Chapter 26 – Imprisonment [2]
71 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the harpies finally finished their meal they let out a satisfied sigh. Nemu could have never imagined how much only three young harpies can eat. Now Nemu wonders if they eat chicken. Something is definitely wrong with him, he decided. They really were close to starving. And now with a full stomach, only able to move slowly as they sat on the stone wall again. There was only one thing that they needed now. A bed. Those days in this cell must have taken a lot from them. Harpies were supposed to fly in the sky and not be imprisoned in an underground cell, but well, you could say that about everyone. Nobody deserves to be imprisoned in such a place. Nemu and Trewy looked at them with a satisfied smile, happy to see them relieved.

There were still iron bars between them. However, Nemu was a slime. He didnt know if the demons are just dumb or were very distracted because he would be able to leave the cells as he wanted to. But he decided to stay in his cell with Trewy for now. Rimuru promised them to send someone and they shouldn't start any trouble until then.

Nemu was thinking about who would come to save them. Maybe Veldora? But he would, without a doubt, turn this place into dust. Also, he had to protect Tempest. Or would Rimuru come himself? Unlikely, because he already said that he would send someone. He probably had some serious business right now. But there is no spoilers for anime only in the synopsis. However, Nemu was sure about that he would send someone reliable. They just had to wait. Only if that Greym... Clayman guy returns, they would be in trouble again. Or so they thought.

There was something else that annoyed Nemu from the beginning. Slimes were slow. And he could have many more adventurers if he would be faster. Whoever was on their way, they would be much faster. However, Nemu changed his opinion after they met Kumo. They would have never found her if they just rushed to this place. The way is the goal and no shortcuts, he decided. That's the real adventurer's life!

The harpies were still quiet. Nemu and Trewy didn't want to pressure them so they waited. Although they really wanted to know how they ended up here. Someone must have brought them here because the harpy mountains are far away. Maybe as hostages? Nemu concluded. And what is this demon castle anyways, why is it hidden and well protected. Nemu still didn’t understand what was happening here, but he will find that out. After all, that's why he is here in the first place.

It was then that Nemu remembered something! He got a new skill earlier! Extra Skill: Detective, was it?

'Guide! Tell me everything!' Nemu asked Guide about his skills before and fortunately, Guide could answer all his questions. He was really glad to have the skill.

[{Extra Skill: Detective} works as a passive Skill. It gives you the ability to reach conclusions based on hints faster. However, if you activate it, you can see footprints and marks left by lifeforms in a certain period of time.] Guide explained, in his usual, monotone voice.

'Woa! That's so cool! Wait, wait... Let's try it out first.' Nemu thought.

 

“Activate Detective!” He said out loud, earning a weird and confused look by Trewy and the harpies, but he ignored it because what he saw really surprised him. In an orange shining light there were footprints everywhere in the cell. But not only there, he could also see the footprints of the demon from earlier and Trewy outside of the cell. Even the door handle was marked in orange light. However, he could also see round marks of his slimy body on the ground. They were shining in a green light.

'Cool!' Nemu thought happily. 'From now on I'm Detective Nemu!'

“What was that about?” Trewy asked curiously.

“Oh, I got a new skill!” Nemu said excitedly.

“You don't have to speak it loud out, you know that, right?”

“I know. But it's cooler isn't it?” Also, the people in Veladoras manga always did the same, but he kept that to himself. Talking about mangas, he had the urge to read the manga of the orange haired ninja Veldora gave him. But sadly, it wasn't the right timing. Nemu needed a vacation...

“Right.” Came the sarcastic response after Trewy let out a sigh.

“So...” It was finally time to talk to them, Nemu decided. “How did you end up here?” He asked the harpies.

First, the harpies looked at each other before they nodded. The harpy who talked before stood up on her bird-like legs and started to explain.

“Before we harpies get our name, it is a ritual that we fly over the mountains in our territory. We usually don't do that alone. That's why we start our journey in a group of three or more harpies. Because it is safer. Also, we can't have other harpies with names with us. That is part of the ritual. About 2 weeks ago, we started our journey. I'm not so sure about that, there are no windows here and I don't know how long we've been here. Well, we took off and when we got to the farthest of the mountains, the farthest from our home, there were three demons with wings. They were waiting for us. I don't know why or how they knew we were there. But they said that they had been waiting for a long time. Actually, it is not a problem for harpies to escape from demons. We are really fast. And before we start our journey we are usually safe because there are always other Harpies with us. They knew about it and planned it somehow. They even had cages with them and locked us in there! And then they brought us to this island. We were desperate and didn't know what to do," she ground out through her clenched teeth, tears welling up from the corners of her eyes, but she didn't stop talking. "There was nothing we could do but wait. They didn't say anything after they caught us either. For a whole day we sat in the cages before coming to this castle.... When we arrived in the hall, that demon, Corsar, was already waiting for us. He laughed all the time and made jokes about us. I hate him. Right after that, they took us to these cells. Before you came, there was always a demon here. "Aha, Nemu thought to himself, so he guessed it's really up to us, Guide saved them once again, without mentioning Milim they would probably still have an overseer. "We kept asking for food, or at least some water, but the demon just told us not to make a fuss. He wanted to beat us, but apparently got orders not to do it that way. So we couldn't do anything, just wait. And that was it, actually, since then we sat in this cell. We often asked when someone would come. Or why we are here at all. But we never got an answer. The demon said they were waiting for their master. That's all the information we got." ‘Probably that Clayman guy’, Nemu thought.

The other two harpies just cried. It must have been really traumatizing to spend so long in that cell without knowing the reason.

"But soon our queen Frey-sama will come! I am sure of it! She will get us out of here!”

Nemu didn't know the name Frey yet, but knew that Harpies had a queen. However, Nemu finally understood why this island was hidden. It was optimistic to think they would be rescued. A castle, hidden with illusion magic, in the middle of the Great Jura Forest... Nemu didn't know how fast harpies were, but even if they made it this far, they probably wouldn't be able to see through the illusion. Even Nemu's magical senses didn't know what it was until he stood in front of it.

"You don't have to worry anymore. Someone will come soon and get us out of here." He wasn't sure at first if he should say it, they wouldn't say anything even if the demons came back, but that too just not intentionally. However, he wanted to reassure them somehow. They've been through enough. The three young harpies stared at him. Even Trewy looked at him confused.

Nemu now understood that he should tell them the whole truth. "I have called someone who can help us for sure. And he told us not to worry." He said in a soothing voice. But, obviously, that was not enough for them as an explanation. Nemu actually wanted to tell them about Rimuru, the other demons in the castle knew nothing about him. But if this clayman comes back soon and he knows about Rimuru, it could be problematic. However, he has already said his name in the hall.... Nemu was slightly overwhelmed. In the end, he told them to wait and see. Nemu looked at Trewy and she nodded. She understood what Nemu meant. She still had a worried face as she looked at the harpies, but it also looked like she had a few less worries now. They will get out of here.

At first she had planned to break out. If they had made it out of the castle without being seen by the demons, but then they would still be trapped on the island. And they couldn't have brought the harpies with them either.

When the mood improved a bit, Nemu started asking questions. For two reasons. First, he wanted to calm the harpies by distracting them. Second, he just wanted to know more about Harpies. They lived in seclusion and since the mountains could not be reached on foot, he did not think he would be able to visit their home. Actually, it was impossible for him with his current abilities. He needed more skills. In the throne room and on the river, he realized it. He was too weak and in the future he could not always rely on Rimuru. Rimuru told him he would always help him when he needed help, but Nemu had to manage on his own. So he added another point to his list. Become stronger. Maybe he should talk to the Oni grandpa again. A slime couldn't fight with the sword, but he could learn from him how to defend himself against it. Nemu sighed in frustration, but he also knew that he needed to do it.

Fortunately, the harpies really liked to talk about their race and home. They were very proud of it. They are from the Harpy Kingdom Fulbrosia, a country located on top of a mountain on the border to the Great Forest of Jura and is always ruled by a queen. Harpies are a race that greatly values flight and height, hence they built their capital on the tallest mountain available. Besides having barely contact with other races, they sometimes trade mineral resources, including metals and jewels with merchants brave enough to climb the mountain. There are about 1000 harpies. Most of them live in the capital Jia, the only big city of harpies. Only a very few harpies lived in other countries. But in the mountains there are also several villages. That's where the harpies in the cell came from. They were really happy to finally start their journey, because at the end of it, they get a name by the Sky Queen herself. How they spoke of her reminded Nemu of how the people of Tempest spoke of Rimuru. They had a lot of respect for her.

After two hours, they suddenly stopped talking. Someone was coming. There were slow but hard steps on the ground.

Even before he entered the prison, Nemu already knew who was coming.

“Corsar.” Nemu whispered.

4