Chapter 5: A wish for the future
566 1 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A distant voice, the feeling of numbness throughout my body, slowly my eyelids began to open, instantly I closed them again, the light was directly hitting my face discomforting my eyes, with a superhuman effort my hands moved to my face to block the light.

"Hmm… why are my curtains open?" The sound that came out of my mouth was hoarse, I felt my throat dry, rubbing my eyelids with my hands while my eyes got used to the light I felt a slight itch in my left palm and my right forearm.

Moving my hands away from my face I saw both arms covered almost completely with bandages, for a second I found myself confused, then all the memories of before I passed out suddenly came back, I was completely still looking at my palms for a few seconds.

"Ha, really"

CRASH

Startled by the sudden sound of glass breaking I looked in the direction of the sound to find my mother looking at me with a shocked face, pieces of broken glass along with water near her feet.

"Mo"

"MY BABY!!!" She screamed as she launched herself at me without letting me finish speaking.

"My baby is fine, the doctors said that you would be unconscious at least all day today and part of tomorrow, I was worried, I was so worried!!!" She sobbed as she hugged me, I tried to calm her down a few times but I soon understood that she needed to vent, so I just rubbed her back letting her talk and sob all she needed.

At least about 5 minutes later she finally stopped crying and just hugged me tightly for a few seconds before releasing me and sitting next to my bed.

"Do you want to know what happened?" She asked with a bit of doubt.

"Actually yes, but before that, how long was I unconscious?"

"Less than 24 hours, it's about 3 o'clock actually, the doctors said you probably wouldn't wake up until sundown tomorrow".

"And what happened with". My words were unconsciously interrupted when trying to talk about Jack, luckily my mother seemed to understand what I meant and she answered the question.

"That ... man, was caught by a squad of runic knights, they told me they heard an explosion when they were patrolling the area, when they approached they found you wounded, after that they took you to the hospital and put him behind bars, tomorrow they will they will take him to the capital to prosecute him "

"I see". I replied unimpressed, if he had been caught that would be the normal procedure things would have after all.

"Jean". My mother spoke softly. "Why did you leave the store? Why were you so reckless?"

"I ... I wanted to look for you, when that old man entered the store hurting, I". My words were suddenly interrupted when I remembered the wounded old man. "That old man, what happened to that injured old man?" I asked somewhat agitated.

"He's fine, the rune knights found him where you told him to hide". She told me to calm down. "But don't change the subject Jean". She warned me.

"I was worried, when I saw him hurt, I ... I didn't even want to imagine that this could happen to you too, and before I knew it I was already running"

"You were very reckless, you could have asked one of the rune knight squads to accompany you"

"But I"

"I know you were worried about me, and for that, I can't blame you too much, because surely I would have also run all over the city alone and without waiting for anyone if we had exchanged roles"

"…."

"For that reason, I only ask that you realize your mistakes, if something irreversible had happened to you I don't know what I would have done, please Jean, I don't want to, I don't want to feel that pain one more time, I don't want to lose my family again". She said when the tears started to come out of her eyes again.

"I… mom, don't cry". I said when seeing her like this made me shed my own tears, this time it was me who held her while we both cried.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm really sorry". I unconsciously apologized many times, I did not want to see my mother, the person who loved me and gave everything I had in this life crying in this way for my reckless actions.

After a couple more minutes of crying and we finally parted once more, my mom was smiling as residual tears wet her cheeks, surely I had some too because she ran her thumb across my face to wipe them.

"It's okay, everything's fine now, because you're fine, you're fine and safe once more"

After that, she told me what had happened and what the rune knights told her, apparently the guy was a wanted assassin and had committed multiple crimes, and on behalf of the rune guard I would be awarded a monetary reward along with some kind of medal for service to the kingdom, that didn't really matter much to me, but it wouldn't hurt to accept it, especially when I had already made up my mind.

Later when the doctor arrived I asked him if I could get a tub of water, at first he was confused so I had to explain to him that I had a healing factor that was activated when I was in contact with the liquid, both my mother and the doctor looked slightly confused and skeptical, not that I blamed them, after all, I hadn't told anyone about my divine protection.

"But Jean, you can't use magic"

"It's not magic, I really don't quite understand how it works, but I'm not lying, I promise". I said with all the assurance I could muster.

My mother looked at me a little doubtful, but in the end, she asked the doctor to do what I asked and a few minutes later she was lying in a tub of water while the doctor was standing next to me.

"Well, we did what you asked, so until tonight we will be monitoring you to check your words". The man spoke with a professional tone and then turned around and left, only my mother and I were left in the room once more.

"Are you sure about this Jean?"

"Don't worry mom, if everything goes well tonight we'll be going home". I said happy, although then my tone became a bit solemn. "But, there is something I wanted to tell you"

Since I woke up and talked to my mother I had been thinking about what happened, I really was in mortal danger, a single misstep, a single mistake on my part and I would not be here now, the thoughts I had while I was training yesterday came back to my mind.

What did I want in this life? This was most likely an isolated event, it was very unlikely that if I stayed here I would be in danger again, I could stay in this place for the rest of my life and live a quiet and peaceful life, but was that really what I wanted?

Could I wait until later to decide? Was I still too young to care about things like that?

WHAT A JOKE, life was short, no one knew when would die, I could die tomorrow choking on a piece of fruit, I could die in 5 years from an illness, or I could do it in 90 years being an old man, I did not know.

But what I knew well was if I kept putting off my decision then there would come a point where I could not achieve my dream, I could not live a life without regrets, one where I was honest with myself and be really happy.

That was how I got to the answer that I was looking for so much, I did NOT want a calm and leisurely life, I wanted excitement, I wanted to train even more and be stronger, I wanted to live adventures, and I wouldn't do any of that if I stayed here.

"Mom, I…" I stopped to take a long breath and try to calm myself, even if I had already decided, it was difficult to tell my mother. "When I grow up I want to travel a little, I want to go on adventures"

"..."

"It can be difficult, and I know it can be dangerous, I know that telling you this after what happened yesterday will not give you much security, but still I want". I was saying when my mother's hand stopped in front of my face signaling me to stop and interrupting what I was saying, I gulped and prepared for the discussion to come.

"Jean". She said in a calm tone as she looked at me, her eyes wide scanning every part of my face. "Is that really what you want?" She said confusing me a little, I expected a refusal from her, I expected her to be upset, alarmed, or even disappointed by my decision, but instead she only asked me that question.

Putting on the safest expression I could, I replied. "Yes"

She heard my answer and smiled, it was a somewhat resigned smile as if she had expected something like this for a while and I heard her mutter something like "it's your fault that he wants to do this"

After that, he spoke again. "So I have nothing to forbid you, if that's what you feel you want to do, what kind of mother I would be if I wanted to stop you?"

"Then it's decided !!!" A loud voice said as the door slammed open.

I found myself startled once more when I looked in the direction of the door and saw the same man who was at the rune knights stand yesterday, the same man I gave the keys to the shop and told him what was going on.

I looked at my mother hoping for some clarification, but all I found was her with a hand on her forehead as she sighed in resignation.

"Jean, this is Michael, a distant cousin, your uncle, as well as being the new captain of the city's rune knight garrison". She said something tired.

I found myself looking between the man and my mother several times, I was quite surprised, after all, I had never met another member of the family, it had always been just me and mom.

"Umm… hello?" I awkwardly greeted the man.

"Don't be nervous boy, I'm not here just to introduce myself, you want to travel and have adventures, don't you? Based on all the tests that were done to you here while you were unconscious and the injuries that that lunatic had I can say that you have a very good body trained and instincts sharp, but have you ever formally trained in close combat? "

"I don't"

"Okay, then 3 days after your wounds heal, I'll start to training you". He declared with a smile.

"What?"

"Yes, strength is very good, crucial in a fight, but the technique is just as important, or are you planning to go out into the world and just throw punches like a beginner at whatever problem comes your way?"

I just found myself looking at him quite surprised, he had a very good point, in a fight if one had a very good technique he could beat an opponent who was stronger than him, with that in mind I shook my head at his question.

"Perfect, then I'll see you when you're fully recovered and rested, find me at the rune knights station, I'll be able to train you any day of the week from 5 to 7". He said with a smile and then turned around.

"Well that's all I had to say, besides, I don't want to interrupt the rest of the visits, take care and rest boy, see you later Claire". He waved goodbye as he left.

"Wait, what did he mean by other visi". My question was interrupted when a concerned voice sounded in the room.

"Jean!!"

Yes, I should have expected this, after all, she is still a child, and if they told her how I ended up it would be normal for her to be scared, probably in my previous life, I would have screamed like a girl even when I was 16 if someone told me that something similar It would have happened to someone important to me.

"Hello Lucy". I waved to her while she smiled.

"Are you okay? You have many injuries, what happened to you? Does it hurt a lot? Why are you in the water? Are you going to get better soon?"

"Hey, calm down, you don't need to worry so much, I'm fine, and in no time I'll be like new again, about the water, let's say being inside will help me heal faster". I explained to her in an attempt to calm her down, luckily it seemed to work and she stopped asking 10 questions per second, after that, I looked at the person who was with her.

"Hello Miss Layla"

"I am very glad that you are well Jean, you do not know how worried we all were when we found out what happened to you"

"I appreciate it, I think I was very lucky, but as you say, now I am fine and healing"

"It is true, and do not worry about that man, I sent some letters to some friends in the capital, he will not come from where they will put him, nor will he ever harm anyone else". She replied with a serious tone.

I found myself smiling a bit awkwardly as I swallowed, Miss Layla normally was very sweet but she could really be threatening when she wanted to, although at this moment I really thanked that part of her, after all, if that ensured that Jack wouldn't get out of prison then she would have done a lot more with a letter than I did by defeating him.

########

"I can't believe you haven't really told me until now that you had an ability like that". My mother said while we entered our house, which was on the second floor of a small building, exactly above the store we had.

"Sorry about that, it's just that I never found the opportunity to do it, and it's not very visual, only in situations where I'm hurt could it be noticed". I told my mother.

Just as I had said, it took me almost 6 hours to be in the water, but my wounds were now almost completely healed, the doctor in charge of me couldn't believe how quickly my wounds had healed, he even insisted on doing some more thorough exams when he confirmed that he did not have a trace of magic to speed up the process, but when the tests they had already done confirmed that I was fine my mother refused to let me spend more time there and we left.

With the rest of the night and about 10 minutes tomorrow at the waterfall no one would believe that 24 hours ago I was full of cuts, burns, a couple of fractured ribs, and a slight concussion.

But even with the accelerated healing, I had some scars, a few small ones on my left palm and shoulder from the knives that had been stuck there, another slightly visible on my right forearm from the blast that I blocked, and the largest, which was from the size of half my palm on the left side of my torso, caused by the last explosion that knocked me unconscious, the rest of the cuts completely disappeared without leaving a single mark.

"Well it's a good thing so I guess it's okay, let's go to sleep, I'm a little tired". My mom said covering her mouth as she yawned.

"Okay, I have to rest, from tomorrow I will train even harder". I said yawning too.

"Sleep well Jean, I love you". She said before giving me a short hug and going to her room.

"See you tomorrow mom". I said goodbye when I entered my own room.

Lying on my bed I found myself smiling like a fool, I had discovered my main skill and couldn't be more excited, the ability to create holy swords with whatever properties I wanted, I really had some ideas that could help my training.

And not only that, if I really tried I could even wake up my Touki, after all the Mr. higher dimensional said that my body would be governed by my first ability, so I guess my body works like that of a human from the DXDverse.

That is why I could not use the magic of this world, I did not have what people knew as an ethernano container, I needed to use mathematical equations to do it, and although with some effort I think I could do it, I preferred to use the other way.

After all, my protection Divine would surely help me with my physical training, and any magic that I could use through maths could replace it using my sacred gear, I could even try senjutsu.

Looking through my window I smiled once more, with all those possibilities I couldn't wait to see that I had the future in store for me.

19