Chapter 1
59 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Feyte stands up shakily and empties the mug of milk as she winces at the money being lost so that she can fill it with water to try and help put out the fire.

She gets to the well and pulls the counterweight of the Shadoof to pull up the bucket attached to the rope which is full of water. Once the bucket is up out of the well, she pours the water out of the bucket into the jug before leaving it so that other people trying to fight the fire can retrieve water.

Feyte rushes back to the fire before emptying the entire jug on it, alas, it seems to have not done anything. Feyte runs back to the well and again pulls the counterweight and fills the bucket before pouring it into the jug, as she goes to empty the jug again onto the fire, The Guards arrive with some mages in tow.

The Mages start casting water spells at the fire in an attempt to put it out, as the fire slowly extinguishes, the guards look around.

“Look for anyone from the orphanage, they are the culprit and must be stopped, The diviner has foretold as such.”

Feyte’s heart goes from ecstatic that the fire threatening her home has gone out to completely dead considering that she would be seen as the culprit due to the words of the diviner. 

Feyte starts slinking away from the guards in an attempt to not be seen and makes her way to the gates.

Seeing the gates in the distance, Feyte gets more cautious because she doesn't know if any of the guards will recognise her, hoping to not be seen on her way out of town.

As Feyte gets to the gate, she has to show her identification before she can leave and tenses up, hoping that the guards have not been given the information yet as to the fact that she is the ‘Culprit’ of the tragedy and that she can leave town safely.

“What's your purpose for leaving the city”

“I’m traveling to Flame Village”

“Oh, I recognise you, thanks for the help in the marketplace, can I please have your identification”

Feyte tenses up at the mention of her identification as she doesn't know what the guards know about what she has supposedly done

Shakily taking out the identification, Feyte hopes that the guard does not know about her ‘crime’.

“Hold up a minute, you're the culprit of the orphanage fire? That can’t be, you weren't at the orphanage during that time, you can’t be the culprit, look I'm taking a big risk here, but i’ll let you out just be careful people don't recognise you for what you apparently did.”

“Thank you sir, I appreciate you risking yourself like this for me”

Feyte accepts her identification back and puts it away before leaving the town and heading toward the forest.

Feyte stops by a tree and puts her bag down before checking what she has. 

In the bag, Feyte notices that she has a dirk, the supplies she bought for the orphanage consisting of 10 loaves of bread and 4kg of Pork, as well as the remaining money of what she received from Sister Linda earlier, 3 Silvers, 60 coppers. Alongside a map of the Barony that she copied from the one that Sister Linda had and some spare clothing she always carries in her bag.

Feyte pulls out the map to check the quickest route out of the barony, to the west, where the sun sets, Feyte routes out that she should stop at Flame Village as she mentioned to the guard prior to grab some supplies for her journey as well as grab new identification under a false identity at the Adventurer’s Guild.

Feyte looks up and sees the sun through the gaps in the foliage, it's still the morning so Feyte knows to go away from the sun to arrive at Flame Village

Feyte treks through the woods towards Flame Village, as Feyte continues her trek, she hears the sound of weapons colliding. Feyte slowly makes her way towards the noises to see what's happening.

As Feyte arrives at a clearing in the trees, she sees three people fighting a bear alongside a body on the ground and someone seemingly bleeding out. Feyte climbs up a tree to get a better view of the situation.

As Feyte sees the body she hurriedly looks away, the man has been disemboweled and his armor seems to have done nothing to stop such a blow, next to the unmoving corpse, is what seems to be a mace from what Feyte saw with her quick glance.

The man on the ground, grizzled face, seems like a veteran from the scars that Feyte can see is holding tightly onto his shoulder to try and impede the bleeding but his pale face and detached arm on the ground holding a spear says otherwise on how this is going.

Of the three people standing, The one with the bow seems to be a lady and is staying close to the tree line, away from the bear while peppering it with arrows while the person in full armor is attempting to hold the bear off with their sword and shield. Meanwhile, the last one has two blades that he's holding, the blade right in front of his fists, they seem to be a thrusting weapon, not that Feyte has seen this particular weapon before.

As Feyte looks back to the battle she hears a thud, looking over, the shielded adventurer has been knocked to the ground by the bear who is now on top of them.

The Bear snarls as the man below it tries to push it back before it can finish him. The third man charges in with his blades and stabs the bear in the side while it's preoccupied, the bear quickly swings its paw and hits his arm while he tries to withdraw his weapon, knocking the weapon flying.

As the bear disarms the man, the armored adventurer rolls out from under the bear while an arrow flies at the bear's face. The Bear, being hit, narrowly missing its eye growls as the lady starts nocking another arrow. 

“Damnit! Get it now while we have the chance!”

The Armored man stands up and slashes at the bear who avoids the blow while the other man moves in for another thrust.

The thrust connects to the bear's leg, barely getting through its thick skin, as the Lady screams before abruptly gurgling.

Feyte looks over at the source of the scream and sees another bear on top of the lady tearing at her throat, she’s in her final death throes.

Feyte shakes with how brutal the sight is and the pure unadulterated terror in her eyes as they dim.

“SHIT, another one!”

“Im out of here man, i'm not fighting this!”

“WE CAN'T JUST LEAVE THEM BEHIND EVIN!”

“You do you man, I'm out of here!”

Screams the disarmed man before running off back in the direction of town, clearly not wanting to stick around.

“YOU BASTARD EVIN”

The armored man screams before the bear knocks him to the ground again and starts tearing into him.

“DAMN IT ALL!” are the last things the man says before he stops moving as the bear tears into him.

Feyte stares fearfully at what has just happened, the true danger of humans and how they can turn their backs at any moment, can anyone truly be trusted?

Feyte stares in terror at the bears and hopes they don't notice her before they leave.

The Bears start leaving as the sun starts going down and Feyte waits a few minutes before going down to grab what she can since they have no need of it anymore.

As Feyte goes through the carnage, she grabs the sword and shield, grabbing the mans scabbard as it seems to be in working condition still, she also grabs the bow and its quiver, putting them on, Feyte also finds 3 silver coins and 20 coppers across the 4 bodies.

She leaves it all at the bottom of the tree before climbing back up to see if she can get some rest since it's dark.

Finding a secure spot in the branches, Feyte moves to there before falling into a slumber, waiting for the morning to come.

Feyte awakens from her slumber and starts climbing down the tree, she grabs a loaf of bread out of her bag alongside her dirk and a bit of pork and starts cutting the bread and eating it with a bit of the pork. After finishing, Feyte stands up and continues her journey to Flame Village.

For anyone who doesn't know, the Shadoof is a See-saw like lift that is used for a well to pull up a bucket of water via the use of weighing down on a counterweight, used since 3000 BC and in various countries

The Man who had a weapon Feyte did not Recognise was Wielding Katar's, A thrusting weapon originating from India where the user holds onto a handle and in front of their knuckles is their blade.

Also, thanks for reading the chapter, means a lot to me.

3