Chapter 9: Resistances
150 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Have their weapons finally dulled?’ For the first time in… I don’t really know how long, the spears that had been penetrating me, could no longer pierce my skin. And it appeared that I might even finally be relieved from this hell.

It’s honestly difficult to describe this experience. A haze? A dream? Who really knows. How do you properly describe an even for which you have so little recollection of, yet your body seems to remember very well.

Stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab stab

That's all the last, who knows what of life has been. Wake up, get stabbed, die…… And repeat! Truly, what a marvelous and merciful gift to receive!

Was the goddess sadistic? I was honestly beginning to believe she was. I mean did wish for this gift, but damn she didn't have to put me in this stupid dungeon because of it. I can understand I may have stepped out of bounds earlier, but I’m honestly trying to figure out how I was supposed to repent at this moment. Did she think that by making me suffer I would understand whatever the hell it was she wanted me too? The only thing this is doing is making my impression of the goddess drop faster than the stock market in 2009. I mean, for the poor fuckers who I took this now useless armor, they just had to go through some pain and fear once. As for me, I’ve had to experience that shit from the moment I arrived. 

Yeah I was able to live through the Minotaur. And thankfully I was able make it through those hellhounds, although if one had managed to actually kill and eat me I don’t know if my mind would have handled it. However, this experience was honestly a bit too much, and I felt as though it had awaken me from some dream.

None of this was normal, there was nothing that I had experienced in the last who knows what that could be counted as normal. It might be normal for the people of this world, but it sure as hell wasn’t normal for me. And to be honest, from the moment I had appeared in that strange world in front of the goddess, everything has sort of been like a haze.

Just like any other mortal man, I feared death. Not only that, but I had already experienced it once. Even if someone told me that my soul would reincarnate, it meant nothing to me. If I couldn’t keep my brain and my memories, then whoever the hell the new ‘me’ was wasn’t really me. And the thing I truly feared wasn’t dying, but ceasing to exist. Once upon a time those two might have meant the same thing, but now…… not so much. 

I guess hearing that I couldn’t die sort of disassociated me from reality. Despite the death, the pain, the fear, everything still felt sort of fake, as if I wasn’t really living my life. This hell however, reassured me that it was anything but, and that this was in fact my life, my reality, and that things could go horribly wrong and in an even worse manner than I could imagine. It was clear that just being immortal wasn’t enough.

I mean seriously, what if the goddess has me fall into a pit of lava? What then? Do I just keep burning for all of eternity? Hopefully in that situation I’d die so quickly that I wouldn’t be able to understand what was going on. Although I wonder if my vitality could rise to a level where even in lava I’d take a while to kill me. 

Shit, I really need to think more about what I’m doing. Not only do I need to focus on getting out of here. I need to do a better job of not dying, or more importantly, getting myself in one of these situations. Deciding that it was a good opportunity, I took a look at my stats as I saw……

 

Age

18

Level

21

Occupation

None

Vitality

214

Endurance

67

Strength

35

Agility

71

Dexterity

52

Mana

1                                                                    

Luck

-31

Skills

None                           

Gift

[Immortality: S]

Resistances

[Slashing: I] [Piercing: F]

 

Ahh, I see. So that’s why these motherfuckers can’t kill me anymore. There on my stat sheet was a new surprise entry. Actually two of them. [Slash: I] and [Piercing F]. It did seem like my Vitality went up, but maybe it wasn’t really the reason as to why I finally managed to survive.

After all, thinking back on the event, it did seem as though it was becoming more difficult for the creatures to kill me, although a stab to the head seemed to do the trick. Regardless, the seconds that I could keep my consciousness had been increasing, along with the force behind their stabs. I thought maybe their weapons had been dulling, but maybe there are some advantages to going through this hell, not that my impression of the goddess is going to increase regardless.

By this point, only the annoying feeling of thumps could be felt all across my torso and face, and it was honestly getting a bit too difficult to think in such circumstances. Thinking that it was about time I paid the little fuckers back for their hospitality, I grabbed one of the spears trying to kill me and yanked it out of the fucker’s hands. Swinging it around recklessly, I managed to create an opening which I quickly used to stand up. Seeing my pitiful strength stat, I thought that this might be a good opportunity to finally get it up.

The armor I was using was heavy, or at least it was heavy for me. With how ripped and hole-riddled it was, there was no point to keep on using it, so I took it off despite the rain of spears coming my way.

My resistance did seem to protect me from being stabbed, although I could still feel the blunt damage caused by the hits, which was leaving me pretty sore along with it being annoying as hell. However, my body felt awfully sturdier than before, which most have been the result of my massive jump in vitality.

Now that I only had the clothing rags on me, I began to unsuccessfully dodge the torrent of stabs as they still smacked me all across my body. I was doing this for the sake of increasing my agility stat, not because I was confident that I could dodged all the countless spears. Still, since they couldn’t stop me, I was still able to reach my destination, which was in front of the bastard that had been thrusting his spear at my face. Preparing myself and lining up my wrist to avoid injury, I threw a hard punch with all my strength to the bastards face.

Surprisingly, the punch I threw did not hurt. From my experience hitting a sandbag before, I expected this to hurt quite a bit. Although I guess this was a result of my now more sturdy body. Although that did make me question how it was possible for my body to get sturdier without it getting stronger. Regardless, this was a good sign, as it meant that I could continue to fight these creatures and attempt to grind some strength points.

The creature who I had punched looked at me with a dazed expression, as though he did not expect me to punch him. Immediately after that however, a familiar screech sounded out as I remembered that it was probably not a good idea to stay to take my time grinding these fools.

Changing my strategy, I yanked the spear from the screeching creature before thrusting it into his heart with all my strength. Turning to the creature to the right, I grabbed the spear with my hands as it was thrust in my direction. Since I had grabbed the sharp end with my hand, I expected a cut to appear on my hand. However, outside of a sharp feeling, my hand seemed to be completely right as I let the spear go before grabbing the wooden part and yanking it away. I didn’t want to risk cutting myself by yanking the spearhead, at least not before testing the extent of my slash resistance, so I tried to avoid laying my hands on the spearheads.

After I yanked the spear, I proceeded to also thrust it into the creature with all of my strength. And after him, I did the same to another five creatures before I was forced to change my strategy.

It seemed the stupid creatures realized that their spears were now ineffective against me. As two of them dropped them before rushing at me. Deciding to avoid this dangerous situation, I yanked another spear and thrust it into one with enough strength for me to quickly pull it out and stab the other. Still, it seemed this sight was enough to inspire the rest as they abandoned their thrusting strategy for a more primitive brawling one. Soon, I found myself completely surrounded by an angry group of creatures who seemed completely intent on wrestling me.

It seemed that one way or another, I would be getting my strength up this time around. And with the creatures so close to me, it wasn’t long before one grabbed and pulled on my arm as I punched him away. Quickly turning around, kicked the legs of a nearby creature before punching another. Their arms and legs were thin, and thanks to that their strength wasn’t all that impressive. Kicking another creature away which fell back and punching another one, I began to feel the thrill of adrenaline coursing through my veins as I fought the stupid creatures.

Although maybe I was stupid one, as I was quickly humbled from my hubris when one of the creatures managed to grab my neck as the rest of the group quickly piled up on me. Soon, I felt a searing pain in my ear as the bastard bit into my ear. Then, a similar but weaker feeling appeared throughout my body as the creatures bit into me. However, they were unable to actually penetrate my skin where I had more fat and muscle. When one tried to bite my fingers off, I pulled at his teeth and yanked them out as it let out a primal screen. 

I thrashed around desperately trying to free myself, as well as getting the bastard biting into my ear off. Unluckily for me, some of the creatures began to hold down my legs as I was completely left immobile. Deciding to conserve my strength for the moment, I stopped thrashing around as I began to think of a strategy to free myself. Before I could properly think however, I saw the horrific sight of one of the creatures moving towards my groin.

The sight gave me a bad premonition about what was about to happen, and I began thrashing around with all of my strength and more in a desperate attempt to avoid my horrific fate. Still, the disgusting creature did not stop as it opened its mouth and made its way towards my delicate place. In a desperate prayer, I screamed out for help, hoping that there might be another group of adventurers to free me from my hell. It was, however, a futile attempt, as no one appeared in the three seconds that it took for the creature to put its mouth over my pants, and then bit into my the one place that no man or creature should…… 

 

2