17. the spirit festival (1)
28 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stepping through the gates, Leko immediately noticed the difference. In Baira, the people were a light breeze of fresh air as they floated through their day with laughter and smiles. His eyes scan over the faces of the people that pass by him. They smiled and laughed, but their eyes were a tad too sharp. Their lips are a bit too stiff. There were the barest bones of happiness mixed with a current of fear.

He could already tell that he’d find staying here annoying.

“Young Master, The Jolly Inn was the most recommended,” Faier said.

Jaika is curious.

Jaika wants to know why it was named the Jolly inn.

Jaika wants to know, does it make you Jolly?

Leko nodded at Faier. His eyes jumped between the party members, taking note of their tired faces. They’ve been traveling for ten days. The Buthas were not the only monsters to attack. It was expected, Minor monsters always went for travelers. They rotated the duty of guarding the camp. The knights were meant to take care of it but he didn’t trust them with his life. Leko and his servants had their own schedule that they worked around. Though it resulted in a severely tired and grumpy party.

The constant riding, camping, and fighting had everyone stiff, weary, and tired. A night's sleep on a bed would do them a lot of favors.

They trudged their way towards the Inn in silence. Even the talkative Zerin kept to himself. Normally, Leko would enjoy the quiet, but his sore body distracted him. Leko stretched his stiff muscles as they got closer to where he could see a sign reading ‘The Jolly inn’. The building was pretty in a simple way. With cream walls and dainty greenery hanging from the roof. A few tables stood out front with three or four chairs packed around them. It reminded Leko of a modern-style cafe. It even had a chalkboard menu.

Kurio stepped in first, and Leko followed behind him.

“New guests! Welcome.”

Jaika thinks she certainly seems jolly.

A young woman beamed at them as the party stepped into the inn. Leko took stock of the wide open space and minimalistic design. It was like a five-star bed-and-breakfast. He hummed, noting to remember the Inn for when he passes through the city again.

“You’re here for the spirit festival, right? Is it your first time in Lecorreno? How long will you be staying? I’ll book you right in!”

Jaika is excited.

“Spirit festival?”

Leko glanced at Faier. Her tired appearance all but melted away.

“Yes! Is that not why you’re here? You should go! It’s tomorrow. Lasts the whole day. It’s the most fun thing in this city. There are stalls, and games, and shows, even a parade! The best part is the fireworks in the evening!”

Jaika wants to go.

He watched the party perk up the more she spoke and bit back an annoyed sigh. Their eyes started flicking toward him, then away repeatedly.

They needed time to restock, and he deserved some lazy time.

“Stop talking and book us in for three nights.”

Jaika is cheering.

“Of course!”

The lively party kept chattering as the inn worker sorted out their rooms. Leko’s gaze landed on a pamphlet. Scanning the dressy, happy-looking couple. His gaze turned away, and he read the minimal information about the festival.

“Faier,” Leko called. He picked up one of the pamphlets.

“Young master?”

“Take money from my bag and get everyone outfits for the thing. If you’re all going, you’re representing the Hosyn household. I expect everyone to look the part.” He held out the paper to his maid, who happily took it from him. She hummed and nodded. Faier looked at the style of dress that the pamphlet said was traditionally worn at the spirit festival.

“We will all look our best, young master,” she sang.

The knights looked at him, stupefied, as Faier gushed to them about going shopping. Leko resisted the urge to laugh at the stupid look on their faces.

“Your room keys! You’re all on the top floor, the best rooms we have.”

Picking one at random, Leko threw the others at Kurio. The butler caught them with ease. He picked out his own key before handing the rest off to Faier. She spread them to the rest of the party. Leko waited for a second to see if everyone got a key before leaving.

He wanted a soft bed to curl into.

“Will you not be coming to the festival, young master?” Kurio asked.

“What's the point?”

Jaika wants to go!

“You’re a god. You can go wherever you want, Jaika,” Leko muttered under his breath.

“We servants would like to spend time with our young master,”

Jaika wants to go with Leko.

He wanted to snort at the notion. It would ruin the atmosphere with him being there. He was their master, not their friend.

“It would be beneficial to see what this festival is like in case its something the citizen of Baira would prefer.” Kurio tried again.

He was right, it could be something the people might enjoy. It was always good to keep your people happy. Leko grumbled to himself.

“Go get me an outfit.”

Jaika cheers.

Kurio left with a pleased smile. Sometimes Leko wondered if there was something wrong with the butler. His reaction always seemed weird. Deciding to ignore it, Leko changed himself into something more comfortable and climbed into the bed that seemed to call for him. He groaned as his body sunk into the mattress. The blissful silence, warm covers, and soft mattress had him slipping off.

“You’ve been missing.” His voice slurred slightly. He hasn’t seen Jaika in a few days.

Jaika has a life.

“Really? I pictured you as a wrinkly old woman who likes watching beautiful young men.”

Jaika wants to know where the beautiful man is?

Leko snorted before allowing his eyes to close. What a cheeky god.

“Young Master, it’s time to wake up.”

Cracking one bleary eye open, he glared at Faier. She pulled the covers off him, ignoring his hateful stare. Leko contemplated grabbing onto the covers and not letting go.

“It’s time for breakfast, Young master. You skipped dinner last night, you can’t skip breakfast too. The others are all up and excited for today, so please, let’s join everyone.”

Coming out of the bathroom, Leko eyed the outfit Kurio held in his hands. He stayed silent as the butler dressed him and watched it come together in the mirror. It looked like a loose kimono. Kurio wrapped the draping fabric around him. He tied a satin sash around Leko's waist. The sleeves were sheer. There was a parting in the center, going all the way up to his shoulder. Allowing it to hang to the sides. The end of the sleeve had a satin wrap that was tied around his wrists. They colored the whole thing in white except for the satin, which was molten gold, and the sheer sleeves that had gold trimmings decorating them.

He looked dainty.

“You look beautiful, young master.”

Entering the Inn’s dining parlor with Kurio behind him. Leko took note of the sudden silence. He kept his face impassive. Sitting down next to Faier, Tor immediately placed a meal in front of Leko.

Steamed frost berry buns, lamb streaks, grapes, and flapjacks. He dug into the food and hummed in appreciation. For the ten days of traveling, they’ve mostly been eating meat. Leko missed the sweet taste of fruits.

“Young Master, where will everyone be going first?” Faier tilted her head. She smiled in excitement as Leko blinked at her.

“Just go wherever you want. I don’t care.”

“We are your guards,” Venas said.

Leko stared at him in amazement. Was this the first time he heard the man speak? The green-haired man stared him down. Leko turned back to his food. Right, they probably didn’t have money to waste on stupid festival games. How much do guards and servants even get paid? Leko sighed and waved at Faier, who tilted her head.

“Give everyone money to spend.”

There, now they could all leave him alone, right?

“Young Master, we can’t accept it. You’ve been generous enough as it is!” Zerin exclaimed.

He looked up and frowned at the man. When had he been generous?

“Ah, we don’t mean to offend you-”

“Take the money and get lost. You’re relieved of your guard duty for the day.”

It’s not like Leko relied on them, anyway. He’d have Kurio and Faier with him. They were enough support to fall back on if he needed it. In fact, he doubted anything would happen to him, with the two of them watching over him.

Leko’s brows furrowed as he caught the shining eyes of the knights. He hesitantly went back to the food.

Weirdos surrounded him. Maybe it was just a thing in this world.

4