Kaer Y Seren
18 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

23 Birke 1208

Two horses are trotting in the snowy mountains of Kovir on a white blanket of vegetation. One of the horses is white and ridden by Saibus, while the other is black and ridden by Lyndis and the young boy named Arthur. Arthur has recovered under the care of Saibus and Lyndis. He looks less sickly but is not as fit as an eight-year-old as he should be, but he has regained his strength.

It is three days since they arrived in Kovir by boat. Lyndis took her horse from the ship's hold, while Saibus took a horse from an Assassin's hut. During her three days of travel on horseback, Lyndis got to know Arthur and discovered that Arthur is like her, ready to help others, to fight for peace.

"We're approaching Kaer Y Seren. We'll be there in half an hour. It shouldn't be long before we start seeing the ruins of the fortress," Lyndis said, interrupting her discussion with Arthur.

Indeed, barely five minutes later, Saibus can see the remains of the Griffin Witcher's Fortress after passing a rise.

In front of Saibus, Lyndis, and Arthur are the ruins of the Castle of Kaer Seren, which lies on a mountain. They are covered by a thin layer of snow, giving them an enchanting aura. Although the walls are partially destroyed, and part of the fortress has collapsed, Griffin's home remains standing and imposing.

"Welcome to my home. Kaer Y Seren, Castel of the Griffin School."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walking along the snowy road, the horses creep towards the portcullis of the fortress. On the wall above the castle gate stands a man in his thirties. He has his black hair in a high bun. He is in armor and wears a cloth over his breastplate that covers his legs. He is sitting on a broken stone, watching the entrance to the fortress. He is cleaning his silver sword.

"Lyndis looks like you finally got a ride home," the Witcher says.

"Yes, Coën, I was told that I should return. The survivors of the Griffin school were to be gathered for a project with the Assassins. So here I am." replied Lyndis, stopping her horse before the lowered portcullis.

"Yes, a great project. A project that is supposed to restore the school to its former glory," said Coën as he placed his sword on the stone and walked towards the crank at the bottom of the wall in the castle courtyard.

"We will be able to become a true school of Witcher again and not just a shadow of our former selves." retorts Lyndis.

Coën nods and pulls up the portcullis. The metallic sound of the portcullis can be heard. Gradually the entrance to the castle opens up, and the fortress's courtyard can be seen. Coën blocks the crank and invites Saibus and Lyndis to enter.

Lyndis and Saibus lead their horses. They enter the inner courtyard, passing Coën. They approach the small shed on the right, a small stable. Dismounting and removing their business saddle, Saibus and Lyndis find themselves in front of Coën, who has lowered the portcullis.

"I see you've come with an extra," Coën says, looking at Arthur standing before Lyndis with his back to her.

"Yes, that's Arthur. He's going to be the next Griffin Witcher," Lyndis smiles.

"Oh, a new wizard. Well, boy, I hope you are ready for what lies ahead." retorts Coën.

"Come on, let's set up in the hall of the fortress. We'll build a fire and discuss what to do next before Keldar, and the others return," says Coën as he leads the way to the fortress doors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a large room, Saibus, Lyndis, Coën, and Arthur sit around a table near a fireplace warming the room with the help of other fireplaces. On the table is wooden cutlery with jugs of water and a pot in the center. The four of them are having lunch because the zenith passed an hour ago.

On the plates of the Witchers, the apprentice, and the assassin are potatoes, sausages, lentils, carrots, and cabbage with bread—a good hearty meal for the enormous task ahead.

While conversing about each other's adventures, Lyndis asks her fellow Witcher a question.

"Coën, earlier you said that others were coming besides Keldar, but who are they? The three of us are the last wizards of the school. So who could be coming to help with our quest."

"The same kind of people who helped you when you were captured in the city of Cintra," replied Coën between bites of bread.

Turning her head towards Saibus, Lyndis gives her an accusatory and questioning look. Saibus smiles at her face and decides to clear his thoughts.

"Did you think we would rebuild this school with four people? Of course not. The Brotherhood helps the Griffin Witcher rebuild schools and find a trusted alchemist to make the potions to become a wizard."

Lyndis nods at Saibus' statement. But rebuilding a castle cannot be done without means and a workforce. Nevertheless, one thing disturbs Lyndis all the same.

"But what gets the Assassin's Brotherhood to help us like this? The reconstruction of the school and the search for an alchemist will take a lot of time and require a lot of money, whether in the workforce or resources. There's no reason for her to help us so much." Lyndis is doubtful and intrigued by the League's help to the wizards.

Lyndis's question causes Coën, who frowns, and Lyndis herself to take a serious look. Arthur, listening to the discussion without participating, looks between the two Griffin wizards who will be his home and one of his saviors who seems to be part of a dangerous organization.

Saibus doesn't seem concerned about Coën and Lyndis' seriousness. "There are many reasons why the Brotherhood helps the Griffin Witcher. And every one of them has been accepted by Keldar. But I can tell you this."

"The first reason is the lack of wizards. In the Continent, there are roughly one hundred and two hundred active wizards, which is too few to keep up with the proliferation of monsters, even if it has subsided for a while. The destruction of the Griffin school, the attack on the Wolf school, and the isolation of the Viper and Bear school do not help the balance between monsters and witches. Moreover, the Cat school is nomadic, which makes it more difficult to contact, although it travels all over the Continent with its caravan. The Brotherhood can help the wizards, but we don't specialize in monsters but in humans."

"The second reason is the condition of the Witcher themselves. As long as the League and the Wizarding Schools have existed, we have always coexisted to maintain a precarious balance between humans and monsters. While Witcher can live without the League and vice versa, it will be more complicated if the League also has to focus on monsters and you on humans who want to take advantage of your knowledge and power."

"The third reason is one of the League's recent goals that will take several decades to set up: to change the mentality of racism between humans, dwarves, gnomes, elves, and wizards. But, unfortunately, to ensure that this racism is present among everyone because of mainly humans and elves, it has spilled over to other races like dwarves, gnomes, and wizards who are just humans with powers like wizards."

"These are the three main reasons for the Brotherhood's help. There are other minor reasons, such as the relationships the schools built with the League. In addition, some wizards became friends with assassins." Saibus finished his monologue and went to drink his large glass of water.  Arthur does not understand the reasons Saibus has just announced, but with the rather gloomy looks of Lyndis and Coën, he understands that Saibus' reasons are pretty severe.

"Indeed, the decrease in wizards is more significant than the decrease in monsters. Of course, more monsters than wizards, but considering the number of monsters swarming and the wizards, we are much fewer wizards for the rate of monsters," says Coën while eating his plate.

"Regarding the humans, we've been dealing with them since the first Witcher. That's why we have two swords, one silver and one steal. But for the racist problem, I think it's a good idea. After that, it will take a lot of time to realize it, as you said. For my part, I think it would never happen. Man will never be able to ignore this kind of thing," Lyndis continued with a conflicted look.

The three people said nothing else for several minutes before Arthur broke the silence.

"By the way, who is Keldar, the other Griffin Witcher."

Lyndis went to answer, but a voice came from behind them near the front door.

"That would be me, young man." They all turn to see Desmond, a somewhat older man with many scars on his face with wrinkles. He has long brown hair and brown eyes. He is wearing knight's armor with a yellow brigandine. He carries a pouch on his right side and two swords on his back.

AN:

I thank ArtoriasPendragon for allowing me to use his creation Lyndis in my story

0