Fixing Other People’s Problems
427 3 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Any doubts lingering in my mind about the possibility of interdimensional travel are easily squashed as I walk through this forest. With how rare blue is in nature, I find it strange to have a forest full of blue-leaved trees. It could also be the lime sky that killed my doubts. It could be a combination of both, but I don’t really care what did.

 

Anyway, as I’ve been collecting multitudes of samples, much to Gwen’s chagrin, I’ve slowly been edging towards the sound of battle in the distance while keeping an eye on my dimensional stability. My calculations still hold up that I need to get back before sundown, but I don’t want to be surprised by a sudden drop in stability.

 

Even from a distance, I can see the perpetrators of the battle noises. It’s Ash and Serena…but I know this isn’t the Serena I know. She less…endowed in the bust area, and she has almost a perpetual scowl. Her Fennekin is different, too. It’s not the sweetie I knew back at the lab. This one is…aggressive.

 

This Serena is confident, too, making it extremely likely that she’s from this world. If I could get close enough, I could confirm it, but so far, this Serena is almost the direct opposite to the one I know.

 

That implies that this world’s version of Ash should be a timid weak one, but the Ash battling Serena is…the bold and brash one I’m familiar with except for the missing Pikachu.

 

After recalling Gwen, I dive into the tree line, above the branches to hide my presence as I sneak around.

 

I pass by Bonnie and Clemont, overhearing parts of their conversation. “Brother dear, do you think this battle is necessary?”

 

He scratches his chin. “I’m not sure, but I could probably cast a spell to confirm that this isn’t our Ash.”

 

“Don’t you know Serena doesn’t believe your spells?”

 

Clemont sags into thought. “…I know.”

 

So, this Bonnie is respectful towards Clemont, and the man in question uses magic instead of technology. Given the track record, this Clemont’s “spells” are probably more effective than my Clemont’s inventions. Though…it’s possible he could be channeling Fairy type energies. That stuff is essentially magic.

 

Continuing my rummage into the forest, I come across my prize. An Ash hiding behind a bush with a calm, collected Pikachu. I’m guessing that this Ash somehow opened the portal in the cave and stole my Ash’s Pikachu. My Ash, not being one for critical thought, chased after him without a second thought.

 

…And since this Serena seems to be a disbeliever…she thinks that my Ash is making up the fact that he’s not her Ash.

 

Arceus, this is confusing…

 

Oh well, let’s put an end to this charade.

 

I slowly descend upon Ash. Pikachu notices me first and was about to make a noise before I put my finger on my lips. Pikachu nods, and I swing an Octillery Arm onto Ash, clamping down on his chest and pushing him out of the trees. In his struggling, he lets go of Pikachu, who I let climb onto another arm and up to my shoulder.

 

“Well everyone, while I’m slightly curious to see who wins the battle of confident Serena versus bold Ash, I think it’s best if we speed things along,” I announce as I exit the trees, following the Ash I’m pushing forward.

 

“Nicole!” Ash shouts in…excitement? Then he looks at my shoulder. “Pikachu!” Okay, yeah, there’s a notable difference in enthusiasm here. Slightly rolling my eyes, I move an arm over so Pikachu can run directly to Ash. “I missed you, buddy!” As Ash embraces Pikachu with slight spins, I turn to the alternate versions of the others.

 

I lightly chuck the wimpy Ash at Serena. He started crying from the pain and surprise. “I found your Ash. You’re welcome,” I say with slight contempt for the more annoying Ash.

 

“There’s two Ash’s!” Bonnie says, but that’s about as much attention as I bother to afford her. Right now, Serena is glaring daggers into and through me. I don’t really care that much though, and busy myself with massaging a knot out of my shoulder.

 

“Who are you?!” Serena points at me with such an accusatory tone.

 

I continue rubbing my shoulder. “Well” —I look over at Clemont— “based off current evidence, you might know me as an opposite. I’m Nicole Bellerose. The me of this place might be a sorcerer like Clemont over there, but since he seems adept at it, then the me wouldn’t. Clemont, do you know who I am?”

 

He shakes his head. “I’m sorry. I don’t know who you are.”

 

I stop rubbing my shoulder and frown. “Really? We’ve known each other for quite some time in my world. It’d amaze me even if you don’t have an inkling of knowledge of me.”

 

He shrugs. I look at the ground, specifically, at a puddle of water. My reflection staring back at me. “Perhaps my opposite just isn’t notable enough to form the rivalry with Clemont here or…” I keep staring at the reflection in the puddle. I didn’t have one in the caves. “I don’t exist here.”

 

It’s possible, but highly unlikely seeing as everyone so far has their mirrored self. I must investigate further into this.

 

Seeing as I had gone silent, Ash speaks up. “So, other me, why did you take my Pikachu?”

 

Timid Ash whimpers slightly before answering. “Pikachu and I went into the caves, but we got separated. I was really wishing to see him again when I saw your Pikachu on your shoulder in the mirror, and I grabbed at it.”

 

He wished to see Pikachu and the portal opened, huh? Fairy energies are essentially built upon pokémon wishes, and if that opened the portal, I don’t see why Ash’s wishing couldn’t…though there is the whole pokémon-energy-is-much-more-powerful-than-humans thing.

 

Brash Ash responds, “What do you think happened to your Pikachu?”

 

“I-I-I don’t know!” Ash breaks down on the ground in tears, and I barely resist the urge to roll my eyes.

 

I approach, flipping myself onto my side just for the enjoyment of it. “Hey, Crying Ash, just hedging a guess here, but I might assume that Team Rocket took your Pikachu since they’re responsible for 90% of this Ash’s Pikachu disappearances.”

 

He doesn’t stop crying, but Serena interrupts. “Yeah, I got a problem with your theory. Team Rocket wouldn’t do that because they’re defenders of justice. Why would they do that?”

 

I’m losing braincells by the second here. “I could name several reasons. They build up a hero persona to make a disguise for their criminal actions. What’s more likely is that they’re from my world, meaning that they are the full-blown criminals I know them to be. The same people who practically try to take my Ash’s Pikachu every time I see them, and the same people who blew up my arm!”

 

I pause, breathing heavily, as I stare at the slightly terrified face of this Serena; her confidence shaken. It appears that with her increase in confidence, there was a decrease in intelligence. Continuing, I calmly say, “Perhaps they came across the same cave, and their wish to capture Pikachu led them here.”

 

Clemont, after processing this entire conversation, finally speaks up. “Then, I can find our Ash’s Pikachu with a spell.” He pauses, glancing at me. What is he expecting me to berate him, or something?

 

I wave him off. “Given my hypothesis, I’m assuming you’re proficient in magic, so go ahead. I won’t do anything.”

 

Nodding, he begins drawing circles in the sand with chords drawn throughout. The concentric circles and lines look a little sketchy, but I’m putting off judgement for the time being.

 

He stands up his wooden staff in the center. “NOW!” He shouts, letting go. The staff falls, pointing northeast. “That way! We’ll find Pikachu over there!” He points alongside the staff to the northeast.

 

I feel my eye involuntarily twitch, and I fail to resist the urge to go above the trees. Checking out the northeast, I can see slight flashes of light near a cliff. By Arceus, he was right!

 

I come back down. “Yeah, there’s flashes in that direction.” I look at each of them and mark the time. We have to get back soon. I could just take Ash and abandon them to their mission…but my Serena…and this Ash…URGH!

 

I wrap each one in an arm—looping one around both Ashes—and make a mad dash into the forest.

 

“Woah! What’s with the—?” Ash attempts to question me.

 

“Ash! We need to get back home by sundown, or we’ll be stuck here. Since we’re going on this quest, time is of the essence!”

 

“That’s what I forgot!” I hear Clemont exclaim, and I almost crush his chest cavity. Almost…

 

———————————————————————————————————————

 

We come to the cliff, finding a rabid Pikachu in some clawed sphere. “”Pikachu!!!”” Both Ashes shout in unison.

 

“Wait, who are those guys?” Serena asks, pointing at Team Rocket. I thought she said they existed here?

 

“Prepare for trouble!”

 

“Make it double!”

 

No. I’m already pissed without them making a show of this. Releasing everyone, I twine up the arms, driving it into the cliff and removing the lower part of the edge Team Rocket is standing on.

 

Before they can say the next line, they’re falling. With my arms still in reach, I grab the angry Pikachu, and swipe Team Rocket into the falling rockets, hopefully cracking a rib or five.

 

I gently give Timid Ash his Pikachu, cracking the cage but leaving the pokémon unharmed.

 

“So, it’s gonna be like that?!” James shouts.

 

I wave my stump at them. “I don’t know! I think I have enough reason to be pissed on sight with you guys!”

 

James throws a pokéball. “Okay, Inkay! Use Psybeam!”

 

Jessie throws one, too. “Pumpkaboo~! Use Shadow Ball!”

 

Effortlessly, I block the Psybeam with an arm and swipe the Shadow Ball away with another.

 

Meowth and Wobbuffet peek over the cliff. “Hey, guys, are we—?”

 

He pauses, seeing that we’re already in battle. I pick up a nearby rock that’s about as large as Meowth and lightly chuck it near him.

 

“Wha!!” He jumps back, finding the rock land slightly to his right.

 

“Okay, that’s it! The claws are coming out!” He jumps down with Wobbuffet. Landing deftly near Jessie and James.

 

Meanwhile, Ash and Ash have been having a moment, and both are now ready for battle. “”Pikachu! Thunderbolt!”” The two Pikachu both release a torrent of lightning at the interlopers, sending them all flying.

 

I turn back to everyone, glancing at the setting sun. “Okay, we’re not getting time to breathe. Ash and I need to head back to our world, now!”

 

———————————————————————————————————————

 

Finally at the mirror again, I call out Gwen. “Hey, sorry to bother you, can you open up the portal again?”

 

She nods guiding her Misty Terrain into the mirror. However, unlike the simple step through the portal like last time. There’s…space between the corresponding portals. It’s more of a corridor now.

 

“Ash!” I hear Serena shout. “And Nicole?”

 

“Guys!” Ash takes a running leap into the mirror, finding that inertia is not helping him as he slowly stops in the middle, between dimensions.

 

“I can’t believe he’s survived this long,” I mumble. I grab onto the edge of the mirror, anchoring myself to at least one world, then venturing into the expanse. Luckily, my arms are long enough to reach the original world at the halfway point, meaning I grab Ash as well and easily climb back home.

 

I smile at the shocked Serena, Bonnie, and Clemont while ignoring Ash. “Hey, guys. It’s been a crazy day.”

I don't have anything to say today.

Thanks for reading!

19