Ch. 34 – Hephaestus’ curse and a new deal
1.5k 1 63
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Is there any way you could obtain some of these metals for me? Uru, Vibranium, Adamantium, Nth Metal, Dionesium, Promethium, Batmanium and Electrum."

"The first three wouldn't be too hard to obtain. They were on my to do list anyway. But the others aren't, at least not yet.

Either way, you're going to have to wait quite a while."

"That's okay, time isn't an issue. So, you have your seal, I've got the knowledge. I'd say we're about done here right?"

"That depends."

"On what?"

"Whether or not you're willing to tell me about that." I say, pointing at her eyepatch.

"Why? Are you going to fix it?

Do you know how many have tried? Every time I get my hopes up. I've offered so many rewards, I've lost count."

"I don't know if I can fix it, that's why I need to know more."

After a while of pondering Hephaestus apparently comes to a decision.

"Fine, I'll tell you the story.

It all started with a theory I'd come up with. I knew human blood contains iron, but from my own experiments I'd learned that the blood of gods contains something else. Something stronger, but the thought of taking blood from an innocent god didn't sit well with me so I asked Zeus if I could take some blood from his father, Kronos, who was imprisoned.

Of course he wanted to know why, so I explained my findings. He was quite amazed and gave me permission on one condition. If my research led to anything, he'd get something special made from the material.

I accepted, and was given permission to go to tartarus and take some blood from Kronos.

After I took it and got it back to my forge in heaven to study it, I was amazed to find that Titan blood contains something even better than that of a god. I extracted as much of the metal as I could and called it Aegis, I used it to forge a shield and a breastplate but before I could finish a complete set of armor and make a weapon, I noticed my eyesight had gone bad in my right eye. When I looked into a mirror, I found out that my eye had been horribly disfigured.

I asked help from Hecate and after she'd finished examining me, I was shocked to learn that my entire soul had already been cursed. And whatever this curse was, it was starting to affect me physically as well.

She helped me create this eyepatch. It contains the curse and stops it from spreading as long as I don't touch any of the Aegis.

Zeus was quite angry I couldn't continue so he took both the shield and the breastplate and left me with nothing. The shield would serve him well later in battle though, that thing has saved his life many times. It is virtually indestructible and is completely impervious to magic. Of course this also means it cannot be enchanted.

Hecate and I later figured out that Kronos knew what his blood could be used for so he placed a curse on it, if anyone used it for whatever purpose, they would slowly whither and die a painful death.

But there you go. So, think you can do it?"

'Virtually indestructible, huh. Wonder Womans bracelets are made from the same metal as the Aegis shield in DC, only they called it Amazonium. Those bracelets have stood up against gods, Superman, Darkseid, a machine capable of annihilating star systems, the full force of the entire Greek Pantheon and even attacks from the Spectre. Who is literally the physical embodiment of God's vengeance. Indestructible indeed.'

"Yes, I think I can help you. But what will I get in return?"

"See? I knew I shouldn't get my hopes... what did you just say?"

"I think I can help you. I'd like to at least try, but if I succeed what do I get in return? I don't mean to be an asshole, but when I asked for a flimsy little seal and offered a finger, you took the entire hand. And now I can clean your soul and give you back your depth perception. So, what do I get?"

"What do you want?"

"No, how about you make me an offer."

After thinking about it for a dozen seconds or so she seems to have made up her mind.

"Like I said, throughout the years I've offered many rewards to anyone capable of lifting this curse. I'll give you all of it."

"Draw me up a list."

She quickly takes a piece of paper from her desk and holds it between both hands. A few seconds later words start appearing on the paper.

"What was that?"

"Transcription paper. It's like a simpler version of the empty grimoire. Here you go."

She hands me the paper and I start reading down the list.

'A lot of artifacts, weapons and armors of course. But further down the list things start getting interesting. I guess over time she got more desperate and started offering bigger and better rewards.

There's a volcano she owns, a couple mines and then there's the last 3 things on the list.

A personal blacksmith contract. A little different from a normal one. Basically she'd personally make me anything I'd want her to make and make it her priority, and all I'd have to do is provide the materials. The contract would last until either one of us dies.

Then there's a summoning contract. I'd be allowed to summon her wherever and whenever to do whatever is required.'

"Uh, doesn't the summoning contract make the blacksmith one obsolete?"

"Yeah, I got pretty desperate when I offered that one. Let alone the last one. So embarrassing..."

"Don't worry, I'm already married."

"That never stopped any other god."

"I want something else instead of the last one."

"What is it?"

"Your knowledge, every single bit of it. I want to learn everything you know about forging weapons and armor, enchantments, metallurgy, runes and anything else I might be able to use to enhance my craftsmanship."

"That's... Alright, fine. But you're going to have to take this knowledge in pieces. I give you some and once you've mastered it, and only then, can you get the next piece.

And this is all assuming you can actually get rid of this curse. So far you haven't shared how you plan to do it."

"Yeah, about that. Do you have some kind of barrier that could shield me using my Arcanum?"

"Already in place, it's also anti scrying."

Knowing it's safe to go ahead, I stop holding back. I pour my aura through the seal and it breaks immediately. My hair turns white again, my fangs come out and my eyes become sharper like those of a predator. All my senses return to me all at once.

I start walking towards Hephaestus slowly. And take her right arm in my hands.

"Try to hold still."

The next moment I sink my fangs into her and focus on every aspect of her until I find the curse. I then start devouring it, slowly.

It doesn't actually take all that long. Once I've finished I let go of her arm and take a few steps back.

"That's it? You just bit me."

"No, I devoured the curse. See for yourself. Just take off the eyepatch and look in a mirror. I'm sure Hecate can confirm if your soul has been cleansed as well."

She walks to a mirror and slowly takes off her eyepatch. She looks at her previously disfigured eye for a few seconds before tears start rolling down her cheeks.

In the meantime, I place a new seal for my Arcanum.

"I'll give you a day to gather and prepare all the rewards."

"Thank you!"

"One more question. Do you have any more Aegis?"

"Yes, I couldn't even use one-tenth of what I took. Why?"

"In due time, you're going to make me something special."

63