Ch. 41 – New abilities and another hunt
1.4k 3 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Waking up inside a volcano, submerged in lava can be a harrowing experience. Especially if you don't remember falling asleep in said volcano.

Which is exactly what happened to me an hour ago. I woke up and broke out of the volcano.

Apparently I've been sleeping long enough for a highly active volcano to go dormant. And for it to be covered in plantlife.

The last thing I remembered was devouring Rodan. Who I've found out, might not be Rodan.

According to the memories I devoured, there are 3 other specimens of this species.

Another thing I immediately noticed was that I have wings! I took them for a spin right away.

After a few hours of flying and trying to figure out the magma and heat manipulation I decide to look for my next prey.

This is when I notice something strange. There are dinosaurs. And not just the somewhat big lizards the size of dogs that were alive during the Permian period (300 million - 250 million years ago). No, I'm talking actual dinosaurs.

I'm quite certain I came to this world around 270 million years before humankind, which would mean I've been asleep in that volcano for at least twenty million years. I even slept through an extinction event.

So I've been asleep a hundred times longer than humankind has existed.

Wanting to check to make sure, I land on the ground and change back to my wolf form.

I become as big as I can and to my surprise I stand at about thirty-five meters tall (115 ft.).

That's five times as big as I used to be. Awesome!

I wonder if the same thing happens if I devour another Titan. If so, then I'm going to need to make sure no Titan randomly stumbles upon my unconscious body.

I wanted to only use my wolf form in this world so I could pass for a Titan myself, but I guess I could use a bit of magic.

Over the next few weeks I prepare my base of operations. The first step was figuring out where to make it. I chose Norway, because you know.. Fenris. And in this world most mythological monsters are based on Titans.

One problem was figuring out where Norway is going to be, because right now there's still only one continent, Pangea. Eventually I managed to figure it out. So now I have a cave 2 kilometers deep beneath central Norway somewhere around Trondheim.

A couple barrier spells and an illusion making it seem as though there is no cave at all and voila, my new home, literally the first mancave in this world.

Before I go out to hunt the next Titan, I decide to continue experimenting the possibilities and limitations of Rodan's powers.

Rodan only used his lava-beam when he was hurt, like a defense mechanism. And according to his memories he never used it because he wanted to. It was activated by instinct.

It took me a while but I was able to use the ability on command, and even learned that I can use a less powerful version without needing so much heat build-up.

I also figured out that Rodan never reached his full potential. He solely relied on instinct and never tried to improve his abilities. The hottest temperature he could reach was about 1700 °C (3092 °F). But after only a few days of actual practice, I managed to double those numbers.

The last thing I wanted to do was inspired by the way I started changing immediately after I devoured Rodan. I wanted to be able to use Rodan's powers in both my wolf and human forms. I succeeded in both, but it was extraordinarily painful when I used it in my human form until I increased my size to about eleven feet (3.35 m). I even learned how to grow Rodan's wings when I use these forms. Unfortunately I can't grow wings without using what I've come to call my volcanic form.

Now that I have full control over my new powers, it's time for my second hunt.

I decide to change my methods slightly.

This time, I don't give in to instinct and roar violently. Instead I just release my aura as far and wide as I can in controlled, short bursts.

The terrain I picked this time is also different. Instead of a valley surrounded on 3 sides by mountains, I picked a large forest this time. If I need to escape for some reason, I can simply decrease my size and disappear through the trees.

I'm standing on a large cliff, overlooking the entire forest. I've been sending out my aura beacon for over an hour. With Rodan it took less than ten minutes. So I decide that I'll try again tomorrow. I lie down and enjoy watching the sun set on the horizon.

Right now Norway is in the middle of the continent, surrounded by land for hundreds of miles. Tomorrow I'll try closer to the ocean. I might get more lucky with an aquatic Titan.

I can traverse land easily in my wolf form. I can fly now, thanks to Rodan. So the only thing I still lack is a form I can use to swim.

I can think of a few Titans that would suffice. Of course there's the big guy himself, Godzilla, but there's also Scylla, Manda and Tiamat. I might be missing a few but those are the ones I remember.

After watching the sunset I decide to close my eyes for a nap.

A few hours later.

DANGER! I wake up because every instinct I have is telling me I'm in danger.

I look around to find the source but I can't find anything. I also can't hear anything.

Wait. I can't hear anything.. not a single bird or insect, not even the wind rustling the trees. Just nothing.

Maybe a Titan that can manipulate sou..

*BOoOoOM!!!*

"AAAARGH" I scream out in both pain and shock as an incredibly loud sound suddenly ruptures my eardrums while I'm pressed against the ground purely from the force of the soundwaves.

I resist the pressure and manage to lift my head and catch the image of my assailant.

Camazotz, the giant bat Titan. That explains why he waited so long. He's nocturnal.

Camazotz continuously launches soundwaves that keep pressuring me to the ground while he gets closer, trying to go for the kill.

But I'm no easy prey. I quickly snap myself out of it.

No one has managed to get me with a surprise attack since the ancient vampires sacrificed my kin to trap me. So honestly this is pissing me off. Which does not bode well for Camazotz.

He's already dead. He just doesn't know it yet.

58