Chapter 23. The Turtle Saint
3 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Following behind the Turtbros, Thomas turned to Alexander. “This is perfect. The faster we get to their clan grounds, the sooner we can leave this challenge. Pretty sure there’s only three, and what I’m after is the gifts at the end. My grandma always said the dragon gifted the victors power. That’s what I need.”

With a tinge of concern, Alexander responded. “I understand, but we lied to these turtles. What if they find out. They’re stronger than you think, Thomas.”

“And how strong would that be?”

Interrupting the conversation, Boss Turtle urged them forward. “You’re lagging behind, Noble Ones. Hurry up! We are about to exit the illusion area!”

The three floating turtles approached a large bald cypress tree and shot a beam of psychic mana towards it. The three pink rays attacked the tree which began to fade in and out of existence as if it were a hologram running into interference. Slowly but surely, a wooden door appeared on the tree. Golden light shone through the cracks of its outline. One of the turtles raised their front claw as they forced the door to open itself.

Through the doorway, Alexander could see a large waterfall roaring down into a rocky clearing in the distance. Bald cypresses continued to prosper in the area, but large mossy stones covering the area created space between each tree. Water from the waterfall flowed freely between the rocks allowing the inhabitants of the clearing to sunbathe and swim as they wished.

Many long-necked turtles, looking like larger versions of the Turtbros, loitered peacefully in the area. Pink, gaseous mana, the sign of psychic magic, emanated from every single turtle in the clearing. Sleeping ones floated through the skies, projecting their dreams like movies. Under the waterfall, a squadron of turtles sat upright with their back legs crossed. A loud hum of meditation was chanted by each of them.

As Alexander stepped through the gateway, he took in the sight of the turtle wonderland. The closer he got to the clearing, the more groups of turtles he could see. Above the small hill where the waterfall originated, turtles with cloth belts orchestrated martial arts movements with their psychic mana, repeating the actions of a turtle floating higher than them, and in between the trees off to the side, he could see batches of tiny turtles zooming through the shrubs as they played a telekinetic version of tag.

Noticing the newcomers, a five-foot tall turtle approached them. “Evan, Clyde, Benson! What are you troublemakers up to now? Where did you find these humans?”

The Boss turtle, otherwise known as Benson, answered the senior turtle’s question. “These are the new challengers. We ran into them, and they offered us some much needed help. Within their ranks are a baby dragon and a Turtle Prophet.”

The large turtle extended his neck as he snaked his way towards the group. “I see the baby dragon, but what’s this about a Turtle Prophet? I’ve never heard of such a profession.” 

Thomas smiled broadly. “Yes, that’s very likely. You see a Turtle Prophet-”

“Is a fake job we made up to keep the Turtbros from fighting.” Unwilling to let the lie continue any further, Alexander stepped in. “Due to a misunderstanding when we met them, Evan and Clyde were getting ready to kill… Benson. We weren’t exactly sure how to stop them from harming one another so we came up with the Turtle Prophet idea on the spot. I apologize for the fib.” With a hand behind Thomas’ head, he forced him to bow in apology.

A collective gasp was heard from the three little turtles. “Deception?”

“Impossible!”

“Did the Boss actually eat Denise?”

“QUIET YOU THREE.” *Slap Slap Slap* The large turtle conjured an arm to slap each of the Turtbros, indenting them into the ground. Thank you for not allowing these scoundrels to kill each other. These three are the gifted children of the clan, but nature is usually fair. They’re a bit empty up here. The turtle pointed towards his head. This has happened before, but never outside of the clan grounds. Without a clan member nearby, I fear for what could have happened had you not been there to deescalate the situation. Coming closer to Alexander and Thomas, the turtle extended his front leg.

Alexander awkwardly shook the claw. “It’s no problem at all.. um?”

“Call me Lorenzo.”

“It was our pleasure to help your turtles, Lorenzo.”

Floating back towards the clearing, Lorenzo sent them another telepathic message. Well, despite the kindness you offered our three stooges, I would say the clan would still send you back out into the swamp as you would be skipping a valuable section of the dragon’s challenge by coming here directly, but to be frank with you, everyone babies these guys. I doubt anyone would actually want to send you back, so I’ll just take you directly to the Turtle Saint. She can figure out what to do.

A pink gas caressed Alexander, Thomas, and Pengu causing them to float. Trailing behind Lorenzo, the trio glided through the air. From this new vantage point, Alexander could see the turtle’s land was much larger than he initially anticipated. There was not one, but 9 different waterfalls situated in a central hill forming a clock-like pattern from above. One large oak tree sat in the middle of the hill, covered completely by the blue and golden fruit from before. Extending from the tree, 9 roots coincidentally planted themselves in the ponds feeding the waterfalls. It was spectacle of congruence.

Lorenzo placed the group before a sleeping 10-foot-tall turtle covered in moss situated beneath the shadow of the oak tree. Speaking with reverence, Lorenzo projected his intent. “I’ll leave them to you, Turtle Saint.

As Lorenzo hurriedly flew back in the direction of the Turtbros, the aged turtle opened her eyes. A sonorous voice entered their minds. “Nidra mentioned your group was chaotic, but this was certainly a unique way of reaching our clan grounds. Well, no matter. Most of the chaos was provided by our own children. Come here, let me understand you better.”

Alexander couldn’t explain it, but he felt compelled to reach the Turtle Saint as fast as he could. It was like his legs could not move fast enough. When he laid eyes on the turtle, he was overcome with veneration and happiness bordering on adoration. It would appear Thomas and Pengu felt the same because they also ran towards the Turtle Saint.

A gentle laugh echoed in Alexander’s mind. “Do forgive me, the only non-clan members I have interacted with in the past decade have been beings who matched me in power. Sometimes I forget my strength on those who are not Psychic Elementalists. The overbearing adoration Alexander had felt budding in his heart melted away. That should be a whole lot more comfortable for you kids. Close your eyes now. I will be sifting through your lives to better know what the passing criteria should be for my challenge. No swamp for you. Taking into account how long it has been since the last challenger, I’ll make something more personalized.

The turtle extended one of her legs towards Thomas. Her claw delicately touched his forehead. Pink gas covered Thomas’ body before it suddenly took on a green hue. He began to tremble followed by a smile which turned to a laugh. A few minutes later, tears streamed down his face. As the Turtle Saint removed her claw, a look of resolution settled unto Thomas’ now open eyes.

“That is a lofty goal, young one. Your path will be filled with disappointment, pain, and anguish, but depending on your decisions, it can also bear the fruit of love, camaraderie, and hope. Go to the 8th waterfall. A short pause later, the Turtle Saint added. Your fervor for power has caused your mind to weaken. You have become rash and easy to anger. Spend some time in the 4th waterfall as well. I will send you a message whenever I dictate you have done enough to enter the second challenge.”

Thomas placed his right hand over his heart and bowed deeply with his forehead touching the ground. “Thank you for your guidance. I will use your teachings wisely.” Without looking back, Thomas headed in the direction of what Alexander figured was the previously stated waterfall.

“Your turn, child.” Shifting her front leg, the Turtle Saint put her claw on Alexander’s forehead.

Tensing up, Alexander traveled through his memories all the way back to one of his only memories with his parents. His father, a heavily muscled shorter man with a lock beard held his 6-year-old shoulder with excessive force. A gruff voice rattled his mind. Just because you were born as trash does not mean you must live like one. Look at me and your mother, both drafted into one of the first excursions of the war. We trained our asses off to earn this opportunity to win glory for Fausto. While we’re gone you better practice on the punching bag until your knuckles bleed. I want to see some real calluses when I’m back. It’s time to grow up and become a real man. Your stupid books won’t do anything helpful for anyone.

Alexander shook at the long-suppressed memory. His fists tightened at his side. The Turtle Saint projected her voice within Alexander. “I understand. A child forced unto the path of death decided to spend his entire life pursuing the path of life. Is it rebellion, fear, or your lack of talent that keeps you from understanding the red color?”

The following memories passed quickly as if the Turtle Saint had fast forwarded through the next few years of his life. The orphanages, the schools, the lonely afternoons getting home to an empty apartment after he had qualified to live on his own through merit-based scholarships all flashed before him. The memories did not slow down until his first month of university.

Dr. Hernandez sat across from Alexander in a shared table in the library of Imperial University. So you’re the little boy wonder who wrote that incredible thesis on brain injuries. Your professor sent me a copy of that. How’d you come up with it?

Looking up from his book, Alexander replied. All the data I needed was in the books. I just put it all together concisely and wrote about a possible method of examining the extent of the damage more quickly.

The doctor chuckled. Oh, is that all? It’s impressive, young man. Very impressive, but I hear you’re reluctant to join the Medical Division. Something about it not being a good fit?

The Medical division helps from the sidelines. If I want to be a real man and make an impact, I need to step into the path of magic. Now, I need to keep studying. There will be another public examination of Elementalist levels next month, and I just started studying this new technique.

The doctor extended his hand and lowered Alexander’s book. That is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. You think just because a healer doesn’t fight they contribute less? We are the backbone of the country. So what if your affinity to fire is a little bad. Through medicine, you can bring about real change with nothing but what you already have! Let’s go grab a bite to eat. I think you’ll come to like what I have to say.

The Turtle Saint’s soothing voice once more sounded in Alexander’s mind. A chance encounter helped a lost lamb eager to change the world finally find an outlet. The missing parental love allowed the child to grow into a splendid adult. I feel it within you. Your mana emits the aura of the hearth: warm, caring, and loving.

Moving quickly through the most recent memories, the Turtle Saint finished the session and removed her claw. The turtles body glowed brightly before transforming into a tall, pink-haired lady covered in a brown tunic matching her skin tone. Reaching Alexander, she gave him a long hug. “You have lived quite the life, child, but everything is okay now. Let your emotions out.” The Turtle Saint rubbed Alexander’s back as he cried quietly over her shoulder.

After a few minutes, Alexander managed to calm himself, and the Turtle Saint spoke once more. “You are an interesting creature. I must admit. Let me confer you with some wisdom before I get to the challenge’s requirements.” Patting a rock beside her, the Turtle Saint took a seat. Pengu had already waddled over near her bare feet.

Alexander sat next to her and awaited the teachings. “Based on my cursory look through your life, I think you will be facing double the hardships when it comes to understanding the red color. Your lacking affinity hampers you, but I think it is the dysfunctional relationship you have with the war and your late parents which will cause you more difficulties. You spent your early years desperately searching for ways by which you could become a fighter to gain the approval of a father who was no longer alive. When Dr. Hernandez showed you a method to help the planet without having to shed blood, you took the opportunity to rid yourself of some of your burdens. You do not want to hurt the innocent, but that old desire to satisfy the final wishes of your parents still lives within you. It is that dissonance of war and peace that caused you to reject the blessing of the 9-colored flame, yet it is a divine object, that one. Respecting your wishes to refrain from battle, it instead granted you the power of healing I suspect.”

With a frown, Alexander asked. “Does that mean I will never be able to master the other colors of fire?”

“No, my child, but it does mean you will need to overcome your inner demons before you can make progress on the more battle-focused colors. The 9-colored flame already blessed you with the ability to learn said colors. You will rise through the tiers slowly due to your constitution, but mastery over all the colors is possible even right now.” The Turtle Saint paused shortly before continuing. “We of Nidra’s faction have abstained from joining the war due to personal reasons, but I can ascertain your friend Brandon’s words. Agni, Geb, and Jupiter certainly started the war. I care mostly for the matters of beasts, but heed my warning when I tell you, some of the crimes they have committed to other humans are vile atrocities that should have never occurred. Fighting against them would fit your worldview quite perfectly I would say.”

Alexander’s eyes shook. He was clearly overwhelmed with everything the Turtle Saint had said.

Understanding there was no way Alexander would come to any decision immediately, she moved on. “That’s enough about your past, though. To pass my challenge I will require you to learn another color of fire, but do not worry. This one is not directly battle-related. I can feel that you are actually quite close to breaking through in your understanding of it. Follow me, I will take you to your training grounds.”

Alexander picked up Pengu as he followed after the Turtle Saint. “What color is it? I had no idea I had made any headway in any of the other colors. They’re so abstract. Every time I pictured them, I would just get frustrated.”

Walking through the rocky path leading to a certain waterfall, the Turtle Saint explained. “I think part of the reason for your lack of progress stems from you misunderstanding what the colors are. You use that notebook hastily prepared by your mentor, but those pages failed to capture the essence of magic, Alexander.”

Mana flowed into Alexander as the Turtle Saint channeled her thoughts directly into his psyche. The red color is the most basic use of magic possible. It is for a being to exert control over nature. Every time you come into contact with that element, you are making progress towards mastery of that color. 

The orange color encapsulates balance. The element moves within you. It crystallizes, enhancing every attribute of your body. To master the orange color is to bring upon yourself an all-around enhancement to your qualities: both physical and mental. This is the most common color because your mastery increases simply by using your element.

The yellow color is the path of destruction. It is mastery over a branch of magic specialized in attacking everything before you. Whenever you battle, you are communing with this color.

The blue color is the application of your element into your physical body. Whether it boosts one of your physical qualities or your body evolves to take on the qualities of your element, mastery of the blue color indicates your body has become a home to your element. 

The green color encompasses the mind. It is the counterpart to the blue color, focused on mental magic.

The indigo color is the projection of your element to others. A friend, family member, partner, or familiar can all share from your magic. To learn how to impart your element to others is to master the indigo color.

The violet color is the counterpart to yellow. Specialized in protection, growth in the violet color occurs when you command your element to defend others.

Awakening from his trance, Alexander realized he was now standing at the bottom of a waterfall. The Turtle Saint sat on a nearby rock, gesturing for Alexander to jump in the pond. “Black and White are special. I shouldn’t get into them yet lest I spoil your development, but today, you are here to learn the indigo color. I’m taking Pengu for her own special training. No matter how long it takes, you are not to leave this place until you learn this new magic.” Pengu floated into the Turtle Saint’s open palm. “I’ll know once you finish so don’t even think about escaping.”

1