nice. 

"Well, if you want to chop a cord or two of firewood while me and Aaric start reaping the wheat and barley, that would be mighty nice of you," the man said with a thin smile. “Still, I think you’d best be back on the road by noon or so. It’s a long walk to the next village.”

Simon nodded at that. He was still woefully out of shape, and a little time with an axe would do him some good. He struggled a bit at first to cut the logs that had been dragged near the house into smaller pieces, but once he gave the axe a good sharpening, things went faster. 

For the next few hours, Simon lost himself in the easy rhythm of steel against wood as he delimbed the dead wood and then chopped the log into smaller pieces that he could break up into billets. This wasn’t the first time he’d done this since he came to The Pit, but it was enough to make him wonder how it was that humanity had ever managed to do this before they’d invented the chainsaw.

Still, he worked on it for hour after hour, and it was only when the horizon started to darken that he looked up. “Did it really get that late?” he asked himself as he looked up. 

Thankfully, he hadn’t just spent the last eight hours cutting wood, he realized as he saw the storm clouds. He set down the axe and sat on his chopping stump as he wondered whether he should head out now or wait until the storm passed, but the answer he came up with was a frightening one. That wasn’t any sort of storm he’d ever seen before. 

There was no lightning for one. That was what had tipped him off. However, as the cloud got closer and closer, well, it was just a uniform pall of darkness, and once he started to hear the buzzing, he was on his feet. 

At first, Simon had thought that he was imagining it, but as it got louder and louder, there was no denying it, and once he saw Aaric and his father running in from the fields, he’d finally figured out why he was there. He just wasn’t sure what he should do about it. 

“Are those locusts?” Simon yelled as the men ran toward him. 

“Worse than that!” Millen Answered. “Black swarmers are like flying leaches with teeth! They’d much rather suck a man dry than devour the crop! We need to get inside and cover the windows before they get here!”

Simon was torn with whether or not he should stay outside and try to do something or rush inside with them. Ultimately, it was their urgency that convinced him. He moved with the two men as they snatched up the girls and moved with them inside before slamming the shutters closed. 

After that, Simon did whatever he could to help. He rolled up a carpet and shoved it under the door. He helped the youngest girl shove bedding into the slats of one of the windows. This wasn’t like a modern house, though. It wasn’t capable of being hermetically sealed. 

He didn’t realize that until he saw Nora building a fire and tried to understand why. It was plenty warm enough, but they needed to block the chimney before the swarm found that as a way inside. 

The buzzing was incessant now. It was both loud and high-pitched enough to put his teeth on edge. 

“Alright,” Millen said to his family. “Nobody panic. It’s going to be okay. They’ll get the chickens and the goats, and then they’ll move on, and we can… Sweetie, it will be okay, I promise,”

Simon could tell that the man had some sort of speech prepared for that moment, which meant that this had happened before, but that all collapsed when his youngest daughter, Benna, broke down into tears. He looked at the walls and the flimsy thatched roof, trying to figure out whether they were safe or not. That was when the first few bugs started to break in. 

To Simon, they looked like giant termites or ants more than anything, and Aaric was up on his feet, immediately swatting them with a blanket. They were tough little buggers, though, and they were back up in an instant. After a few attempts, he discovered that it took a good hard strike with a piece of firewood to stop them for good. By the time he’d swatted one, though, five more had found their way in through some chink in their armor. 

The little girls were screaming now, and everyone was doing what they could, but it was clear to Simon that this was likely a doomed effort. In a few minutes, there might be hundreds of these things inside the house. 

Quickly, he ran through a list of options he could try in his head. Force was out of the question because of how precisely it needed to be targeted. Fire and ice might hurt the swarm, but firing it blind wasn’t likely to be particularly effective. 

For a moment, Simon was sure that made boundary his only option. Surely, he could make this building proof against more bugs for a minute or two, but if that stretched into hours, he wasn’t so sure. Even if he stuck to the normal command words, he probably wasn’t good for more than 10 or 15 in a row… 

Scanning his mental list one more time, he realized there was one more option. It was something he’d never tried before, though. Transfer. Stealing other people’s life lifeforce was wrong, so he’d never actually tried it before, but… 

Is it possible to target a whole swarm rather than a single member of the swarm? He thought as he picked up one of the half-crushed bugs and examined it?

There were dozens of the ugly things in here with them now, and he could feel three of them biting him even now, but it wasn’t so painful after a moment. They had some sort of anesthetic component to whatever it was they were doing, so he ignored it and focused on trying to connect to the swarm that all of them were a part of. 

Simon hadn’t focused hard on the visualization part of magic for a long time since he’d gotten to be pretty good at it, but he knew that it mattered as much as saying the words, and he focused hard on that now. 

He imagined that all of them were connected. Not physically, but that each bug in the swarm was just another cell in the body and that by biting him, they were connecting themselves to him. He had no idea if that would actually work, but in that moment, he believed that it did, and as he envisioned his draining spell sucking the life out of all of them, he whispered, “Gervuul Zyvon.” Greater transfer.

For a second, it felt like he was holding on to a live wire as the bug in his grip squirmed and spasmed one more time before it ceased moving forever. If the other bugs in the room had stopped moving, too, he couldn’t say for sure because his world had been reduced to the strange, narcotic sensation that was currently consuming him. 

A river of lifeforce was flowing into him right now, and each drop in that river was the life of one of these awful little bugs. Simon had never tried any hard drugs before. He’d been drunk plenty of times and tried weed on a few occasions, but what he was enduring right now was well past any of that. This was mainlining something dark and terrible, and somewhere past the feelings of power and hunger and the faint buzzing, there was a feeling of bliss like he’d never known, and as his body went boneless and limp, he lay there on the floor listening to the sound of rain pouring down around the small two room cottage. 

No, not rain, he realized, lying there. Bugs. Tens of thousands of bugs. 

That mental image took away some part of the beauty of the moment, but that was fine. It was enough to force him to his feet as he lurched toward the door. 

“No, Simon, don’t open that! ” Millen yelled. He was too late to stop Simon, though. Everyone was. 

There was no danger on the other side of the door, just the same disgusting image he’d imagined before. From here, all the way to the edge of the fields was a black twitching carpet of dead and dying bugs. 

Looking to the sky, Simon could still see a few of them, but he knew he’d done it, and honestly, he might never have felt more powerful than he did at that moment. 

“It’s over,” he breathed.

“What’s over? Did you…” Millen started to ask, but his words trailed off into silence as he beheld the truly biblical sight of the slaughtered swarm. 

Simon wanted to take credit or something like that, but honestly, the way he felt even standing was pretty challenging. So, instead, he stood there with a dumb smile on his face while the family that had crowded around him in the doorway got down on their knees and thanked the gods above for their little miracle. 

Once the shock had worn off, Millen demanded, “Did you have anything to do with this? Did you know that…”

Simon just shook his head. “You have that backward, man. I was planning to get on the road right about now. If not for you, those creepy crawlers would have eaten me alive!” he said, deciding that was the best possible lie he could come up with on short notice. 

He could see that they were still clearly suspicious of him, but there wasn’t a lot he could do about it besides crunch through three inches of bugs as he helped them check on the barnyard animals that had, shockingly, mostly survived this bizarre event. 

He kept an easy smile on his face while they did that, but he knew he was going to have to get the hell out of there just as soon as he could. Hopefully, the next level would give him someplace to lie down and get his shit together because he was not at the top of his game right now.

2