how it all began (prologue)
261 4 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The world of men has long argued over a certain question. How did the world begin? Religion argues creation, science argues evolution, and a “big bang” For the longest time I've felt that the answer wasn’t that hard. It's simple really.

 

Feet pound the gravel of the back alleys

 

I’ve never been a fan of religions. They’ve always come across as a little too intense for my liking. While I'd say I prefer science, it's honestly not much better. Those who follow the teachings of science become egotistic, self absorbed and unimaginative. 

 

The sound of sharp breaths mixes with the metallic ring of an unsheathed blade

 

Around 50 years ago the answer became apparent, with what we called “the second calamity” the best way to picture it would be to visualize a cylinder made up of many many circles stacked atop each other. Each circle is either a dimension or a timeline; the stack of all of them is a world. Each world has their own dimensions and timelines, sometimes these cylinders or worlds move around and occasionally collide with each other. And when this happens the worlds, and dimensions can fuse together anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours. What does this do? Well the dimensions, and worlds become unstable from fusing and anything within that fused dimension and world can be released into other dimensions, other timelines, and other worlds.these worlds can begin releasing things into ours. Basically the result is a world's timelines, and dimensions all bleeding into each other, and causing mass mayhem.

 

Screams ring out as a blade is doused in blood

 

Our world was originally just a black void. There was nowhere for life to come from. There was no single celled organism that evolved to humanity, there was no sudden explosion of energy causing creation, and there was no god. There was no god.

 

A girl looks up from her hiding place wondering who saved her from her attackers, but finds no one there.

 

During the first calamity several worlds fused with our black void of nothingness we called a world, multiple gods entered into it. Landmasses appeared out of nowhere, and a race called humanity began to populate these new landmasses. Thousands of years later humanity would grow to become technologically advanced. They explored space, they explored the depths of their own planet they called “earth” advances were made in every field of science. But none of this was enough to prepare them for what would come.

 

“Celeste, where the hell are you?! We’ve been waiting all morning!” 

“I’m sorry, I was a little busy saving a child's life; surely you can spare me the preaching this once?”

“Sigh… you know this is the first day right?” “You can’t afford to be late!”

“Naturally”

 

 When the Second calamity came, the chaos served to prove to humanity that they weren’t as all-capable as they had thought. When the worlds collided this time, one of them released a unique power source called ether. Humanity quickly learned to wield this source in protection of themselves. The monstrous beings of other worlds were more than what ordinary human weaponry could handle. Bullets did jack shit. Bombs could even make some monsters more powerful then they already were. Ether was our only way to fight back. And fight back we did. Research into ether provided us with the ability to use something we called celestial arts. They worked for a while but it turned out that while we could use ether, it was also poison to the human body. In only days millions had already died, either from the monstrosities attacking from other worlds or the ether overwhelming their body and blowing them to bits. It turned out that children had a higher adaptive ability to ether, those who adapted and survived began to transform, becoming similar to the monsters who were attacking us. We realized that the monsters that were attacking us were just other victims of the ether. Transformed into mindless murdering machines with more power than realistically necessary. It was looking bad for humanity as some died from ether poisoning and those who survived began to transform, but humanity was determined. We didn’t call ourselves the top race of earth for nothing. We went back to work, we studied, researched, and spent every waking second of the day learning about ether and how to survive its poisonous effects. Then a breakthrough occurred. A man by the name of DR. Charles Marx created a serum. Not a serum to keep them from being poisoned. Rather Dr. Charles had created a syrum to allow those transformed by the ether to keep their minds stable. The good docter had decided that he was going to die. That humanity as a whole would die, but that didn’t mean he was going to let his daughter die. His daughter had showed signs of beginning to transform as such he had created this syrum for his daughter, so that after he was gone she would be able to continue living.

 

 “Take this and live for me okay? I’ll be gone soon, so you gotta take care of yourself okay?” “please don’t hate me for what i’ve done, I only ever … wanted to … give you a good … life”

 

With those words the docter succumbed to the ethers poison. Humanity may die but he ensured that those who transformed would carry on even still. His daughter distributed the serum to everyone who transformed with the help of a few freinds and some of the remaining organizations still left alive on earth. She would then go on to found a school to train those who transformed in how best to weild their newfound power to fight the monsters that would continue to seemingly spring into existance for years to come. She called this school-

 

“Avalon academy huh?” “Ive finally made it!”

9