Chapter 5: Tutorial Completion World
157 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Location-A Conceptual Relaxation Room floating in the Space Between All Things

[Rolling Tutorial World.... Ding, A Series of Unfortunate Events Dimension picked. User may now apply Karma For non-protagonist character choice.]

'Isn't that the depressing series by Lemony Snickett?'

[Correct, current Karma 34 Total Positive, allows you to pick any good, neutral, evil character in the series that are supporting class of characters. List of accessible characters generating.]

After reviewing the extensive list and pondering his choices. 'My grandchildren enjoyed that series for some reason, I felt otherwise, still I read if with them to be able to keep up with their conversations. System I would like to know a few more things when I make my decision. They are as follows, how restricted will my stats/skills/abilities be in this Dimension? How restricted are my actions gonna be in this Dimension? Is the storyline set in stone?'

[A Series of Unfortunate Events Dimension has almost the exact same physics as user's previous dimension, so almost exactly the the same rules and restrictions will apply. One alteration is that more species will be of slightly higher sentience, so essence will be closer to user's size. Also people of this Dimension have lower Intelligence and Wisdom. 5 Karma will be reserved to prevent user's stats from being suppressed. User's Karma level is insufficient to affect serious actions and is extremely limited till the beginning of storyline. User will be unable to prevent the beginning of story, however can of course bend the surrounding events and take active action once started. The storyline once started can be affected although the dimension will act on any openings you leave to enact the script.]

'Hmf, seems pretty railroaded to be. Why is that?'

[Each Dimension has their own story/script/code that it follows. Users Karma can be used to make modifications to them, so the larger the wanted change to the Dimension the greater the Karma required. Once User is part of the Dimension can use that dimension's own rules to subvert the story, with assistance from the boosts given by system.]

'Good to know, will have to plan this out. System how long do I have till I need to make a choice?'

[Time is irrelevant, no time movement occurs outside of this space and when decision is made birth will commence. As a courtesy to positive Karma user's birth will be done while unconscious.]

'That's nice.' Tom then proceeded to discuss with the system about which available character would have the most impact and could be used to move the storyline in the direction he prefers. Coming to a decision 'System final set of questions will I have to follow the career path of the chosen character I will become and if I take that persons place will I be overwriting the individual in question? Also can I still get various non-sentient animal essences, and will all my perks/stats extend the lifespan of my chosen character beyond the dimensional set limit?'

[Users Karma is insufficient to make significant changes before storyline occurs. User must maintain the bare minimum requirements of chosen characters scripted background. However once user becomes part of the Dimension can use the laws of that dimension to affect change. User's Karma is exchanged to transition soul of chosen character to previous Dimension to maintain soul balance. Users lifespan will be increased from previous dimensional limit by the allotted span granted by users accumulated stats/perk up-to the max allowed for the chosen character's body, barring interference. To repeat the User is allowed to absorb the essence of all things that held life inside, ex. plants, insects, undead monstrosities.]

'Alright it's a bit of a change I didn't expect to experience, but after all consideration and the information I discussed with you, I choose to become Justice Strauss Karma cost 25, using my 4 remaining Karma points to enhance the exchanged soul so her transition to my dimension is improved.'

[Ding! Tutorial Complete access to Tutorial Pocket granted, generating additional rewards. For your pacifistic stance of not absorbing a single persons essence in previous life giving you the skills of Meredith Grey from Grey's anatomy. The skills are Medicine H, Surgery H. For completely using up your Karma in a positive manner +1 to Charisma. Beginning soul exchange, system will be unavailable during gestation and birth sequence, user will be in sleep mode during that time.]

  The next thing Tom knew is the smack he now she suddenly experienced, with a cry she then heard a [Ding system activating welcome user to your new life.] At the same time she heard her what sounded like greetings from her new parents. "Welcome to the world Judith Sibyl Strauss. We have high hopes for you."

60 Years Later

  It had been a long time to the beginning the storyline. Judith had spent that time gaining the skills, connections, and the money, she needed for the story and any interference that might occur when her plan finally would commence. She then began laying the foundation that would help save the orphans. The first thing she did was begin the process of creating the Child Protective Services organization to actually help children more effectively in this world. Judith had noticed that the more justice minded folks could be swayed to follow better guidelines by just getting the better law into place. While the more criminally inclined would follow the rules more closely if law enforcement were more effective. That had been the harder part since as a lawyer planning to become a judge, she couldn't be as direct on cleaning up the incompetent police force. So having to use various political tricks and financial maneuvers to make even a little bit of improvement in the police-force.

  As time grew closer to the event, Judith using what free time she had to track down any and all loose information on V.F.D. and collect any evidence there was of the crimes committed by Olaf, his troupe, and her fellow supposed "Judges." In a last ditch attempt to change things she used a portion of her funds to improve the firefighters equipment and training to maybe increase the chances of saving the children's parents.

  It wasn't all work though Judith needed to relax now and then so she made some time to try to enjoy herself in this life. She made friends, went to various family events, even tried some romance. All in all she had fun times as well. just like in the story though she never did find the one to make a life with.

The Bad Beginning (Not if she could help it.)

  On the day the Baudelaire children (Violet, Klaus, and Sunny), enjoying a dark, foggy day at Briny Beach when it is not crowded. Arthur Poe, a friend of the family, emerges and approaches them with news of their parents' demise in a fire that destroyed their home. Alas Judith's preparations hadn't worked in saving the parents. the firefighters were able to preserve the building better. So there was an actual structure left and more family mementos survived.

  Judith is the first person to greet Mr. Poe and the Baudelaires (Violet, Klaus, and Sunny) when they arrive at their new guardian's neighborhood. She comes across as firm, warm, and very kind, and invites the children to come over and help with her gardening; and directs them to Olaf's house. The Baudelaires take a liking to her as soon as they met. She watched them sadly be introduced to Count Olaf who easy tricked Mr. Poe into giving them the children masquerading as a distant relative who makes his living as a theatrical actor in the city. Once Mr. Poe was done with his task Judith intercepted him before he could leave and invited him for tea to lay the groundwork for her storyline derailment plan.

  Once she gets him into her house she took a moment to take stock as she laid out the tea things. Having 60 years to prepare,  but being unable to actually meet any of the other members of the story face-to-face had made it difficult to actually enact any direct to involve them. Thankfully she had been able to get dirt on all the key players. One of first things Judith noticed about Mr. Poe is that he had the most idiotic gaze she'd ever seen a person make, which was both surprising and not, remembering the book's portrayal of him. The information she had gathered on him though showed Mr. Poe was extremely talented with money. Judith began to think that he might be one of those idiot savants. "Mr. Poe are you aware of the new laws regarding childcare?" He replied, "No I've only recently gained this position and am only following the rules of the Baudelaire's will." Judith then proceeded to explain the new rules regarding child protection, such as required minimum standards of the child's environment, their safety, and the fact that they must have a proper education. She also explained that these new rules superseded the will that he was handling. Before she could go into further detail Mr. Poe interrupted, "Judge Strauss, I hear what you are saying and will follow them to the letter because one must always follow the rules."

  Having said his piece Mr. Poe bid Judge Strauss good day and went on his way taking the proffered book on the new childcare laws. Judith sighed in relief the seeds were planted time to move onto the next phase. The gathering of evidence to use for child protective services, while of course still following the script lightly. Days later the Baudelaires are given the task of making dinner for Olaf and his theatre troupe. They go to Justice Strauss's house and find a recipe book in her library, and decide to make an Italian dish called: pasta puttanesca. Justice Strauss brings the children to the market to buy the ingredients. While there she lets them know about the new laws that are now in place to protect children. The Baudelaires proceed to explain the horrid conditions Count Olaf has them under. Expressing shock Judge Strauss explained to them the difficulties of removing them from such an unpleasant guardian, but now that she is aware she can begin the process of removing them from such a negative environment. She explained that some evidence would help their cases greatly since the average adult usually had a hard time believing children.

  Apologizing that she can't help them right away, they finish shopping and part ways at her house. The Baudelaires go home to make the dish. While the Baudelaires are in the kitchen, Olaf enters and demands roast beef. The children remind him that he never asked them to make roast beef and Olaf becomes very angry. He lifts Sunny up to frighten the children as "discipline,"(It is implied he was going to drop her to the ground) but puts her down and accepts to eat their "disgusting sauce" anyway. The Baudelaires retreat to the kitchen and Violet looks at the pasta sauce in the pot, which now resembles a vat of blood to her. After dinner, Olaf excuses the children from attending his play, and he orders the children to their "beds." An furious Klaus reminds Olaf he has only provided them one bed and they can't use their fortune to buy another until Violet is of age, causing Olaf to angrily slap Klaus' face so hard he falls to the floor, while Olaf's theatre troupe only laughs and applauds Olaf. The depressed Baudelaires wash the dishes and go to sleep, quietly weeping because of the terrible situation they are in.

  The next day, the children go to the city and complain about Olaf's lifestyle and abuse to Mr. Poe at Mulctuary Money Management, who downplays their complaints and could not care less, while answering various odd phone calls in between his coughing fits. Even when Violet mentions Count Olaf slapped Klaus so hard that a bruise still remains, Poe tells them that Olaf is acting "in loco parentis" and he can raise them any way he sees fit, even if they do not particularly like it. Frustrated, the Baudelaires decide to go to Justice Strauss's and request her help. After letting her know what had occurred both with Count Olaf and Mr. Poe, Judge Strauss stood there stunned for a moment. 'Wow, what a useless person Mr. Poe has turned out to be, he didn't listen to anything I told him about the new laws.' thought Judge Strauss. She turned to the kids and said, "What nonsense parents may discipline their children, but only within limits. This goes to to far,  this is more than enough evidence for child protective services to take action." Getting permission to photograph the Klaus's bruise she asked them to list all the instances of abuse for the records.

  The response that Judge Strauss received from child protective services the organization she helped setup was swift. Custody of the Baudelaires was taken from Count Olaf and temporary asylum at Judge Strauss's location was granted. Before the police could press charges and arrest him, Count Olaf and his troupe escaped, vowing that he would gain the children's fortune one way or another. Justice Strauss tells the Baudelaires that she is willing to adopt them and the Baudelaires support the idea, however, Mr. Poe says that this would go against their parents' will as Strauss is not directly related to the Baudelaires, and the will states the Baudelaires must go to their "closest living relative." In response Judge Strauss reveals that she had Count Olaf's genealogy looked up and that he wasn't a relative of the Baudelaires either. Meaning that Mr. Poe had failed in following the will already and that her claim to adopt them would be more valid. If he was adamant about it she could adopt herself to the Baudelaires as a non-blood relative, like being an in law.

  The argument would take some time so Judge Strauss proceeded to lead Mr. Poe out of her property and told him to come back later after the children had recuperated from the abuse brought to them by Count Olaf. After sending him away she turned to the children and explained to them that she had many plans to help them, but they would need to work together to make things workout. For now they were welcome to rest in her house, while they planned their next action.

After Judith secured the premises and lay down to rest she thought 'Status' to review where she stood.

Race: Eukaryomorphic Human (Human with many animal and insect, and some plant traits)

Age 60 Level 39 (exp 6100/39000)

Condition: Normal

Stats

Strength 31H>38H

Dexterity 46H>56H

Constitution 53H>70H

Intelligence 45H>55H

Wisdom 45H>55H

Charisma 17H>20H

Skills

Acting I>H, Basic Languages E>D, Body Language F>E, Camouflage G>F, Car Mechanics H, Cleaning H>G, Cold Resistance G>F, Cooking H>G, Digging H>F, Dive F>E, Driving G, Enhanced Hearing E>D, Enhanced Smell E>D, Enhanced Swimming E>D, Enhanced Vision G>E, Fist Fighting F, Heat Resistance G, Maintenance H>G, Mathematics H>G, Marine Martial Arts H, Night Vision H, Parallel Thinking G+, Shooting H, Volleyball G, New Skills (Enhanced Touch F, Medicine H, Surgery H)

Perks

Entomorph: (Fall Armyworm), Fungalmorph: (Mushroom), Plantamorph: (Elm, Evergreen) Pupa, Stoic, Uncommon Physical Growth, Zoomorph: (Anchovy, Bass, Blue Wildebeest, Camel, Carp, Chicken, Crow, Cow, Crab, Deer, Eel, Goat, Goose, Hare, Horse, Impala, Kangaroo, Llama, Lobster, Mackerel, Mole, Mouse, Mussel, Octopus, Oyster, Pig, Pigeon, Possom, Prawn, Rabbit, Raccoon, Rat, Reindeer, Salmon, Sardine, Seagull, Sheep, Shrimp, Squid, Trout, Tuna, Turkey, Vole, Zebra), World Compass

Corpse Absorption Progress

Ant (.07814), Aphid (.00203), Bedbug (.00072), Bee (.00502), Centipede (.00009), Cockroach (.00694), Dandelion (.00026), Earwigs (.00081), Flea (.00043), Fly (.11801), Ivy (.068), Jellyfish (.00011), Lice (.00052), Mosquito (.07871), Moth (.00161), Pill Bug (.00184), Slug (.000496), Spider (.00053), Wasp (.03207), Worm (.00061)

Abilities:Tutorial Pocket. Sealed (Diagnose H, Flight H>G, Ink Squirt)

Achievements: Family Man, For The Family!, Globetrotter, Survivor

Karma: 126 Total Positive

8