Part 18: Checking-In
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I drove for a few miles to make sure no one was tailing us, then a few more for good measure.

I pulled into the parking of an out-of-town dive motel. There wasn't much sign of life, but that's exactly what I was looking for.

The drive had been quiet, once she'd stopped screaming, that is. I'd thought about grilling her, but didn't seem there was much point. She was still sore from being thrown in the garbage, though I doubt I was the first man to do that to her.

I pulled into the parking space nearest reception, and she was out before I'd even put on the handbrake.

She took in lungfuls of air, even though she'd driven the whole way with the window down. She pulled at her dress, damp with some unidentified fluids. I could make a few guesses but thought better of it.

I walked past her, into reception. It was dark and dingy, the paint flaking off the walls, an old fan rattling from the corner. I didn't hold out much hope for AC in the rooms.

I walked up to the desk and there was a woman as decrepit as her surroundings. I placed her age at somewhere between thirty-five and sixty, depending on how tough a life she'd had. That she was working here got me to thinking she was on the lower end of the scale, and probably wouldn't make it to the upper.

"Evening", I said. "I need a room."

"Two rooms", chipped in the dame in black, entering behind me.

"Oh, sweetie. No need to be shy, not on our honeymoon."

The woman looked up from her magazine, interested in our little matrimonial dispute.

"Why, even married couples need a little privacy. Keeps things interesting."

"Two rooms it is", I said to the receptionist, who was evidently disappointed it didn't erupt into a full-on argument. "But uh, make sure they have a joining door." I winked at the receptionist but made sure they both saw it.

She stormed out as I sorted payment.

"How many nights?"

"Just the one, for now", I said. "Might need another, but might need the cash instead. For alimony."

The receptionist laughed as best she could, and handed me two keys.

I went outside and saw her doing little circles in the parking lot, evidently still in a huff.

I ignored her and walked towards to room eight. I could hear her approaching, her footsteps on the gravel.

I'd like my key", she said.

"And I'd like a million dollars", I said, not stopping.

"I can't believe you tried to get a single room."

"For safety", I said, unlocking the door. "Who's going to protect you from them when you're in there?"

"And who's going to protect me from you when I'm in there?"

"Oh, I'm sure you can protect yourself plenty, from the right kind of guy."

I entered the room and she barged in after me.

"You don't get to treat a lady like this", she said.

"Like what?" I took off my jacket and hung it up, sat down in a chair in the corner and undid my laces.

"Grabbing them, throwing them about the room, pulling them out of windows into piles of garbage. It's not very gentlemanly."

I slipped off my shoes and stood up.

"I never said I was a gentleman, and I don't recall doing any of that to a lady."

She marched over and went to slap me, but I caught her wrist.

"Only the first one's for free", I said, still holding her. She was inches from me and made no effort to move.

"I hate the smell of cigarette smoke."

"What about the taste?" I said.

"Even worse", and she leaned in to kiss me.

0