Chapter 03
104 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mirror Changed – Chapter 03

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

~Jayde~

 

              In between the upsells and button pushing's at work my coworker Becky and I were managing to have something of a conversation. Sore feet and Taco seasoning the next two most prevalent things of note in my senses.

 

              “Come on it'll be fun.”  Becky said as soon as we had a quick break in customers.

 

              “Fun. Can I quote you?”  I turned back to the front as a customer stepped up to my register. A dumpy middle-aged woman who looked like life had taken a literal dump on her and her delightful little bundle of joy. Read here: entitled little shit making preteen Xbox playing brat who manipulated mommy dearest into getting everything he wanted. It didn't help that he was currently whining harder than cartman from South Park about getting home so he could ‘kick some old fuck faces around online'.  I think I may have encountered this little troll a few times online. If not him then definitely his doppelganger.

 

              I went through the same script by rote once again.  “Hi welcome to –“

 

              “Yeah we want – “

 

              “Would you like – “

 

              And so on and so forth. They finished and moved aside to wait for their order.

 

              “So Jayde, about Friday.”

 

              I didn't roll my eyes but I wanted to. I liked Becky, she was a cool coworker.  that was one of the problems. I had seen what happens with being too friendly with coworkers at some of my other jobs.

 

              Then there was also the problem of barely knowing her.

 

              “I would just be awkward.”

 

              She shook her head and collected the prior customers order.  After delivering it she continued, “I think you're selling yourself short period it's just a party. Come on, outside of that gamer chick, who you keep assuring me is ‘Just a Friend’ it seems to me you really don't know anyone.”  Becky even included the air quotes…. of course….

 

              Well, unfortunately she had me figured out on the friends front. Just Suzi, Bryan, and David were left of everyone I used to know.

 

              “Which makes going to a party where I don't know anyone even more awkward.”  I held up my hands palms up arms spread wide.  “I can see it now, come and see the amazing wallflower boy. Capable of not uttering a whole sentence in a single evening. Feel awe at his inept abilities when it comes to mingling with those of the opposite gender. Revel in his monumental knowledge of nothing of interest. Stand at – “

 

              “Alright alright.”  She said with a giggle.

 

              I do admit to myself, at least inside where no one else can judge me, I did think she was very cute in her manner and speech.  “Seriously, I'm really nobody special. Why invite me?”

 

              The look of incredulousness seemed odd. I was sure I haven't put my foot in my mouth again.  at least I hope I have not I could not see how I had.  Yet I have been known to eat my fair share of gym sock in the day.  Oh who am I kidding, I still eat my size ten shoes on a regular basis. 

 

              “If you can't see that then you really need to get out more.”  She paused to put her hand on her hip.  “I'm not taking no for an answer.  You're going, and if it's the tales of ‘Awkward Man’ then at least he can Wallflower again. If not, then guess what? You may just meet some new people.”

 

              Her smile hit me like the high beams of a semi truck hitting a deer. I just hope I didn't end up on that truck bumper later on.  After all that is what seemed to happen to me whenever I began to get feelings beyond just being an acquaintance.

 

              “Yeah, hope so. That would be nice for a change.”

 

              I was about to strike up some more conversation in between customers when Don came wandering by.

 

              “Talk on break.”

 

              what great management.  I could just feel so much more motivated now.  it was like I had been given pure inspiration from up on high.  I turned back to the front and busied myself with my busy work to stay busy before Don could find something else to keep me busy with.  Did I mention that I found something to do to keep me busy?

 

              The rest of Friday had kind of gone in a blur for me.  work nominally was usually like that. Between getting back home, showering the Taco seasoning and lettuce smell off, shaving, styling my hair poorly, and perhaps in among all that getting a clean clothes on I somehow found myself ready to head out into town for the night.  it was holding a quick bus ride to southern Aurora.  A city which wasn't too far of my home area just north of Seattle.

 

              According to the address Becky had given me it was only another half mile away. I could take a connecting bus or walk the rest of the way period since it had probably take less time to walk than to wait I set out to tread the sidewalk. It was amazing how quickly a person could close the distance if they only put one foot in front of the other.

             

              Kind of wish I had a smartphone or at least an old MP3 player right now. I didn't really have the budget for the former and the latter had broken a few weeks ago. At least the scenery wasn't bad.  The drizzle wasn't even too heavy today. I should arrive only slightly damp rather than looking like a drowned rat.  which was much closer to my normal modis operandi.

 

              There is a joke up here in the Seattle metro area, it is that people do not tan they rust.  I used to think that it was actual rain here, but I discovered that for the most part we don't know what rain is when I had visited a distant uncle down in Kansas. In just one afternoon I had learned what real raid was and I had also learned how turkeys could drown in the rain just by looking up with their beaks open.  Suffice it to say said turkeys definitely did not live here.

 

              these socks and others kept my mind spinning as I walked. I didn't really notice when I got off the old historic route 99.  Nothing specific about the quality of homes clued me in, not really.  As I neared my destination I did finally begin to notice a marked increase in relative wealth. It was already dark when I got to the home stretch, and by the number of cars out front I could make a reasonable guess as to which house I had been invited to.

 

              The sight of it was almost enough to make me turn around. A two-story affair with what looked like at least four bedrooms upstairs judging by the number of windows. Also of course the upstairs balcony. The ground floor looked half again as wide and was set up with a wraparound front porch. Their driveway, which of course was filled with expensive cars, was a drive through type that was two vehicle lanes wide. I am not entirely sure if the color of the house as the streetlights were a pleasant old style yellow. That combined with a damp created as surreal haze effect right out of one of Bryans Noir style video games.

 

              “Suzi’d dig this.” I stated not quite sure if it was to myself or to bolster my confidence. Probably it was to help the nerves out. Yeah, I'll go with that. 

 

              There were plenty of partygoers out front drinking various drinks and inhaling from either e-cig vaporizers or actual old style cigarettes and rolls.  I walked up to the front. A bit more intimidated with almost a dozen people watching me. One guy lifted his glass and welcome as I got to the porch.

 

              I lamely waved at him and the guy he seemed to be standing rather close to. I wonder if they were an item, if so I hope they didn't think I was fair game. I may not really have a hope in hell of dating someone like Suzi, but I wasn't quite ready to attempt life on the other side.

 

              “Hey.”  Said in what I hoped was a cool ‘in passing’ tone.

 

              “Hey back at you. New here?”  The man asked before I could enter the house.

 

              “Not really. I live South of here.”

 

              His friend leaned in and whispered something in his ear. Both of them giggled, which made me feel more than a little bit awkward.  “Rob here says you're cute. Also that he hopes to see you around later.”

 

              Yes they were definitely a couple. Verified giggles and all. And yes, I was now probably beat red in embarrassment. I really was not sure what to do. So I chose the better part of valor and with ears burning I entered the house. Rob and his boyfriend's giggles left behind. I really hope that things do go a bit better inside. So far I may just be better off going back home.

 

              The music inside didn't exactly blare, but it was loud. Loud enough to force people to either yell or lean close to be heard. Great for many of the better-looking people I saw to get together, not so great for wallflower like myself. At least the beats pumping out were a decent remix I could nod to in a corner. Once I found one that is. I had to at least wait around until Becky showed up, I owed her that much courtesy even though I was already getting more than a touch anxious.

 

              After around downstairs I had seen neither hide nor hair of anyone I knew.  So I grabbed it drink from the kitchen and then a left in search of a location in which to take my reputation as the Great Unknown Visitor of the modern age.

 

              Of course a corner was hard to come by, between furniture and people making out along the edges of the room it seemed that quarters had become prime real estate.  Instead I found a very impressive piece of blank wall to park my ass against.

 

              No sooner had I found my hindquarters plastered against the wall when I found someone else lean up next to me. She was pretty good looking, though a bit older than I was. Early twenties I would guess. She looked like a college student if I had to guess. Knee length skirt, long blue sleeved blouse, and a barrette on her head. Long brown hair loose down her back and a nice mocha colored skin tone. She stood there for a few, took a glance my way before looking into the crowded living room turned dance floor.  I wasn't sure what she was doing over on the side of the room next to me.  She was probably just waiting for someone.

 

              About the song or two of her standing there and my sneaking peeks sidelong at her she seemed to tire of the spot. With a sigh that did wonderful but distracting things for my libido she pushed off as if she found whatever she was waiting for.

 

              For the next while I just watch people go about doing the things that people did at parties. Drank, chatted, danced, made out, got pissed off with each other, made back up afterwards, drank some more. Pretty much everything I had come to expect out of a good party thanks to Hollywood.  I even had a great sideline to watch it all happen to everyone else.

 

              Sometime after the mocha skin woman left a blonde bombshell collapsed in the recliner next to my patch of wall once it had been abandoned by a prior occupant. She had strong features and a well-done tan she had either gotten out of state or at a salon. Matched that with trendy shorts, halter top, and knee length boots and I would bet she could have just about had any straight guy in here. Hell, she could probably have almost any gal she wanted as well.  She sat across the chair instead of in it properly, her feet kicking in the air innocently on the opposite side of it from me. She took a deep swallow of whatever was in her cheap plastic cup then lolled her head back to look at me from an upside-down vantage.

 

              Her positioning gave me a great view down the top of her halter which showed no tan lines I could see. She caught me looking and grinned wickedly at me. I felt my face reading in embarrassment, shame, and arousal not necessarily in that order.  Definitely shame now as I quickly looked away. The woman reversed herself quickly on the recliner, kneeling on the seat and leaning against the backrest with her chin on her forearms. The way she was positioned it stuck her butt out a little, pointing it back into the room. I did try my best not to be too obvious as I attempted to get a peek at her out of the corner of my eye. 

 

              “You like?”

 

              Her voice had been very playful and coffee completely off guard.

 

              “Uh?  Yeah… I guess?”  I am proud that I did not completely stammer however I still felt like a complete asshole by admitting that.

 

              That was probably not the answer she was looking for as she rolled her eyes at me before getting up to flounce away into another room. I think she said something sarcastic as she left, but I missed whatever it was to the background noise.

 

              “Jeeze…” 

 

              I finally pushed off the wall myself to go get another drink. This time something a bit stronger than just a soda I considered.

 

              After a bit of trouble negotiating the hallway I made it to the kitchen. There were, if it was even possible, even more hard liquor and drink varieties now that when I had first arrived. I guess I should have brought something, I didn't really know the etiquette to house parties though. Probably was only going to have one last drink before I left, even though I almost never drank alcohol regardless of my current age.  I have not yet spotted Becky in the almost hour since I got here and I was already feeling more than a little bit claustrophobic.

 

              “Oh, Hay Jayde!”

 

              I turned to the completely unexpected voice to find Suzi entering the kitchen from the hallway. I stood there breathless at her current outfit. For the last ten years she had been major into cosplay and costuming.  Her repertoire of materials and cosmetics would do a small production studio proud. If I didn't know her real hair color wasn't strawberry blonde and almost two feet in length I would be very hard pressed to guess. That over a loose white peasant blouse with wide sleeves and lacing up the front and below she had on a pair tight skin hugging pants. Simple and elegant, a far cry from her normal punker or gamer wear.

 

              My mouth must have bad hanging open from her mirthful expression. Once again, chalk it up for Mr. Idiot. I am pretty sure I was making a fool of myself, but I could not make myself to respond in any way shape or form.

 

              “Introduce me to your friend please Suz.”  A deep male voice sounded out from beside her.

 

              I had been so focused on Suzi I had completely missed the very handsome man off of her arm. Tall and athletic with a slightly Hispanic casters features. He was as incredibly groomed as any actor out of a soap opera could possibly be. Clothes to match my friend, they look like a couple that belonged off at a red-carpet event.

 

              “This is one of my oldest friends, Jayde. Jayde, this is Hernando. He is in town for a limited engagement so I'm treating him around.”

 

              Hernando held his hand out for meat lightly. I stirred for a few like a dumbass. Finally my brain caught up with reality.

 

              “Uh, hi?”  I reached out, his handshake was loose and refined. His skin soft to the touch as well as incredibly supple. I could only guess how much he made to look so good and dressed so well.

 

              “Jayde is it?”  I couldn't place his accent, but he seemed interested in talking at least.  “It is always so wonderful to make the acquaintance of any of deer Suzi’s friends. Especially one is interesting as I am sure you are.”

 

              Who what now? Me interesting? Only if a gamer dork working a toxic Taco place was interesting. Not wanting to look bad in front of Suzi though I didn't think admitting to that would be a good idea.

 

              “Well, I guess so. She has been a constant in my life for a long time now.”

 

              “Wonderful!” he exclaimed before disengaging from Suzy’s arms.  “So, what are you having to drink?”

 

              I looked to Susie for help only to find her looking mischievously at me.

 

              “Actually, I think I had better be going. I should get up early tomorrow, lots to do and such.”

 

              Hernando looked a bit put out by this.  “Oh, please do not leave on my account. I am quite sure we could have quite the good time this evening.”

 

              “Yes Jayde, please do stay.”

 

              Even with Suzy pitching in I really didn't want to play third fiddle.  “No, I’m sorry.”

 

              Susie came forward to give me a hug.  “Well give me a call later will you?”

 

              I nodded to her and pulled back only to find her friend pulling me into a very close embrace himself. I felt more than a little uncomfortable with a guy hugging me as I didn't know where to put my hands or how to respond. He gave one quick last squeeze that released me to arm’s length. He looked over at Susie while he had me by my shoulders.

 

              “You really will need to bring him around sometime Suz. Delectable truly.”  with the last squeeze that left me even more confused Hernando let go of me.  “Please Jayde, if you are free anytime soon do give me a call.”

 

              He handed me a card, I guess it had his information on it. Though I did not look at it just yet. All I wanted to do though was to make a beeline home. One last nod and goodbye to Suzi and I managed to get to the porch more or less intact. Thankfully Rob and his boyfriend were not out front. Also, I saw that Becky was getting out of a blue compact car at the curb. She leaned in to say something to the driver who pulled out before turning towards the house.

 

              “Jayde!  You made it.”  She came up to me with an infectiously friendly enthusiasm.

 

              "Hi Becky.  You look nice.”

 

              She did too. Hair done up in curls and wearing a fashionable set of jeans and blouse outfit.  She also had on Several pieces of jewelry that complemented her skin very pleasantly.

 

              Becky cocked her hip and cross her arms under her breasts, "Nice?  That’s all?”

 

              “OK, good?” I felt ashamed again. It really was not my evening.  “Decent?  I dunno?”

 

              A scowl began to set into her pretty face.  “Try again.”

 

              “Pretty?”

 

              She sighed and uncrossed her arms.  “Passable at least. C’mon let's go in and get a drink.”

 

              I shook my head. I really did not want to go back inside and make an ass out of myself in front of Susie once more.  “Sorry, I'm heading out.”

 

              “Oh really.” Becky deadpanned. “I just got here you know.”

 

              Now I felt even more awkward. Arms too long and hams oversized, nowhere to put them. First my pockets then after that nervously in front or behind me.  “Yeah, I'm really sorry. I've been looking for you, but I really don't know anyone here.”

 

              She gave me a look like I grown a second head.  “That's the point of going.”

 

              “I guess.”  I stood like that lamely, Becky waiting for me to continue for a bit.  “I guess I'm still sorry?  See you at next shift?”

 

              She looked at me crossly before she brushed past into the house.  “Fine.  Bye.”

 

              Now what did I do? She sounded really angry as she left.

 

              A bit more depressed I made my way back to the bus stop catch the next one towards my crappy apartment.  At least there I knew what to expect, I knew what was normal and what was not.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

End Chapter 03

 

Hope everyone loved this chapter. the next chapters of this and Summoned are up on my Patreon, they'll be out in a few weeks here too. If you like my work consider supporting me over there.

https://www.patreon.com/alyssnancyonymous

Also, yes, Jayde is something of a wet blanket.

 

3