Chapter 3
304 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a heavy atmosphere.

Seol Jihu, uncomfortable seeing Yoo Seonhwa on the floor on the verge of tears, decided to leave quickly with the strange feeling that he had stolen her.

Accompanying that emotion was anticipation at the fact that might return to the casino to gamble.

For him, there was no better taste than winning money.

However, he abruptly stopped in front of the apartment entrance and retraced his steps until he found himself again in front of Yoo Seonhwa.

His expression was indescribable and it was not because of the situation he was in, but because of a piece of information that suddenly came into his head. However, there were priorities.

Seol Jihu or Noah was not very good at apologizing, and he only remembered doing so when his mother and brother died in his arms. 'I really am a piece of shit.'

Even so, he still had to try. Therefore, he used the words his targets desperately shouted at him before they died when he was a hitman.

It was a form of apology born out of the desire to live, so it should work.

"... I'm sorry."

But his apology, extremely simple and to some extent empty, went unanswered. 'I guess that's not enough, right? Well, that's to be expected considering everything that's happened.'

In the end, she cut all ties with him and asked him to leave.

Which was a logical situation. Seol Jihu had entered her house without permission. Even knowing the kind of relationship negative and conflicting that they had.

He reproached her and mocked her grief over the loss of her parents, complaining pettily that she was an annoying burden to carry. 'Burden' that he himself decided to accept.

Seol Jihu betrayed and abused her trust several times, asking her for money to gamble with the knowledge that he had promised her that he would not do it anymore or that it would be the last time.

And much more.

Despite this, she put up with it, justifying herself with past feelings and kindness, but everyone has their limit, and today she reached it.

With that in mind, he knelt and began pounding his forehead hard against the ground as he repeated the same words. "I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I'm sorry." His voice, full of remorse, echoed along with the pounding of his forehead against the floor.

It wasn't until a few seconds later that Yoo Seonhwa reacted, unable to comprehend what was happening with Seol Jihu.

Her gaze shifted to the ground with some evident traces of blood and unconsciously said. "... Stop."

Seol Jihu kept pounding his forehead against the ground and repeating the words: I'm sorry. It was clear that he had no intention of stopping.

No longer able to bear to watch this, Yoo Seonhwa grabbed Seol Jihu by the shoulders and shouted. "Stop, please! Why are you doing this?! Don't you already have the money you wanted?!"

All the emotions he had been holding back burst out with those questions; disappointment, betrayal, sadness, bitterness, and more.

They were emotions that Seol Jihu was very familiar with, causing his fists to clench tightly.

But this time, Seol Jihu stopped and taking advantage of Yoo Seonhwa's attention, he said. "I don't want that money, and I'll give it back to you... Besides, I won't go back to the casino anymore, I promise!"

As he finished saying that, he accompanied it with another slam of his forehead against the ground, his face bathing in blood.

"Why do you keep...?!" Yoo Seonhwa paused and verbalized her emotions with an angry look at times and desolate at others. "... I don't understand, I really can't understand! Is this another one of your lies to get me to give you more money? I won't do it! It's over-r!" Yoo Seonhwa's voice cracked due to the tears she could no longer hold back. "From now on, there will be nothing more to discuss between us!"

Seol Jihu wanted to reach out to comfort her but quickly desisted: he had lost the right to do so.

Then, Seol Jihu replied. "I will repeat it once again. I don't want any more money. I want you to know that I completely regret the words I said to you and that I will not return to the casino anymore." His expression took on a greater degree of solemnity. "My only intention is to change and stop being the scumbag I have been for years."

"...!?"

Seol Jihu struck when the iron was hot. "I will give everything to redeem myself, even if it seems impossible. No matter how long it takes me, even if I fail in the end. Not just with you, but with everyone I've hurt. As I have already said, it is promise! And one that I will never break!"

According to his words, he took out his phone and transferred the two million that Yoo Seonhwa had given him in exchange for the money he sent her during her stay abroad to study. Money that Seol Jihu, before he became addicted to gambling, had decided to give her out of love, but which the addict blatantly demanded from her this morning.

Ding!

Yoo Seonhwa averted her gaze to the ringing sound from her phone and then to the screen of Seol Jihu's phone that he placed in front of her, confirming the transaction.

Subsequently, Seol Jihu dialed Seorak Land, the casino he regularly attended; from what was said, it was clear what he intended to do.

On the other hand, Yoo Seonhwa could not keep up with the hurried and changing pace of events; her mouth opened and closed without words.

Soon, Seol Jihu was able to contact the person in charge of such matters and strongly requested to be banned from Seorak Land. He still had to go to the casino to sign an agreement, have his picture taken, and provide other information, though, detracting from his intentions.

'I hope that in spite of this, it will work...' He thought worriedly.

And when the call that had been kept on the cell phone speakerphone ended and Seol Jihu repeatedly validated the reliability of it, Yoo Seonhwa asked him seriously in a calmer mood. "...Can I believe this is not another one of your lies? That you are serious about this? That you won't go back to the casino? Can I believe... again in you?"

Yoo Seonhwa looked at him, waiting for his response; her hands were trembling with nervousness and apprehension was marked.

Seol Jihu, with a firm expression on his face, tried to convey as sincerely as possible his message. "To all the above questions, the answer is a resounding yes. I don't expect you or anyone else to forgive me. But it is something that must be done no matter what." There was not a hint of doubt or hesitation in his words.

Yoo Seonhwa nodded and then let out a long, deep sigh. At least temporarily, it seemed that a heavy burden had been lifted off her shoulders.

"... I understand. But... Let me digest all of this. It's too much. Besides, Seol... It will be the last time. There won't be any more chances!"

Then she reminded him with a penetrating look. "However, I was not the only one who was disappointed and hurt. It would be best if you talked about it with your family. You should also apologize to my sister."

"I will do it without hesitation. And... you and your sister are my family too, Seonhwa." Seol Jihu took his leave with those words and headed for the exit while touching his forehead.

It was then.

"Wait," Yoo Seonhwa stopped Seol Jihu awkwardly and handed him bandages and disinfectant to treat the wound he got while apologizing. "For your forehead..."

"... Thank you." Seol Jihu received the things handed to him by Yoo Seonhwa and sincerely thanked him. 'Although I am already completely cured...'

Of course, he didn't tell Yoo Seonhwa, not wanting to generate suspicion of anything. Much less involve her in what he would do from now on.

He wanted to avoid exposing her to danger as much as possible. Contrary to what happened to his mother and little brother. 'I'm not going to make the same mistakes...'

Now, that itself might be a mistake, but he was willing to bear the consequences of it.

With that, he finally departed from Yoo Seonhwa's apartment. Behind his back, she looked at him with a highly complex expression as she shook her head.

It was all so sudden that she couldn't help but think that what she had wished for so long was nothing more than a dream.

Despite this, nothing would ever go back to the way it was. It was impossible.

7