Chapter 21 – A Path of Blue Light
100 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning came. No, it wasn't even morning anymore because the sun stood already at its highest as Nemu and Trewy woke up. The day and the night before, they were long. Beginning with a march through the forest, a ride in a thread cocoon, a long talk with a spider and making the said spider very happy again. They experienced a lot after they left the road for such a short time. And they felt like it was already worth it. So what would the next day bring? First, they planned to stay with the spider tribe. Learn some new things, talk with Kumo and walk through her web. Yes, that would be the plan for today! Nemu decided.

As they finally left their tent, Kumo was already patiently waiting outside. She looked good. With a smile on her face. Her threads now only cover her chest instead of her entire upper body. And Kumo wasn't alone. There were hundreds of small spiders around them. Curiously looking at them. There weren't many of them here yesterday, so Nemu guessed correctly that Kumo told them to stay inside. But now that she trusted them, they came outside. Kumo mentioned yesterday that there were only about 200 spiders in her old web. Even only in this place, there were more. Unknown to them, how many of them are in the forest. Probably a lot more. Seems like her web is way bigger than her old web.

As they were greeting each other. Two more spiders approached them. They were a bit bigger than Nemu but still small compared to the spiders they had seen yesterday when they first entered the forest. Nemu and Trewy were confused as they came closer and closer... until. They touched Nemu and Trewy. Followed by Kumos' laugh. “Don't mind them. They are my favorite little spiders and are just curious about you. Most of the smaller spiders in the heart of my web haven't seen anyone from outside the web.” Nemu didn't mind. He was used to this from his time in Tempest. However, Trewy was never in such a situation. She blushed and didn't really know how to react as the two small spiders were looking at her with 8 curious eyes.

Until Kumo finally stopped them. She didn't say it with words, but the two spiders turned around and walked away. Nemu could have sworn that they looked a little sad. “They remind me of me sometimes when I was younger.” Kumo said while they were walking away. She smiled but lost the smile again as she realized what the consequences were. After all, old wounds don't heal fast. A potion wouldn't be enough for that.

Like they had first planned, they wanted to visit the cave first. However, Trewy wasn't so sure about that anymore. In fact, she was never underground. So it took Nemu some time to convince her, and in the end, she didn't regret it. It took Kumo 70 years to build this place. Nemu expected a labyrinth of tunnels like he was used to in the caves he already was. But the place was massive. Only the underground area would have been enough place for the entirety of Tempest. Kumo even built small rooms. The reason for that? She didn't know. Maybe it was her way to fight loneliness. The main cave and every tunnel coming from it, was bathed in blue light. They saw this the night before, but underground, in what should be entirely dark, it was even more impressive. In the middle of the massive cave were dozens of eggs. According to Kumo they needed 6 month before the spiders were born. So they were lucky to see one of them. Nemu would have never imagined that spiders could be cute, but as one of them popped out of an egg. He decided that young spiders are cute.

 

Kumo promised them that if they ever return, there will be a room prepared for Trewy and Nemu. They weren't even 24 hours in Kumos web, and their opinion about spiders turned from dangerous to nice. Once again, a prove, that nobody should be judged by their appearance.

Later that day, after the tour ended, they talked about the map Nemu had always with him. Kumo was also very interested, because, well, she had absolutely no idea what happened to the forest in the last few decades. Kumo's web was massive. Almost the entire part of the forest that was avoided by most of the intelligent races was part of her web. Nemu and Trewy actually underestimated it. Even half an hour before they got trapped in the threads, they were already in the area that was controlled by the spiders without even realizing it. Kumo told them that she was watching them. Deciding what she should do with the unexpected visitors. In the end, they were probably lucky that they were interesting for Kumo. After all, you don't see a Dryad and a Slime very often. Kumo also told them that a dryad is the perfect companion. Slimes were considered harmless. But nobody would dare to attack a dryad in the Great Jura Forest. Trewy truly was the perfect companion and Nemu was very happy to have her on his side. Did Rimuru plan all of this?

And so, after a few hours. They finally decided to leave. But there was one more thing to do.

“Where do you want to go next?” Kumo asked.

“Oh, there is this mysterious island that wasn’t discovered yet. Actually, we planned to make this our first destination. But well, we have met you first!” Nemu said.

“So I was your first adventure.” Kumo giggled.

“Yes! A great start for our journey!” Nemu happily exclaimed.

“I hope we will meet many more undiscovered races on our journey.” Trewy said and was looking around. It was still busy outside with many spiders. The two spiders from before, they were silently following them.

“Will you go to Tempest?” Nemu had this question in his mind for a while now. Actually, since yesterday. He was sure that Kumo would like it in Tempest. But considering her past, he would understand if she dont want to go there yet.

“I... don't know yet.” Kumo looked up in the air with a thoughtful face. “I can't decide that yet. I finally have my legs back and even my scar is almost gone. But still...” She never finished the sentence. Probably unable to do so.

“Okay, but if you ever decide to go there, I have something else for you.” Nemu wasn't going to pressure her. After all, it's her choice and he knew that.

“Another gift?” She asked and looked at Nemu.

“Well, you could say that. Rimuru told me this. If I ever meet a race that doesn't look friendly at first, I should give them something. As proof that you aren't dangerous. There weren't any known friendly spiders before, but if you show it to someone, they know that you won't do any harm.” Nemu explained and took something from his dimensional space.

"What's that?” Kumo couldn't identify it at first.

However, Trewy laughed out loud.

“I told you that the leader of Tempest is a slime, right? And the people there... They have this habit to make everything in a slime form if it's possible.” Nemu was slightly embarrassed.

In front of them was a small slime in rainbow colors. Forged out of magisteel and without a single inconsistency.

Now, finally, Kumo also recognized it and started laughing with Trewy. “Tempest truly is a strange place, isn't it?”

“Yes, but I'm pretty sure Rimuru wouldn't have wanted it that way!” They actually talked about this before and both agreed that this obsession with slimes in Tempest was a little strange! “However, if you carry this nobody will attack or even stop you.”

“Hmm, I get your point. That's pretty smart.” Kumo now said, as she understood what it meant for her.

“It is. And if you show it to someone in Tempest, they will bring you to Rimuru. It's like an invitation in, well, slime form!” Nemu giggled.

Trewy was watching from the side. And the slime invitation, she thought it was kind of cute. She wanted one for herself! Maybe she should ask Nemu later. Yep, she will definitely do that, she decided.

“So, you want to go now right? I don't want to stop you any longer.” Kumo said. She had a sad look on her face. The time for her... It was something she had missed without even noticing it. Her web was her home for a long time and she didn't regret it. But now, maybe, just maybe, she wanted to see the world again.

Nemu and Trewy noticed her look. They had to go, but they both hoped that they would see each other in Tempest again.

And so, after what felt way longer than just a day, they decided to leave.

As they left, even the two small spiders, did something that looked like waving?

On their way through the dark forest, a path of blue light was shining, showing them the way. Without a doubt, Kumos work.

3