Chapter 4: To First Blood
35 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The group began to laugh as a wave of dread overcame Halfdan. Ever since he was young, he never wanted to go raiding. He didn't want to kill or hurt anyone. But, his mother and father bullied him into training and gave him no choice. Against their will, he failed to advance in his combat skills. His father even encouraged him to enjoy fighting by buying his unique axe made with the finest wood and iron in the whole of Guron. Still, his axe had yet to make its mark in the flesh. Its primary purpose was only to be a beautiful decorative piece occasionally used. Today, however, Halfdan, on the orders of Gunnar, brought it down to the training arena. That could only mean one thing...

Halfdan finally finished his pushups but could barely feel his arms, and his hands had gone completely numb in the fresh snow. Wiping away the snow that had nested on his eyebrows, Halfdan stood up to be instantly met by Gunnar staring through him, burrowing into the back of his head.

"Will you be going raiding with your father next spring?" barked Gunnar to his face. Halfdan looked down to his fur-lined boots and then back up to meet Gunnars.

"I hope to go raiding next spring, sir!" responded Halfdan, fully knowing what comes next. Gunnar stepped back and moved into the arena centre. he pointed at Halfdan and Torbjorn. "Grab your shields and axe. You shall duel to first blood."

A shiver ran down Halfdans spine as he felt his heart begin to pump harder, his veins bulging down his arms as he held up his axe to his face looking at his reflection. In the reflection, he saw his long blonde hair drag in the frosty wind and his ocean blue eyes shimmering back. Was this going to be his end? Torbjorn was the best fighter out of the group. There was no way he would win this duel. Almost glued to the spot, he forced himself to take his first step just as a large gust of wind battered his side, slightly knocking him off balance. His long fur coat was pulled to his side in the wind as the cold gnawed down to the bone. Another step, he got into a rhythm as he began to walk onwards, the battle was to first blood, but that doesn't mean the blood can't come from his neck or any other vital body part. After what felt like an eternity, he finally reached the middle of the arena.

He looked towards Torbjorn to see him marching towards the middle with an air of confidence. Halfdan shivered as he came face to face with the monster in front of him.

"Just because you are the king's son doesn't mean I'll go any easier", Torbjorn bragged before turning and smirking before Gunnar. "No running off this time either!"
"No broken bones or serious injuries, that's the rules." commanded Gunnar, "raise your weapons" Halfdan quickly darted his eyes over to the group and watched as they placed bets.

"How long do you think he will last in the arena? Whoever is closest, I'll buy you a full hour in the whore house!" Torbjorn shouted to the others, instantly lighting their faces.

"Uh, 5 seconds!" shouted Osborn.

"No way too long, 3 seconds maximum!" exclaimed Olaf.

"Might as well add my bet," chirped Gunnar, "8 seconds."

"Oh, and I'll buy everyone in the entire castle drinks if Halfdan wins," Osborn yelled out, causing all the others to laugh.

"You would be a very poor man if so, Osborn," Torbjorn yelled. "Well, let's see who wins the prize!"

Torbjorn turned back to face Halfdan and raised his weapon. It was obvious who was more skilled and stronger. one stuck in time, shaking, while the other looked like they were in complete control. Halfdan stood no chance. His feet felt like they could collapse beneath him at any moment. His eyes darted left to right, looking for an escape. He couldn't win this fight. He was better off running than losing his life here. His body began to twist towards the exit but was quickly reminded that there was no escape this time. An axe had been thrown and embedded itself into the snow next to him. he heard a voice outside the arena,

"No running this time. poor Frida had to chance you last time." Osborn is the quieter and most petite of the group, but with one punch from him, you would be lucky to stay alive. "At least you haven't complained and started screaming about a pain in your head and that you can see a random farmer in front of you!" Instantly Halfdan snapped his head towards Osborn and shouted back,

"What did you say about seeing a ra-" An axe slammed into his shield knocking Halfdan back half a meter,

"This is war," shouted Gunnar, "people are dying around you. You would be dead if this were a real fight. Never take your eyes off your enemy!" Gunnar grabbed his axe from Halfdans shield and told them to fight again. Halfdan was not escaping this one. He had to face this head-on.

"You heard Gunnar, my eyes are here, no escape, your highness", Torbjorn taunted.

"Begin!"

0