Chapter 54 – Unique Skill: Slime Pocket
38 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Absorption.”

 

The big blue slime instantly disappeared into Nemus' dimensional space. It left behind nothing but cold air. Nemu felt the body of the slime dissolve in his body. Probably the most uncomfortable feeling Nemu had ever felt. The big blue slime told him that he could not absorb the souls of the red slime and that they remained intact even after absorption. He was worried that the same thing would happen to him. But that did not happen. The soul of the blue slime was... gone.

Something else happened that he hadn't expected. Instead of the slime voice, he heard another voice. A voice that reminded him of Raphael, but it wasn't similar. He had heard it before whenever he acquired a skill.

[Absorbing Extra Skill: Absorption successful.]

[Error. Extra Skill: Absorption already in possession.]

[Fusing Extra Skill: Absorption and Extra Skill: Absorption.]

[Creating Unique Skill: Slime Pocket successful.]

[Absorbing Common Skill: Weaker Mind Control successful.]

No... that wasn't something Nemu wanted to have. He had seen what happened to the slimes. Leaving them behind as brainless vessels. Nemu didn't wanted something like that.

[Request accepted. Dissolve Common Skill: Weaker Mind Control successful.]

[Creating alternative for Common Skill: Weaker Mind Control.]

[Successful. Mental Attack Resistance acquired.]

Huh? Nemu was confused. He didn't know that was possible. But he was somehow reminded of the rabbit tribe. They told him that they don't have combat skills because they just don't desire them as much as other races. And skills are tied to the soul. So if someone acquires a skill they don't want in another way, can they acquire an alternative? He had never heard of this, but he had also never heard of someone turning down a new skill because it was incredibly valuable to every being on the planet.

Another question from Nemu was answered. Well, actually the last question that had troubled Nemu before. How could the blue slime have two skills? Now he knew he wasn't born with them. He had been born with the Absorption skill and had somehow managed to absorb another slime that had the Weaker Mind Control skill. And by combining them, he was able to.... build this farm. 

But... what is Slime Pocket?

Only then did he realize something. He was being stared at. Not only by Trewy, but also by the five red slimes in the large room. He completely forgot about the situation. Slime Pocket has time for later, after all, skills can't run away. Just like the blue slimes were doing right now. Each of them swarmed outside, leaving nothing in the room except Trewy, Nemu and the red slimes. This was surprising to Nemu.... at least. Blue slimes shouldn't be able to run away from anything, but it seems like they have enough awareness to understand that they were in trouble and that the place here is not a place they should stay. And that makes the actions of the big blue slimes even worse.

He shook his slime body. It was not the right time to think about everything. He probably will do that later. But first, everyone in the room seemed to be waiting for him to say something. But what should he say? Introductions are always a good start, right?

"Hello, I'm Nemu." He introduced himself. 

"..." All the red slimes looked at him, but they didn't answer.

"They..." It was Trewy who spoke. "They don't seem to be in their right mind."

Nemu finally understood. The mind control. He was under mind control for just a second, and he didn't want to have that feeling again. And those red slimes... They had been under mind control for months. All of them. No doubt they would need some time to recover from this. 

Nemu just sighed as he thought about how they must be feeling. Trewy was not under the mind control of the big blue slime, but even she understood that it must have been a terrible time for all of them. 

"What do we do now?" Trewy asked. They are still standing in the cave. But the red slimes hadn't responded yet. They couldn't just leave them here, but walking to Tempest with them was impossible. Not only could they transport them poorly, if someone attacked them, then the red slimes would be defenseless.

"I don't know. Maybe we should just wait and see?" Nemu suggested, but Trewy shook her head. She knew they would recover in a few days. But ... A few days in the cave? 

"We should get them out first. This is not a place where they should stay longer." Replied Trewy. It wasn't just because of the bad memories. She looked at the room again. Earlier, she was distracted by the big blue slime. The room looked ... sad. Only small crystals that shone in various colors on the dark and dirty walls that created a dim light. But that was it. There was nothing else. After the blue slimes had already left the cave the room seemed even darker than before.

Nemu had an idea that he actually wanted to avoid. 'Guide, can I transport them to my dimensional space?' The big blue slime told him beforehand that consciousness would remain intact there. If he can do the same, he should be able to get them out of the cave safely .... no, he could even transport them to Tempest without a second thought. He didn't like the idea. But it would solve a problem he would face again later. However, after absorbing the large blue slime, his soul immediately disappeared. He didn't know the reason, maybe his absorption ability was too strong? He had to ask Guide first.

 

[It is safe to transport the red slime in your dimensional space.] Guide said in his usual monotone voice.

‘But ... it didn't work on the blue slime? I did nothing but absorb him, and his soul disappeared.' Asked Nemu doubtfully.

[Not enough information.] So not even Guide knew the answer? Well, it didn't matter now anyway, maybe he'll find out in the future.

"I can use my absorption ability on them and carry them outside." Nemu explained. He didn't want to just absorb them without telling Trewy first. Oh, and of course he was already prepared for the Eww.... Besides, it's not absorption anymore, he reminded himself. Now it's called slime pocket. A skill that only slimes can use? That's very interesting. After they get out of the cave, Guide has to tell him everything in detail!  Mental Attack Resistance is self-explanatory. And it's pretty cool, if he's immune to mind control abilities now, he can avoid more trouble in the future.

"You want to absorb them?" Trewy asked, uncertainty clear on her face. She had seen what happened to the blue slime, and that he would now want to absorb the red slimes was unexpected....

"I asked Guide. He said it is safe and I can carry them in my dimensional space." Explained Nemu. Trewy knew about Guide, of course, so she should be satisfied with the explanation.

"So you want to eat them?" Trewy asked and smiled. At least one person in the room was in a better mood now. Nemu just rolled his eyes. Of course he didn't have eyes, but he simulated them and was pretty good at it by now. Just nodding still doesn't work.... 

Nemu turned away from her without answering the question and looked towards the red slime and began to explain. "I will absorb you now. But you don't have to worry. It's safe and I'll take you outside first." This time he got his first reaction. Although it was very small. Two of the red slimes backed away just an inch. Nemu was now relieved and worried at the same time. He had the assurance that the red slimes could still think. Previously, he had worried that they might have lost everything under mind control. 

But they did not move when Nemu stood right in front of them. Although it was bad to think like that, their mental state was actually helpful to Nemu now. If he had to convince them, it would have taken him much more time.

He jumped from one to the other and touched them gently before using his skill. And after a few seconds, they were all in his dimensional space. He ignored the quiet Eww of Trewy in the background every time he used his skill. 

After absorbing them, he understood what the big blue slime meant when he sensed their souls. It felt like there were five flames inside Nemu that burned very lightly. They flickered as if they would burn out at any moment. He was sure that these were the souls of the red slimes. And they were badly damaged. Two of them didn't look that bad, probably the two that had retreated earlier. But the other three... They didn't look like they were going to recover on their own. What... should he do now?

[Possible solution. Let your own mana flow into dimensional space. That might have a positive effect on the slime creatures]. Suggested Guide. Huh? Nemu was confused. Normally, Guide only answers when Nemu asks him directly. Is that what he just did? Anyways. If Guide says so, he will try. 

Absorbing his own mana in his dimensional space was no problem for Nemu. It felt natural. And after a while, he saw a difference. The souls were no longer flickering. They looked like they were calm now. They were even growing very slowly. But that would take some time. And that would also make the plan to let them outside irrelevant. He'll take them to Tempest in his dimensional space.

"Are you ready?" Trewy asked impatiently. She still wasn't used to Nemu playing with his skills. 

"Yes. Let's go outside." He said and sighed. He hadn't been in here long, but he missed the sun a lot. But when they went outside, they didn't talk and that gave Nemu a chance to find out a little more about his first unique skill!

‘Tell me about my new skill, Guide.’

[The unique skill Slime Pocket is an unknown evolution of the skill Absorption.] Well, that much was to be expected. Considering the name, it was most likely a racial skill, and the circumstances under which Nemu obtained it were.... something that probably didn't happen before to any other slime. 

[Slime pocket increases the capacity of your dimensional space by 10 times], Guide explained further. Wow! Nemu was shocked. He had expected the space to increase, but 10 times? He remembered how he had filled his entire space before leaving Tempest. And even then, he thought that was a lot. But now he has 10 times the space. That will solve a lot of problems in the future!

[Slime Pocket also creates a barrier around the body that absorbs harmful outside influences and renders them harmless. This includes harmful environmental influences, harmful substances that come into contact with the body, and enemy magic up to a certain level]. Now Nemu was speechless. An unique ability is really something else. Absorption was helpful, but having an ability that automatically protected him from harm without him having to do anything was incredibly helpful. The certain level worried him a little. He definitely shouldn't rely too much on his skill. But it should protect him from any weaker magical abilities. Probably even from extra skills, because slime pocket is a unique skill. This was phenomenal for him!

Nemu heaved a sigh of relief. Finally, he made a big step on his journey to become stronger!

Trewy understood the relieved sigh as joy that they had finally left the cave. The sun was still high in the sky and with no trees around them, she felt good. The adventure in the slime cave was definitely something she wouldn't do again, but once again they had solved a big problem. 

They both looked up at the blue sky. It wasn't much time, but they both missed it more than they had realized before. There were no more blue slimes on the clearing anymore. Even on the way out, they hadn't seen a single slime. They had all disappeared. Back into the forest. And the place known as the slime cave would no longer be a slime cave.

"So, what do we do now?" Trewy asked. They had talked about this before, but maybe Nemu had other plans. It wouldn't be the first time. But as she had expected and really hoped, he answered.

"Back to Tempest!"

2