Red Threat of Fate
55 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“…There is this belief originating from ancient China, that each person is born with a red string wrapped around their ankles and connected to their only true love. No matter the hardships and the years that it takes them to meet, the red threat will break at nothing and once the lovers meet, their life will be full of prosperity and happiness. And it’s not just the Chinese who believe in this concept of “soulmates”. In Japan, for example, the legend also exists with only a few differences, while the West World has its myths and legends, with the most popular being the one originating from Ancient Greece. According to Plato, human beings were created with four legs, four arms, and two heads. However, Zeus, the greatest of all Gods, feared their power, and with a lightning bolt he split them into two, forcing them to spend their lifetime searching for each other; their other half.”

           The oil had just started to fizzle. Teo left the tablet on the table, rushed to the frying pan, and threw inside the chicken breasts, cut into small pieces, and coated in pepper, salt, and grounded sweet chili. With a sigh of relief, as he made it just in time, the young man let the meat cook on both sides, before throwing in there the chopped onions, garlic, and mushrooms. He lowered the heat just a little bit, gave another stir, shaking a little the pan, and he let them sit there for a couple of minutes, for everything to cook slowly and nicely until the moment he’d pour the heavy cream. The smell was delicious, and his stomach, as well as his mouth, couldn’t just wait to taste them, especially with the pasta he was planning on cooking as a side dish. Chicken a la crème was one of his favorite foods and the one he first learned how to cook once he was old enough to be allowed inside the kitchen. He grabbed the salt, threw some in there, stirred the ingredients once again, and returned to his seat. He had five minutes ahead of him before using the heavy cream, and exactly forty-five minutes before his parents arrived. All he could do was relax some more, finish with cooking, prepare a salad, dress up and get ready for the upcoming battle. Was it too much to think like this? Perhaps.

 Teo grabbed the tablet with a sigh, but he continued reading the article on soulmates and the origins of this belief in different parts of the world. He knew quite well of the red string of fate, even though he did think that it sounded a bit like a fantasy – romance novel, and it was a theme that lately many would use in their stories and even tv-series. The true question was whether he did believe in such things. If there was only one person for each in a world populated by billions, then it was a sad, sad world. However, Teo could go down with the idea of finding a compatible partner; someone that could win over your heart and offer you life with few regrets and unforgettable moments.

 He glanced at the clock on the wall and got up, once more, to add the finishing touches to his food and prepare the water for the fettuccini pasta. He had set the table, and he even bought a few flowers for a long-forgotten vase that someone sent as a wedding gift. It was nothing special, made from crystal, somehow too thin to be even considered a flower vase and for years it was stored inside the living room’s cabinets. Carla never bothered using it and Teo – well, he even had forgotten that it existed, up to the moment he searched for a decent tablecloth. Why was it such a nuisance to prepare a formal dinner for the parents? he wondered with a heavy heart.

           His phone vibrated with a swift sound. For a moment there his hope went up high, yet the screen flashed Sonia’s name.

           “Hey, you” Teo held the phone against his ear with the help of his shoulder, as he was pouring the dried pasta into the boiling water.

            “Are you dead yet, champ?” she joked and Teo chuckled.

           “Unfortunately, not-ugh!” the man stepped back and shook his burning hand as he accidentally dipped it into the pot.

            “Don’t try so hard now, ok?” he grabbed a towel, stirred the pasta, and leaned against the counter, holding the cloth around his finger.

           “Well, I have like half an hour before they arrive, boiling water is one option and the other is leaping down from the top floor.”

           Silence. Teo sighed and brought his head down. He was a crybaby all these days, he knew that and he could tell. He didn’t need anyone to point out his toxic behavior towards himself.

           “What are you so afraid of?”

            “Them.”

            “You shouldn’t.”

           “You don’t say, huh?”

           “Teo, listen to me, ok? Stop exhausting yourself while trying to figure out what to do with them. There’s nothing that can be done at this point, right?” he exhaled and rubbed his forehead. The irritating pain on his finger was now the least of his concern. “Sometimes the only answer is to stay back, do nothing. Don’t fight, don’t overwhelm yourself with what ifs and how’s. Be proud of the man you are, cause the man you are today you owe it to yourself; no one else put you here, in this position. You achieved so many things simply because you wanted to and you won’t forget this truth because a couple decided to come back into your life and play with you. Once you realize that, you’ll feel much better."

            Silence, only this time it was longer yet less painful. Her words played again and again in his mind and no, she wasn’t wrong at all.

           “How are things with you and your girlfriend?” he felt like changing the subject. The atmosphere was suffocating enough and time was closing in. He needed to focus on something else just for a while.

           “We are…not back together if that is what you are asking

           “Shit! Sonia, I’m sorry. I totally-”

           “It’s fine. If I were you, I wouldn’t even think of asking. Anyways, had a nice little accident the other day on my way home.

           “Should I be worried?” he was concerned and he didn’t hide it.

            “Oh no. On the contrary. I met a very interesting fellow. His name is Lukka.”

           “Sounds foreign.” Teo turned the heat of the cooker to zero and pulled away the pot with a calmer expression this time.

           “Russian. The thing is that we had a nice talk and you know. It was nice” she sounded relaxed and Teo smiled.

           “I’m happy for you, Sonia.”

           “Me too, for me! Haha” the laugh was somehow forced but he didn’t pry more. “I know that they will be there at any moment now, so I’ll hang up. Call me right away if anything happens and especially when they leave.

           “Cross my heart, I will. Bye”.

           And just like that he placed the phone in his pocket. He then rinsed thoroughly the pasta and placed the pot on top of an oven mitt.

           “Alrighty, big boy. You got this.” It was a very lame try to pick himself up. He hadn’t felt like that since his college final exams. But there was no time for him to even take a breath as the doorbell echoed in the entire apartment.

           As he walked towards the door, Teo couldn’t shake off his head the article that he read and how it worshiped the idea of soulmates. Well, it would be a nice moment to see who was connected with his red string, as Carla apparently was not the right one. And if there was someone on the other side of the thread, would they ever come to his rescue? Unconditional and unbeatable love, huh? That bull only existed in fairytales.

1