Chapter 18 – Kumo’s Story [3]
102 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kumos woke up to loud noises. The people from before, they were screaming. What is happening? She thought. Kumo felt strange. Her wound still hurt, but it wasnt so bad anymore. She almost felt like she could stand up now. But her body, it felt weird. There were no words to describe it. It was like power was flowing through her. Besides the pain, she felt a warm feeling. Even better than before. But instead of standing Kumo decided to hear what the humans were saying.

“What have you done?” Anastasia screamed.

“I don't know! I didn't expect something like that to happen!” Anya exclaimed loudly.

“I've never seen something like that.” Kuro said, he was rather calm.

“It's kind of... ewww... isn't it?” Anya said.

They looked at Kumo while she still had her eyes closed. They now knew that she was female, because... well, there were female attributes growing at her chest. Yes, she had a chest now. Her body looked deformed and was still changing. Not a beautiful sight so far.

“She looks like a human child with a spider lower body. There is even white hair growing on her head.”

However, the most confused was Kumo herself. What are they talking about? She inspected herself in her mind. Her body had changed, that was for sure. She is bigger now. But her upper body... It was changing as she was thinking about it. Growing like it wasn't supposed to be for a spider. However, she had no idea how she looked right now. And so she stayed silent.

“Maybe we should just kill her. She seems a lot stronger than before.” Kuro said.

“You're right. She is a lot stronger, probably even stronger than the salamander. But we won't kill her! She saved my life and if you want to blame someone, blame me.” Anya was angry.

“Is it a unique monster?” Kuro asked and looked at Anastasia, she was supposed to know the most about the forest creatures.

“To be honest, I don't know. I haven't even heard of spiders which can understand humans before. So it could be just her normal evolution. But it doesn't look like it in my opinion.” Anastasia looked at Anya. “The problem is that you're strong. Normally named monsters just grow a little, but they dont change to such an extent. But usually they aren't named by someone who is on your level. Because, well... They should know better. Maybe she is an unique monster.” Anastasia explained.

“What's a unique monster?” Anya asked.

Anastasia just sighed. “Have you ever read a book before? Unique monsters are a rare evolution which only happens every few hundred years under specific circumstances. There are many mysteries around them. Oni's are probably the most well known unique monsters as they sometimes interact with humans.”

Kuro and Anya loudly inhaled. Oni's were well known to everyone. If you see one, run. That's the rule. The monsters in the forest consider them as demigods. They are so strong that even a skilled adventurer team wouldn't stand a chance. “You are telling me she will become something like an Oni?”

“Dont worry too much. The strength of unique monsters is several times higher than the strength they had before. But the spider was definitely way weaker than an ogre. I doubt that we would lose to her. Also, she is still young. So what do we do?” Anastasia then asked.

“We will definitely not kill her.” Anya demanded. “Also we can’t take her with us. I don't want to even imagine what the guild would do to her.”

“And what they will do to you. If you're lucky they just kick you out of the guild. Even naming a normal monster is a crime.” Kuro finished Anya's speech.

“So, two options. We will kill her or we will just let her go.” Anastasia said.

“One option. We will let her go.” Anya decided.

“Well, not the smartest decision but it's your choice. But believe me, if we ever get in trouble because of this, we will blame you for everything!” Anastasia said angrily.

Anya just ignored her. They were in a group for years now and went through a lot together. Anastasia is angry now but she will calm down. Anya was sure about that.

“When will she wake up?” Kuro asked.

“Oh, she is already awake for a while now.” Anastasia said carelessly.

“What? Why haven't you said anything?” Kuro was staring at Kumo.

“Because I wanted to see how she reacts. Since she is still pretending to be asleep I doubt she will attack us.” Anastasia summarized. Now all of them were looking at Kumo. Waiting for something to happen.

And so, Kumo opened her eyes looking back at the three humans in front of her.

“Will you attack us?” Anya was the first to speak. She thought it's the best approach to just start with the most important question. They knew that Kumo is intelligent. So she was also able to lie but Anya wanted to convince her comrades that she isn't dangerous. So a word, or in her case, a gesture, that showed them that she wasn't dangerous would be a good beginning.

Kumo immediately shook her head. Her head. It felt weird, nothing like before. Something was growing on her. She had heard the conversation before, they said that her upper body looked almost human. It wasn't a feeling Kumo could describe. However, it didn't feel unfamiliar. Like she was able to fully control it without having to learn everything again.

“So, Kumo.” Anastasia leaned towards her. She wasn't fully convinced yet that Kumo isn't dangerous so she kept some distance. Remembering back her training, all adventurers were told that a cornered beast would act unpredictable. Kumo might be intelligent. But she was also a monster. Anastasia also knew that humans weren't very different in that aspect. “We gave you a name. Do you know what that means?”

Kumo felt the difference. Not only her body changed. It was like her soul changed. She was feeling more intelligent and somehow more aware of herself. But did she really understand what happened and is still happening to her? Not at all. So she shook her head again.

“Naming a monster makes them evolve, they get stronger and it's forbidden for humans. That's the shortest explanation we can give you right now. To be honest, how and why it works like that. We have no idea. I could explain you something about the most common theories, like a name somehow empowers the soul of monsters. But... it's just theory and it seems like you are already distracted.... tz.” Anastasia stopped suddenly.

Because Kumo stood up and investigated her body. Somehow forgetting the people around her. Her lower body was still the same. It was bigger. But currently nothing that worried Kumo too much. That was because of her upper body. It had a human shaped like form. Also, she didn't have eight legs anymore. There were only six left. And on her upper body, there was something that looked like human arms. They were still small. Her entire upper body was still small. But she felt that it was growing. Slowly, she got used to her arms. Touching herself everywhere. Kumo never had any hands on her. Her legs were for walking and spiders just couldn't touch themselves. It was given by nature so spiders never questioned it.

Anastasia, Anya and Kuro were just looking at her. They already knew that this was a sight they will never see again. Usually, Anastasia was the only one in the gang who was interested in different monster species. But now all of them didn't want to miss it. The spider touched her face and tried to form words. Is she going to speak? But the human group could already see that this wasn't possible, as her lips and mouth wasn't shaped yet. Maybe tomorrow. The change to a human upper body was inevitable. No one would believe them if they told it the story. However, if they told someone that they evolved a spider to an unique monster, they would have bigger problem than being called a liar.

And then, Kumo did something she shouldn't have done. She touched her still wounded stomach. A pain rushed through her body which made her forget everything else. She let out a shrilling cry. It was like a screech of a spider and a scream of a human combined coming out from her lipless, not fully formed, mouth. Taken by surprise, the humans jumped back from the terrifying cry. Almost instinctively in their battle position. It took them a few seconds but then they calmed down again.

“Anastasia, give her more of the salve.” Anya said and Anastasia nodded. She still didn't fully trust the spider but she felt bad for her, as she was once again reminded that the reason for her pains were them. The salve was expensive but that's something that they couldn't let happen.

Anastasia then slowly approached Kumo who had tears in her eyes. “That's a salve, it helps against the pain and makes your wound heal faster. But first, I will cast a spell on you. Its a weak paralyze spell. Your body will feel numb, but it's also helpful against pain.” It took Kumo a few seconds until what she just heard, reached her brain and made sense for her. But first, she looked down at her. There weren't any bandages anymore so she was able to see what her body looked like. Actually, she didn't know what a human body is supposed to look like without clothing but she knew one thing for sure... not like that. The acid must have almost reached her inner organs. She was lucky to survive, but there will be a big scar left. Should she wear clothes?

Anastasia was now right in front of her. Her hands moved towards Kumos stomach and she scared a step away. “Don't worry, I'll use a spell and it should be better.” Anastasia said calmly. Anastasia's hands were right before Kumos stomach but she didn't touch it. Instead, she mumbled something. A spell. Not suitable for battle, but very useful as a painkiller. It didn't directly heal the wound but made the treatment easier.

After a few seconds, the pain suddenly vanished and Anastasia stepped back. “Can you still move?”

Kumo tried to stand up. Everything felt numb and her legs were shaking a little but she could stand.

“Tz, that should have knocked you out but you can still stand...” Anastasia looked at Anya. “I guess you really created a unique monster.” She didn't have any ill intentions here. Just a little offended because Kumo was still able to stand.

“What do you mean?” Anya asked. Confused by the sudden change in her comrades' mood.

“I used my strongest paralyze spell on her. Even you wouldn't be able to stand after this.” Anastasia explained.

At that moment, Kumos legs gave up. It almost looked like she did it on purpose, but that wasn't the case. The numbness in her body made her lose the control over her legs. And so, she was lying there again. Unable to move, but this time, fortunately, without pain.

A small but satisfied smile appeared on Anastasia's lips. “I'll put the salve on your stomach now. I won't lie to you, you are paralzyed and it shouldn't be that bad but it will hurt.”

“I'll do it.” Anya interrupted. “She saved my life and I still owe her something.”

She took the salve and started putting it gently on the wound. It hurt but was bearable for Kumo. She now understood why Anastasia chose the strongest paralyze spell. If it was weaker, she would undoubtedly be in more pain.

And after a minute, Anya was done. She then bandaged her stomach again. “Done!” She happily exclaimed.

“But what do we do with you now?” Kuro asked.

“Hmm, no matter what. We have to leave before it's dark. We spent way too much time here. And in the worst care, the guild sends another group. If they see us like this... Well. We would be in trouble.” Anastasia said. They all knew she was right. Anya looked a little sad because they had to leave but they didn't have a choice. Not only for their sake, but also Kumos sake.

“Let's wait until the paralyze effect is gone and then we have to go.” Anya said. “Can you go on your own?”

The feeling in Kumos legs was already returning and she was pretty confident that she could walk again soon. So she nodded.

“Are you hungry?” Anastasia asked.

Kumo didn't have to answer, as her stomach took over and made a grumbling sound.

But, wait. Can she even eat? How does this even work with her head? Well, she had to try it. As her hands were on her lips again, now even more grown than only half an hour before she realized that all of them were looking at her, with a big grin. They obviously realized what Kumo was worried about.

Two hours and a huge mess later, she finally learned to eat again. If it wasn't about all the food the three had brought with them, it would have taken her a lot longer.

Before they finally made their goodbye, Kuro became serious.

“Kumo, you are an unique monster now. You're stronger. But you still have to be careful. Humans hunt unique monsters. They are worth a lot of money. Even without the money, they would just take your head as a trophy. I don't know how the monster in the forest will act, that's yours to find out. But avoid humans. They wont be nice to you, like we are. And if they dont corner you, you should run. Even when you are able to defeat them. You know, humans have this trait, monsters don't have. The adventurer guild especially. If you kill one of them, they send three, if you kill three of them, they send ten and if you kill ten of them, they send everyone. For us adventurers, it's a good feeling. We feel more save. But for you, its bad. Obviously. So please avoid them.”

All of them had a serious expression after what Kuro said. Because they knew, he was right. For a minute there was silence and they were just looking at the last sparks of fire they were sitting around.

“Well...” Then they stood up. “Kumo. It was nice to meet you. Maybe we will see each other again. If you train a little you should learn how to speak soon. So let's have a chat then!”

Kumo nodded and the corners of her lips switched slightly. Her first smile.

“Goodbye, Kumo. Take care!” They said as they walked away.

“Bye.” whispered Kumo.

4