Chapter 21-25: Collecting Things For The Greater Good
1.8k 2 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

...

Chapter 21: Triangle Of War

...

"Someone actually dared to go after us... Not only that, their goal seems to be a takeover of the city." A middle-aged man spoke with his raspy voice, his tone was filled with anger yet he kept his rational side.

His hair was almost entirely white, a symbol of his old age. He had an exquisite black suit on, Italian style.

He was looking out of the windows as he spoke and behind him were about 11 people, all with similar outfits. Their face was tense as they knew the current state of the boss is when he's the cruelest.

"I want to say that we can just find and get rid of the rats like it's nothing, but my years at the top told me otherwise... Ladies and gentlemen, we might be facing a dangerous enemy this time." His tone was that of a leader, and a leader he was.

"They were a bunch of rats! We didn't even get to see what they look like! Like fucking rats, they just hit and run!" One of the people behind him yelled in frustration and anger.

"Keep calm... All of you." The leader named Carmine Falcone spoke and everyone obliged, "I got a tip that the Bat was quite active yesterday, he fought someone who I presume to be the leader of the enemy."

"Did he succeed or fail... In capturing him I mean?"

"I am not sure yet, but that told me everything I need to know... The enemy's main plan was stopped by Batman, I'm not sure what it is though. That also means we were a secondary goal, or the main goal was a just distraction and in reality, their goal was taking over the city's underworld."

Carmine took a smoke, still looking just as calm. Only he knows the rage held within.

"Numerous locations were hit around the city, not just our family but several others. However. there were three particular spots where the enemy fully extinguished its forces.

Two of those are ours, and the other is the Sicilians. I presume none of them are actually there, they emptied the east end warehouse and now must be hiding somewhere like rats... Excuse me, I lost myself for a bit there.

The important thing is that we know what they look like, the Sicilians were quite helpful in that regard. One of their hidden cameras caught sight of them... A bunch of people attired in an assassin-like outfit.

I have already sent the pictures to all of our connections for information about who they might be... For now, call the entire Sullivan family and spread them throughout the territory... And it's time to use the assassins."

Everyone in the room gulped not only in nervousness but also due to the tension. If Batman wasn't enough, now they have a mysterious organization on their back.

The mysterious organization they will come to know as the Society of shadows. No matter how much the latter tried to stay under the radar, their involvement in the world made that impossible, and Carmine truly used all of his connections to acquire that information.

The Falcone family had after all been maintaining a stranglehold over all of Gotham's crime families. It basically rules most of Gotham and has territory in every part of the city.

So while the east end of the city is, in reality, the Sicillians' territory, the Falcones still own a part of it, a small part of which was under the leadership of the dead Frank Falcone.

However, it was lost to the homeless of Gotham, and the Falcones had no time to take care of them under the watch of the Bat, especially after learning of the ferociousness of the homeless.

"You've all worked hard to protect our home, far beyond my expectations. We were all once the residence of the slums... And now we're no more." Ian spoke in the most tranquil of manners, making sure to show his confidence in the tone of his voice.

"Some may say we stand here because we walk a dark path, but what it is that we can do to rise in such a city... Even Batman walks in the dark, so why shouldn't we?

Enough of that, the simple truth of our situation is our greed... our desires. From the thousands of people in our street, I chose only twenty, and it took a long time with how high my standards were.

I chose you all because I see potential in you, I see that just perhaps you all can control your greed and not let it control you.

However, I understand if some of you do not wish to walk this path, so just stand up and walk away like this never happened. Our support will still always be with you."

Ian started eyeing them all after he finished. He needs a stronger control over the homeless, and that requires him to delegate control, a pyramid scheme of sorts.

A smile surfaced on his face, "Perfect... There is a lot to do especially in the situation Gotham finds itself in, we have an advantage, and we'll make sure of it."

What Ian dearly needed are more connections and information, thus why he started his next sets of plans, ones he used a lot of thought processes for.

He had to because he wasn't directly involved in all of them, thus his ability will not be that effective.

His underlings will be the ones doing most of the work, therefore he needed to really think about things to minimize the risk of their death in contrast to his normal thought process where he increase his risk of death to increase the chances of success.

"Boss! What is the name of the gang? I mean are we a gang, family, or what?" One of the new trusted underlings curiously asked.

"Hmm, I don't know. Ralf, any ideas?" Ian gave that not a single thought, but he saw why it's necessary.

"Yeah, I've actually been meaning to bring that up, but I'm not sure if you'll like the name... The Rose Family?"

Ralf wasn't sure, he thought the name was suitable because he understands that their entire group stands on the shoulders of Ian, he does most of the heavy work.

Most importantly, Ian was the one that started it all, and he is the web that holds it all together.

At least, that's what Ralf firmly believes. He was the only one who truly saw how much Ian cares about them.

He remembers Ian asking them so many times if they want to pull out, and that he'll give them enough money to live for the rest of their lives.

That is especially strange because It was Ian who spoke those words, someone who seeks death yet tried to keep them away from death to the best of his ability.

Ian however knew that there is so much he can do, thus staying away from him is the best choice.

"Rose... It sounds nice I guess, do what you see fit." Ian's last name never meant much for him, his parents both died before he could even speak, 'Perhaps I can make it mean something here?'

...

Chapter 22: The Rose Family

...

The circumstances of Gotham have been quite strange for the next two months. Many could feel the tension in its streets.

The rest felt the tension due to the massive increase in violence. Gunshots and explosions were a weekly occurrence, daily even.

That wouldn't have been too strange if not for its massive scale. An ongoing war was happening in the shadows of the city.

The heroes of the city knew the most about that, they knew the severity of the situation and knew exactly who is responsible for what was happening.

Batman was the most familiar with them because he had faced the society of shadows many times before. He fought their leader several times, yet the latter always survive just like he did this time.

And war has started between the crime families of Gotham and those who walk in the shadows... A one-sided war, when the society of shadows hit, they do so swiftly and brutally.

The only ones who have a chance against them were Batman and his crew, and they were somewhat successful.

The crime families, not just the Falcones, every crime family suffered a lot. The loss of men wasn't so important to them, what's truly painful is the loss of their weapons, narcotics, and cash.

That naturally led to an increase in aggression, unaware of the perpetrator of the heists, or perhaps some were aware, they just chose to keep a blind eye on their actions.

The Rose family has been quiet recently with not much activity. Their new name has already spread on the east side of the city as they somehow took over two other neighboring streets without doing anything.

The Sicilian family's eyes were on them because despite the Rose family doing nothing.

More and more of the homeless were making their way to Olster street, seeking a home and support.

However, a time came when the Rose warehouses became filled, thus Ian took to the kindness of his heart to buy other warehouses... In the neighboring streets.

The homeless moved in under the personal overseeing of some of the twenty Rose members, and well, the family was new, and Ian is picky, so there are still only twenty-four members in it so far.

That spread and concentration of the homeless that are under the command of someone led to the silent takeover of the family.

Many of the shop owners and residents sought the Rose family's protection, all due to their spot-clean reputation.

Friction started to rise between the Rose family and the Sicilians, but the latter had plenty of things to deal with, not only from Batman and his crew but also from the society of shadow.

The Rose family's income was thus stable just from the territory ownership and protection fees though its main source of money was always the heists.

Ian did most of the work in that regard as his partnership with Selina continued. Their relationship was perhaps a bit more distant not just due to Selina but also due to Ian.

He had to keep a bit of distance from people until he figures out how his power acts when in contact with other people, thus he started to always have gloves on.

The major thing and the most beneficial thing about the establishment of the Rose family is its new information gathering system.

Ralf oversees everyone while Barney manages the family warehouses. Ian saw it fit to give him that position just due to his pettiness and love of valuable things.

Mike was responsible for the protection system, overseeing the income from protection fees and helping in managing the 'Workers', specifically the ones responsible for the protection.

Still, Ralf basically manages most of the things. He has more experience, and he is wiser thus Ian specifically told him to oversee everything.

Ian on the other hand was just being Ian, planning things, and thinking about the future... Definitely not about amusing ways to die or at least trying to die.

Anyway, regarding the information system. It was something Ian saw as a benefit since long ago.

You pass by beggars regularly yet most often find yourself forgetting that even happened or your brain simply deletes that information.

They're everywhere, they can be everywhere, and they're the least suspicious people on the planet.

That's the life of a beggar. Wouldn't a system of information gathering built on that be as good as it can get with the provided circumstances?

"Well?" Ian muttered as he eyed the man standing before him, Nightwing formerly known as Robin, but he seems to have graduated, "Go on, speak."

Yet Nightwing remained silent and just stared at him, leading Ian to say, "Ok? This is getting weird... I'm not interested? I don't swing that way..." He said, even he was not sure if he was being eyed that way.

Nightwing tried to keep his face just as emotionless, but Ian could clearly see it twitching even from miles away, "It seems that I came to a conclusion too fast. If not that, could it be that you're trying to scare me?"

He wondered before adding, "Forgive my bluntness, but you're nowhere near as intimidating as you think you are though I could guess why some would be afraid of you... I guess?"

"We're watching you. We know of what you do... Stay in line with the rules and know that if you do anything bad, we'll be there to stop you, and send you where you belong."

His twitching face simply couldn't handle staying there any further, so he used his grapple device to leave in the blink of an eye.

"Hmm, somehow he made it weirder... What a weird guy, the weirdness was so intense it almost... Ahem,"

He refrained from thinking about that any further and focused on the serious stuff.

'My Id is fake which is illegal. I refuse to believe Batman doesn't already know that, and there are several reasons why he should've already investigated me, yet he chose not to take action... It couldn't be?'

A sliver of light passed through Ian's brown eyes, seemingly understanding something, 'He's smart, so he can probably find a way? However, he doesn't kill... Well, whatever.'

He halted his thoughts as he noticed another visitor has arrived. The cat's rest's roof has become a meeting place of special people by this point.

The new arrival was none other than the cat herself, "It's rare for you to contact me yourself, but I happened to want to talk to you about something anyway."

Ian nodded and said, "We need to be in private, follow me to my room."

"Oh? Being naughty now? What might we do in your room?" Selina let out a small laugh, being the mischievous cat she is.

Ian walked with her to his room, it's the closest to the roof for obvious reasons.

"I have a job in mind, a beautiful little thing."

"You do? We, this is a first. I used to always set targets just because you didn't want to, but this is better... perhaps?"

Selina was surprised, glad but also afraid. She knows just how dangerous he makes everything, so wondering just what his target is drives a chill through her.

"This will be quite dangerous, so feel free to leave now before I say anything."

He spoke those words as a formality, stealing was more like second nature to her at this point, perhaps she can give it up for some special circumstances, but those have yet to appear.

"Our goal is another city... Metropolis city, specifically its museum. Everything we get will be mine, and I'll give you your cut. I assume you don't mind traveling to another city?"

Selina frowned contemplating his words, "I don't, but what is it that you want? What is its price?"

"Stones... Just a few stones. There is no particular price to them... Worthless even, but I want them for my collection." He responded.

"It couldn't be that simple, right?" Selina believed none of it, his eyes must've caught something valuable, else why would he go through the trouble?

"I was talking about their known price, they're nothing too valuable. Of course, the stones being useless in someone else's hands doesn't mean they're worthless in mine."

Ian looked through his phone and opened the museum's official page, he then showed her some pictures.

"Here they are. I want you however to be silent about this, no inquiries, nothing should ever get out about this... Can I trust you with this, Selina"

She could swear she had never seen him be this serious. His seemingly harmless eyes told her that she won't like the consequences of betraying his trust, "I-I promise... No one will know of this."

Ian let out a light smile, "Perfect, so what is it that wanted to tell me? I'll tell you about my plans later."

"R-right. I already told you before that I've worked with Batman just like how he asked for my assistance for what happened two months ago.

I've helped him long ago thus he feels indebted to me. That's why he never handed me to the authorities despite catching me in the act of theft many times... As long as I don't do anything excessive of course."

Perhaps she went to overexplain things and she realized that. She just didn't want him to misunderstand despite already deciding to keep her distance... Her emotions were betraying her despite her loathing of death, and the latter is Ian's friendly companion.

"What I want to say is... He contacted me and he wants to work with you. I don't know how or why, but you should be careful if you decide to proceed."

"Well, isn't that interesting?"

...

Chapter 23: The Stones

...

'I can only hope superman doesn't show up out of nowhere. The guy can see through buildings and even hear the distinct voices of the entire city for christ's sake.

I on other hand am just a normal harmless guy, a bullet can kill me, so death, grace me with your blessing and keep your gates closed... and luck, continue to be the bitch of death... Hmm, not a bad prayer.'

Ian had his eyes closed as he recited his prayer in his mind, a new set of prayer. He then took a deep breath and opened his eyes.

"Are you finally done?" Selina couldn't help but ask, letting out a sigh of relief. His rituals and behavior were certainly strange.

She still had the same costume she always wears, the Catwoman suit. A whip was attached around her belt, and her gloves has extremely sharp claws at their tip, seemingly able to slice anything.

Ian's clothes were simple, just black clothes and gloves. He also had a mask and a belt with a few tools.

"I'm done, let's start," Ian said as he started opening a duffel bag by his side and pulling something from it.

"I honestly don't know why I'm still working with you. It's like you're trying to get me killed every single time," Selina voiced her complaints with a pout.

Ian let out a small laugh as he eyed her, "I know why. It's addicting, the touch of those new fabulous things, the cute little gems.

The flow of easy money and the rush of acquiring something new, and well, I'm a great company."

As he said that, Ian aimed the grapple gun in his hand at his target. In contrast to the one he borrowed from Nightwing, this one was much larger because it functions more like a hook.

He then pulled the trigger sending the hook to the target building, a faraway building and at a lower level than the high building they were on.

He established a path between the museum and the building he's on. He then attached some kind of device on it, "Let's move and don't worry, I've read a lot about this, it works like 1% of the time."

She was utterly speechless, but she didn't have time to respond as he had already hooked the rope to a pillar beside him and fastened the duffel bag to his back.

He pulled Selina by the waist and said, "Hang to me tightly." And she did, she clung to him like she was vying for her dear life... And she is.

He was used to rock climbing and using similar gears, so he wasn't exactly new to this. He just tied the ropes of the device to himself and started sliding into his destination.

Once he was almost there, he activated the device to trigger a brake mechanic, and so he stood on the roof of the museum.

He let go of Selina. collected the device and put it back in his bag, then pulled something else.

"Sometimes I wonder why museums love to have glass for a roof. It's like they're begging us to take what's inside." Selina remarked.

"It's excusable in a city such as Metropolis, but it's certainly weird in Gotham. Perhaps there is a certain design purpose for it? Not sure."

He attached the device to the glass ceiling and started doing his work, forming a large enough hole with the glass cutter.

He took his time, remaining cautious as to not trigger any alarms. He handed Selina the end of a black rope. "It's your turn."

He noticed Selina was still a bit shaken up by the experience, so he asked, "You're still not used to this by now? I thought you'd be used to things like this before we even started working together considering your criminal history, but you're still like this even after all this time."

"Well, in contrast to someone like you, I actually fear for my life. Preparing myself for death is one thing but facing it is another thing altogether."

Ian could not only see that she wasn't speaking the whole truth but also knew it, her fear of death was too obvious, and it wasn't just the normal human reaction, It seemed too deep.

Selina avoided eye contact with him and just took the rope, she then attached it to her belt, "Let's get to work. I swear if you pull some kind of prank, I'll kill you... Don't let me go... Please?"

Her tone went from a threatening one to a soft begging one after seeing his actions.

That confused him because he just glanced at her and shrugged his shoulders. Why would she assume he's planning something just by that... He would never ever do such a thing... Right?

Selina put on a night visor, held onto the rope, and jumped down into the museum. Ian slowly let go of the rope, part by part until she almost reached the ground.

They both had radios in their possession, so they could communicate. Ian couldn't see the insides of the museum clearly due to the darkness, so he just listened and waited for her word.

Everything was already planned for him to drop her in the location closest to the stones, but she couldn't touch the ground.

While the security in this museum is quite lax in comparison to Gotham, that doesn't mean it's gonna be easy.

At night, the museum ground becomes a sensitivity sensor, anything touching it will alert the authorities and perhaps some of the heroes, his chances of getting away thus become Zero.

Ian started the next phase of the plan which is simply shaking the rope left and right while Selina also did the same allowing her to reach her goal.

Her legs were clutching tightly to the rope while she was upside down, making her reach much larger.

To her left and right were two open cases with a few stones in them. Indeed, very few cases in the museum were closed with anti-bullet glass, and the same was for the paintings within.

Selina used her superhuman nimbleness to reach out and take the stones, one by one until she emptied both cases, "I acquired them all." She told Ian through the radio.

"Can you reach the other things or specifically the thing? Use your cat powers or something." Despite Ian once telling Mike to control his greed, he himself doesn't always adhere to that rule... He isn't as mature as most people think him to be.

Of course, if we set aside the fact they were his main goals, the magical stones were also his goal but he desired those things much more, and he won't leave until he gets them.

"I don't have any cat powers but sure, I'll give it a try." A smile surfaced on Selina somewhat enjoying this, "Start shaking the rope in a circle."

And Ian did, using all the strength in his hands after saying, "Be careful with them alright?"

"I'll try my best, but lower your expectations to... about 1% success rate." Her tone was that of a mischievous cat, trying to get back at him.

Her answer made Ian's face twitch this time, he never felt so tense and nervous, "I... I'm actually so nervous I might let the rope slip... I'm not even joking." He wasn't.

"I-I was just joking," Selina somewhat believed him as she should... Then she got to work and acquired the seemingly useless pieces of paper in the case.

...

Chapter 24: Kryptonites

...

"I-I was just joking," Selina somewhat believed him as she should... Then she got to work and acquired the seemingly useless pieces of paper in the case.

The movement of the rope allowed her to reach the pillar to which the case is attached, she clutched to it with two of her fingers and started her work.

Her claws were that of a cat, small but sharp. Somehow they were able to cut through the three-inch anti-bullet glass, the luxury of having connections is acquiring things such as these.

She carefully picked up the pieces of paper and gently put them in another pouch beside the one that has the stones.

Ian then carefully pulled the rope up, slowly but surely. His eyes were fixed on something, the pouch on her belt.

"Really? No well done?" Selina complained in annoyance.

"Oh? I didn't know you have a praise fetish... I can certainly accommodate that." Ian casually spoke as he took the pouch right off her belt.

Selina tried to suppress her anger to the best of her ability... She couldn't, "Childish, you're almost in your thirties yet you still behave like this."

Ian eyed her strangely, "Was that supposed to be a roast? I like acting childish sometimes, it's fine but when I need to act mature, I do. Besides, at least I'm mature enough to know how not to lose all my money."

"..." Selina was speechless, and she had nothing to say to that. It all seemed like a curse to her, wealth never stays long with her. It just fade away in the blink of an eye.

Ian attached the duffel bag to his back after putting everything in it, he then pulled Selina into his embrace, "Let's move, I'd feel like shit if I lost it."

Selina just shook her head, "That's what you're worried about?" She then closed her eyes and rested her head on his chest.

"Well, there is nothing right to worry about." The rope connected with the museum, and the other building was still there. He brought the end closest to him and tied it to his belt.

"I'm not much of a mathematician, but I calculated this, and I'm 100% sure that this will lead to our death, so you have nothing to worry about."

He gave her no chance to respond as he clutched tightly to the rope and jumped off the building.

It was way past midnight, and it was fairly dark even amidst the street lights. Very few people were outside, vehicles could be seen from time to time, and with their dark outfits, they blended perfectly with darkness.

Ian cared not for what was beneath. He just jumped and let his ability deal with the rest.

He clutched to the rope as it led him to the building with a gravitational force so high it would certainly lead to his death.

He would've certainly died, yet again, strange things happened.

Ian was sure he tied the other end of the rope tightly to the pillar at the building's top, yet he clearly felt it's loosened, he wasn't falling in a semi-orbital motion anymore.

However, that was only for a second as the rope got stuck on the building maintenance unit leading him to start swinging again, the rope almost slipped from his hands due to that change.

It also continued to slip little by little until the end of the rope started falling from the top and Ian found himself facing the building wall.

At some point, his legs touched the ground almost gently. However, the accumulated force still forced him to run for a bit until he was centimeters away from the wall.

Ian was confused, "I don't get it? Is that how physics work? I wasn't aware, but that was kind of anti-climatic... Can you get any more boring babe?"

Selina opened her eyes after hearing his words and looked around in confusion, "Who are you talking to?"

"Death or I guess my ability? We have a love and hate relationship, sometimes she's so boring I hate her to death, but other times she gives me welcomed surprise and I love her to death."

He spoke in an almost poetic tone, amusement was apparent on his face, seemingly in remembrance of beautiful memories.

Selina's mouth opened and closed several times, she tried to speak but nothing came out until she got her bearing back, "I was just wondering if you're actually insane, but you really are."

Ian raised his brows at her then just shook his head, "Sure, whatever you say." He then put the rope that fell right beside him in his duffel bag, "Anyway, let's head back."

They avoided the security cameras on the way and arrived at the hotel. They've already booked a room, so they just headed to it directly after changing, or rather only Ian has done that.

Selina's words were exactly, "Just keep the window open." And left, not leaving Ian a chance of asking why the trouble. She has yet to show him her face, perhaps to her, that is the last fortress of her defense.

Ian just sat on the couch and started looking through the things on the couch.

"Ian... I know you like to mess around a lot but please don't screw this up. I will definitely kill myself if that happened, so babe, activate your bullshit power and let luck be on my side."

Perhaps he really is mental, speaking to himself as if speaking to someone else and yet again speaking to his ability... He meant every word he said.

However, it worked, he felt calmer and his hand stopped shaking. He first placed the stones on the table, his gloves were still on.

"Gorgeous little things..." Ian muttered as he took a closer look at them. He knew he couldn't speak their name in fear of the all-hearing superman taking them away from him.

'Kryptonites... Rocks from far away planet, miraculous little object. Too bad the museum only has two types, I remember there are plenty of varieties of kryptonite.'

There were 7 stones before him, five bright green stones and two bright red stones, 'Red and Green Kryptonites, the latter is the one that makes all Krypto people lose their strength... That's what they're called right? Don't remember so whatever.

The red one on the other hand has varying effects, I faintly remember it gives people abilities or adverse effects due to exposure, but it mostly gives them negative effects.'

Ian's eyes shone with a bright light as a brilliant idea surfaced within his mind, or at least in his mind it was brilliant, 'What will happen if I touch it? I won't turn to a dragon, will I? That sounds cool thought...'

And so he did, he touched the thing without a second thought... His power must truly hate him. When he needs to think he does, and he thinks a lot. However, most often than not, he doesn't bother to, thus leading to stupid actions such as these.

He took off his gloves and picked one of the red Kryptonites, engulfing it with both of his hands perhaps to accelerate the process.

'Hmm, nothing is happening... Perhaps it takes time. I will leave it to later th...' He halted his thought process for before him, the red kryptonite disintegrated into dust then into nothingness, "But Why?"

...

Chapter 25: Dead Hell Scroll

...

'Hmm, nothing is happening... Perhaps it takes time. I will leave it to later th...' He halted his thought process for before him, the red kryptonite disintegrated into dust then into nothingness, "But Why?"

Ian stood up and took off his upper clothes, taking a closer at his body, 'I feel the same, nothing changed... Could it be?'

"Babe, did you do this? You fucking bitch." His tone was calm, but he was seething inside, "Wait a minute, I shouldn't come to conclusions too fast, perhaps it just takes time?"

Ian convinced himself it was fine, and ignored the worst-case scenario, "It's fine, something will definitely happen by morning, the stone definitely didn't go to waste."

He opened the other pouch and started placing the pieces of paper on the table, carefully and slowly.

He put his phone by the side and started looking carefully at the picture of those same pieces of paper arranged in a certain way, how they were arranged in the museum, the right way.

He completed the arrangement but the piece has yet to be done. There seem to be some pieces of paper missing, a few more pieces of the puzzle.

'Dead Hell Scroll, quite the exquisite thing, speaks of heaven, not in a good way and speaks of Hell in a worse manner.

It's said that the piece was never completed thus the picture was never whole, in fact, the other pieces were never found.

It was written in ancient greek, but there are several unidentifiable letters, seemingly the combination of two languages, one of which remain unknown.'

Obsession shone within the depths of Ian's eyes, it's was such a fascinating thing to him, 'I know the extent and magicalness of this world, so perhaps... Just perhaps, it's more than it shows.'

The national museum of Metropolis was one of the greatest with plenty of antiques, valuables, and historical items.

The scroll however wasn't too valuable in comparison to other similar things due to a simple reason, scientists research it, and through radiocarbon dating found out its age.

It surprisingly wasn't old despite looking as such, just a few hundred years old while The civilization of Ancient Greece emerged into the light of history in the 8th century BC. Normally it is regarded as coming to an end when Greece fell to the Romans, in 146 BC.

So the timing just doesn't make much sense. It's still considered as a valuable piece of art despite that, just not as valuable as it would've been if it was actually that ancient.

Ian started looking through his phone. This part of the scroll was already fully deciphered, but there are parts of it that make no sense because of the undiscovered pieces.

He read through them again and again as he had done many times before until he was interrupted by the knock on the window.

He frowned only to remember Selina's words, he opened the window for her who was hanging on the wall like a spider, clutching to it with her claws.

"You never remember do you?" Selina complained in annoyance.

"Sorry, I was rather looking forward to this day, so my mind was busy thinking of this than what you said."

That wasn't much of an apology, and Ian wasn't done just yet, "You should honestly just take off your mask instead of going through are the trouble. You know I won't take it seriously."

Selina frowned and just watched him run back to the table and go back to his work, his attention focused solely on those pieces of paper... "But I will take it seriously... That's the problem."

She murmured under her breath, her voice was so low he would've been barely able to hear her if he was next to her let alone now.

She made her way to her room and took off her suit before going to sleep, never in her mind had she doubted he would try to peak on her face, and he didn't.

If she wishes to keep her face hidden so much, then who is he to deny her that... Perhaps he would've if not for the limitations he put on himself in fear of the side effects of his power.

He still has yet to figure out why people become weak when in long contact with him, specifically only intimate contact. For now, his assumption is still life force absorption.

'Heaven and Hell. Moreover, the majority of it is written in greek. It's definitely related to the mythological gods. The puzzle is the unknown letters within, that should paint the whole pictures.'

Ian started doing what he does best, and that's thinking. He knows he isn't smart, but he also knows of his wise nature. What he lacks in cleverness, he makes up for in thoughtfulness.

It's something he loves and appreciates about himself, and he certainly enjoys the process.

Many smart people failed and fell. Many achieved nothing. Yet it's rare for the wise to fall by the hands of others, they most often than not crumble through their own choice.

He also knows he can be wiser, and he can achieve more, but he doesn't bother to. He likes to take things slow and using his mind too much isn't his thing.

However, in situations like this, it's a joy and a rush he can't say no to.

'It's almost as if the writer of the scroll has a grudge against heaven, but hates hell to his core.

The unknown letters seem to be more of a stain to the scroll as if the writer despises both... He looks down not only on the writer but also on what he speaks of.'

Ian started stroking his chin in thoughtfulness, 'A third party was involved. No, the third-party acquired the scroll later and left his touch on it, but why?'

Afterward, Ian started searching for some Sanatic and Sacred rituals to perform on the scroll, anything no matter how outlandish it's, as long as it doesn't destroy the scroll.

There are some he can't do right now due to unavailable resources, but those he can do when he goes back to Gotham.

His obsession didn't allow him to sleep as he remained awake the entire night until he was distracted by something in the morning.

The TV turned on by itself with an intimidating voice reverberating through the room, "You are not alone... My name is General Zod. I come from a world far from yours. I have journeyed across an ocean of stars to reach you..."

The voice stopped as Ian took the TV power off, "What a terrible acting."

His mind simply didn't process what was happening due to his focus on the scroll.

He didn't even think about how the TV turned on by itself nor did give a single thought process to the words.

He simply considered the voice terrible acting because it interrupted him, and thus he continued with his most precious work...

54