Chapter 1: What a Dumb Way to Die
1.5k 5 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Guide:

' ' == thought speech 

" " == audible/normal speech

no " " or ' ' == narration

>> << == POV

[Flashback], [/Flashback] == Flashback

... == change scene/time skip

* * == Onomatopea/sound description.

..

In a single pretty average room, an attractive teenager was exhibiting groaning noises. Small rugged gruff was escaping his throat. He was sweating profusely, gradually painting his face red.

He was starting to feel tired evident from his expression, showing signs of fatigue.

"Ugh argh"

He was currently experiencing a life and death situation like a protagonist destined to face hurdles. After some dramatic and unforeseen situation, coming out on top, awakening an ultimate bloodline seemingly prepared toward successful conquest.

That is how most main-stream shounen protagonists are likely to be portrayed.

'How stupid can I be? I should not have thought about doing this in the first place'

However, contrary to what you expected, he was glued in a pretty awkward situation, with no power up nor energy boosts, sadly, none of that.

He was at the moment facing the consequences of his action.

Because he has unfortunately met two abominations which usually were innocuous, brought him to this current circumstance.

...

About an hour ago.

>> MC POV <<

We were on our way home after my high school graduation ceremony. Entering our house, I was merrily humming.

'I'd be soon going to college. One more set and I will finally finish my studies, find work and earn my own money'

 

On entrance, my mom following behind me suddenly burst out.

 

"Why can't you take that first place?!"

 

My mother is a slightly attractive woman with long black hair

and charming brown eyes. She had healthy pale skin and an enticing figure. Standing at 5.4 ft., she was wearing a pretty black dress.

 

(A/N: I won't go into further details. I honestly do not know how fashion should be. Also, I am too stupid to put on more descriptive writing)

 

'Uwah. Is she about to...-' My thoughts were interrupted

 

"That bitch. Why was she so fortunate to have such a capable and smart daughter."

She was referring to her long-time friend. They had a bit of history.

"Why can't you be?!" She said with a hint of frustration and embarrassment.

"Why did we give birth to such a stupid son like you?!"

 

She was now shouting, growling, venting all her frustrations at me.  

 

As I heard that, I had a flash of memories flooding in.

I remembered those moments when she was constantly pointing out how useless I was. Various demeaning words left her mouth. She was raging, finding fault as I was not up to her expectations.

 

*Snap*

 

Facing her, I took a deep breath and called out to her.

 

"Mom, first of all, I am immensely grateful to you and dad for giving birth to me okay?"

 

"Yeah, you are right. I am stupid. Well, I am not remotely that far off against my genes, am I?" Shrugging my shoulders off, I calmly said with a bit of sarcasm.

 

"?!!"

 

She opened her eyes widely, surprised because it was the first time she heard her son talk back.

 

Then, a realization hit her.

 

"Are you trying to say that I'm stupid?!" She shouted, angered by what her son indicated.

 

"Are you not smart then to have figured that out?" She was getting on my nerves.

 

*Slap*

Loud slapping noise was heard, which brought silence to the atmosphere as if nature was awed by it.

"Y-You don't have the right to say that to me! You don't know what *sob* I've been through in life JUST *sob* to put food on the table and pay the bills. " She was sobbing between her speech.

 

"Yeah? How would I know about it if I was not with you then? Would you have brought me to your work?"

"Right? I obviously would not know!" I was being a smart-ass and shouted at the end of my reply.

 

*Slap Slap*

Another two big slaps were delivered at me, creating two plain red hand marks on my cheeks.

'Damn, that hurts. I wanted to retaliate. Luckily, I have patience as high as Mt. Thai' I jokingly thought to defuse a bit of my irritation.

Pondering about all those memes for Chinese Cultivation novels,

"Heh" A chuckle left my mouth.

 

After a while, I composed myself, my eyes becoming lucid.

 

"W-What?", she was flustered, surprised at my condition.

 

"You know what mom, as much as I am grateful to you for birthing me, my disappointment to this life I owed to you is more than that, with the way you are always degrading me."

 

"I… I only wanted my efforts to be acknowledged for a bit. Can you appreciate me a little?"

 

"I-I…", She didn't know what to say.

"I'm sorry… I"

 

I cut her off

 

"I guess, no matter what I achieve, it would not amount to anything in your eyes. It hurts, but it is what it is." Tears were threatening to fall in my eyes. I was emotionally hurt.

 

I slowly turn away from her.

 

>> 3rd POV <<

She was staring at his back as he saw him walk away. Noticing the hint of sadness he was emitting, she felt remorseful. Guilt slowly crept into her heart.

 

She was left there, stunned, staring at his departing figure, downright overwhelmed with mixed emotions.

 

>> MC POV <<

On the way to my room, I found a thick rope on the table that I absentmindedly took.

 

I was so depressed, thinking subconsciously about ending this life.

 

I was eager to find ease within this creeping sadness. It was slowly turning unbearable.

My mind went completely blank.

 

In my negligence, I did not expect that I was laying down my grave that would be remembered as the day I had my greatest regret.

 

I was currently standing at the chair, my head placed inside the make-shift ring of the rope. I was slowly made aware of my current situation.

Contemplating, I was unceasingly throwing questions to no one in particular, which fueled the doubts I felt over the decisions I have made in life.

 

'How would I live if I have not been limiting myself? If I had not refused people who are kind enough to invite me to go chill out and have fun.'

 

'Heck, I did not even have someone I could call my friend. I should not have isolated myself. I could have had somebody to talk to now.'

 

As I thought about that, an image of a certain auburn-haired girl flashed in my mind.

'I wonder what she was doing now'

Then I realized, at this moment of weakness,

'I think I have someone I can call a friend? Or Maybe... not?' 

I was confused about our relationship.

 

'Heh, I wonder if she treats me as a friend'

I remembered the day, that time the both of us became close to each other.

'She isn't a friend but someone more special to me, I guess.' My heart thumped as I thought about her.

 

... 

[Flashback]

>> 3rd POV << 

In a dim part of the park, teeming with gloomy atmosphere, sitting on a grassy

area, chilling out, was a young man with unkempt black hair, an attractive face

with lean body muscles, not bulky but enough to be called a hunk. 

He has brown eyes, wearing black-rimmed round glasses which suit him perfectly.

 

Anybody would have mistaken him for someone relaxing.

However, that downcast air in his countenance suggests otherwise.

There was a red hand mark on his cheeks. 

 

"Sigh"

 

'I should be happy in this case after getting that Second High Honors award but

damn, that woman had always been ahead of me.'

 

'Could she not like take a rest and let me be first for

once?.'

 

Seemingly annoyed, he touched his face, rubbing it, feeling the burning sensation on his cheeks.

 

'Man, my mother had always been a bit-... Oops, language. I am sorry about that. I

love you okay?'

 

'No incest tho.'

 

'Nobody would love a bit- I mean a choosy, overly reactive, and unreasonable woman like you. Kekeke.' He was chuckling at his thoughts dissing his lovely mother.

 

Suddenly, an image of his father came to his mind.

 

'Ooh, I guess she had someone, huh? But he is a bit pussy tho. Kekeke.' Another

chuckle left his mouth when recalling his not-so-inconsistent type of character.

 

"Heh"

 

He stood up, planning to go home, feeling the cold night wind brushing his face,

thinking about his father.

 

'Is he...'

 He imagined him wearing a cute maid outfit... -

 

'Ew. What kind of abomination is that?!' 

 He wanted to bleach his mind right now. 

 

Walking back home, he passed into an alley.

 

"Kekeke hahahahaha." He was laughing at his previous thoughts.

 

"…elp" 

 

He stopped hearing a faintly familiar voice.

 

"Somebody… H-help"

'Is this…' He was brought out of his stupor when he heard a girl moaning. 

 

He stilled his looks, took his pen from his bag, held it in a reverse grip, and

hid it in his arm.

 

He cautiously walked into that alley, tensed by the situation.

 

"Ahh ahh" 

 

But when he went and faced what he expected to be the case, he found a girl

sprawling on the ground.

 

She was cascading, releasing pukes, producing a rather disturbing smell. 

 

"What the hell?!" He was dumbfounded.

 

'What was all that tension for!' He grumbled in his mind and went to check on her.

 

The girl, for a moment, was shocked to see someone familiar but quickly composed

herself. 

 

"Will you quit staring at my gorgeous self and do something quickly?!"

She mustered all her strength as she pleaded, breathing roughly but still

saying in a narcissistic tone.

 

"I… Okay."

 

He was pissed and instantly turned around.

 

He was not heartless as he was planning to help her. 

However, he was too petty to annoy her for a bit to get back at her for showing him that snobbish attitude.

 

As he walks away, he felt a hand grabbing his foot. 

 

"I'm sorry… okay?"

 

"Please bring me ho-..." She begged as it was the last thing he heard before she passed out.

 

He looked at her carefully. 

She had a funny face, looked haggard, drooling, and a pungent smell was coming from that sticky goo littered the ground and some on her clothes. 

 

Then he moves to put her in his hands in a princess carry. He

went at it as gently as possible.

 

He did not place her on his back because she might put some drool on his shirt and

slowly walk to her address.

 

"Damn, I am too lucky, aren't I?" 

 

"Saving a damsel in distress then, what's next?"

 

"Getting close?"

"Friendship?"

"Budding romance?"

"Hahaha"

 

He knew this girl.

 

'She was the one I should hate and be jealous of because she was always ahead of me.'

 

"There is no way I would have that kind of feelings towards my rival."

 

"Right?"

He added, doubting himself.

 

Looking at her adorable and defenseless face, he realized that hating and envying this

girl is useless. 

It would not make a difference.

 

She had long auburn hair, slightly long eyelashes, a pointy nose, and perfectly

formed lips. Her protruding canine tooth added to her cuteness. 

She is 5.3 ft. tall and has a slim figure and a humble chest. 

A wild cute beauty. 

 

Technically, she did not do anything wrong to him.

She did help him. 

They had a long rivalry history, starting from elementary to high school. 

Her existence was constantly edging him to strive for more and push harder. 

He had become more ambitious; to reach the expectation of his mother. 

 

'Was I not putting enough effort?' He asked himself as he was comparing their

differences.

 

 

Fifteen minutes later, they arrived at her home.

He rang the intercom.

 

"Give me a second" He heard an enchanting voice of a lady coming from the other side of the door.

 

Seconds later, he heard the door opening, and what he saw was a slightly identical but a bit more aged form of the girl he was carrying. 

 

She was the mother of Erica.

 

"Oh my!" She said mischievously, clearly misunderstanding the situation.

 

"Good evening. I hate to break your fantasies, but your daughter seems sick."

 

"I found her in the alley near Corona Park on my way home." 

 

He was hesitating for a second but went on nonetheless.

 

"I think she had the runs." He said without regard for delicacy. 

She narrowed her eyes at what he said.

He immediately changed his approach as he realized he was being rude. 

"I was planning to bring her to the hospital, but she insisted." He said with

a hint of concern wanting to earn brownie points from her mother.

 

" "

He lied. 

He did not plan for it.

He was a good actor. 

Her face paled as she heard that. 

A visible worried expression plastered on her face. 

 

She pleaded, 

"Can you please help me carry my daughter to her room?"

 

He nodded. 

 

He went inside their house and carried Erica to her room.

As he went inside, he noticed many cute panda plushy decorating her room. 

 

'I see...'

He concluded that personality and the room are remotely proportional.

 

He brought her down on her bed. 

 

"I brought some meds and some rehydration drink.

Please, do check it out if it is the right one.

I brought them for later use, but it appears she badly needed it right now."

 

She went to check it out, and it was indeed the right meds for diarrhea. 

She receives it.

 

When he was about to leave, she came up to him and bowed her head.

 

"Thank you for bringing my daughter safe and sound Mr?"

She said while tilting her head. 

 

In truth, she knew him.

After all, she was always there for her daughter at school awarding ceremonies.

He was always next to her when receiving awards on stage.

 

'Uwah. The Apple doesn't fall far from the tree, it seems'. 

He mentally added. 

 

"Shin...

Shin Ra Tensei." He introduced himself as he bowed.

 

"I'm Erica's classmate. Future mother-in-law." He added mischievously.

 

"Oh? Aren't you pretty daring? Ufufu."

She was slightly propelled, amused not by his name but by how bold he acted.

 

"Hehe"

He grinned naughtily. 

 

He then went his way, leaving their home.. 

 

Days passed. One thing led to another. She wanted to thank him, so they went out,

got acquainted, and become progressively closer.

They often talk to each other, helping one another, especially in their studies, and

so on. 

 

[/Flashback]

Presently,

>> MC POV << 

Remembering those times brought pleasant emotions to me.

She had a good family. 

Her mother was so kind. 

I also have a good family, only if we forget how eccentric they are. 

I mean, my dad is a joke. Always drinking and stuff. Sometimes, returning late at night drunk, however, anyone would not expect his duality.

He appears to be a strong, condensing, charismatic individual.

A total badass at night. What is slightly off-putting is that throughout broad daylight, he acts soft and delicate like a pretty young girl.

I find it weird because if you look at him, you would see bulky, toned muscles all over his body; A high-class body-builder figure.

My mother, on the other hand, "Sigh"

The thought of her made me all depressed again. 

My mom was like the alpha in our home.

She wants this, wants that. 

She was a perfectionist. 

An extremely upright woman. 

She wanted quality work, to be on top of others, and always be on trend.

I believe she had a marketing company, accumulating more than half-million dollar USD gross capital annually. 

She had very high expectations of me. At first, I was alright with her. 

Growing up, she was progressively putting more pressure on me. 

Until that time in grade six, a transfer student took away my privilege of being on top. 

When my mother discovered that, she started treating me harshly. 

But I could not bring myself to genuinely hate her. I was aware after all that I am blessed financially.

I just wanted rebel a little.

So, during those times, I found comfort in watching anime, reading novels, games, and all sorts of entertainment.

I was brought out of my inner monologue as I remember today was the day the novel: 

"My Three Wives Are Beautiful Vampires" is to have a mass release.

All negative thoughts were left behind. 

I took my phone from my pocket and found a new discord notification. 

In my excitement, I did not fix my position; my head was still on the ring. Anticipation was building up. But then, shortly, I slumped down when I read that the author got hospitalized after passing out writing his stuff. 

I was at chapter 424. 

'I guess I had to wait.

Ugh, the delay is killing me.' I thought with dismay.

...

>> 3rd POV <<

What he did not expect was that he was jinxing himself. 

Those days his mother pressuring him to learn self-defense and some martial arts privately enabled him to gain spatial awareness.

He was slumping out, turning back to his earlier depression.

He did not notice a bit large huntsman spider crawling at the ceiling coming after a flying cockroach. It was moving crescively in his direction.

*Bzzzt Bzzt*  

*Katsak Katsak Katsak*

His mind was led out of a daze when he noticed crawling and buzzing noises. 

"Argh!!!"

He was too surprised as he tripped and fell, hanging with the rope firmly tied to his neck.

*Ahck* 

*Keuckk*

He was left struggling for seconds. 

However, thirty-three seconds later, he heard the door opening and found his father on the other side. 

He was delighted but short-lived.  

Hope was lost as he began to feel discouraged.

"Hiiiiihhh" 

He heard his father shriek when he saw the cockroach flying toward him. 

He even forgot the pain for a second as he watched him getting flustered by a fucking cockroach, even though having that exaggerated full-body muscle was so cringe. 

"Kheukheukhe"

He chuckled as he was suffocating, finding this situation too hilarious.

Almost forgetting about his grievances towards them.

He couldn't get mad at his father at all. 

Who would be? When you see a big man wheezing, seemingly horrified as if he had seen his worst nightmare. 

Others would have thought he was traumatized by seeing his son's suicide. 

But he knew and was a witness; His father ironically produced a comedic scene.

'Hehe'

Chuckling at this mess, he slowly started to feel dazed as his strength burned out. 

'I was done in by a spider.' 

'Too bad. I couldn't become spiderman.' Were his last thoughts before he blacked out.

...

23