Brunch Time
487 6 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

All the best conversations happen over lunch, but in the current case, you have two socially awkward scientists busy with their own things as their soups and sandwiches are left forgotten.

 

I’ve been looking into a research paper by Professor Oak about the standards by which to define pokémon strength and growth. It’s less of an official document and more of his many hypotheses on how pokémon can grow. The strange fact is that a good portion of his evidence is from Ash Ketchum himself.

 

Yeah, that guy.

 

He goes on about how not just strategizing and training increases pokémon proficiency, but meaningful life experiences and winning battles help as well. Training can only increase a pokémon’s battle potential so much but giving them creative experiences in which to grow may be beneficial to battling.

 

There’s also a section that he prefaces has almost zero evidence other than personal observation, but he notes that pokémon that defeat their opponents in battle appear to grow stronger at a faster rate. He thought that it was simply their battling instincts being honed, but he observed that a pokémon that only battled a pokémon, but was then switched out, grew about the same amount as the pokémon that defeated the opponent.

 

He also notes that this strange attribute doesn’t take place when the opponent forfeits. It must be a defeat.

 

If, by any stretch of the imagination, that’s true, then my team must be seriously underpowered given by how many battles we’ve won by forfeit.

 

Looking up, I see Cecilia giving Gwen a piggyback ride as they float around. The Ralts is attempting to hum the same buzzing that Cecilia makes when she does Attack Order, and she’s pointing her arm forward.

 

Oh, the Vespiquen is now a flying chariot. Joy.

 

There’s also Courtney who appears to be looking at something on her phone. I have a few conversations I want to have with her, but the reality-shattering revelations of them will have to wait.

 

“Courtney, I feel like I should ask what you’re doing.”

 

Without looking up, she responds, “Curating your online presence.”

 

I pause my perusing of documents and focus on her. “Excuse me?” She doesn’t stop tapping away on her phone as she continues to talk.

 

“I’m attempting to solve multiple problems at the same time. You left your phone unlocked last night, and I saw the list of girls you’re thinking about seducing. Personally, I would add a few to it like my Team Aqua counterpart—Shelly. Currently, I’m going through your online profile.”

 

I move my chair closer to her around this circular table. “And?”

 

“And it’s a rough start. You follow every girl on your list who has an account, but you never comment on anything, nor do you ever post on your own profile. I think, if you become more active on your account with your recent activities, you could gain more online influence and attract attention from the…wealthier types.”

 

She looks up for the first time, staring me down in an almost mocking way. “Like Cynthia or Lusamine.”

 

I look down at her phone, seeing her blitz through profile after profile. She’s copying down from their page and comments into a separate text document. She’s…making this more analytical than I thought my relationships would be.

 

I look back towards Cecilia and Gwen. Gwen is almost the same height as Cecilia, but she’s flying as though she’s barely exhausted. “Alright, I have an idea.”

 

Courtney hums in response, not really caring. It’s just as long as I do something. I pull out my phone and snap a picture of my two pokémon, capturing the red glint in Gwen’s eyes.

 

Now… What to caption it?

 

‘New Ralts just born! She’s so big!’ No, that’s…not like me. Plus, some will just say it’s fake or something.

 

‘Caught a new Ralts yesterday! I’m so lucky!’ No. No. People might take that as bragging…

 

Ah! I know! I type out, ‘My lovely Vespiquen and Ralts are playing together today!’

 

Yeah, that’s seems nice and neutral. Let’s post it!

 

Courtney’s phone pings. Almost feeling the pain as she squints at her phone, then proceeds to look up at me with disbelief. She opens and closes her mouth repeatedly, debating saying something, anything to lessen or worsen this sinking feeling in my heart.

 

Ultimately, she decides for naught. I am a lost cause that should not be worked upon for there is no potential with which to work.

 

Or that’s what I think that’s the emotional rollercoaster she’s going through because I sure am!

 

“Onto other topics,” she bluntly shifts subjects. “What are our—meaning your—plans? I’m sure you want to meet with Serena again, but there’s…Ash.” She says his name with the same derision I feel every time I see that happy-go-lucky fellow that can somehow do no wrong and get out of every situation…unscathed.

 

“Well, I think most of our work in Shalour is done. The road heads back to Lumiose where we can work for a bit. We can stay at my home while we’re there, meet with Sycamore, and do other things. I could challenge the Gym Leader, but I kind of want to fight Clemont himself and not the robot he put in charge.”

 

“Sounds good. I can meet with and contact some former associates while we’re there.”

 

Like struck by lightning, I suddenly sit ramrod straight as I remember the cave. “I’ll probably still have to make day trips back here. There’s a fascinating cave I’m studying, so I’ll probably head back from time to time.”

 

“Okay,” she replies. “Be safe, I guess.”

Hey, check it out! We've upgraded from monologues about what's coming next to dialogue!

Thanks for reading and Happy New Year!

18