Chapter 17 – Kumo’s Story [2]
114 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A terrible pain on her stomach woke up the spider.

 

She didn't move. She couldn't. The pain paralyzed her whole body. She wanted to let out a grown but even that was possible for her. Under pain she opened two of her eyes. Above her was the sky. So she wasn't in the forest again. And... it was already dark? There were clouds, but behind them, she clearly saw the moon. For how long was she unconscious? And then, she heard voices.

 

“I tell you the spider tried to save me!” A female voice said.

 

“But why would a spider save a human? I have never heard of something like that.” Another female voice said.

 

“Anastasia... Without the spider, I would be dead. Wouldn't I?” She asked.

 

“Probably. No, you would be dead for sure. But still... Maybe the spider just attacked you and saved you unwillingly.” Anastasia said.

 

“So you think it just crashed into me and then tried to leave and that was unwillingly?”

 

“Have you ever heard of an intelligent spider, Anya? And even when it's intelligent. Why would it risk your life for you? If it really knew that the Salamander would blow up, why would it save you?” A male voice then joined the conversation.

 

“That would be just dumb.” Anastasia said.

 

The spider would have loved to complain, but well, she couldn't agree more. It was dumb. And reckless. And the pain she now in was worse than anything she had lived through before. Would she do it again? Definitely not!

 

“I dont know...” Anya said slowly. “But you have to agree that it's very weird.”

 

The spider couldn't see them. What she could see was that there was a campfire. With three silhouettes around them. She was sure that those were the adventurers from before. So they saved her. She felt that there were something like bandages around her stomach and also something else, like a paste, that made the pain slightly bearable. But she wouldn't move until she was sure that they wouldn't kill her. There was no way she could run now.

 

“What do you think for how long she will sleep? Maybe we will get some answers then.” The male voice asked.

 

“I don't know. The wound is terrible and the spider will keep a big scar, but I used some of the salve we bought for the fight. It will survive.” Anastasia said.

 

The spider was surprised. So they actually saved her. And they even used something so she can heal faster. Humans are like that? Well, she did the same. No, she even did more. They saved her and she risked her life for them. The spider always made sure that there weren't any debts left. After all, a spider always pays her debts. If it wasn't about the terrible pain, she would probably feel happy.

 

“What do we do with the spider?” The male was asked.

 

“We'll take care of it until it's ready to leave.” Anya said in a demanding voice.

 

“But, we have to talk to the adventurers guild soon. We killed the salamander and before any other idiot claims it, we should hurry back.” Anastasia said hastily.

 

“No way I will let the spider just die here. If we leave now it will die for sure. And I'm still sure it saved me on purpose. You can leave without me, if you want.” Anya said. She became angry.

 

“Nah, we can't leave you here. The forest is dangerous. Let's just wait.” The male voice said.

 

“Thanks, Kuro. I'll pay for the first round after we come back.” Anya said.

 

“You will definitely pay for the whole night!” Anastasia said out loudly and all of them burst out in laughter.

 

'So, I'm safe. Hmm? Good.' Was the spider's last thought before she fell asleep.

 

Time passed and as she opened her eyes again. She could see the clear blue sky. And, unfortunately, feel the pain. Before she moved she remembered back. What happened yesterday and the talk from the night. Should she try to move now? She felt like she was able to. Whatever the salve was, it was fantastic. Even for a spider. But, was it even safe around humans? They could get scared and attack her. Anya probably not, but she still wasn't so sure about Anastasia and Kuro.

 

“Hmm...?” It was Anastasia who was looking towards the spider. “I think it's awake.”

 

“Are you sure?” Kuro then asked.

 

“No, but the breathing changed and its feeling pain.” Anastasia said. She had more magical abilities than just throwing fireballs around. She was able to feel the emotions of monsters. Emotions were perhaps too much to say. Only superficial impressions. Like pain, fear, happiness and other intense but simple feelings. She also had a life detection skill, which made it almost impossible to ambush them in a close range. A very convenient ability when it was about hunting monsters. If it wasn't about them being distracted by the salamander, the spider wouldn't have been able to come even close to them.

 

Still lying on the ground, but with all eyes open now, the spider was looking at the group. There was no point in hiding or pretending anymore. Standing up also wasn't a good idea. They could take this as a reason to kill her and besides feeling better, she still had no chance of running away. So her only option to survive was... Waiting. So she waited. And then, one of the humans was walking towards her.

 

“Anya... Stop. It could still attack you.” Kuro said from behind.

 

“Ahh... I already told you. It was trying to save me. Don't worry too much. Besides, it's just a small spider, what's the worst that could happen?” Anya said. The spider knew that she was right. Even without the wound there was no way that she could even stretch them. They defeated the huge salamander and weren't even out of breath. If they were trapped in threads. Her web might have a chance to win, but on an open field like that. She doubts that even all of the spiders from her web together could defeat them. They were just too strong.

 

“Hello, little spider.” Finally their eyes met. Anya had a smile on her face, like she was talking to a little child. “Have you tried to save me?”

 

It was painful, but the spider was able to nod. She was scolding herself for even thinking about running away. In her current state she couldn't even stand properly.

 

“Wow...” Anya looked at her with a surprised expression. “Do you understand me?”

 

The spider nodded again. Begging that she wouldn't have to answer more questions, or she might pass out from the pain.

 

“What?” Anastasia and Kuro simuationalsy said. They now walked also towards the spider.

 

“She understands us.” Anya said and was smiling.

 

“I haven't heard of a spider that can understand the human language before. Is that even possible?” Kuro asked.

 

“Well...” Anastasia started, she was the person with the most knowledge about the forest. She studied a lot and it was in her responsibility to prepare the group properly for a fight. Actually, she felt bad because she didn't know about the salamander exploding after dying. “The forest is huge. We haven't even discovered 10% of it. So it's not impossible. Obviously.” As she looked at the spider.

 

“We should report that to the guild later. Maybe they even give us a reward. Sometimes they pay really well only for information.” Kuro suggested and they all agreed.

 

“Wait... Can you talk?” Anya asked curiously. If the spider can understand them, it might be able to talk as well.

 

But the spider couldn't answer. One more move, even if it's just a nodding or shaking her head, she will pass out from the pain. So she just closed her eyes.

 

“Hmm, I guess not. Let's give her a name!” Anya said excitedly.

 

“Nooo, are you crazy? It's illegal to give monsters a name.” Anastasia hurriedly said and Kuro was just shaking his head.

 

“It's not illegal for monsters that save your life, tho!”

 

“I don't think... that's a rule.” Kuro tried to intervene.

 

“I don't care. It's just a spider. What's the worst that could happen? I also think the spider deserves a name.” Anya was adamant about that.

 

After shaking their heads they all agreed in the end.

 

'A name? What's that? It's that what they call each other?' The spider was still hearing the conversation but kept her eyes closed. ‘The Oni she once met had a name.’

 

“Let's call it... Spiderbro!” Anya suggested.

 

“No!” Anastasia and Kuro said simultaneously.

 

“Why?” Anya puffed her cheeks.

 

“Maybe it's a girl. Do you want a female spider with the name Spiderbro?” Anastasia actually had a valid point there. Even Anya agreed.

 

“The last time we fought a spider, there was this girl with us. The one with the mask and fire spells. She said they call spiders Kumo in her home country. So what about Kumo?” Kuro suggested.

 

“Yeah, and it almost sounds like Kuro!”

 

“That's not it! It's a good name!” Kuro demanded.

 

“Hmm, you're right. Kumo is a good name.” Anya then said. She then kneeled before the spider.

 

“From today on. Your name will be Kumo.”

 

The spider, no, it's Kumo now, felt a warm sensation all over her body. Even her pain was gone. She then heard Anastasia and Kuro rushing towards Anya.

 

“What happened?” Kuro asked Anya, who was breathing heavily.

 

“It... tracked so much mana out of me.” Anya answered, still out of breath.

 

“It shouldn't be that much.” Anastasia said.

 

“I know... Did I mess up?” Anya was looking at Kumo now. What had she done?

 

That was the last thing Kumo heard. Before she finally fell into a deep slumber. However, this time not in pain but with a nice, warm feeling all over her body.

3