Chapter 9: The First Sing
59 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Yo, still alive?"

Chief asked the CEO who was slumped on his work desk. Yagoo was exhausted beyond belief, his eyes held a distant look of tiredness. 

"Does it look like I'm okay?! Couldn't you have least helped me?"

 

"Would you even help if I encountered the same thing with Alice-chan?" Chief scoffed as he glanced at Yagoo, double-checking that Yagoo's body was fine. Chise wouldn't do anything too extreme....yet...but it didn't hurt for Chief to find any problems. At least his pelvis was still intact.

".....No." Yagoo exasperated.

"Exactly, so you have to deal with it. Chise-chan is your wife so try to tone her down." (Chief)

"Come on! I'm not in my high school days anymore." (Yagoo)

"Use viagra." 

"....Shut up."

 

Yagoo exhaustively pushed a stack of documents on his desk, prompting Chief to take a look through its contents.

"Wow, you completed it quicker than expected."

"Well, they were worse than expected so that was why it was finished early."

 

The documents held numerous profiles of various dance and singing instructors. Since they were becoming an idol agency, Yagoo researched instructors for idol training, as suggested by his wife. However, despite a large number of promising applicants, all the papers were filled with red stamps of 'REJECTED'.

"Why are they all rejected? Some of them are decent." (Chief)

"Well, they didn't share our core vision for the company." (Yagoo)

"What did they say?"

"Some just applied for the money and conveniently had the right qualifications while others were hoping to add more names for their work profiles. None of them had the ambition that you drive in this company."

"You realised it."

"Yes...it brings a completely different work environment when everyone is motivated."

 

Chief placed down the documents and went on his phone, swiping some things to be sent to Alice.

'Dammit! I knew [BROKEN DREAMS] would be bad but it is starting to reveal its effects. Thank god I had my own construction team, otherwise, I would have a barely functioning infrastructure. Just a simple task like this and I can see why the world resetted multiple times.' (Chief)

 

"I'll arrange the instructors then." (Chief)

"Oh? Why didn't you do it in the first place?" (Yagoo)

"Well, I wanted to hire locals firstly and these instructors have....unique requirements for me to rope them in. I can guarantee their quality tho and I'll manage them accordingly."

"Sure, I'll trust you in handling the training in the meantime. Will they receive the same benefits?"

"No, they'll go by a different contract. It'll come from my end since I requested them.”

"Okay, I'll handle our returning employees and get them suited up for their new environment."

"Cool, go and take a dip at the onsen laterwards. You need to relax. A little part is already completed and I'll tell the workers when you arrive."

"....Right, forgot we have a goddamn onsen. I swear to god, no company would ever think of owning them!"

"You'll get used to it."

"..(ㆆ_ㆆ)..I shouldn't be getting used to it but I don't think I can change anyway."

"Great! I'll go and supervise the training today."

 

Yagoo was confused.

"Training? We don't have any instructors yet and I thought those lessons were scheduled for next week." (Yagoo)

"Well, Sora-san wanted to practice being inside her new studio and I couldn't really reject her enthusiasm." (Chief)

Chief shrugged at his schedule for the day as Yagoo leaned back in his chair, fingers resting on his brow.

"....We don't have any instructors!"

"Well, I can help a bit."

"(O_o)? You know how to dance and sing?"

"Of course, how else would I know the instructors if I didn't have an interest in their work."

"....Your expertises are jumping all over the place."

"I know, do you need anything before I leave?"

"Nah, I'll probably try that new cafeteria for lunch."

 

"Sure, I'll introduce the Piplups and Totodiles when we eat." Chief waved as he left the office.

 

'....What is a Piplup and Totodile?' (Yagoo)

 

=============

=============

 

(07/07/2017 | 10:02AM)

 

Two girls were exploring the new recording studio, filled with intricate equipment. Sora was curiously looking inside the soundproof booth which held the microphone, while A-chan was trying to figure out the machines. They were both making sure not to touch anything for fear of breaking it or accidentally changing the settings.

 

*TAP TAP*

"It's Chief, are you ready for your lesson? Well, it's not really a lesson but whatever." (Chief)

"Hi, Chief-san!" Sora walked out of the booth and opened the secure door of the studio, "Don't you also have access to the room?"

"Yes, but it's not polite to walk in a room with girls without permission. Sora-san, you can always reject our entry to your spaces as our talent." (Chief)

"Hai, Chief-san!" (Sora)

"What do you mean by not really having a lesson, Chief-san?" (A-chan)

 

"Well," Chief walked over to the equipment, starting up some recording and sound programs, "We actually don't have any instructors to teach Sora-san yet, but I didn't want to curb her enthusiasm so I took the task today. Let me see..... *checks phone*.....your vocal instructor will come next week but the dance teacher is being a pain in the ass, so we don't have a concise date. However, choreography is not a vital goal since you just started becoming an idol and you're more likely to do streaming."

A-chan raised a brow while Sora tried to apologise for asking for a lesson with no instructors.

"So...what are we going to do if we have no instructor?" (A-chan)

"Firstly, you need to get used to the programs and see if you like the set-up of the studio. This is Sora-san's very own exclusive studio unless we fill out all the remaining studios and need to share the booth but I doubt we'll have that many talents." (Chief)

 

Chief walked around the studio opening up compartments and drawers, even a secret opening wall that held expensive microphones and rigs and showed off each section.

"Here are the microphones, top brands to catch the best sounds and are hidden here. Only talents, managers and CEOs should know about this, so just grab the necessary equipment whenever you start the sessions to avoid outsiders from knowing their locations. These are the audio tracks that can be placed in the mixers and these buttons help record alongside various tools to mess around with the vocals or instrumentals. This here is actually a mini fridge filled with light snacks and refreshments, stocked daily. "

Sora was excitedly following behind Chief as she eyed the new toys at her disposal, as all damages that were caused during her working periods were fully compensated by Cover. However, her habits of taking good care of her belongings were still drilled into her so she won't damage anything...too much. A-chan was quickly writing and memorising the locations of each section on her little handbook, which prompted Chief to bonk her with another small book.

"This is a guidebook for the layout for the recording studio as well as the dance studio, which you can explore in your spare time. Since you are training to be Sora-san's manager, it is essential to learn vital equipment and administrative skills to assist Sora-san. However, you are still in training so don't hesitate to ask for my help." (Chief) 

 

A-chan eagerly took the book and started to read the more detailed notes from the studio.

"Chief-san, have you been a manager for anyone before?" (Sora)

"Well, I haven't been an idol manager before, though I have come across similar aspects of management before." (Chief)

A-chan grew a little bit anxious after finding out their boss has no experience.

'We should be fine tho, since he has been very professional this entire time......right? Chief even knows our identities but nothing has happened to us despite being on the Earth Plane.' (A-chan)

 

"What songs are you familiar with?" (Chief)

Sora thought for a bit before replying,

"Hmm, we only listened to Pop Music? I think that's what it was called. We had only been in the Earth Plane for a few months after all. I did learn how to play the lute and performed some instrumental mini-shows when I was in the clan."

"Instrumentals? You didn't sing despite being in the Kaguya Clan?" (Chief)

"Ah, I did try singing but Ankimo said I wasn't quite suited for our clan's songs." (Sora)

"Huh? Really, despite having such a lovely voice? Let's do a vocal test then. That old hag probably has rotten ears by now."

 

Sora blushed at the Chief's casual comment as he installed the microphones in the booth. A-chan was following behind, marking notes in the guidebook and diligently memorising the Chief's movements. A-chan and Chief sat in the control room while Sora was seated inside with a microphone and a pair of headphones resting on her head.

"We'll give a test now, the mic should be online now." (Chief)

"Okay! *short breaths* ♫Laaa~~ Lala~~Un Un~~ Tralalaaa~!♫" (Sora)

A-chan was entranced by the melodious voice since it has been a while since she heard Sora's singing. Chief, on the other hand, was unaffected by the singing. Instead, he was conversing with Alice-chan about the various songs that could work with Sora's voice.

 

'This song list here is fine and these ones, she sang them before and had heaps of fun with them. She hasn't sung these but they feel like they suit her, and I would love to listen to them. Oh! These haven't even been released yet, let's set a timer for when they get released and acquire the distribution rights....hopefully, they get released in this world.' (Chief)

<HER VOICE IS IDENTICAL TO YOUR MEMORY DESPITE YOUR VERSION BEING A COMPLETE HUMAN BEHIND THE MODEL. HOW DOES SHE EVEN LOOK IDENTICAL?!>

'I don't even want to bother about alternate realities and whatever, just grab the rights of the songs under our company and transfer them through to the Cover servers.' (Chief)

<UNDERSTOOD MASTER>

 

"Um, I'm done." (Sora)

Chief nodded and saved the recording for future reference. He was going to ask A-chan's opinion on the training, only to see her still in a trance. He gently nudged her, prompting her to return back to normal.

"Arck!" (A-chan)

"I know that Sora-san's voice is nice to listen to, but as an upcoming manager, you can't be distracted during performances since you are needed at all times if something were to happen." (Chief)

"My apologies, Chief-san" (A-chan)

"Just make sure I'm around so I can monitor things if you want to enjoy watching Sora-san."

"Hai!" 

"Anyway, good job Sora-san! I can see why the old hag held you off so we'll just get you to practice some pop songs that might suit you. Have you heard of Kataomoi by Aimer?" (Chief)

"I think so, I hear some pop songs occasionally whenever I go out with A-chan on her otaku trips." (Sora)

"Hmm, listen to it first and try to sing a cover of it. I'll set it up right now." (Chief)

 

A holographic tablet floated on a stand close to Sora's setup, angled to display the lyrics. The machines buzz within the speakers as the music starts to beat in the booth.  It was the first hearing for Sora, no need to blast her ears with the headphones. A-chan carefully listened for the first verse before recognising the song and continued to enjoy the song. Chief casually listened to the song and was more focused on monitoring Sora's reaction.

Sora was concentrating, attempting to sing along with Kataomoi. However, the music was very different and she could only sit there to slowly get used to the rhythm. She did feel embarrassed for failing to cover the song, feeling as though she let down her expectations from Chief.

 

"Don't worry, no one can cover a song during their first hearing. Just get used to the song after some repeats and breaks and you will get the hang of it!" Chief paused the music and pressed a button to speak in the booth.

"Hmph!" Sora nodded seriously, quietly mouthing the lyrics on the floating device and unaware of her nervous mood being washed away.

"See," Chief released the button and advised the newbie manager, "Observe and find out the complications your idol is facing. If their mood takes a dump, simple encouragements or compliments help lift their motivation. You can even change the day of the training if she isn't feeling it. Remember, Sora-san is still learning so only schedule one or two lessons per week, no need to cram up the week with work."

"Hai, Chief-san!" A-chan nodded and took notes of his advice.

 

The two managers watched Sora, who was learning the song but wasn't confident enough to sing any of the lyrics. The end chorus arrived and Sora hesitantly glanced at the two, probably trying to say some words to make up an excuse.

"Um, s-s-sorry! I was, um, f-f-f-feeling under the weather an-" (Sora)

"Don't worry." (Chief)

Chief walked inside the booth, holding his own microphone set and easily hooked it to the studio system. The girls were confused as he was getting comfy and popped another holographic tablet for himself. 

"Chief-san?" (Sora)

"Yes?" (Chief)

"Um, what are you doing?" (Sora)

"Huh? I'm singing with you." (Chief)

"You can sing?! Ah, sorry, Chief-san! That was an inap-"

"Of course, everyone can sing. However, I'm joining because you are nervous."

 

Sora turned wry, thinking about her terrible performance just then. She felt pretty pathetic having her boss help her in singing.

"Let's sing together, just like in a karaoke box. Treat this training, not as a serious practice but as a place to have fun singing with your friends. It's not like I need you to become the number one idol by tomorrow, you have all the time in the world."

"But Chie-san, you don't have to-"

"A-san, watch the machines so you can see the operations and buttons while we are singing. You can mess around with the system afterwards when the training is finished.

 

[GOD'S TELEKINESIS]

[SYSTEM HIJACK]

Chief's fingers danced in the air and the machines, outside the booth, clicked with each motion. The music was calibrated a bit slower, allowing more time for Sora to sing her lyrics. The strings started to beat in the speakers and Chief gestured to Sora to start the first verse. Her eyes glowed with determination, flashing an orange hue.

 

(*Kataomoi by Aimer*)

 

"♫Tatoeba kimi no kao ni mukashi yori SHIWA ga fuete mo sore demo ii nda

Boku ga GITAA wo omou youni kikenakunatte mo kokoro no uta wa kimi de afureteiru yo

Takai koe mo dasezu ni omoidoori utaenai

Sore demo unazuki nagara issho ni utatte kureru kana

Waren bakari no hakushuu mo hibiki wataru kansei mo iranai

Kimi dake wakatte yo wakatte yo♫" (Sora)

 

Chief comfortably waited his turn for the chorus while A-chan was in awe at the perfect delivery by Sora. Chief stretched, mimicking a popping sound from his arms and hands. He focused, initiating two skills to enhance the chorus.

 

[LULLABY]

[BARD'S PLAYGROUND]

 

=============

=============

 

(Sora's POV)

 

I breathed a sigh of relief, glad that my second try was going well. The first verse sounded alright, hopefully to the Chief's satisfaction. I sneaked a peek at the white-haired man across from me, looking ever so relaxed. Maybe I should take his advice and relax a bit like I was singing in a karaoke booth. 

The music quickly continued to the first chorus and I observed the Chief, who was relaxed and ready to sing.

The first chorus was sung.

 

"♫Darlin' yume ga kanatta no

Oniai no kotoba ga

Mitsukaranai yo

Darlin' yume ga kanatta no

'Aishiteru' ♫" (Chief)

 

.....

 

I was at a loss for words.

Chief carried the vocals so perfectly with the music and effortlessly sang with no hesitation. He didn't stutter. He paused correctly at each gap in the lyrics. He sang beautifully.

I was so drawn into his performance that he continued to complete the song without my involvement.

 

"♫Tatta ichido no tatta hitori no umarete kita shiawase ajiwatteru nda yo

Kyou ga Mein Disshu de owari no hi ni wa amasuppai Dezaato wo taberu no

Yama mo tani mo zenbu Furukoosu de

Ki ga kiku youna kotoba wa iranai subarashii tokubetsu mo iranai

Tada zutto zutto soba ni oite ite yo

Boku no omoi wa toshi wo toru to fueteku bakka da suki da yo

Wakatte yo wakatte yo♫" (Chief)

 

The second verse was completed, and done at the same quality as the first chorus. It was so pleasant to listen to. I turned towards the control panel, hoping to see A-chan's reaction, only to find our surroundings had completely changed.

We weren't in the booth or studio anymore, but instead in a cloudy...foggy park. Pale trees coated with soft leaves surrounded the park, and a lone wooden bench was placed near Chief and me. 

Chief had no reaction to the change of our surroundings, and only continued singing. The waves of the fog swayed with the rhythm as the third verse started to play.

A Japanese girl walked through the veil of mist, passing by Chief, A-chan and me, and sat at the lonely wooden bench. Her long black bangs covered her facial features, and an old portable camera was held in her right hand. Her pale lips moved in sync with the Chief's lyrics. It didn't look odd, despite no noise coming out of her mouth.

It was a duet.

Chief was the music and the girl was the story.

It was ... beautiful. A sight to behold.

 

"♫Nee Darlin' "Aishiteru"♫" (Chief)

 

The studio transformed back to its former appearance, the park and trees were no longer present. The Japanese girl and her lonely bench disappeared as well. I was back in my familiar seat with the microphone and headphones.

"W-w-what was that, Chief-san?" I asked hesitantly, afraid that it would be rude to dig at his secrets.

 

Chief was packing up his microphone when he heard my question, pausing a bit as though to figure out an answer.

"I guess you could call it my high mastery of singing," Chief shrugged, "When you reach my level, you can manipulate the music to create illusions and create a performance for your audience. At higher masteries, you can even change your surroundings permanently like leaving an art piece on the pavement."

"Wow!" I marvelled at the thought of the possibilities with the use of this technique. I knew Ankimo used her music to bewitch or seduce, but I never thought of creating illusions.

 

"Is this the use of [LAWS]? How come we never heard of any Gods with it?" A-chan asked when she was out of her shock.

"Well, this music manipulation is achieved through talent and effort. Gods who laze around with their [LAWS] have no chance of coming close to this. Maybe some that are naturally talented, but unlikely." Chief replied as he packed the microphone in its secure compartment.

"Do I have to achieve this level of singing?" I cautiously asked, afraid that my unconfidence would be bad for Chief's plans.

"Huh? This level of singing?" Chief chuckled, "No, no, no. That's near impossible right now, it takes too much time and even I haven't perfectly mastered this technique. This took me a couple of decades, so no need to aim so high. I would even be surprised if you can send chills to my spine if you sing well enough."

 

I sighed in relief, grateful that I didn't need to achieve an inconceivable goal. 

 

"Why don't you keep teaching Sora?" A-chan asked. I was afraid it was a rude question and was trying to stop A-chan's question. She jumped the gun far too quickly recently, got to help her get rid of that habit.

 

"I don't know how to teach it," Chief pondered before replying, "I haven’t fully mastered this skill and your instructor is much better than me."

I perked up at that last comment. The instructor was better than Chief?! That was already an unbelievable experience just then and now the instructor could even show something crazier!

 

“Bullshit.” A-chan shouted as she was helping with the packing of equipment, “You keep on breaking my worldview, Chief-san! First, the contract demons and then music coming to life. What’s next? Demons coming to life?!”

 

=============

=============

 

{Little Segment}

 

BOOM!

PLOP!

 

Akainu watched as his magma right arm flailed off to the side. His eyes dyed with horror after seeing the culprit of his missing arm. Ace collapsed in pain, with his back burning from the close contact with the magma. Luffy was fumbling, trying to help his older brother up.

 

“I-i-i-it’s y-y-you!” Akainu shouted and used his last arm to hold the bleeding open wound.

“Hello, little Admiral. Seems like you were taking care of my little brothers. Let me return the favour.” (Chief)

 

[CONQUEROR PALM]

BANG!

Chief shoved him with a palm, sending him flying across the battlefield and planted firmly into the walls beside Sengoku. Garp chuckled a bit, pulling the Admiral out of the wall. Sengoku and Tsuru still held stern expressions upon noticing the new arrival. They might have held back Whitebeard but Ace fleeing had been an upset and ‘him’ arriving had made things more problematic.

 

“Oi, White Moustache, what the hell have you been up to? Throwing the towel already? Roger had much more vigour during his deathbed.” (Chief)

“Gurararara! I’ll show you more vigour, Reaper!” (Whitebeard)

With a tear from his hand, cracks formed and shook the whole battlefield. Whitebeard used his devil fruit power to spread across Marineford, cracking a rift between the pirates and marines. Chief smirked, leaning a bit for a casual swing with his scythe and creating a larger split in the island. The land shook under the two powerhouses and prompted Sengoku and the three Admirals to use their haki to stop the force from hurting the marine fodder.

 

“POPS!!!”

“STOP IT, HE TOLD US TO GO AFTER SAVING ACE!”

“GET TO THE SHIPS! WE NEED TO SET SAIL!”

 

“TATSU / POPS!!!” (Luffy & Ace)

“Snap out of it!” Jinbei shouted at the two and dragged them away. Both were too weak to struggle and could only helplessly watch their brother and Pops shrink smaller and further, “They are buying us time for you guys to leave! Don’t waste the opportunity they brought for us!”

 

“..(╥﹏╥)..” The two brothers kept on weeping, tears wetting the poor fishman below.

 

SSHHIINNGG!

A ray of light zipped towards Whitebeard, with a bright empowered left leg, Kuzan was ready to deliver a kick towards the old man.

 

“Too slow.”

The Grim Reaper appeared in front of the light man, grasping his neck and punched into his abdomen. He was sent flying, landing in the huge arms of Monkey D. Garp.

 

“*Cough* Uh, thank you, Instructor Garp.” Kuzan was coughing blood from the punch, now trembling after witnessing the immense strength of the Reaper.

“I’ll take it from here!” Garp jumped down and confronted the Reaper. Sengoku joined along to confront Whitebeard and Tsuru providing support from the backlines.

 

“It doesn’t have to be like this.” (Garp)

Chief said nothing, smirking as though anticipating something. Sengoku and Whitebeard were already having their exchange, sending shockwaves from their devil fruits to each other, injuring unlucky marines who were too close. But Whitebeard couldn’t last for long, having succumbed to the grievous injuries and a deadly illness, collapsed from the fight. The Vice Admirals ran quickly to arrest the subdued Whitebeard and were relieved that there was only one pirate left after the rest had fled.

 

“To think you were in the Straw Hat Crew this entire time,” Sengoku said as he walked over to also confront Chief, “Then again, you have been hiding your identity this entire time. So where have you been hiding after Roger’s death?”

 

“Who knows?” Chief smirked.

The air grew still.

The sea trembled in fear.

The island rocked wildly.

 

Garp and Sengoku both felt the terrible aura behind the Reaper’s smile.

 

[NEGATE]

The aura dissipated along with the smile. 

He was no longer ‘feeling’ excited about the incredible battle with two prominent heroes of their generation.

Chief held a blank face.

 

“RUN!” Garp shouted, signalling all other marines to evacuate, “QUICK, BEFORE HE-”

 

[ENGATE]

BOOM!

Marineford collapsed as a huge shadowy figure loomed on the island.

An abomination was born.

Limbs sprouted out of the main body, each one holding a different animalistic trait. Muscles coiled around, increasing their size and density, ready to destroy and consume anything. Tendrils were already feasting on the land and dead bodies, providing more energy for their body.

 

BBBZZZZZTTTTTTZZZZZ!!!!!

A single human arm of the monstrosity held its trusty scythe and poured apocalyptic energy, surging the blade with chaotic nature.

SSSSSHHHHHIIIINNNNGGGG!

With a vertical and horizontal slice, the whole island was immediately sliced into bits. Marines scrambled to anything afloat while the pirates were watching the horror from afar.

 

“RRRRAAAAAHHHHH!!!” Garp threw a punch at Chief, watching in disbelief as the force was absorbed by the mangled mass and neutralised. Long tendrils twisted and sprung into action, piercing Garp, even puncturing his stomach.

 

WHOOOOOSH!

BBBBAAAANNNGGGG!

Garp was sent flying, smashing into a frigate and nearly sinking the poor sailors inside. Sengoku had to fall back, his big size was unable to defend against all the limbs and his comrade was taken out, making things harder to fight. But as he was fighting, Sengoku observed something about the beast.

 

It was growing larger.

But it didn’t look stable.

As though it was swelling.

 

[DETONATE]

BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!

 

Chief imploded, spreading the energy all over the island, destroying a quarter of the Marine fleet that were caught in the impact. A few unlucky pirates were too slow and suffered the same fate.

 

Marineford was gone.

Nothing was left.

 

Umm, I should’ve put a notice to say I would be taking my time with the chapters…I was procrastinating. Close to burn out and maybe even ditching this novel for writing other ideas but I knew I couldn’t really leave it so I still wrote. I even edited previous chapters to avoid writing this chapter. (AGAIN PROCRASTINATION)  Glad it turned out great, both the main chapter and little segment. Thank you for reading and I will get back with more chapters after fixing Black Bullet.

2