Chapter 6 – What a Surprise?!
498 6 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

When it comes to Henrich, no thinking person wise enough to restrain his passions, and that passion as of the moment is to fawn over my letter that I didn't even write.

"My lord! Truly magnificent, this letter is!" Henrich fervently said as he holds the letter with extreme care like it was a sacred art after he sent the poor scribe away without gratitude.

For nearly an hour, we've been arguing about who should write the letter. I even finished stamping the documents, except for the marriage proposals, and yet our argument hasn't come to an end. Ultimately, once and again, I couldn't win against his overbearing stance, so I have no choice but to let the scribe write my letter. 

Well, I don't care anymore. For the time being, I'll just hide it for safekeeping.

I pulled another drawer of my desk and took out a miniature chest. This is where I put the things that matter to me: the toy slingshot that my grandfather gave me, an intricate key with a carved emblem of the kingdom on it, a happy birthday note with doodles scribbled in(I decided long ago not to give this to my mother since she'll go hysterical), and a ring with a bizarre stone in the middle. I took out the ring and put the chest back in the drawer.

My grandmother said that the bearer of this ring would grant its wish. If you so much as wish for anything with great zeal and tremendous will, your wish will be granted. She said it granted hers. I'm curious as to know what wish it was to cause her to will it severely.

"My lord! You haven't take a gander yet. Look!" As I was putting the ring in my pocket, Henrich presents the letter in front of my face too close and too sudden that I can only widen my eyes as a response. I squinted my eyes after a moment to read the contents of the letter.

Spoiler

[collapse]

Dearest Lady Catrice, 

For the presents so wonderful that nothing could be more so, I thank you most cordially. I assure you, on my part, I will surpass your favour and kindness rather than make it reciprocal, the loyalty of my heart and a desire to please you can accomplish this. It grieves me sorely that I cannot be personally present with you the token of my appreciation, a gift passed down from many generations of House Neville. No more to you at this time, but only a wish for your health and a prayer for us to be together and see one another.

Sincerely, 

Your fiance, Leander

 

"Truly wonderful! You think so too, my lord?"

"Hmmm... but there's a mistake there at the last part. It should be Sincerely or Sincerely yours and erase your fiance. "

"Oh? As expected of my lord! We could also write Your fiance and cross out that Sincerely. What do you think?"

"Hmmm…….WAAAIIIT!"

Oi! You must be kidding me! This letter gives me the shivers! No, no, not that. This isn't a letter. It's more like a page of a storybook—with all that design and penmanship! And what's with this content?! It's like I'm writing a letter to a lover!

"Henrich! Are you taking me for a fool? I cannot send this to Lady Catrice, can I?! She would think of me a silly lad!" 

"Whatever you mean, my lord? The Lady wouldn't think of you as such! Surely not, the Lady would only think of you a romantic and lovely fiance." 

I think we are not on the same page here, and oh, the irony wasn't lost on me.

"L-lovel—That is not what I meant! ...well, not entirely, but yes, that too… it's just…… Do you write letters this way?" 

I'm quite confused right now that I'm thoroughly lost. I don't even know what I'm saying! Whenever we reached this kind of absurd misunderstanding and knowing he's going to be on a different page until the end, my puny brain would quickly wither.

"How could I write something so sweet and precious towards a fellow priest? If it's the other, they will condemn me if I were to write something like 'a desire to please you' to a nun! They would burn me alive!" 

Henrich said with a flabbergasted look on his face. He stared at me as if I had grown horns. 

Heavens! Forget about a different page. He's entirely in a different book! Why do I have to put up with his ridiculous nonsense again? Someone, please save me from this folly!

"What my Lord meant to tell you do you write letters in this kind of handwriting? And why on a page of a book?" All of a sudden, Alfons crept up between us and spoke as if he had been part of the conversation. 

What great perception! If this were in my past life, I would outright hug Alfons with a pat in the back. But no, not this time. It is deemed as highly unthinkable when a lord embraces a butler, unless under some dire circumstances…… or something else entirely.

"Oh? Is that so, my lord? You should have said so in the first place!" Henrich shakes his head as he said this, and I could only stare at him in disbelief before he continues, "Scribes trained to write in this manner. I, on the other hand, have flexible handwriting, so I write in any way I want. But don't you think this penmanship is superb!..."

I tuned out after that. Whenever he starts talking about his hobbies, I would not hear the end of it. That's why I always avoided this man. He didn't even realise I stood up to make my way towards the lounge chair. I took a seat and wait for Alfons to prepare my tea.

"What happened to the servant?" I asked Alfons after I contentedly sipped the tea he served. 

"I did as you told, my Lord. I put him somewhere adequate." Alfons made a faintly bleak tone on that last part, and it sounded quite eerie. I probably shouldn't question him further, but I’m dying to know where he put the guy. I could only hope that the poor servant isn't in harm's way. Since the time of my accident, Alfons has been acting out of character. 

"Is this tea from House Cavanagh?"

"I'm afraid not, my Lord. Before I came here, I let some servants took all the tea boxes to the pantry and having them taste testing the tea one by one. It would take some time to finish, perhaps about a week."

"...... I see...finish..." I could only hope that by the end of the week, they wouldn't leave it all empty.

As I was sipping tea, Alfons lifted the lid from the platter that was placed at the centre of the table. It was filled with a mouthwatering selection of tea cakes that drool nearly escape my mouth. The matters with the tea flew out of my mind as I stared intently at the variety.

Right after I laid eyes on the last treat on the platter, I dare say that the old Lian took over my body as my hand instantaneously thrust out to grab the scones from the platter and stuff it in my mouth. 

"Aphbosh, wompyopeshnucksompmodchokoms!"

"..........As you wish, my Lord."

"Nomnomnom"

"...... My Lord, Should I collect the tray off as well?" 

I nodded vigorously at him. I was genuinely astounded that not only could Alfons fathom what I'm struggling to say, he also suggested a solution to my current predicament!

His perception is outstanding. He could perceive something before it even happens. When he trains(butlers trained to fight too), no one could ever land a hit on him, including me. It was like he could predict seconds or so into the future.

I sigh a relief after he pushed off the food cart with those vicious treats outside the door. I might need to exercise away the food that I accumulated later on. I do hope that I wouldn't need to wear a straitjacket for a meal next time.

And speaking of meals...

"Alfons! Let's get downstairs and see what my mother has been up to," I said as a shot from my seat nearly forgotten that Mother's helping with the preparations. 

"My lord?! When did you get there?!" Henrich has only realised that I'm no longer at my desk. I could also see that he was still fawning over my letter.

"Henrich, I'll let you choose whether to keep the letter or burn it and get half of all the papers here in my study. So which is it?" 

My proposition is too tempting, also since he's so fond of pages, that he surely wouldn't hesitate to choose the latter. 

What he did next never failed to amaze me. I have only seen him work his sorcery a few times before. Only a few priests could achieve this kind of feat, yet I always forgot that Henrich is one of them. 

Henrich was emitting a beautiful blue flame in his palm. It's soothing to the eyes, yet I know for a truth that it's scorching hot. 

"Oh, wait, wait! My lord, I have a new wand! I'll use it instead and see how it is." Henrich excitedly said as he puts out his flame and fetches his wand from his robe.  He points the tip at the bottom of the letter and light it ablaze. The fire the tip was releasing was like that of a candle's tiny flame.

"So my lord, a promise is a promise!" Henrich said as he was obsessing over the new item—the stack of sheets. 

My awe was short-lived in witnessing his tomfoolery. This is what I meant. I always forgot his impressiveness for the way he acts. I paid no mind to him and started to head downstairs with Alfons trailing behind me.

This castle is so vast that it took us about 20 minutes to arrive at the dining hall by speed walking. By the time I neared the door of the dining area, I was huffing and gasping for breath. Alfons was not even unkempt or burdened by us hurrying to get here. 

When I pushed open both hefty 20-foot 5-inch thick doors, it slammed to the sides and hit the wall hard. I winced by the loud sound, so were the people inside the hall. I forgot to control my strength again!

The only reprieve is that my power only works on insentient objects and not on living beings. When I was a child, I was afraid to move because I might tear off someone's limb by accident. 

The people around me, including my family, were overwhelmed and mystified why I was bestowed with such strength by the great Gods. Even my reincarnation was a mystery. All I could do is to accept and be grateful that I was given a chance and a stroke of luck.

I was checking to see if the walls had cracks or if I had destroyed yet another door when Mother exclaimed.

"Lian?! I haven't summoned for you yet, darling~! Why have you come here so soon?" 

I turned to look at Mother, but my eyes passed by her and stared at the person behind her. I was stunned because I immediately recognised that face! It's the face in the mini portrait I was gazing last night. I am thunderstruck! My fiancee has come to pay a surprise visit?!

 

 

 

10