Chapter Three – 第三章 | The Mysterious Traveler 神秘的旅行者
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The streets were filled with hawkers shouting hoarse while waving animatedly, trying to attract the attention of their next passing customer.

Touting their wares in makeshift stalls lining the streets on both ends, Trader's Square is truly a unique and chaotic auditory experience. But in Yin Qian's mind, all these background noises faded to a buzz as she shot down the cobbled paths with a determined look. Her long black tresses fluttered in the wind as she tore through the crowded streets in the middle of a profitable trading day. The sea of passerbys scrambled left and right to avoid her like the parting of the red sea. 

To her, there is only one task she’s set her mind on at the moment - to find the mysterious traveller that Master Hou spoke of. This could be the answer to who I am or where I come from! I must track him down no matter what. In this small town, there aren’t many tea houses or inns that visiting travellers could choose to stay at. In fact, most would end up at Si Yin Tea Inn as it’s the most eye-catching building in all of Bai He Town. That would be a good place to start. 

Located just a brief distance south of Trader’s Square, Si Yin Tea Inn is an ideal makeshift refuge for any travelling nomads looking for a short and efficient stay. With its close proximity to Trader’s Square, shuttling towards the market each morning for trading would prove to be convenient. 

Before long, an intimidating building came into sight over the horizon - towering over its neighbouring cinderblock housing as though David facing Goliath. Si Yin Tea Inn is a four storey tall building run by an elderly couple and their dashing young grandson. Word on the street was that the elderly couple lost their son and daughter-in-law 16 years ago during a tragic accident. They were traveling back from the capital on one of their annual trade journey when a godly beast crossed their paths in the woods. The 2-year old toddler, Chen Xiang, was the only survivor of that horrific and brutal attack back then and has come to live with his grandparents in Bai He Town ever since. Yin Qian got acquainted with Chen Xiang in the recent months that she's come to lived in Yu Lan Mountain due to the frequent trips she makes to Bai He. There really isn't anywhere she'd rather be on this mountain since that's the only form of human interaction she's allowed, what with the barrier preventing her from leaving. 

Chen Xiang was just clearing up the mess left behind by a leaving customer when he spotted Yin Qian's arrival from the corner of his eyes. His face broke into a smile as he called out to her, "Qian-er Jie!1Jie is a term of endearment meaning elder sister. What brings you here today?" Yin Qian stop short of clashing into Chen Xiang and his precariously stacked tower of ceramic bowls in his hands. "Chen Xiang! You're just the person I'm looking for. I have a favour to ask of you.." she exclaimed excitedly between sharp draws of breath. 

If there was anyone who dares claims to be the most connected person in this town, it would have to be Chen Xiang. Although young in age, he has an easy-going demeanour that makes everyone feel like a long-time friend in an instance. Most people forget to realise, innkeepers hear everything. As silently as they serve you, they gather enough details just during that short encounter. Yin Qian sat down hurriedly and within minutes, Chen Xiang pointed in the direction of the second floor seats by the balcony.

The lone traveling merchant sat at the far corners of the second floor, the last seat furthest from the stairs but yet boasts the best view of both inside the inn and out onto the crowded streets of Trader's Square. With a graceful sweep of his arm as he picked up his cup of steaming hot tea, his demeanour exudes an aura of cold and aloofness. It was as though something about him just screams for one to avoid him if possible. 

0