Chapter 24 – Entering the Castle
92 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Time passed. They were in silent agreement that they wouldn't move for a while. Talking was also forbidden. That was close. Too close. Go on an island that is protected by large tentacle monsters? Who would even think about such a horrible idea. They should be more careful from now on. Another silent agreement. But... they survived. And they wouldn't just lie here all day. Or could they?

“Please no more surprises today.” Trewy said after she let out a long breath. However, they both knew that, whatever brought this monsters here, was maybe still here. And without a doubt, it would be even more dangerous.

So they had no choice, but to move. Trewy had trembling knees as she stood up. Nemu remembered back that she screamed when they were catapulted in the air. “Are you okay?”

“Just a little.. dizzy.” She said. There was a small line of blood coming from under her green hair.

“You are hurt...” Nemu said and Trewy nodded. “Let's take a break here. We have time.” And Trewy immediately felt on her butt again. Seems like she overestimated herself. However, Dryads had great self healing abilities. So if it isn't a grave injury it should heal soon. Nemu was aware of that. So he decided to look around.

The water was calm again. He didn't really know how much time passed since they arrived here, but it was enough to make it look like nothing happened. If it wasn't about their raft. The sail was still floating on the water. And the tentacle monsters didn't show any interest in it. So the monsters didn't just attack on sight? That would explain why they attacked them even with the water spirit that should make them invisible. They somehow were able to perceive other lifeforms. And that led to the next problem. How should they leave the island? They were lucky and the water stream wouldn't bring them over the entire river. Besides that, Nemu got new skills! {Common Skill: Hydraulic Propulsion} and {Common Skill: Hardening}. He got the Hardening skill when he crashed on the stone wall and the Hydraulic Propulsion Skill by shooting himself and Trewy over the river. That should be very helpful in the future. So they had no choice but to find something here.

And now, for the first time, Nemu changed his attention to the island. From afar it looked like there was nothing. But since they arrived, Nemu could feel something that he hadn't felt before. Like a tickling in his mind. There was something but he couldn't sense it. Confused, he looked back to Trewy. “There is something on the island, but I can't say what it is.” He said and immediately after that... “Someone is coming. No, there are actually two people.” And they were moving fast.

Only after a minute there were two figures in front of them. They looked like Demons he had seen in books before. With grey skin, scary looking fangs and two wings on their back. However, he clearly felt their aura. He had met a demon before. Diablo. And he couldn't feel anything. So for him, there were two options. First, he can’t feel the presence of demons as a slime, because they used some kind of different aura. Second, Diablo's control over his aura was outstanding. Even equal to Rimuru. The only two persons he couldn't feel anything from. Until now, he thought the first option was more likely, but now there are two demon-like figures in front of him, obviously emitting a rather dark aura.

 

'Are they demons?' Before any more wild guesses he just asked Guide.

[Yes.] Guide confirmed.

'Well, that settles it, it seems like option two it was. That Diablo guy is really scary', Nemu once again thought and felt a light shiver running down his non existing spine. 'But he is Rimurus friend, so everything should be alright.'

However, the demons who suddenly appeared had a very scary look. But, like Nemu decided before multiple times. No prejudice. Maybe they are nice people. What Nemu confused him the most was that there was actually someone on the island. The island was protected by these scary monsters, maybe they put them there? But they seemed way to weak for that. So is there boss also on the island? He immediately knew that they won't have a problem with the monsters. Simply because they had wings and could just fly here. Oh! They could bring them back later!

The demons were looking at them with weird faces. It was hard to interpret their mimic but they looked like they had seen something confusing. Kumo already said that they are a weird fellowship, so he didnt think about it too much. Nemu should just get used to it.

“I'm N...” Nemu wanted to introduce himself but got suddenly interrupted.

“I'm Trewy.” Trewy looked at Nemu and shook her head. Nemu was confused at first, but then, he understood. He shouldn't tell them that he had a name. Did Trewy know something about them?

The demons looked at each other and started to laugh. “A red slime? And he even can talk? What were you going to say, little slime?”

“I'm... a red slime.” He said, Trewy was still staring at him but now nodded in approval.

And again, the demons started laughing. “We can see that!”

“What should we do with them?” The other demon asked. Now with a serious expression looking at Trewy. “Our orders are to kill anyone who comes to the island... But it's a dryad. That could cause a lot of trouble. Also, she seems to be hurt.” There was still dried blood in Trewys face. The wound was probably already healed, but she still didn't look healthy and had a pale face. The tentacle monster must have hit her pretty hard.

“How did you even get here?” The demon talked to Trewy now, completely ignoring Nemu after their first amusement. They didn't seem to take him serious.

“I...” Trewy was thinking. Demons in the forest were bad news. They weren’t part of the forest and considering their protected island, they were up to no good. That they ignored Nemu was a good thing. So she decided to lie. Well, it was only a half lie. “Used my water spirit. But these, monsters, they attacked us right before we reached the island. We had to swim the last few meters.”

“Worthless monsters!” The demon spit it out. “Weren't they supposed to attack anything on the water...”

Now, they finally had their confirmation. They placed the monsters there on purpose and they were actually up to no good. Nemu was impressed. Trewy was smart and reacted really fast. But what are they doing here and why are they protecting the island? There isn't supposed to be anything here. Just stones and a few trees. And what was it that Nemu felt before? Besides being in a bad situation, Nemus' adventurer spirit came back. Again. Completely ignoring the fact that they were actually in danger right now. A mysterious island, protected by dangerous monsters and demons on it? Cool!

“Let's bring them in first, I don't care about the slime but we can't just mess with the Dryads. We have to stay low for a while until He returns. Let him decide. Or maybe Corsar has an idea for them.” One of the demons said and the other demon nodded. What do you do if your decision can bring you in trouble? Exactly. Pass on the responsibility to someone else.

'He?' Nemu thought. So the boss is currently not here. Maybe that could turn it in their favor. But it also seems like there is a named demon here. There was another reason for Nemus' calmness. The demons. They were weak. Even if they wanted to, they wouldn't cause any trouble for them. However, there is a stronger demon on the island and he even has a name. Now Nemu was slightly irritated.

And then... One of the demons kicked Nemu as they ordered him to follow the stony path. Unfortunately for the demon, Nemu didn't like to get kicked. So he used his Hardening Skill before he got hit.

“Ouch!” The demon cursed. “Has he eaten stones before?” He had the urge to kick him again, but learned his lesson as Nemu didn't move a single bit by the kick.

“What's wrong?” The other demon asked.

“The smile is hard like a rock...” He cursed again.

“Maybe it's a Skill all red slimes have?” The demon raised his brow but shook his head. “Doesn't matter. Let's go.”

'Should I just... attack them?' Nemu thought. His Hardening Skill restricts his movements and makes him slower. But he was still faster than the demons and would be able to knock them out easily. But he decided not to. They were trapped on the island and if the demon with the name suddenly appears they could get in trouble. He looked at Trewy, she was trotting on his side. And she was looking at him with panicking eyes and shaking her head. So she knew what Nemu was just thinking about. Good thing he decided not to do anything.

They followed the demons. One of them was walking behind, and one of them in front. Trewy still wasn't good on her legs. So they moved slowly. Nemu could see that the demon behind them was about to kick Trewy as she almost fell over but fortunately hold back. The demons, they weren't that surprised when they first saw Nemu. At first, he thought they wouldn't just care about a red slime. But now he assumed that the demons weren’t here for long. Maybe they didn't even know that red slimes were rare. 

Slime Nemu received Skill {Extra Skill: Detective}

‘What? Really?’ Nemu was dumbfounded. He will definitely check that later!

However, they immediately decided not to harm Trewy because they were aware of dryads. Nemu had no idea what would happen if they would have attacked Trewy. Judging by their behavior, they probably assumed that the dryads would attack them. So they were probably well known even outside of the forest.

There was this feeling Nemu had since they arrived on the island. And it became more and more dominant as they walked on the island. And now, he finally saw it. There was something like a magical barrier right in front of them. The demon didnt stop and walked right through it. Nemu wanted to stop and investigate it, but the other demon wouldn't let them stop. Maybe later, Nemu thought. And so they crossed the barrier.

Nemu immediately knew what the barrier was. It was illusion magic. And a very strong one as it was hiding... an entire castle. The castle looked demonic. On the ground it was the same size as Rimurus building in Tempest, but it was three times the height. It didn't look like there was an actual reason for the height, it looked like it was just big because it was supposed to look impressive. And it didn't fail at that. There were four large towers at all sides, decorated with dozens of demonic looking statues and stone spikes. The windows were all open, there was no glass in it. And without a doubt, the castle was old. The stone already looked grey, battered by many storms and there were several small cracks in it. Why do demon castles always have to look old? Are they already built like that or has anyone ever seen a brand-new one?

However, the old castle had a spooky atmosphere. Even the trees around the castle looked spooky without any leaves. Again, Nemu wanted to investigate it, but the demons didn't stop until they reached a large wooden front door. And, like in every proper demon castle, the door opened on his own with a crunching sound.

They entered a hall. There was no furniture, but there were two thrones on a pedestal. One of them was a little smaller, while the throne in the middle looked way too exaggerated. Either a giant lived here or it was the same as the building, only for the appearance. And then they finally stopped, on the smaller throne sat a figure. Both demons bowed to him. Nemu immediately noticed that his aura was on another level, his appearance more humanoid than their two demon guides. He must have been an evolved demon. But he still had small wings and a scary looking face with fangs that could probably destroy stones. Unfortunately, there were more demons in the room. Nemu counted five. But they weren't evolved and looked like they were standing on guard here. Not even moving their eyes, as the group entered the hall.

“What are you bringing me here? Haven't I told you that you kill everyone who arrives on the island?” The boss demon asked in a deep commanding voice.

“Corsar-sama, we found them at the coast. One... of them is a dryad and we didn't know what to do with her.” One of the demons answered, still kneeling and looking on the ground. 'They must have a lot of respect for him', Nemu thought. No. He then realized something. It wasn't respect but fear. Rimuru was respected by everyone as the leader of Tempest. And all of his subordinates were happy to serve him. However, the demons here were just afraid of Corsar. Nemu decided that he didn't like him.

“A dryad...?” Like the demons before, he completely ignored Nemu. Corsar raised his brow. “That's indeed troublesome.”

4