Chapter 0: Meeting with the Goddess
379 6 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Opening my eyes, I saw an unfamiliar and dreamlike view. The sky was pure dark, while contrasting this, was a pure white floor that appeared to be made out of marble or some other smooth material.

As I continued to look around, I tried to remember what I was doing that led me to appear in such a strange location. Or if maybe I was currently in one of those lucid dreams, although I’ve never been in one before.

“Hey.”

Turning around, I was greeted by the sight of a beautiful woman sitting on a what looked like a throne with her legs crossed atop one another. I had never before seen someone as perfect looking at her, and my attention was now entirely focused on her. She was wearing a sleeveless deep blue dress covered in small shining gems that reached to her ankles. Pure white evening gloves could be seen on both her arms, with matching white high heel shoes completing the ensemble. 

She had long silky flowing black hair, with light blue eyes that seemed like two priceless gems staring back at me. These features would have undoubtedly complemented her expression to create an immaculate appearance, if not for the languid expression that she had on her face that actually made her seem real.

Seeing me staring at her with a dumbfounded expression, the woman called out to me saying:

“How long are you going to stand there with that stupid look on your face? I know I’m an incredible beauty and that you can’t help yourself, but right now we have things to discuss.”

Wait, who is this woman. And what does she mean by us having something to discuss? I don’t remember ever meeting someone like her, unless… Could she be an actress or model I’ve seen on TV before and is now appearing in my dream? Guess I liked her appearance enough to dream about her. Well, let’s see what she wants.

I shook my head and adopted a normal smile. After all, even in a dream I had no plans of looking like a fool. Once I thought I looked presentable, I asked the woman:

“Discuss? You and me?”

“Yes, you and me. You’ve died and it is now my responsibility to reincarnate you.” She responded to my question in a very matter of fact way, as if I was an idiot to have even asked it in the first place.

Hearing her words, memories of the moments leading up to now began running through my mind. 

That’s right! I was taking my sister to her violin classes before an idiot veered off the road just in front us straight to the where we were walking. I remember thinking that there was no way to dodge that van and pushed my sister out of the way reflexively.

That’s right! My sister! Did she also die? Is she fine? Dammit! I died to quick to get a chance to see what happened!

With the anxiety of not knowing my sisters fate consuming me, I asked the woman before me:

“Excuse me, but you wouldn’t happen to know what happened to the little girl next to me? She was my sister, did she survive?”

“What does it matter to you? You’re already dead.” She said in a completely nonchalant manner.

Huh? Yeah I may be dead, but she’s still my sister! I don’t think I’d be able to reincarnate in peace if I don’t know what happened to her. I’d prefer to know that she didn’t die so young, or even worse, if she survived but is now horribly injured… 

Not allowing her to brush the matter away, I answered back in as respectful as tone as possible so as not to anger her and risk not receiving an answer:

“She’s my sister, so it matters very much to me even if I don't get to see her again. Please, tell me what happened to her. I don’t think I’d be able to move on if I don’t know what her fate was.”

Releasing a sigh, the woman before me answered, “Fine i’ll tell you. You’re little sister is fine.”

“Really?”

“Yes, yes. Here, have a look.”

As soon as she said this, the woman waved her hand before an oval distortion appeared in the air. After a few seconds, an image formed in the oval which showed the sight of my little sister grieving over my dead body as people tried to pull her away from my disfigured remains.

Thank god she’s fine, doesn’t look like she sustained any injuries either. Damn, I feel bad making her see my dead body, it really doesn’t look good at all, pretty sure that’s gonna require some therapy. But I’m glad I managed to push her away in time. She can still move on from this and live a happy life.

“See, I told you she was fine. Aside from some small trauma there’s nothing wrong with her. Now, let’s get on to business.”

Ignoring her rather careless words, my mind cleared up from the relief of knowing that my sister was fine. As a result, I was now able to better assess the situation I was in… 

Wait, let me think about this for a second. A seemingly endless plane with only me and an ethereal beauty. Not only that, but she claimed that it is her responsibility to reincarnate me. Doesn’t that mean that this is one of those scenarios I’ve seen in isekai stories? Then, will I also get an overpowered ability or something else in order to help me in a new world? Oh man, I feel really bad about getting excited so soon after dying and leaving my family behind. But man, I wonder if I’ll be able to go on a great adventure and even build myself one of those harems like I’ve seen in shows. I never did have much luck with women so I wonder if this time around my luck can finally turn for the better.

The beautiful woman before me seened to have been patiently obersving me this time around, and was smirking as she looked at the stupid expression on my face. Having me all figured out, the woman sat up straight as she grandly proclaimed::

“Yes, it is exactly as you’re thinking Giovanni! I, the great and benevolent goddess Valencia, will be in charge of reincarnating your soul to another world! You can start your life from the very beginning in a new and talented body, while retaining your current memories with you to provide you assistance. But before you do, I’ll allow you to pick one gift to aid you in your new journey.”

Hearing her words, an uncontrollable excitement began welling up inside me as I began to imagine what incredible ability I would be receiving.

“Now Giovanni, choose any ability you want!” She proclaimed in a grandiose manner as she stuck both her arms out.

With those words, a multitude of cards began flying from behind her as they spun around me and formed a sphere of flying cards. Once the cards had stopped, I began to eagerly peruse their contents, almost as if I was a child again being told by my mother that I could pick any one candy from the store.

Oh man, I wonder what gift I should choose. It definitely has to be something overpowered like healing magic, or having incredible offensive magic, even an indestructible body would be fine. Let’s see what the options are first before I lose myself in my fantasies.

However, when I began to look at the cards, I began to feel that something was amiss. And the more I look at the cards before me, the more this feeling compounded. With uncertainty growing inside me, I looked at the goddess and asked:

“Are these all the options I have?”

“Yes, that’s everything you can exchange your life’s karma for. Go on, pick anyone of them.” She responded in a rather enthusiastic and proud tone.

I however, was feeling anything but. Taking another look at the choices, I couldn’t help but feel they were quite lackluster and wouldn’t really be too great a benefit if I was to enter another world. After all, reading something like, ‘can communicate with anyone’, ‘outstanding luck’, ‘perfect memory’, and so on did not really bring me much confidence.

Wait, maybe I’m not going to a fantasy world but one similar to mine. In that case, these abilities would really help me succeed in life. I mean, how much easier would school have been if I had perfect memory. Or maybe I wouldn’t have been such an outcast if I could truly talk and get along with anyone else. Or how much easier life would be if I could win the lottery or even win at casinos. Shit, just having better luck with girls and making friends would have been enough. Maybe they’re better gifts than I thought… 

Thinking this, I felt a bit of optimism return to me, and a bit of disappointment, as I asked the goddess before me:

“Ah, am I going to be reincarnated into a world similar to the one I came from?”

“Nope, it’s a fantasy world just like the one you’ve seen in your shows! A world where you can become a famous hero and save the world! So be grateful that I’m sending you to a world just like you wished in your dreams!” She responded once again in a chipper and proud manner.

My dreams? Does she know what I’ve fantasized about? It’s not something I really feel confident having someone else know about… 

Hearing her words, I looked back to the cards once more before asking:

“Goddess, how is the technology of this world I’m being sent to?”

“Exactly as you’d think. A medieval style world with magic and mythical beasts. I can understand that you might be a bit inconvenienced by the drop in living standards. But don’t worry about it, it’s part of what gives the world its charm!”

Hmm, I’m not exactly sure how she expects me to become a hero with such mundane gifts. I guess that means that the body I’ll be reborn in will be special in itself and these gifts are just to help me on top of that. If not, then I might end up struggling in this new world quite a bit… 

“Hmmm? What, are you saying you don’t like my gifts?” The goddess said with a tone that seemed to grow increasingly annoyed as clear frustration showed on her face. It appeared that I was unable to hide the vexation on my face while thinking about the gifts as I looked straight at goddess that her chipper expression soured due to me. Not wanting to displease the goddess, I responded:

“Well, they’re definitely nice gifts to have and I know that they’ll help me greatly. It’s just that I’m slightly worried about my survival in a new world.”

Calming down a little, the goddess responded with still somewhat annoyed tone:

“Really?”

“Yes, I’m just thinking that if I’m heading over to a fantasy world, then I should have something that helps me in combat, none of the gifts that appeared for me to choose from really seemed good for combat.”

“Nonsense, so long as you train hard you should be able to become a great hero, even if you don’t have any special gift or talent.”

Even if I don’t have any special gift or talent? Wait, does this mean I’ll be able to become strong without any gift because my body is special, or that she expects me to work hard enough to become strong even if my body isn’t special? Those words don’t really make me feel any better goddess… 

After saying that, the goddess continued to stare at me before her expression soured once more. Although I wasn’t trying to let it show on my face, I was wondering if it would be for the best if she just allowed my soul to pass on normally, and it seemed that the goddess was able to see right through me.

“Then Giovanni. Are you telling me that you’re not satisfied with my gifts?” She said with a rather complicated look on her face.

“It’s not that I’m not satisfied with them, but…”

“But?”

“I’m not sure if I’ll really be able to live up to your expectations without a gift that’s more like I’ve seen in other shows, you know. I just don’t think I have it in me to become a great hero.”

“Is that so…” She mumbled as a pensive expression appeared on her face. Then continuing where she left off, she asked:

“Then, what would you think would be a better gift for you?”

Thinking that I had a chance to get a better gift, I decided to answer in a respectful manner:

“Well goddess, I think it would be better if I could receive anything like in those shows were they have overpowered offensive capabilities. Or even something like having an immortal body would help. Although it doesn’t have to be to that extent.”

“I see, I see. Hmm… Then, would you say something like having an immortal body is acceptable.”

Feeling my expectations increase at her answer, I nodded my head as I responded:

“Yes great goddess, something like that would be great.”

Clapping her hands, the Goddess stood up as she said:

“Very well then, Giovanni.”

“Yes goddess?” I responded with some excitement in my voice. However, as soon as I responded, I saw her expression turn fierce as she looked me straight in the eyes and said:

“So that your ungrateful soul will understand to accept the great gift being presented to you, and appreciate the work that someone put in picking gifts that would suit you, I shall grant your wish in hopes that it will teach you to be a more humble person and build your character to be truly worthy of the hero I saw in you. Go Giovanni!...”

As she said this, she extended her arm as a light began shining from underneath me.

“Go Giovanni! And take the gift of true immortality that I have personally granted you. However, may this gift become a great trial for you, and may it help fix that character of yours. And hopefully, by the next time we meet, you will become a better and more grateful person.”

As she finished those words, I saw a bright light completely encompass me before my consciousness faded…

5