RM Vol 3: For a World without Boundary – Chapter 1: Hypocrisy?
1.1k 4 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After slamming Amaterasu down with a stick, it's understandable that Yuki would have to give her a carrot, no?

I am on a roll lately, which should make me write another chap for RM soon! Stay tune and have fun as always!

"I must admit, your R&D department  is pretty impressive." Yuki gave a compliment after taking stock of the ventilated bunker that doubled up as a scientific headquarters.

Currently, Yuki, Nicolae, Amaterasu, and their respective bodyguards are being guided deeper into the bunker by none other than Vill-V. Being the owner and the host, Vill-V sports a big grin as she feels a surge of pride when being complimented by Yuki. A part of her is surprised that Yuki willingly praised her brainchild after what happened a couple of days ago.

"For a fortified complex, the building is a well-balanced mix of utilitarian and human comfort. The floor layout is spotless and unobtrusive while the wall and ceiling and well-lit, giving the idea that the space is bigger than it should be. Overall, a very roomy, breathable, and safe environment to work in." Yuki said with honesty laced her words while being careful not to let Nicolae wander about, unsupervised.

With the ever-increasing grin on Vill-V's face, Amaterasu can't help but interject with a wry smile. If the Sun Goddess is still bothered about the event of the last two days, she isn't showing it outwardly right now.

"If you praise her handiworks any further, I think I will have to pay money for Vill-V to undergo cosmetic surgery."

Yuki snickers, going on to say. "Credit where credit's due, it's hard to come across a research complex that's on par with those in Belka. Granted, I'm not cleared to spy on the nitty-gritty of this site, yet, so I still hold doubts that they're anywhere near our level."

Nicolae, who has been trying to steer away from the group, chuckles. Both the Shoggoth and the Marshal know that even with Vill-V's ingenuity, Japan is still decades behind Belka with the latter scheduling a space program, soon. 

As for Amaterasu and Vill-V, the former has heard interest piqued, wondering just how far has Belka advanced compared to Japan. The latter, however, fakes an offended expression.

"You did not just compare my headquarters to some rift-raft college institutes!"

Yuki deadpans. "Yes, yes I did."

Much to the amusement of Amaterasu and Nicolae, the pair then goes on to bicker about which of their respective country's better than the other in terms of workplace safety and comfort. Arguments and counter-arguments are shot back and forth until they reach the personal lab of Vill-V. By then, Yuki has shut down Vill-V by saying that, after years of implementing Yuki's Labour Laws, working in a Belka factory is a dream job for many, unlike Japan which is still lagging behind. Vill-V's headquarters may be good but can the same be said for factories and labs elsewhere in Japan?

That said, Vill-V concedes her defeat.

"I hate to say it but judging from what I've been hearing, Belka is a dream come true for those with half a brain. Amaterasu and I have been trying to enforce better work environments for the populace but the upper class of our society has been half-hearted in their attempts to follow it through."

Vill-V then pushes open the double door, guarded by two stern soldiers, showing a wide meeting room that has been converted into a well-defined lab. Their security details stay outside, opting to stare each other down warily while the VIPs take in the sight of the laboratory. Sketches and instruments lay about neatly on the many tables while calculations and illustrations are sharply inputted on the green boards by the walls and viewing ports of the bunker. Vill-V may come off as a mad scientist, judging from the short while Yuki and Nicolae have known her, but she is not a messy person.

Understanding that the Belkans are impressed by the layout of the room, Vill-V proudly says. "If the building is like a well-oiled machine then this, my room, is the heart of it! It's from here that I've come up with plans and changes that Amaterasu is trying to implement for a brighter future for Japan!"

Amaterasu chimes in as she naturally takes up a seat by a corner table, hands fiddling with a measuring instrument.

"And she has been doing a great job too." Amaterasu then sighs. "It's just that I've wished my people are more receptive to change."

Yuki and Vill-V, each are about to say something when Nicolae tugs Yuki's sleeve. Giving her a side glance, Yuki understand what the Shoggoth wanted and sigh, giving her permission to zip around the lab, scanning everything for the sake of knowledge. 

"Do excuse Nicolae, though she is a powerful bodyguard assigned to me for the duration of this trip, she is more of a researcher and crafter at heart." Yuki then gestured to Nicolae with the latter using an unused green board to make some calculations of her own.

Seeing the sight, Vill-V dryly comments. "She's... hyperactive, from what I've seen so far."

"You don't say." Yuki chuckled. "This place is literally a playground for her. As for introducing new and better things and being stumped because they're not well-received, I think that's because Japan, at its core, is too stubborn and passive due to its extreme nationalism and fanatism. The people look up to the Emperor while the Emperor looks up to the Heavenly Court to decide the direction of the country. Without the Heavenly Court's explicit agreement, any and all change that affects the current power structure is frowned upon. And even with the permit given, there are individuals in Japan that, due to their limited view and ingrain excessive loyalty, can veto it if they think that their way is the 'correct' way for Japan. An example will be the mess that your 'loyal' subordinates made in Belkan soil."

Suddenly receiving a lecture from the younger girl, Amaterasu, and Vill-V listens with rapt attention. They flinch when Yuki reminded them of the serious infringement of Belka sovereignty by their side and the subsequent bloody business that followed. A bit impulsively, properly because Amaterasu is at her wit's end on how to proceed, the Sun Goddess questions.

"Then how can I put a stop to their undermining my authority willy-nilly?" As soon as she asked that though, Amaterasu realized that it was the wrong thing to say, given prior events two days ago. The Sun Goddess can't help but show a pained smile soon after.

Chuckling wryly, Vill-V offers Amaterasu a few comforting head pats. Seeing that Yuki's looking at them with her one good eye and a raised eyebrow, Vill-V apologies in Amaterasu's stead.

"Sorry about that, it will take her a while to get used to whatever occurred earlier. You're one of the leaders of a major world power, one that we had committed a serious crime against, so you shouldn't be asked by us to offer your guidance on how to run our nation. Such a thing is not something family members should be discussing."

"Just like I won't be asking questions about how there's an unregistered otherworlder under the employment of Amaterasu." Yuki jested with a 

impish smile, unwilling to let Amaterasu be in a slump.

"Glad that we can agree on that." Vill-V smiled, a bit relieved that Yuki made it clear that she wouldn't be pursuing that line of questioning.

Amaterasu is much the same, having moved past her faux pass when Yuki diverted the conversation. "Thank you, Yuki." She lightly bowed at the younger girl.

Though she accepted that, Yuki goes on to warn with seriousness. "I may not be asking questions but I do know that there must be a price to be paid. Especially when you pulled someone that is clearly in the future of a whole different universe altogether, here. Causality will get it due, one way or another, and I sincerely hope that you, and by extension, Japan, can pay it in full."

Amaterasu grimly nods while VIll-V is surprised by Yuki figuring out her background in a heartbeat. "Hold up, how the hell did you even glean that?!"

Yuki shrugs, the grin returning on her face. "Comes with being happily married to Yggdrasil herself, I get to learn many interesting things."

"Now I'm tempted to pay Belka a visit. Perhaps I and Amaterasu can go on a honeymoon there, far away from the claustrophobic court of Japan." Vill-V interlocked her fingers with Amaterasu.

The Sun Goddess rolls her eyes at the gesture but not doing much else. "Only when our works in Japan are done and the land can prosper for eternal."

"Then it's a promise!" Vill-V cheered, already fantasizing about the land of scientific wonders that Yuki had shared tidbits about.

Moving on with their discussion, Yuki looks over to where Nicolae is, seeing the Shoggoth comparing her design of a wind turbine to Vill-V's. 

"Interesting, I see that you're working on how to harness and create electricity using wind power. I can see the feasibility and effectiveness of such a project, what's with Japan being an island nation, after all."

"Cool, right?" Vill-V nodded, turning her head and a bit stunned by the wind turbine model Nicolae constructed from God knows when. "With us lacking precious resources such as oil, electricity used to power our industries and homes is expensive and unstable. If we can harness the wind, even partly, to produce electricity then the burden on our populace will be greatly lessened. I've worked on a few prototypes but they failed to meet my expectation due to the quality of materials involved. All the more reasons to find better resources elsewhere."

Seeing a dejected look on Vill-V, it's Amaterasu's turn to comfort her. "Don't worry, we have already sent out many expeditions to mine the materials you need. Worse comes to worst, we can use Manchukuo to import them."

Yuki then offers her two-cent. "Another way you can go around the issue is seeing if you can harness geothermal energy. I mean, you're sitting on an active volcano that's under no risk of critically exploding, thanks to Sakuya-Hime. You just have to figure out a safe way to gather the heat."

Vill-V raises a finger, about to rebut in regards to the feasibility of such an idea, before lowering it onto her chin. "That... could work! Oh dear, why haven't I figured it out before!? Instead of making a lot of wind farms all over Japan, thus adding needless complexity and time-consuming, we can just build one geothermal plant first to take care of our needs for the short-term future! Wow, thanks Yuki!"

Without further words, Vill-V jumps to a corner of the lab, hastily drawing up the basis of a blueprint, giggling incessantly in the process. With her in such a state of mind that's disregarding further discussion, Amaterasu can't help but sigh while pinching her temple.

"And there she goes to the deep end, again. Must you give her a plausible idea that she can't help but act on, Yuki?" Amaterasu asked in exasperation.

Mirroring the impish smile that Amaterasu gave her two days ago, Yuki answers. "Happy to help!"

Rolling her eyes, Amaterasu also allows a smile to grace her face. "Well, with the brainiacs working on their respective projects, what should we do now?"

Pondering for a bit, Yuki finally decides to scoot a bit closer to Amaterasu, sitting next to her. "Well... I guess I can do you a favor. Seeing that you're having trouble keeping your underlings in line, I may as well advise you as your niece. You don't need to worry, I know what to say without landing Belka in another mess to clean up."

"...You have my gratitude, dear."

"Again, happy to help!" Yuki giggled. "First issue I can see is that you are way too soft on your subordinates. It may be a good trait to have but when they clearly disregard your and the Heavenly Court's wills, you can't allow them to leave with just a slap on the wrist. Proper punishments must be handed out.

Another major problem is that words can be interpreted differently by each individual, especially ones that actively sought to bend said words to fulfill their own ends. You must lay a foot down and make perfectly clear what you meant whenever passing down a degree. Why? Because people are mortals, they don't think like you, a God. For Amaterasu, you have the wisdom, experience, and brain power of a long-living being. While mortals have greed and finite lifespans hence they will be hard-pressed to understand cryptic words that higher beings tend to expound. By that logic, your desire to make Japan a land of eternity, solely under your rule, may not be well understood or shared by the people. 

After all, what can eternity do to them when most of them will die a hundred years later?"

Throughout the rest of the day, Amaterasu keenly listens as Yuki tore down her worldview, piece by piece, before building it back up on a more stable foundation. Hopefully, Yuki's words can help prevent the reintroduction of a Japan that's been filled with war crimes for a period of time.

Some may be askance why Yuki helped the leader of Japan, a nation that Belka has destined to be her adversary in the future but let's face the truth here. What can they do against the ever-increasing overwhelming might of Belka? An atomic bomb? Sorry but they're so yesterday. 

And let's not forget to mention that Japan has been squeezed dry of their gold, their reputation in shambled, and their people hopelessly outraged by the action of a stupid few. It will take a long time for Japan to get back on its feet and by that time, Belka has long left them in the dust.

As usual, I hope you enjoy reading this chapter! Please, leave a like, a comment, or a review if you have the time to motivate me further!

You can also come and check out my other fanfic which is Random Omniversal Bar!

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/643707/rob/

https://www.webnovel.com/book/r.o.b-random-omniversal-bar_25139567906263905

If you're feeling generous, and may the Goddess blesses you, support me on Patreon! The money from Patreon will be used to help my mom in treating her illness and our daily life! Currently, you can read up to two R.O.B chapters and six Reich Marshal chapters ahead of the public releases.

https://www.patreon.com/Heartbreak117

Once again, thank you for supporting me!

38