Chapter 2. The Director
42 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For a few precious moments, the room was overcome with silence. A storm of emotions raged in Alexander as he slowly realized what had just happened: a kindle of hope began to burn in him. The sense of inferiority he had struggled his whole life with could finally be dissolved rather than hidden away. Every day he prayed for opportunities and instead of a small wish, he was granted a life reversal. Pride, joy, curiosity, and uncertainty filled his mind as the seconds ticked by, but the silence lasted only a few naught moments.

“He’s been chosen! Move him back into the tunnel, and one of you run to the Office of Clan Affairs. Let them know we have a new inheritor.” The 7-foot tall, dark-skinned captain of Brandon’s guard stepped forward and yelled out a series of instructions. The straggler gray hairs on his long beard did nothing to detract from the powerful image of the retired sergeant. The sturdy set of muscles tucked beneath the black, leather armor imprinted with a flaming gorilla, the symbol of the Duke of the East, only lent to his authority.

“Ergo, please. There’s no need to rush over to report this to the clan. Alexander may have been chosen, but he still has the famous Z-ranked affinity. How about we just let him return to the hospital?”

Alexander turned to face his friend as he wondered why he seemed so desperate to keep this information contained. Although they joked about it constantly, Alexander knew Brandon wouldn’t bring up his lacking affinity to others unless necessary, and as far as he knew, being chosen as an inheritor to the 9-colored flames would lead to fireworks displays and tax-free purchases in the capital back in the days before the war. It was cause for celebration, so why did Brandon seem so nervous?

Ergo responded while continuing to direct the guards with hand gestures, “Master, you know the rules of the clan. Few are the nobles who are chosen by the flame each year. There have been no more than 3 this year, and this was a bountiful one. Additionally, I know you have grown quite fond of this medical aid. Now, he will be an official member of the clan. You two can remain close. Maybe he’ll be discharged to the same battlefield as you, master.”

The last sentence shook Alexander out of his stupor. “Wait, what?! The same battlefield? What do you mean the same battlefield? I-I-I can’t go to war. I can’t even use fire, and most importantly, I practice medicine. I took an oath to heal, not to cause more needless bloodshed!”

Following the sudden outburst, Ergo stared down Alexander and released a part of his aura, knocking down Alexander. “Do not mistake my patience with you for respect. Any care I have provided you with is due to the young master, but I will not tolerate any badmouthing of the clan.” He responded somberly.

The sound of running footsteps echoed into the underground room from the tunnel as the guard previously sent out returned. “Director Li from Clan Affairs has asked us to lead the new inheritor to his office immediately.”

Alexander felt a firm hand fall on his shoulder as Brandon leaned towards him. “Don’t worry, bro. Ergo here misspoke. Inheritors of the 9 flames are always sent out to war but only after a certain level of power is obtained. Your affinity is a boon now. In the best-case scenario, you’ll finally get to be a doctor. So for now, let’s get you dusted off and headed to this meeting.” Turning to face the guards, Brandon’s voice turned sterner. “Ergo, help Alexander off the floor and escort him to Director Li’s office. I expect no more intimidation on your end regardless of what he says. Also, have a guard take me back to the hospital. I need to lie down after all this commotion.” Brandon turned back to Alexander and added, “Keep your chin up, Ace! I’ll see you soon.”

As Brandon was wheeled away by a guard, he couldn’t help but think about what would happen to Alexander next. There’s no way the clan will let Ace continue his practice of medicine now that he’s been chosen by the flames. The mandatory training period and the ideology taught will definitely drive him nuts. I’m gonna need some backup here.

 


 

The office of Clan Affairs stood back near the public port entrance to Agni in the southeastern side of the island. It was a pristine building constructed as a large one-story villa; the white stone walls served as a sharp contrast to the black gates surrounding the island. The inside lobby was neatly decorated with hardwood floors. Statues of the most legendary fire beasts lined the walls, and portraits of the current royal leaders of Agni hung between each statue: the 7 Marquis, 3 dukes and the current King of Fausto. Standing in front of one of the Marquis’ portraits, waited a hunched over white, elderly man with only a few white hairs left on his head- Director Li.

After the party reached Director Li, Ergo stepped forward and bowed to the elderly man. “At ease, men! Sir, we have brought the new inheritor as requested. Is there anything else you need of us?”

Director Li turned to face the group while taking out some glasses from his pocket to examine the new inheritor. “No need. Thank you for the hurry. You may now return to your duties. As for you child, follow me into my office. Clan rules dictate we must register you into Agni now that you have inherited our technique, and it would be most improper to do that out in the lobby.”

Alexander watched as Director Li turned and slowly shuffled away. After a moment of hesitation, he moved to follow. Still attempting to wrap his head around the sudden turn of events, Alexander was lost in thought until he entered an office; looking around, the office was quite bare. Apart from a large wooden desk and two chairs, there was no other furniture or decoration in the room save for the back wall. Surrounding an open window looking out into a garden were two trophy cases, each filled with war commendations.

Noticing Alexander’s lingering gaze on the trophies, Director Li obliged, “Prior to taking over as Director of Clan affairs, it was my absolute honor to represent Fausto in the war. 15 years I led and fought side by side with our troops as a Marquis; however, with my growing years, I decided to step down and allow my daughter to take over my position. But enough about me, please, sit. We are here to both induct you and give you an explanation for what your future will look like now that you have become one of the lucky inheritors of the flame.”

Nervously taking a seat, Alexander word vomited every thought he had been struggling to keep in. “I-I don’t understand what happened. I mean I’ve heard of commoners visiting the flame and gaining inspiration for their own techniques, but I was chosen? How does that even happen? Can that even happen? I have the lowest affinity ever recorded! They had to create a whole new level because my affinity was so poor it didn’t feel fair to be grouped with the F ranked affinities. And Brandon’s guard mentioned something about a battlefield? I’m no soldi-” As Alexander’s voice reached a crescendo, he was interrupted by Director Li.

“Take a deep breath.” Director Li slowly raised his hand to steady Alexander. “I can see how this would be shocking. I had no idea you were the famous world record breaker, but let’s slow down. Why don’t we start with a brief introduction on what happened. I believe that with a proper understanding of the situation, you’ll be able to be a bit calmer, and let’s go ahead and get you a glass of water to help with the nerves.” Director Li pressed a button on his desk and requested water. “You know I never did like those Sabian people from Derapen, what with them claiming neutrality in the war, but they do make some interesting contraptions.” He said pointing at the intercom.

An attendant quickly brought in a glass of water, and after allowing Alexander to have a few sips, he spoke again. “Let me begin by answering your first question. Commoners can be chosen as inheritors by the flame. Although according to the records division, in the hundreds of years of history in our great clan, you are only the 15th. The flame, you see, has never been the property of our clan. We act as its guardians, and due to our bloodline, we are many times more likely to be chosen by the flame as opposed to anyone else. That does not, however, obstruct it from choosing someone else- it has a degree of sentience. In the past, commoners chosen were geniuses. Individuals who helped lead our clan to greatness. The last one was a dragon amongst men. He revolutionized our techniques by vastly increasing the efficiency of violet flame training and was said to be able to block a move from the previous king himself. Unfortunately, he passed away prior to the beginning of the war. A disheartening fact as I am sure he would have been a glorious warrior on the battlefield, yet I digress. I cannot speak to why the flame has chosen you but do keep in mind the flame always has its reasons.”

Alexander took a moment to digest the information he had just received before continuing. “I understand the flame must have had a reason, but that does not detract from my lacking affinity. Is it possible for me to even learn fire techniques?”

“Why of course you can! We’ll get to the lessons later, but there is something you must understand. Affinity only governs how your body absorbs mana. It is an undisputable fact you will progress through the tiers of Elementalists slowly. A simple, cursory scan right now tells me you’re not even an Apprentice tier yet, and while this is partly due to you having no technique to practice your whole life, the main reason is your affinity.”

Nodding in understanding, Alexander continued, “But that’s why I ask if it’s even possible to train the 9 flames. I have tried to practice techniques before, from the cheap ones I could afford all the way to the high-tiered techniques Dr. Hernandez, my mentor, could find. Not once did I find success.”

“Alexander, fire techniques are only amalgamations of the different paths Elementalists have found to learn certain colors. And there lies the difference. Where all techniques require its user to have understood the red color, basic control over your element, the 9 colored flame has no such start. Instead, it gifts you an affinity for all nine colors. While the clan has gathered records and lessons for the concepts that work best, the greatest strength given by the 9 colored flame is freedom to learn everything. Although the power in an Elementalist is rooted in one’s affinity, progress in the 9 flames technique comes through understanding. Each color of the flame represents a specific concept- an attribute of fire that once understood can be applied to our magic.”

Dazed by the director’s explanation, Alexander was silent for a few moments. Could it be I’ll finally get a chance to progress. Can I leave behind the infamy? But he’s yet to answer my questions about joining the war. All I want is to learn healing flames; I don’t want to become some warrior. I want to be a full-fledged healer who can help others not hurt them. As he thought this, his eyes shot up and met Director Li’s.

Noticing his intent, Director Li continued, “You will not be deployed to any battlefield for the foreseeable future. While most practitioners of the 9 flames have been sent out, as an initiate, there is nothing you would bring to the war other than your death. The clan is strict about these things. When a new inheritor pops up, they are to be trained within the clan by a senior practitioner, and no dangerous missions can be assigned to them until they have completed mastery of red, orange, and yellow flames. Even if you end up being a genius in understanding the concept fire, your lacking affinity will prevent you from growing powerful quickly. There is no way the clan would send you out even if you managed to master the first 3 flames if you were still an Apprentice level Elementalist. There are rare treasures that can increase your cultivation, but these are times of war, young man. The clan will not easily spend its resources on a fledgling Elementalist.”

Now that Director Li had clearly stated he would not be drafted into the war, the anxiety coursing through Alexander was replaced by excitement. Maybe Brandon was right. This was his big break. Finally, he could become a full physician. All this time, despite Dr. Hernandez’ support, Alexander was held back by the fact he couldn’t use a white flame. He tried for years to learn a white colored technique to no avail, but the 9 colored flame had EVERY color. The 9 colored flame could give him his dreams.

“Okay, so what’s next?” Alexander was beaming with enthusiasm at this point. “You mentioned this was primarily a meeting to induct me into the clan. Let’s do it. I want to learn the flames. Can we start today?!”

Director Li smiled. “Ah, yes, the induction. This is just to formalize your union to the clan. Technically, you are already a part of Agni as to pursue the path of the 9 colored flame is to be a part of our clan, but as an outsider joining us, we do have this additional step. There is a pledge you must sign, but again, it is merely a formality. It used to be a soul binding contract, but due to our current war with the Frigg clan, we don’t have access to those anymore.”

The director slid over a paper and a pen. As Alexander grabbed the page, he noted It was only three sentences.

I promise to work for Agni, to fight for Agni, and to bleed for Agni. Let the success of the clan be my own and any blemish an insult to myself. I give my entire being to the clan, and if I am ever to turn away from the clan, death itself will be the price.

“Umm, this pledge is rather heavy, and death for going against the clan seems a bit drastic, doesn’t it?”

“Nonsense, it is an honor to join Agni. In my opinion, forfeiting your life is too small a cost for betraying our home, but that is not something you need to concern yourself with. You won’t betray the clan, will you?” As Director Li asked this, he released a sliver of his aura, causing chills to run down Alexander’s back.

Responding seemed foolhardy with how intensely Director Li seemed to feel about the clan, and Alexander could not imagine any reason he would want to leave Agni. They were giving him so much without asking for anything in return. He would gladly work as a physician to heal any injured clan members for the rest of his life if that was all the clan asked for. After all, Alexander’s wish from the very beginning was to be able to help his planet. The war had hurt too many people, ripped too many families apart, his included. Healers who practiced the 9 colored flame were rumored to be the best in the galaxy, rivaled only by the healers at Demeter- the plant Elementalist noble clan, but they were unfortunately all needed in the front lines to help defend Fausto as they were also some of the strongest fighters. Someone devoted to the path of healing like him would surely be a boon.

He signed the pledge and returned it to Director Li as he wondered if everyone in this clan was as zealous in their love for Agni.

“Wonderful, wonderful!” Director Li clasped his hands and stood up from his chair. “Then follow me, young man. As I said before, by clan law, a senior must instruct any new inheritor, but because you are starting at a level even lower than beginner, we can’t really place you in the children’s classroom. Instead, I will teach you myself until you approach a basic level and can join the kids. Generally, this wouldn’t happen, but as all other inheritors are currently out on different missions and battlefields, the only people who can teach you are me and the Duke of the East. I don’t think you need an explanation as to why it will be me as opposed to him.” While the director continued his explanation, he and Alexander had walked out of the lobby and were quickly approaching the tunnel leading to the 9-colored flame once again.

Noticing the sun was already beginning to set behind the duke of the East’s tower, Alexander grew a little embarrassed at his earlier rush. “It’s already so late in the day. Are you sure we should be starting the training so soon? I can always be back at your office first thing in the morning.”

“Don’t be so hasty to call it a day. We aren’t starting your training just yet. Usually, the children of the clan undergo a lesson on the 9 colored flame prior to entering the flower field. Upon being chosen, they undergo enlightenment by the flame to receive a boost in their understanding and immediately receive a rudimentary understanding of the orange flame. The reason we rushed to get you into my office was because if you had stayed near the flame for too long, you would have undergone the enlightening and wasted a once in a lifetime opportunity to be taught by the flame itself. Under its tutelage, you should finally be able to grasp red fire- even orange fire is within the realm of possibilities.”

Now having reached the end of the tunnel, Director Li began sharing his knowledge of the 9 flames technique. “Fire is the heat that warms the home, the light in the planet. To become an inheritor is to step into the path of dominion over fire- dominion over life itself. Imagine a flame in your mind. Feel the heat it produces; smell the smoke it lets out.” Entranced, Alexander began stepping forward towards the flower field, concentration evident on his face. “To commune with fire is to understand its properties. Fire builds, and it destroys. It can burn the physical as well as the spiritual. It is a companion to both the user and the environment. Fire burns, but it can also give life.”

As Director Li finished the chant, the 9 colored flame had already surrounded Alexander. The flame glowed brighter and brighter until it was blinding. A few seconds later, the light died down, as the flame returned deeper into the flower fields, but Alexander continued to emanate flames.

I knew the wisdom of the Holy Flame could overcome any deficiencies in the child’s body. With this, he has taken his first steps towards glory for the clan. But wait… THAT’S IMPOSSIBLE!!

2