Chapter 8: Invitation
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Halfdan!!" Gunnar shouted, shaking the room, causing Halfdan to lurch forward and fall off the chair he had slept on. Gunnar pointed towards Sigrid, who had just woken up extremely confused, "Who are you!??! Which whore is this?" 

"Gunnar, it's early in the morning. The sun is barely over the mountains training doesn't start for another few hours!" mumbled the tired, confused Halfdan, who had regained his composure and stood up. "She is no whore. she is a servant here at the Castle. Her name is Sigrid Aridottir, daughter of the Aridottir household from Gorm."

"That little mining town across the tundra?" questioned Gunnar, "Why is someone from the Adidottir household a servant here?" 

"My father couldn't pay for his taxes to the king. I was given instead to serve the king," she explained to Gunnar.

"Ah, well, I am sorry to hear that, young lady. That doesn't explain why she is in your bed, though, Halfdan!" Gunnar questioned, making Sigrid blush which she quickly hid underneath the fur covers of his bed.

"She came last night to congratulate me on my draw with Torbjorn. she ended up sleeping in my bed as she was freezing to death!" he explained. 

"Right... is that why the young lady is blushing?" taunted Gunnar in a friendly way, only causing Sigrid to sink deeper behind the covers. Ignoring the probing question, Halfdan asked back,

"Why are you even in my room?" 

"I needed to talk to you about your duel yesterday and your upcoming duel with your father to prove yourself," Gunnar responded in a serious tone. Halfdan nodded towards Sigrid, who calmed herself before getting up and walking to the door, 

"Thanks, Halfdan," she said with a smile before shutting the door. As soon as she had closed the door, Gunnar turned back towards Halfdan with a smirk,

"Not bad, Halfdan, not bad," Gunnar smirked as he sat down on the chair.

"It's not like that..." Halfdan said stroppily, "So what did you want to say?" Gunnar sighed, almost frustrated at Halfdans attitude.

"I may seem like I'm your stereotypical grumpy man who drags poor men out of bed to train them in the cold, but that's not the case. I do care about you all, some more than others admittedly," Gunnar explained, only being met with an audible sigh from Halfdan, who wasn't having any of it. 

"Alright?"  

"I have a life outside training, you miserable rats. I have a family, a wife and three young children. I came here today to let you know that I know how you are feeling about your upcoming duel, mainly because a long time ago, I was in your exact position."

"I bet at my age, though, you were far more advanced in every aspect than me. I'm not exactly physically strong."

"You should know, Halfdan, being a warrior is not dependent on your physical skills. There is more to it. Although you showed an outstanding physical strength in that last duel, you were very quick to act."

"Well, I'm not sure what happened yesterday." Halfdan responded, "I felt like someone or something was telling me what to do."

"Well, whatever happened, be grateful it happened. You did very well hitting him. I was astonished and happy. Well done!"

"Well, I guess we will see in the next duel with my father, won't I?"

"I'm sure we will all see how you do in that duel. I'm sure you will be fine, though." Gunnar reassured and laid a hand on his shoulder, "When I was in your position those many years ago and had to prove to my father I could go raiding with him, I only won because I had used my brain instead of my brawn. Like you did against Torbjorn." 

"How did you beat your father in that duel to prove you are worthy?" Halfdan asked with his eyes glistening.

This is how I can win the duel!

"If you are thinking you will win the duel, you won't," Gunnar said, demolishing Halfdans dreams. "Your father is one of our greatest warriors. He is our king, after all. The most you can do is prove that you can hold your own against him."

"How do I do that? Surely that's impossible just to hold my own. I'll have to just go on the defensive?" queried Halfdan, anxious for an answer.

"Well," Gunnar said as he slapped his knees and stood up from the chair, "That's for you to figure out." 

"I have no clue how even to approach a fight with my father!" he anxiously responded.

"I can't help you anymore. It's up to you now! All I know is your mother is deciding whether or not you will be going raiding with your father, as tradition. If you don't win, your mother won't let you sit around in Ardiham Castle and will take more drastic measures. Your father won't oppose your mother if it means he will be able to take you raiding as soon as possible."

"I know. I'll try my best. I would rather not know what my mother's drastic measures are." 

"Well, now you know the stakes. Your father will return to the Dalhurst Castle in under a week, earlier than expected. Let's get to training early. I want to ensure you are ready."

"This early?!" 

"Kid, I'm trying to help. It would be best if you didn't lose your duel completely", Gunnar answered almost desperately. Halfdan noticed his mild frustration and instantly marched to his axe and combat outfit. 

"I'll be down at the arena in a bit. ill get ready quickly." Halfdan reassured Gunnar, "Thank you." 

Gunnar smiled and walked towards the door, opened it and began to walk through but stopped,

"Tomorrow about mid-day, I'm taking you, Olaf, Osborn, and Torbjorn out with the normal hunting party out into the wilderness to hunt for food." shocking Halfdan, obviously confused.

"Why are we getting dragged out hunting?" 

The Castle needs food for the feast that will be held on your father's arrival. Don't think it will be easy. after all, it's still training." Gunnar teased with a smirk. 

Guess I am going hunting tomorrow then. Hopefully, it won't be a long trip!

"I'll prepare your equipment while I wait for you at the training arena! We will probably be gone for a few days!"

It's like he can read my mind...

0