10. training start and bait set (2)
31 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A short ride to the lower city made Leko’s queasiness even worse. He hid a grimace, stepped off the carriage, and entered the library. Now knowing where it was, he could be dropped off right by it. Leko waved at the couch man and dismissed the carriage.

“Hey old man, how are you doing?” Leko asked the man who stood by the counter. His back was turned away from the door, his pale hair hung loosely, unlike the previous time Leko was here. The man had it tied back then.

“Young master, welcome back. This old man is doing quite fine.” The old man gestured to the spot where Leko had sat before. “I had your seat reserved for you.”

Grinning at the man, Leko made his way to the comfy seat. He sunk into it with joy and let out a soft, happy groan. He closed his eyes and listened to the whispered murmurs of the few people that occupied the place. The turning pages. The crackling fire, and the light sound of music, instrumental with no vocals. To Leko, it sounded like a small slice of heaven.

Hearing a soft thump, he opened his eyes and blinked at the smiling face of the old man. He glanced down at the book and tea the man had placed on the table.

“Young Master, I kept your story for you so no one would take it. I hope this pleases you?”

Leko almost beamed. Man, being the son of the Duke was awesome. He coughed and nodded at the old man. Leko leaned forward to take the book, but froze.

“I don’t know your name, old man?” Leko asked. He turned his head and faced the old man.

“Ah, this old man is Ari.” Ari answered with a sharp twist to his lips.

“Old man Ari.” Leko tasted the name and nodded in satisfaction.

Grabbing the book, Leko settled down for an hour of relaxing. He sipped at the tea and hummed at the curious taste. The last time Leko was here, the tea tasted like peaches and herbs. This time, Leko felt like flowers bloomed in his mouth after each sip he took. An unconscious smile slipped from his lips.

He took long, leisurely sips of the tea as he read, only stopping to wipe his sweaty palms on a handkerchief.

Leko paid attention to the door as the figure of his butler stepped into the library. Kurio spotted Leko immediately.

“Young master,” Kurio said in greeting. He took his position next to the seat that Leko was seated in. Leko nodded at his butler, who frowned. He glanced over Leko’s body. Kurio stepped forward, holding out another handkerchief. He indicated Leko’s face.

“May I?”

After nodding his consent, Kurio tipped Leko’s face up and dabbed at the sweat on his face. The butler’s eyes were tinted with worry.

“Is this going to be a regular problem, young master?” Kurio sounded curious, but his voice seemed a bit strained. Leko wondered if the man had lost someone to poisoning.

“Hmm, for a short while.” Leko shrugged. He glanced away from Kurio, feeling guilty about the off chance of having dragged up any unpleasant memories.

The sweating wasn’t much of a problem as long as he didn’t come into contact with other nobles and stayed inside Baira. “My body is trying to get rid of it and it’s not used to it, so I’ll be sweating a lot for a while as my body adapts. I’ll be sick as well at some point. If it bothers you so much, then bring me water. It helps clear out toxins. There’s nothing else you can do short of giving me the cure, but that would make this training useless.”

Kurio sighed, letting go of Leko’s face. Leko observed the man’s indifferent expression. Contradicting the troubled look in his eyes. Leko turned back to his book and hummed.

“Did you manage what I asked?” Leko tried for a change of subject.

“I did not.” A frown slipped onto Leko’s face for a moment before he hid his disappointment. “This type of thing is better suited to my sister. I gave her the job instead,”

Kurio continued.

Leko turned to Kurio in surprise. “Oh?”

Kurio nodded with a small, proud smile. The worry in his eyes faded a little and his face softened.

“My sister is an expert at gathering and using information. For tasks like this. I would suggest young master call on my sister instead of me.”

It was new information. Nothing said that Faier was good at gathering information. Leko thought back to the novel and mentally scanned over the story. There were moments when Faier had information that she gave to Calen’s party that seemed like it came out of nowhere. It wasn’t something Leko had noticed much. Writing it off as plot convenience.

“I’m certain she can do as you needed, young master.” Kurio smiled down at Leko.

Leko nodded at Kurio and started reading again. He was only interrupted when Kurio brought him water. A sigh slipped from his lips as he drank it. He’d have preferred tea, but the concerned gaze that watched him made him feel guilty. The butler was too soft.

Once the lazy hour was up, Leko thanked the old man and left for the northeast side of the city. He glanced around until he found the building he needed. This was his last stop before heading back to the castle for his lessons with Friar.

The inside of the building was chilled and had a metallic smell in the air. Leko’s eyes observed the various weapons that lined the walls. His gaze locked on a man who lazily leaned against the counter. Leko walked forward and stood quietly for a few minutes. The man continued to ignore him.

“You understand that I can have your store shut down,” Leko said with a smile.

“Ah.” The man jerked. He smiled at Leko. “Young master Leko, I didn’t see you there. Forgive me,” the man simpered.

Leko raised a brow. He laid down his order and left as quickly as he came. Leko glanced at Kurio’s furious face. He tapped against the butler’s back.

“Calm down. Let’s go back to the castle.”

His free time was almost over, and Leko didn’t want to be late for Friar’s lessons. Kurio left to get him a carriage for the trip back.

Walking into the ballroom and seeing Friar made Leko excited. Sure, he needed to get strong, but he wanted to dance. This was going to be the only lesson he’d actually enjoy.

“Mother, I’m excited about getting started.” He told her the truth, and her face brightened at his words.

“My baby!” Friar squealed and squashed Leko against herself. She pulled back and dragged him to the center. Friar turned to face him and hummed as she eyed his body. Leko tried not to fidget. It wasn’t his fault, he’s only been here for three days, and he couldn’t work miracles. Friar nodded, satisfied.

“Much better.”

Leko glanced down at his clothes, which were now different from before. He raised an eyebrow and shifted. It was pretty baggy, making him feel like a male gypsy. His chest was almost completely open. Of course, as a man, this didn’t matter, but four days ago he had been a she. Leko tugged at the soft material over his chest. The only sign of his discomfort.

“Alright, we’ll start with some basics. Come here.”

He followed Friar as she taught him to dance. A few minutes in, he realized that the style of dancing was not the type he’d set out to learn at the start. One look at the shining eyes of the blond-haired woman had Leko shutting his mouth. This style was better suited to his training, so he’d learn it instead. His movements were stiff, both due to his inexperience and his taut body. Leko didn’t have the flexibility to accurately and fluidly twist his body at the odd angle the dance required of him.

His respect for contemporary dancers shot up by a mile and a half

A small puff of air struggled to escape from Leko’s lips. The sound of the door opening had Leko tugging at the loose fabric by his chest without thinking. Leko leaned his head back and watched Kurio bring in food. He kept his hands on the fabric. Making sure it didn’t slip and expose his chest.

“Did Tor make it?” Leko asked.

He glanced at Friar for a second with a light frown. Before sighing in relief when Kurio shook his head. The two previous doses of poison were still screwing with his body. He’d struggle to get through the day if he had to ingest more.

“Will you be fine, young master?” Kurio’s concerned voice had Leko looking at him in curiosity.

“I’ll live,” Leko reassured him. Kurio bowed and stepped back. His face still held concern.

“Where will you be heading after lunch?” Friar asked.

Swallowing the bite he took from the sandwich in his hands, Leko answered. He was meant to be having lunch with the Duke, but Friar stopped him from leaving. She told him to eat with her first, then leave to talk to the Duke. Leko didn’t want to face the Duke’s anger, but it could be worse if he hurt Friar’s feelings. It was well known that the Duke was unreasonable when it came to his wife.

“I have weaponry in the east garden.”

“Your father isolated it for you, didn’t he?”

Leko nodded while taking another bite. They did not use the east garden much, which is why the Duke gave it to him for use. Friar’s lips were painted in a sad smile. Leko held himself back from asking. It was likely not his concern.

Once the quick lunch his mother insisted on having with him was over, Leko left for the Duke’s office. He stood in front of the doors for a solid second before steeling himself and pushing them open. Leko announced himself with a flat voice. He kept his legs stiff.

“Good afternoon, father.”

“Leko,” The Duke greeted him. Leko bowed. Though his body was lowered, he made sure to keep the Duke in his line of sight.

“Father, you wanted to speak with me?”

“You’re later than I expected. Have you eaten?”

“Mother insisted I ate with her.”

Contrary to Leko’s expectations, the Duke smiled. Leko had made sure to mention Friar, not to throw her under the bus but because the Duke was fond of her and any punishment could be made lighter by admitting he was doing what she wanted. Leko still didn’t expect the man to actually smile.

“Yes, I prefer not to eat lunch. I need to thank her later.”

Then why invite him for lunch? Leko sat down in front of the Duke’s desk. Leko let the matter slide from his thoughts. It wasn’t like it was a problem. He’d just need to remember for the future. Pleasing the Duke who was taking care of him was a must.

“I’m rather busy, so I’ll be quick.” The Duke placed his pen down and rested his chin on the palm of his hand. He watched Leko with a warm expression. “I don’t want you traveling for the first while, after six months?”

Leko shook his head. “Too long. I have a few things I want to do and I’m a quick learner. Allow me to leave after three.” Six months was too much; Leko needed to be stronger. He wasn’t going to find the strength he wanted by remaining stuck behind the protective walls of Baira. There was also the stuff he needed to get his hands on. Stuff that was going to disappear if Leko waited too long.

“I can’t allow you to leave if I don’t think you’re capable. A compromise then, after three months, I’ll test you. If you pass, you may leave. If you fail, however, you stay for another three months.”

Leko stayed silent. He couldn’t risk it. There were things he wanted to do before the plot started and six months was too long. He’d miss the opportunity. Should he try again to convince the Duke? Leko locked eyes with the man and held back a frown. The Duke’s expression was warm but his eyes were steel. No, the Duke won’t budge. Leko will have to work around it then. He’ll come up with some type of plan.

“Alright.”

“Thank you. As for your traveling companions. I expect a list of who you want with you. If it's a good group, I’ll let it go. If not, I’ll add a few more myself." Leko bowed his head in acceptance. It was the best he was going to get.

“You will, of course, receive a fund to use while traveling.”

He left the Duke’s office with a small frown twitching at his lips. Leko wiped the look from his face, setting the matter to the back of his mind. He’d work on it later. Making a plan to escape early shouldn't be so difficult.

4