19. the spirit festival (3)
46 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Staring down at the dainty wreath of white blossoms and beaded silver berries, Leko furrowed his browscontemplating what he should do. Jaika, that weird god, gave him a quest to make her a flower crown.

The pleasant thought of a free one hundred experience points had him eager. So he made it without complaint. His hands gently twisted the thin green stems far easier now that he had already done it correctly before. Carefully balancing the delicate crown in his handsLeko glanced at the clear skies. How was he expected to get it to her? She existed on a different plane; it was not like it was easy!

As if answering his thoughts, a pale glow engulfed the floral crown. The flowers and grass wither, ironic, under his curious gaze. His hands cup the luminescent white ash. A slight breeze scattered it from his grasp and into the crisp air.

Leko pursed his lipsholding his breath for a few seconds to not let the dust particles get in his mouth or nose. With the ash gone from his sightLeko drew in a breath.

Curiously, his eyes flicked towards the party, who looked no more surprised than they had been before. That is, not at all. Leko supposed this type of thing was typical for them. He was the odd one out, finding it fascinating but strange.

Quest complete.

Reward: 100 EXP; Jaika is happy.

The green box covered his vision. Leko’s lazy gaze spared a second for it before dismissing the notification. If Jaika being weird allowed him easy experience points, no complaints would fall from Leko’s lips. He had enough experience with annoying children to tolerate her whims.

“I’m bored,” Leko stated.

His servants spotlessly cleaned up their area in eager haste and dragged him off. This time, they all stuck together. Leko’s vision became covered in white painted wooden stalls, spread throughout the main streets of the stone city, chiselled pillars painted with dancing fairy-like figures and pleasantly chattering citizens with the odd loud laugh sprinkling through.

Kurio stayed glued to his side. His chilled aura was unmoving from behind Leko’s left. His butler commented on the fascinating things he saw or anything Leko’s sparkling eyes stayed on for more than a few seconds. Leko hid his twitching lips each time he caught his servants glaring fiercely at the people who shot looks at Leko. The citizen’s not hiding their distaste well.

Faier jumped from stall to stall, picking up anything shiny, including earrings. Often decorating the other servants and Leko with whatever she found.

Buni strolled along, making snide comments about the people and sometimes about Leko. His eyes would darken and terrify the few brave citizens that were too loud with their opinions on Leko.

Tor was quiet, but he’d disappear and reappear with new foods for them to try. It was a pleasant afternoon. However, Leko’s energy was starting to drain.

Leko ignored the knights, who trailed behind them in piqued curiosity. They weren’t quite a part of the group, but also not so distanced that you’d think them all strangers.

He needed them to be semi-comfortable. It would be a long few months if they were distant from him and his servants. His threat when they first encountered monsters made their social chasm even bigger. He had to crack the barrier that separated them all somehow.

Leko glanced around the area they had stopped. His servants played a few games and showed him their stuffed trophies with cheerful gazes.

knight stood alone close to a game stall. She bit her lip and stared at one of the prizes. The knight subtly shifted on her feet. Her expressive eyes flicked between the game and the prize she clearly wanted.

“You like the teddy?” Leko asked. He stood behind her, his eyes analyzing the game. His eyebrows shot into the air at the type of game presented. A little amused twist played on his lips. How fun!

Tirik squeaked and spun to face him. He noted her red ears. Leko stepped forward, paying the guy managing the stand for a round. The stall attendant placed a rifle in his hands. Leko snorted, settling it in his palms He hasn’t held a gun since he got here. He didn’t even know they existed in this world.

There was never any type of gun used in the book. Leko didn’t even know it was an option. There was the possibility that they may only use them as toys. It would be a shame. Could he commission someone to make him one? He missed the feel of a rifle in his hands.

A critical look over the rifle had him acknowledging that it wasn’t any make he recognized, but he shouldn’t have expected it to be.

“You… what are you doing? Tirik demanded. Her rosy flush was gone, and her lips settled into a scowl. Her narrowed eyes were trying to scare him. Mild amusement bubbled in his chest.

Playing.”

He looked up and waited eagerly for the figures of a bird-like creature to move. Lifting the gunLeko shot each one out of the sky. Tirik gaped at him. Sufficiently satisfied, he gave the rifle back to the stall owner. It wasn’t as good as he used to be, but he had no muscle memory, so he felt like it wasn’t bad.

Pre-learned skill unlocked.

Sniper.

You can shoot people from far distances.

Rank C level 92.

Why are you using a crossbow?

He smirked at the glowing notification. Pre-learned? What an exciting concept. Most of the skills he learned since he was here were all new. It was more exciting learning something he didn’t know then re-learning something he did. Leko didn’t want to start from the beginning. It seemed like that wasn’t a problem. When he had a break, he needed to list his old skills that would be useful.

“That one.” Leko pointed at the little fairy-like creature that Tirik had been eyeing. Leko threw the thing to Tirik. Her face flushed as she stared at it.

Stupid noble! Do you think this will make me like you more!?

She stomped away with harsh mutters. Leko’s lips twitched when she shot him a nasty look. He played a few more games. Each time, he threw the teddy to Tirik. Each time, she cussed him and stomped away. He watched her struggle to carry the mountain of teddies in amusement. Her face was flushed and half buried in the pile. Her narrow eyes shot constant threats in his direction.

It was cute.

“Young master, it’s time for lunch.”

Turning, Leko blinked at his gloomy servants. Their slumped forms and bitter expressions caught him off guard. Kurio’s voice sounded strained. The man stood there, pouting at Leko.

“Okay?” He said. Uncertainty tinted his voice.

Leko's servants walked with sagged shoulders and depressing auras. Buni kept sending looks at the knights that screamed danger. Did the knights do something while he was toying with Tirik? Well, it didn’t matter. He trusted his servants. They knew how to control themselves. If it were anything worth mentioning, they’d tell him. So he’ll let it go.

His eyes flicked to the knights. Leko blinked at the guard formation they held around Tirik.

He huffed in exasperation. Did they think he was going to do something to the woman? He snorted and shook his head. Leko folded his arms and kept his face clear. He’d stop teasing the woman if it made them uncomfortable.

“Where are we going to eat?” Leko asked his servants. They all turned to him with contemplative frowns.

They decided on a picnic in the same garden in which they had made the crowns. Leko lay on the blanket with his eyes closed. He enjoyed the heat of the sun’s rays on his face. The wind carried a chill, but the sun’s heat broke it quickly. The crown Faier made rested on his stomach. He listened to the chatter of the surrounding people. The sparse few citizens gave them a wide berth. His servants and the knights claimed three blankets. They loitered around, sitting in groups of two’s or three’s.

“We still have months’ worth of travelling left,” Zerin said. A lazy smile stretched his face. His eyes fluttered every few seconds. Braided pale blue hair danced with the wind as he lay on his side. His head propped on his palm.

Tired of us already?” Buni snarked. The blond raised a brow and kicked at Zerin’s arm. The knight’s head dropped from his palm. His hand flopped against the blanket.

Shifting to lie on his side., Leko settled comfortably. He watched the party with lidded eyes. The longer they walked, the more the tension between the group grew. They weren’t helping him in his plans to diminish the distance between the two groups.

Zerin laughed and waved his hands animatedly. “No, nothing like that. I was pointing out a fact.

“We should all get along,” Faier beamed. The young master won’t like it if we fight. She said this with a smile, but her eyes narrowed on Tirik. Leko raised a brow. Did the two of them get into a fight? When had that happened? He wasn’t paying enough attention to his servants if he didn’t even know.

“I don’t like you,” Tirik snapped at Faier. The maid’s smile didn’t waver at the harsh tone.

“Don’t ruin the atmosphere, miss knight,” Faier said. Her smile stretched. Her eyes glinted with malice. Leko watched the two as if it were a play.

“I have a name,” Tirik growled. Faier laughed. The mocking edge to her laughter enraged Tirik even more. The knight balled her fists and snarled.

Faier.”

For all her smiles, Faier was the one picking the fight right now. Leko didn’t want to deal with the headache from a catfight. Especially one between two powerful women. He feared for the city if that were to happen.

“Young master?” Faier turned to him with a cute tilt of her head. Faier replaced her dark look with bright, innocent enthusiasm. Leko withheld a chuckle at her antics.

“Come here.”

The maid stood. She made her way next to Leko. He pulled her down. Falling onto his backhe settled his head in her lap. Best to keep her somewhere he could stop her from moving.

“Stop picking fights. She’s not worth it. He murmured so only she would hear him. Her smile turned soft. Her eyes curved as she looked down at him. She ran her hands through his hair.

“I’m sorry, you’re right. She’s not worth it.

Buni.” Leko tilted his head sideways to look at the assassin butler. The blond’s eyes snapped to Leko with curiosity.

“Master.” He asked.

“Why don’t you play touchies with the knights?”

Leko’s curiosity about their strength was nagging at him. Using Buni as a measure would be good enough. Leko already had a basic idea of his servant’s skills and levels. The first two weeks after he became a hunterBuni joined him in the Parkour course. Tor followed the next day. In the third week, he admitted to his plans to travel. Since then, his servants have joined him in all his training.

It pleased him a lot.

The vast garden had enough clear space for Buni to toy with the knights.

Leko’s lips twitched. He shifted in Faier’s lap so he could watch the action.

“Sounds like fun,” Buni grinned.

Buni dominated the knights. Leko enjoyed the sight of them losing their self-assured sense of power, scrambling around like children trying to get away from Buni. Their expressions were gold to Leko. Faier and Kurio cheered scores each time Buni caught one of the nights. The assassin was merciless. Leko felt certain the knights would be bruised and in pain the following day.

A flickering ball of light appeared in front of Lio’s face. The knight seemed oblivious to it. His face twisted in a mixture of panicamusement, and fear. Buni stalked his way towards Lio. He was giving him more than enough time to escape. Lio bolted as fast as he could from his fellow blond.

More lights started showing up around the field. Leko blinked as one appeared right in front of him. He lifted a handpoking it. A giggle came from the light before it flew off. His curiosity peaked. He knew what they were, of course. Strange for him to see them. Leko sat up. Faier tilted her head and watched him.

New ability gained.

Can’t fuse.

Medium.

You can see and interact with spirits.

Rank F level 1.

You can see them and probably ask for a favour. That’s about it.

He watched the little lights float around the field. Leko held back a laugh when one flew under Zerin’s feet, and the knight landed face first in the grass.

Ran didn’t have Leko’s restraint and burst out laughing. Buni shut her up with a quick, harsh tap to her back, Ran yelped and dashed from the assassin.

Medium was the first ability he gained that didn’t classify as a skill. He was curious about how he earned it. The hero’s start line never said how mediums gained the ability. the novel mentioned it in passing. Calen never managed to interact with a medium.

Leko cupped one of the lights that floated close to him. A warm tingle spread through his hand. The light giggled. A pitch lower than the other light, Leko supposed he should call them spirits and not lights.

Spirits. They could interact with the physical world, but the physical world couldn’t interact with them. They were useful. Leko needed to work on the skill.

He smiled at the spirit. The light dimmed, and Leko could see the little human-like figure that sat in his hand.

Hello,” He muttered warmly. The little spirit waved at him.

Such a cute little spirit.

By the time evening rolled around, Leko wanted his bed. Sleeping for a few years felt like a great idea.

His stamina has gone up more than enough to handle a day of walking. He’s simply been out peopled. Too much talking, too much playing nice, too much being human.

Leko needed a break from everyone.

As the parade show started, Leko slipped away.

He wandered aimlessly for a few minutes in the deserted ally ways as far from people as he could manage. His palms trailed along frosty stone walls as he passed through the ghostly areas. The darkness surrounded him.

The sound of people grew more distant. Their voices echoed eerily in the near silence. His eyes kept diligent guard. Lights around him flickered as he passed a deserted building.

brightersofter light glowed a few steps ahead of him. Another appeared a few more steps ahead. Leko observed the spirits before trudging after them.

His light steps echoed between the cracked walls of the empty path. The light echo of voices dissipated and was replaced with many footfalls. Darker voices started echoing. Leko listened to them, to their whispers of buying. Of things that shouldn’t be.

A harsh breath slipped from Leko. He pinched his brows, and his slow walk became more hurried.

The spirits led him to a plain-looking building, far from the city's centre where the festival was held. Leko observed the people that entered the place. He listened to their talks. Their voices and words grated at his nerves. They sparked a raging fire.

Leko cleared his expression and breathed to calm himself.

They all wore masks and black hoods that shrouded their faces in darkness. Leko frowned as he started following them at the spirit’s urging.

Leko glanced at the knights, who stood rigid. Their eyes scanned for intruders. He held his breath as he passed them. No knight spared him a glance. Leko’s eyes flicked to the spirits that surrounded him, glowing a bit brighter than they had been before.

Stepping past the doors, he made his way into the building.

He ignored the people and kept following the spirits. They guided him away from the crowds and into an empty hall. He barely glanced at the decorations. It was as plain and unassuming as the outside of the building.

The spirits pointed him to a door. Leko hesitated before pushing it open and catching sight of the contents.

He understood what the spirits wanted from him. Leko rubbed at the bridge of his nose and sighed.

This city got on his nerves.

Dirty, ragged, and hurt. The unfortunate creatures were chained like rabid dogs and locked up in cages. There was no fight. Their eyes were all dull as they slumped in their prison.

Creatures.

Once this frustrating night was over. There would be a nice long chat between Leko and the Viscount of the struggling city.

Humans truly were the worst sort of monsters.

4