Chapter 20: An Adventure
447 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Feeling the suns rays on my face I opened my eyes.

Once I did so I headed to the bathroom to handle morning business and then get dressed for the day. Heading downstairs to have breakfast with the others after I did so.

As we sat at the table and ate I decided to continue the conversation from last nights meeting.

Our familias goal to level up.

"So, how should we go about leveling up?" I asked.

Since there a few ways we can do so. But the quickest way would be fighting powerful monsters in the dungeon, putting our lives on the line in such battles.

That would make our containers to overflow with execlia allowing us all to reach level 2.

Though as we are now I don't think any monsters on the first twelve floors will help us level up. So that's why I'm asking for suggestions.

"Should we head to the 13th floor and try fighting some monsters down there to level up?" Millhiore suggested.

She took the words right out of my mouth.

"I think that's a good idea." I said. "But what do the rest of you think?"

"That's fine. But we have to be extremely careful." Leonmitchelli said. "Our parents told me and Gaul something once. The middle floors aren't anything like the upper floors. One mistake and you'll be in hell before you can even blink." She told us.

Gaul nodding in agreement.

'There parents gave them some good advice.' I thought.

The difference between floor levels is no joke.

"I no issue going to the 13th floor." Ryuu said.

"Me neither." I said.

"So it looks like it's decided then." I said.

Everyone nodded.

Thirteenth floor, here we come.

Our discussion closed we all finished breakfast, and then went to gear up for the dungeon.

As soon as everyone was ready we left, bidding Athena farewell.

We then started moving quickly towards Babel Tower, hoping to get into the dungeon, level up, and get out quickly.

Generally two of us are always with Athena at any given time, with all the shit going on in Orario currently.

But since we are all trying to level up today we're going to the dungeon in full force. Meaning until we return Athena is unprotected.

That's why we are moving our asses.

Arriving at Babel Tower in just under 20 minutes we moved and entered into the dungeon. Easily descending to the 9th floor after we did so.

Our group moved with purpose.

But as we did so we suddenly came to a stop when we saw several adventurers running towards us. Fear clear on their faces.

One of them even has his left arm ripped from its socket.

Not a pretty sight.

But after being an adventurer for a year and a half seeing shit like this doesn't really bother me at all. Same for everyone else.

I don't know if that's good or bad but whatever.

"Agh!"

"Run, it's coming!"

Several adventurers ran passed us.

As they did so Leonmitchelli used her sword and blocked ones path. "What's going on?" She asked the adventurer.

"An Infant Dragon has spawned on floor 12!" The adventurer quickly told us.

Once he did so Leonmitchelli moved her sword from out of his path and he got back to running away.

As he did so I put a grin on my face.

Looks like today is our lucky day.

"Guys, let's go and take down that infant dragon. Doing so will let us level up for sure." I said.

Since an Infant Dragons powers are considered to be level 2 and they are considered the floor bosses of the upper levels. They are also rare monsters that hardly ever spawn.

Thus this in an opportunity we cannot pass up.

"Took the words right out of my mouth Morax." Leonmitchelli said.

"Let's do it." Gaul said.

"Yes, let us vanquish the dragon." Ryuu said.

"Right behind you." Millhiore said.

"The same." Ryner added.

I nodded.

Then the others and I started running towards level 12, ignoring the other adventurers that were fleeing.

Since that is where our adventure is.

--------------------------

Arriving at level 12 we moved through the misty plains, looking for our target.

But we didn't have to look that far.

Since five minutes after we arrived we found our prey.

Standing in the middle of one of the plains we laid eyes upon the Infant Dragon. It's claws covered in blood, and something hanging out of its mouth.

Upon closer inspection I saw it was a dead elf adventurer.

*Crunch Crunch*

Hearing a crunching sound and seeing the Infant Dragons mouth moving I knew it was eating the dead elf adventurer.

The dragon quickly gobbled up the rest of his body, blood dripping from its mouth after it did so. The crunching sound still permeating the air.

*Guh!*

Millhiore threw up, and I don't blame her.

Since that is some nasty shit.

I know I was being adventurers had made us get used to death and gore quickly, but this...yeah we aren't souless monsters or anything.

So I might not sleep so soundly tonight.

"Disgusting." Gaul said.

"I second that." I said.

"Milli, are you ok?" Ryuu asked Millhiore. Going up to her and placing a hand on her back.

Millhiore gave a thumbs up. Standing back up to her feet a moment later. "I'm good."

"Great then let's get down to business and take this thing down." Leonmitchelli said. Drawing the axe from her back.

Then as if sensing our intention to kill it the Infant Dragon slowly but surely turned its gaze upon our group. It's eyes saying clearly, "Come and kill me if you can.".

I am certain.

"Alright then." I said. "Let's go."

"Yeah!" Everyone shouted.

As soon as they did so the Infant Dragon let out a battle cry of its own, signaling the start of the battle.

One which we will not lose.

------------------------

(3rd Person: POV)

As soon as the Infant Dragon released a roar the members of the Athena familia took their battle positions.

On the front line Leonmitchelli, Ryuu, Morax, and Gaul stepped up.

While Millihiore hung back and guarded Ryner.

Since he is the mage and their long-range attack expert.

{What I seek is thunder, Izuchi!}

Raising both his hands a giant magic circle appeared in front of Ryner, and then once it did several arcs of electricity shot out of it and moved toward the Infant Dragon.

Seeing this the Infant Dragon dodged Ryner's attack with ease.

It then let out a mighty roar and started running towards him.

However before it could even get within a foot of Ryner Leonmitchelli swung her axe attacking the dragon from the left side, while Gaul drove his gauntlet-covered fist into it from the right side.

Letting out a scream of pain the Infant Dragon stopped in its tracks.

But that was only for a moment.

Moving backwards it lashed out with its tail towards the left, landing a direct hit on Leonmitchelli and driving her into the ground.

"Sis!" Gaul shouted in worry.

"I'm fine!" Leonmitchelli instantly shouted back. Standing to her feet. "Worry about yourself."

Seeing that Gaul was distracted the Infant Dragon moved closer to him and attempted to bite a chunk out of him.

But Ryuu and Morax would not let that happen.

Closing in both sides once more Morax slashed at the dragon's left side with his spear, while Ryuu made her own slash attack on its right side with her sword.

Once again stopping the dragon in its tracks.

But doing little damage in the process.

Since the cuts on the dragons body barely seeped any blood at all.

'That dragon hide is tough. It's keeping our cuts from going attacks from going to deep.' Morax thought.

Seeing that the Infant Dragons skin was keeping its wounds shallow he switched tactics.

Raising his left hand he chanted the phrase for his only magic [Geo Force].

{Ground and soil, heed my command and come forth!}

Morax shouted with a hint of shame. Even though the incantation for his magic is super chunni.

But after using it many times over the last year he got over his embarrassment of speaking the chant.

Mostly.

Anyway.

As soon as Morax was finished chanting a magic circle appeared in front of his left hand and several earth spikes shot for from it, landing right in the left side of the Infant Dragon.

The Earth spikes were able to pierce the dragons thick skin, but they still weren't deep enough to cause crippling damage.

Roaring in pain the Infant Dragon flexed its muscles and the earth spikes simply popped out of its body.

Once that happened the beast set its sights on Morax and then raced toward him with vengeance in its gaze.

A smirk on his face Morax charged the dragon head on.

Then once he got in close he maneuvered around  the dragons attempt to attack him with its left claw and then slashed it across the chest with his spear.

He then continued doing so, dodging all the attacks aimed at him by a hairs breathe.

Is this dangerous?

Of course.

But right now Morax is having an adventure and enjoying himself, so logic is being thrown out the window.

Delivering a slash to the dragons neck Morax moved out of his range of attack.

But the moment after he did so several cracks in the ground opened up. Admitting five orcs onto the battlefield.

This was the dungeons way of saying, taking down the Infant Dragon will not be that easy.

"Bring it on then." Morax said.

As if responding to the dungeons challenge.

"Leon, Gaul handle the orcs. Ryuu, you and me will take down the dragon. Ryner, provide support. Same to you Milli." Morax instructed his fellow familia members.

"Yes." They all answered.

Once they did so the battle resumed with new intensity on both sides.

14