Part 12: Down The Barrel of a Gun
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I slept the sleep of the dead until I was rudely interrupted by the telephone.

I reached out my hand to answer but stopped when I heard a click.

I opened my eyes to find myself staring down the barrel of a gun. My gun, to be precise. I'd left it on the bed stand and now it was being brandished against me.

So much for self-defence.

"Answer it", said the gun handler. "And don't try to be cute."

I answered. It was Maureen.

"Is that so?" I said.

The office had been ransacked. The drawers emptied and the files rifled.

"Anything missing?"

Not as far as she could tell, although in this state it was impossible to tell. The only thing she noticed was my desk was bare.

"Is that so?"

It was.

"Ok, I'll be in as soon as I can."

Looked up the cold barrel to the cold eyes pointing it

"I'm not sure. I'm in bed and there's a dame so desperate to keep me here, she's pulled a gun on me. I'm sure I'll stop dreaming soon enough."

I hung up the phone.

I said 'don't be cute'."

"Is just my way", I said, reaching for the bedside cabinet drawer. "If wasn't cute, she'd suspect something was up."

She pointed the gun closer to me as if an extra inch were going to make any difference.

"I'm just getting a smoke", I said.

I opened the drawer and slowly brought out a packet of smokes and a box of matches.

"That's disgusting", she said.

"Couldn't agree more", I said, striking a match and putting it to the tip of the cigarette held between my lips. "But if that's the worst thing that happens to my health today, I'll consider myself lucky."

I blew a plume of smoke and she coughed, waving her free hand in front of her face.

I considered tackling her for the gun. I had the element of surprise and it was clear from the way she was holding it, that she was inexperienced with firearms. But truth was, I was still too beaten up, and from this position had no confidence I could move quickly enough to take her down before she got off a shot.

"So, do you want something in particular, or is this how you get your jollies?"

She grimaced. Clearly the delicate type. It was almost enough to make me curious what she was doing here.

"Where is it?" She asked.

"Where's what?"

"A woman came to see you."

"A lot of women come to see me, or I go to see them. You'll have to be more specific."

"About a case. Red hair. Desperate. Probably fed you some sob story or other."

"Is that so?"

"Don't." She pointed the gun at me.

"Now that I think about it, it might be ringing some bells. What's it to you?"

"I want to you drop it."

"Sorry, client paid upfront, handsomely too. What kind of man would I be if I didn't honour my obligations?"

"I'll pay you double for it."

"I think there's been some type of miscommunication."

"The manuscript." At these words, she shifted uneasily in her seat. I don't know how well she was trying to conceal how important it was to her, but I'd say it was a safe bet this doll would never make it as a professional poker player.

"What manuscript?" I didn't think I'd get anywhere, but it was worth a try.

"Don't give me that". She stood up, clearly, her nerves were too on edge. She paced the room. Her black heels clicked on the wooden floor and I wondered how she'd managed to get in her without me waking up. I must have been completely out of it.

I took her in for the first time. Taller than Red, less buxom. But dressed in black from toe to hair, she cut a more intimidating figure. The kind of woman who makes you want to win her approval, and get punished for it if you don't.

"Well, if you tell me what type of manuscript, maybe I can give it to you."

She stopped and turned.

"You have it?"

"I didn't say that. But right now, I don't even know what it is."

"It isn't hers."

"If you say so." I pulled back the covers and sat up, with some not inconsiderable effort.

"What are you doing?"

"I've got work to do", I said. "So if I'm not going to get any details out of you, or get you into bed, then I may as well get up."

I moved to the bathroom, splashed some water on my face.

"It's ok", I shouted. "You can come and watch. I won't be offended. In fact, I'd be offended if you didn't. Who knows what kind of weaponry I could have stashed back here?"

I began to clean my teeth and heard the door slam.

I walked back to the main room and saw she was gone. The gun too.

0