Part 10: Copper Load of Those Guys
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Well, well, well...", said a voice from behind.

"Fancy seeing you here", followed another, like the end piece of a human centipede.

I didn't even need to look to know who it was, still, I turned to be polite.

"Reacharound, Lilpecker", I said.

"It's pronounced Vecharund", said Reacharound. "It's Dutch. "And it's Detective Vecharund, to you."

"And Detective Lilpecker", chimed in Lilpecker with a sense of pride that can only come from a lifetime of bullying.

"Is there something you wanted, other than to give me an elocution lesson?"

"Cut the crap, Jerk", said Reacharound. "What are you doing here?"

"I was thinking of taking up taxidermy, thought The Doc could give me a few tips."

"I hear he's always ready to give a tip,", said Lilpecker, with a snide tone. Hell, he was out of line, but he wasn't wrong.

"Now gentlemen", I said, "is there anything else I can do for you? Cause in my line of work I don't have time to stand around all day making idle gossip."

"But you have time for taxidermy?" Said Reacharound.

"Every man needs a hobby. I've got taxidermy, just like you've got Lilpecker."

I could see Lilpecker's hands tense. I'd been through the wringer already today, so figured another blow or two wouldn't add up to much.

"The only hobby I've got", said Reacharound, "is the law."

"Well maybe you should go pro, might get some better results."

Reacharound socked me in the gut, and I doubled over. I guess the blood pooling in my stomach from internal bleeding didn't provide as much padding as I'd imagined.

"Not so funny now, are we, wise guy?"

"I guess not, though I'd rather suffer at the hands of Reachround than go up against Lilpecker."

Lilpecker socked me on the jaw, and down I went.

"We know what you're up to", said Racharound, as he and Lilpecker loomed over me. "And you're to stay out of it. It's an active police investigation, so unless you want to be done with obstruction of justice in relation to a homicide, you'll leave well alone."

"Yeah," chimed Lilpecker, "she's ours".

"I don't know what you boys think you know", I said, staggering to my feet, "but I don't know anything about any murdered dame."

"Yeah, that's what you always say, but somehow you always end up in the middle of everything."

"I play by the book the best I can gentlemen, but sometimes you've got to see where the story carries you."

"Well watch your step, because if you're not careful it'll bring you right back here", said Reacharound, nodding towards the morgue.

"Is that a threat?"

"A warning from an old friend."

"I'll consider myself warned, friend."

With that Lilpecker spat at the ground at my feet and they headed towards the main building.

0