Chapter 15. A Pirate’s Slave
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As soon as the swordsman agreed to a ceasefire, Alexander ignored his sniffles and jumped of the boat to run towards Thomas. His armor was cracked all over and stained with blood. His prompt decision to freeze his wounds had prevented excessive blood loss, but he was still in terrible shape. His breathing was erratic, and the armor around his back was dyed a dark red. After a cursory analysis with scan, Alexander began to heal the worst wounds: the stomach and back stab wounds. Not caring to save his mana, the wounds sealed after a few minutes, and Thomas regained consciousness.

Still drowsy, Thomas asked, “Did I win?”

Now focused on healing Thomas’ chest wound, Alexander decided to save his friend’s pride and lied through his teeth. “Yes, you did a great job, and defeated the enemy. Pengu and I are totally safe.”

Happy to hear the news, Thomas fainted once more, except this time his breathing was deep and calm. Managing to eventually remove the sword from Thomas’ back, Alexander finally got Thomas out of critical condition. He then rolled Thomas unto his back and lifted him into a piggyback. Once they returned to the deck of the sand boat, Alexander carefully laid Thomas down beside him and looked to the swordsman and child.

The man was currently vibrating his hand on the little girl’s back. Surprised by the utility with which the man used his power, Alexander spoke out. “That’s actually very good for her. Who taught you to do that?”

The man paused and turned to look at Alexander, his eyes still red from the tears he had shed. “There is a healer back in the pirate’s den. She gives Pola here a monthly treatment and recommended I use my superspeed as a means to improve her quality of life between each session.” Giving Pola a kiss in the forehead, the man approached Alexander and extended his hand. “By the way, I don’t think we’ve introduced ourselves. If you are granting us your kindness by healing her, the least we can do is be polite. My name is Kai, and the little rascal over there is my little sister Pola.”

Alexander was taken aback by the pirate’s sudden courtesy but quickly snapped out of it and shook Kai’s hand. “I’m Alexander, and the penguin over there is Pengu. I suppose you already know who Thomas is.”

Kai’s face reddened when Alexander mentioned Thomas, and he quickly did a half-bow. “I am so sorry for leaving your friend in that state. I was only fighting to allow Pola to have her next treatment session, but if I knew the mission would cause me to come at odds with a venerable doctor such as yourself, I would have never agreed.”

“Thomas is fine. As long as you no longer attack us, there will be no grudges on our end.” Alexander waved off the apology. “I’m more interested to hear about these treatment sessions. If this doctor could halt the symptoms of Pola’s disease, why didn’t she just cure her? Also, why is the treatment the reward for bringing Thomas’ head back?”

An uncertain look in his eyes, Kai halted the conversation. “With all due respect, before we begin talking about more personal matters, I’d like to make sure you can actually cure my sister. You seem like a nice person, you really do, but I need to make sure this wasn’t just a bluff to gain time.” Lightning sparkling within his eyes, Kai's aura threatened to crush Alexander. “I will not hesitate to finish my mission with an added head if this is just some ruse.”

With no hesitation, Alexander sat next to Pola again. “I’m going to place my hands on her back, right in the middle of her shoulder blades. My healing magic is a little… Well, you could call it unique, but I need to make direct contact with a person to use it. Is this okay?”

Kai and Pola soon agreed, although Kai seemed less than enthused at the idea. Alexander made Pola sit up and away from him and promptly placed his hands where her lungs would be. Taking a deep breath, he began to focus as much mana as possible into his hands. An ephemeral blaze of white flames surrounded his hands before quieting back down into a soft glow. This was the first time he had attempted to heal at full power ever since reaching the Senior Apprentice tier, and he was pleasantly surprised at the results.

Basking in the cozy warmth being transmitted into her body, Pola lightly exhaled as she felt her lungs begin to clear up. “Big brother, it’s working! It feels just like… it feels just like a Heating P-”

Interrupting any possibility of his nickname following him to Derapen, Alexander barged into the conversation. “Yes, I suppose you could call this a heating prayer, but hush now, child. Let’s focus on getting you better.” Closing his eyes, Alexander focused on guiding his flames into her lungs.

After half an hour, he finally felt his mana reserves begin to drop low and prudently extinguished the white flame. I’ve just about tripled my mana by upgrading my tier. I can probably push it to 45 minutes of max power healing, but I would be left totally empty. Using scan once more to judge the efficiency of his flames, Alexander was satisfied with the effects. “I trust you believe I can cure her now?”

Nodding his head, the man was mute. Deep emotions rumbled within his eyes, but try as he did, no words came out of his open mouth. Instead, he walked over to the side of the boat and aimed his hand towards the rubble of his flying ship. The metal came to life as it floated and began to coat the group’s sand boat. The ship was much larger than the sand boat, so the majority of the metal went into creating a platform below the now metal plated hull. Soon enough, the boat was floating in the air above the platform.

Once Kai had finished upgrading their boat, it flew forward as Kai went to sit on a table in the deck. Finally gathering himself, he muttered. “I’m gonna go ahead and move us a few miles away to prevent any other scouting pirates from chancing upon us. Where are you guys headed?”

Frowning in stupor, it took Alexander a full minute before he was able to form a sentence. “This isn’t Sabian tech? You’re actually moving the metal by your own magic, but I’ve never even heard of a power like this! Why didn’t you use this in your duel with Thomas?”

“That is a story better told over a meal. So again I ask, where are you guys headed?”

Alexander scrounged up his eyebrows as he realized the pirate he had made a deal with was proving to be as peculiar as he and Thomas. “Port Talan. We are headed for the Southeastern coast.”

 


 

The speed with which the boat traveled while airborne in comparison with the hook system was like night and day. It took only 15 minutes before they were 50 miles away, and good news this was. Their boat was now half destroyed after it crashed twice during the short trip. Within their new location, the climate had completely changed now that they were so close to the ocean. While the Tecon Desert had always been cool, Alexander had needed to deck himself out in full winter attire before he felt some semblance of warmth. Now clothed in a navy blue coat, a red scarf and the fur boats they had been gifted back in Kalas, Alexander lamented having not mastered the red color yet. The winter is mana draining for Fire Elementalists, but I must be the first Senior Apprentice to have to weather the storm like this.

Rubbing his hands together as he emitted soft, white flames to keep his fingers warm, Alexander looked around the vicinities. Kai had stopped the sand boat in a forest filled with red leaved trees. The sand had finally given way to grass, and a small creak ran playfully between the trees.

Kai walked beside Alexander before speaking out. “You guys were doing a great job throwing the pirates off your trail. You ended up way south, but this creek here should feed into the Aion River. Once at the river, follow it east, and you will reach Port Talan. Doesn’t matter, though. I’ll guide you later. Right now, I’m starving, and you know what they say: sharing a meal deletes all grudges.” As he said the last part, he looked in Thomas’ direction.

Thomas had awoken a few minutes ago much more clearheaded. Alexander summarized what had happened and why they were now traveling with Kai and Pola, but Thomas was livid. Upset that he lost to an opponent going easy on him and furious at the thought of Alexander having to negotiate with the enemy to save his life, Thomas had laid with Pengu refusing to speak to anybody else.

Walking over to sit beside Thomas and Pengu, Alexander watched as Kai and Pola set the picnic table with food. “I think we should have lunch with them and hear what they have to say. I know we didn’t meet under the best circumstances, but they need us. Treating Pola will take time. Time in which they must remain on our good side. Plus, I don’t actually think they’re bad people. When I scan them, all I feel is mutual love between each other and a determination to stay together.” The more he used scan, the more he felt as if he could also see a person’s intentions. He had felt it when he decided to stay with Thomas, and he was feeling it again as he saw Kai and Pola.

Thomas’ face was unreadable as he listened to Alexander. Playing with a drowsy Pengu, he answered shortly. “I disagree with trusting them so easily, but I’m not leaving Pengu with those felons. I’ll tolerate sitting there as we eat, but don’t expect me to play nice.” With an apathetic expression, Thomas slowly made his way to the picnic table, Pengu stowed under his arm.

 


 

Eating at the lunch table was awkward. Thomas methodically sliced a piece of guanaco filet so thoroughly it was as if he was performing surgery on it. Meanwhile, Kai and Pola playfully ate rice bowls. Each time the two laughed, the temperature would drop by a few degrees as Thomas threw them a nasty glare. Kai would respond by asking Thomas how his mana recovery was going. Both Alexander and Kai were eating elemental affinity food to boost their recovery, but Alexander had been unable to find any vendors of water mana replenishing meals. The jab at his current state caused the temperature to drop even further as the loop restarted. The tension could be cut with a knife.

Unwilling to be caught between the petty bickering any longer, Alexander urged Kai to tell his story. “Kai, please, that’s enough of the teasing. You mentioned earlier that the circumstances surrounding Pola’s treatment were complicated, and you clearly held back despite being sent here to capture Thomas. Care to elaborate?”

Growing a little more serious, Kai motioned to Pola who grabbed the rest of her bowl and went to sit by the side of the deck overlooking the forest. Clearing his throat, Kai spoke in a somber tone. “The concept infused in my yellow color is electromagnetism.” Thomas’ eyes shook while Alexander remained confused. “That didn’t really have the intended wow factor I expected, but okay.” A light chuckle escaped Kai before he continued. “Anyways, I was 10 years old when I understood the color, and the Jupiter clan was quick to scoop me out of school and throw me into one of their training programs. I was happy at first. I mean what child could resist that type of attention. I was surrounded by the most talented people in the Jupiter clan along with the children of the 6 Lords; the Empress herself told me I would be a blade for the future generation of Propizio. How I wish I could go back and change everything.” A forlorn look settled into Kai’s eyes as he looked into the horizon.

Finally addressing Kai directly, Thomas spoke with shock in his voice. “You were one of the arena children. But if you’re an Inquisitor, why are you so terrible at controlling metal?”

Brought back to the present, Kai grinned. “I suppose I should be honored even a prince of Tlaloc knows who I am. Yes, after four years of training, I was thrown into the arena to fight for the opportunity to join the Divine Lightning squadron and become a full-fledged Inquisitor, or at least that’s what they told us. However, it turns out I wasn’t even talented enough for that. I was defeated in the quarterfinals of my group’s deathmatches. The only reason I survived was the Pirate Empress personally requesting me for her expedition to the island of Kedra. After my failure in the arena, my mother sold me off to the clan, and I was deployed here. The clan taught me sword skills and fighting techniques, but I am self-taught when it comes to using my colors because I was shipped away here. The Inquisitors never taught me.” Sparks of lightning crackled around him as he recalled one of his darkest memories.

“Wait up for a second.” Thomas interrupted Kai as he rushed to Alexander’s backpack. Digging around, he found what he was looking for and returned to the table. “I read about the atrocities the training of those children consisted of. No one, not even an enemy of mine should have to go through something like that. It’s not much, but I hope this takes a bit of the edge off.” He proceeded to pour out three cups of wine.

Kai was touched by the gesture and clinked Thomas’ glass in thanks. “This was prior to the war starting, it’s been more than 17 years now. I assure you I’ve moved on, but regardless, I appreciate your generosity. Now, where was I? Oh, right. Having missed the privilege to learn under Lord Ottilie and her Lightning Inquisitors, I was lost and alone. My entire life had revolved around entering the Divine Lightning squadron, and now, I was chained to another planet entirely, not allowed to return home of my own volition. I was angry and aimless. Refusing to follow any of the pirate’s orders, I was treated like trash for years. But life has a funny way of turning up when you least expect it; after years spent as a mere shell of a human, I ran into an abandoned baby Pola and had life breathed right back into me. The only problem was she was deeply ill. I rushed to the only physician in the pirate’s den but was intercepted by the Pirate Empress. You see, up until then, I was only the shadow of the Elementalist I used to be. Threats of death or torture did not matter to me no matter how harrowing. Using my sister’s disease as leverage, I was forced to become the Green Mamba’s lapdog in return for a monthly treatment session.”

A hushed whisper interrupted Kai. “Big brother?”

Flicking Pola in her forehead, Kai urged her to go back to her lounge chair. “Don’t worry. I’m almost done chatting with our new friends here. I can play with you in a minute, so why don’t you go ahead and start without me?”

Pola looked like she still wanted to say something, but eventually, she relented and walked back to the side.

“Sorry about that, guys. To finish my tale, I’ve been a prisoner to Green Mamba for the past ten years. I won’t lie to you; I’ve committed heinous crimes throughout Kedra. Despite disagreeing with the clan’s methods, I kept my head down for Pola. Although whenever possible, I completed the clan’s missions in the most humane way possible. Thomas was strong enough to fight me on almost equal grounds. I knew if I was to use my electromagnetic abilities I could win faster, but I was unwilling to use a method that would cause unimaginable pain. Now, that I see a way for her to live a healthy life. I am willing to accept any punishment you see fit. My only wish is to see a cured Pola.”

Thomas reluctantly sighed as he felt any anger he previously felt for Kai dissipate. “I would certainly do much more stupid and terrible things for a loved one. My ego is still a bit bruised, but I think you are an honorable man.”

Alexander swirled the wine in his glass as he stared into it pensively. “I was almost turned into a weapon by Agni. I actually ran away to Kedra to live in freedom. Hearing your story, I can’t help but think about what I would have done in your shoes. Thomas has already forgiven you, and I can only agree I think you made the best out of a shitty situation. We don’t intend to bring down any sort of punishment on you, Kai. Just-”

A small voice again interrupted the conversation. “Umm, Kai… Can you come over here, please.”

This time Alexander ruffled Pola’s hair as she placed Pengu into her hands. “Here you go, Pola. I know it’s a little boring over there, and with how much she’s been rustling, I think Pengu wants to play. How about she goes with you?”

Confused with how to respond, Pola carried a curious Pengu back toward her lounge chair.

Hammering his point down, Kai continued. “Alexander, I don’t think you understand. By promising to treat Pola, you have granted us freedom. No longer do I need to be chained to the Green Mamba pirates. If not punishment, then give me a task. I want to repay you both.

Alexander extended his hand across the table. “I don’t intend to free you from one prison to put you in another. The pirates will be hunting us both once they find out you are leaving them. I doubt they would be okay with a Lord tier abandoning them, so how about you join us as a friend? You and Pola can travel with us while I provide her with her treatments. Once she is cured, you can decide what to do with your life from there.”

Seeing the earnest look in Alexander’s eyes, Kai shook his hand firmly. Friends, huh? It sounds so stupid to think about now after all these years, but maybe this is exactly what Pola and I need.

“Umm, I hate to interrupt your little bromance handshake there, but I think Pola was maybe trying to tell us something.”

Facing Thomas, Alexander felt perplexed by the sudden comment. “What in tarnation are you talking about.”

Pointing towards the side of the boat, Thomas quizzically tilted his head. “Well… we’re surrounded by pirates.”

1