Alfea is strange.
308 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nick, Vanessa, Mike, Bloom, along with Kiko and Stella, walked down the hill together, getting closer to the campus. Bloom looked around as if spellbound, and her parents were much more interested in talking with Nick.

"So… Wizards, aye?" Mike asked. "How does one even become a wizard or a witch?"

Nick pulled a weird face. "I feel like I'm answering the same questions too often lately," he muttered. "Some people are born with a minimum amount of their own mana – magical energy that measures their potential somewhat. We constantly monitor the emergence of such people, so any person with magic once in his life receives an offer to study it. Some agree, some refuse. It's like being born with blue eyes or dark skin, something that you have no control over."

Mike and Vanessa nodded.

"And what happens to those who refuse?" Vanessa asked.

"At their request, we erase their memories. If they want to know about the supernatural world and continue living without magic, we also respect their choice as long as they don't run around screaming that magic is real. It all depends on the person, really," Nick shrugged. "In extremely aggressive cases – if someone decides to attack the messenger, for example – we have to forcibly erase the memories."

"Wizards can… Erase memories?" Mike asked in shock.

"Yes, but it is a highly complex and highly regulated subsystem of mental magic. It takes years of study and practice to become a skilled user, not to mention that performing such spells is like performing surgery on a patient's brain all alone."

And that was just the tip of the iceberg. First stages of mental magic were fairly easy to master, as long as one only looks at a person's memories and thoughts. But to change something in the human mind? Erase memories, plant ideas, show images? It was terribly difficult. If the work is done by someone with no experience… well, we get people like our dear nearly-brain-dead stalker Fred.

"Somehow that doesn't make me fill warm and goo- akh!" Mike's speech ended when he crashed into an invisible barrier that stopped him in place. "What the hell?"

Bloom, who was walking a little ahead of them, stopped and looked at Mike in confusion while Stella looked back and snapped her fingers as if remembering something. "That's what I forgot about!"

Nick approached Mike, who was now feeling the invisible wall that stopped his path.

"Are these the school wards?" Nick asked Stella and she nodded.

"As far as I remember, it stops all non-magical beings from entering, well, that and other defenses." The blonde said.

Nick slowly tried to touch the barrier, but it didn't seem to exist, at least not for any magical person. Once his magic was close enough to the wards, a small passage opened up for him, allowing only him to pass through. It was an interesting concept that was often used on Earth, but most likely for different reasons than Alfea.

Suppressing his magic and hiding it from the sensors, Nick put his hand on the wall to feel his magic, distantly hearing Bloom say goodbye to her parents and promise to call more often. His hand came into contact with the invisible dome and Nick froze. Under his hand was a hurricane of all sorts of magic, stuffed into one invisible wall. Some aspects of the defense were deactivated and that was the only reason Nick didn't pass out from sensory overload. Reading the wards was dangerous, it could damage a wizard's brain if one was not careful, but no amount of caution could've prepared him for something like this.

The wards were ancient and strong, much older than one could expect and much stronger than anything a normal wizard could do. The last time Nick felt so many different levels of protection was only in Patrick's house, although if he admits to himself, Patrick's protection compared to Alfea looked like a straw shield compared to a uru shield.

"Like I'm back in China…" Nick muttered. Wards like these cannot be created in a couple of years, they need to be cultivated for generations. Nick stopped suppressing his magic and flinched at the uncomfortable sensation under his skin. He can ask about wards later, from someone who knows how this hurricane really works.

"And don't shy away from your studies, even if this magic training seems boring!" Vanessa said while hugging Bloom tightly.

Mike turned from his daughter to Nick and put both hands on Nick's shoulders. Which looked odd because Nick was still taller than the man. "Nicholas, even though I haven't known you for long, I'll still ask you for it. If something bad happens at school, protect our girl," he said, his face set in stone. "And please, if she starts dating anyone here, give them the shovel talk, 'kay?"

Nick just laughed and nodded. "No problem! But my version will probably contain a lot more fire, lightning and axes. Don't worry about Bloom," he removed Mike's hand from his left shoulder and pointed towards Alfea. "This place is as well-protected as the Wizards' Hall of Fame, and let me tell you, the Hall of Fame has some pretty nasty wards. So, I'm sure Bloom will be safe from external threats. And I'll get rid of threats from within myself." He muttered the last part to himself. There was no reason to show Mike his paranoia.

After heartfelt goodbyes, two fairies and one sorcerer stepped through the barrier and continued on their way to Alfea. The closer they got to the building; the more surprised Nick was. Something inside the campus was emitting incredible amounts of magic that were noticeable even if they were hidden. Moreover, the source was far from one, but several at once. Where wizards on Earth created more practical buildings that were often a mixture of technology and magic, the Alfea campus was one hundred percent magical.

This raised several questions: what exactly were people hiding on campus? How many artifacts were hidden under Alfea's protection? Did Faragonda know about this?

The three of them passed under the high pink archway and Nick mentally calculated that there were about four hundred fairies around, maybe a little more. The magic in the air filled his nostrils, bringing the scents of the forest, freshly cut grass and hundreds of branded perfumes. The smell was intoxicating, especially since almost all perfumes here were magical. 'Just how much money fairies spending on magical cosmetics?' He thought.

Those questions were put aside for later as a stern-looking woman appeared in front of Nick, holding a clipboard in one hand and a pen in the other. Her face was set in a permanent frown, how she hadn't developed wrinkles yet, Nick could only guess.

"Young man, I hope you have a good reason for being here. As you can see, this is an all-girls school." She said and turned her gaze to Stella and Bloom. "Ah, Princess Stella of Solaria, you're back again, I see. I hope we don't have any more problems this year? Our lab is still beyond repair due to your…" She searched for the right word, "rough handling of highly hazardous materials."

Stella giggled nervously and scratched the back of her head, glancing towards the campus, where there were obvious signs of an explosion. "Of course not! I'll be on my best behavior, professor Griselda!"

"We'll see," she allowed and finally drew attention to Bloom, next to whom stood Nick. Griselda blinked, only now noticing that the boy had moved from his place, she noted that down for future questioning. "And how can I help you?"

Bloom looked at Nick nervously, but he just winked at her and spoke with a smile. "Good afternoon, Professor Griselda, my name is Nicholas Fyre, and the red-haired fairy on my left is Bloom. We come from Earth, so I would be grateful if we could get a meeting with Faragonda, we have a lot of somethings to discuss, I believe."

Griselda raised an unimpressed eyebrow. "Earth? There are no more fairies left on Earth, so forgive me for doubting your words," she said and thought for a while. "But the barrier wouldn't let you through if you were ordinary people. Well, setting a meeting with Faragonda will be possible after the opening ceremony, until then, stay within campus grounds." She ordered.

Griselda scribbled something on her tablet and turned to another group of fairies. Stella looked to Nick and Bloom and put her hands behind her back. "Well, that was scary… How about a little tour of Alfea to battle our fears?"

Nick was tempted to agree, but getting into trouble with Headmistress and Head of Discipline on the first day didn't sound very nice. "A little later," he said, "now it's better to listen to Griselda. The woman is already stretched thin with her surveillance of a bunch of teenage girls with magic at their fingertips, can't imagine how hard it is for her." He muttered, "if it weren't for… certain circumstances, I'd rather not become a teacher for a few more decades." Or centuries.

Bloom's cheeks turned red, as if these special circumstances existed because of her. She knew very well that the very existence of Magix and its inhabitants was a threat to the wizarding community on Earth, but the very fact that she was right in the middle of it all as an observer was a little jarring. And although she tried to drive away the stupid thoughts that Nick had to go to Magix because of her – he would still have to make contact with the magical plain unknown to mankind sooner or later – in her head it was still her fault.

Nick had no idea what Bloom was thinking and was looking around, sometimes catching the interested glances of young fairies. Some smiled and winked while others looked away in embarrassment.

'Oh boy, I have to deal with teenage crushes. For some reason, I really want to go back home and wrap the planet in an impenetrable magical wall so that no one could follow me.' He blinked a couple of times, turning the idea around in his mind. 'It's worth telling Patrick to do something like that. I don't want Earth to be a walk-through yard for every random fairy or witch. Actually, it might be easier to block all extraterrestrial visitors altogether.'

Out of the corner of his eye, Nick noticed three teachers standing over a crowd of fairies in one of the campus windows, but ignored them for a moment. The idea of a barrier around the Earth was more important.

While Nick was trying to figure out a system to protect the planet from unwanted visitors, Griselda climbed onto a low podium in the middle of the campus courtyard and began a welcoming speech – if you could even call it that. "This school will be your home for the next five years. But this home can cease to be yours at any moment. The rules of this institution are based on discipline and unfortunate experience with accidents over the years, which we now avoid thanks to our rules. Disregard these rules and I'll personally escort you to the front gate." Her menacing gaze swept over the fairies gathered around and landed on Stella. "So when I tell you not to do something, I ask that you listen."

Stella murmured an unhappy curse, and Nick finally began to pay attention to Griselda's words.

"Magic, whatever you imagine it to be, is a serious and dangerous thing. So right now you may not use your powers in the halls or other common areas, this applies to all students except the last year, and those with special permission from the professors." Her eyes still didn't leave Stella and the rest of the fairies began to notice. "The only place where you can show your powers is in the classroom, strictly under the supervision of the teachers. I hope I've made myself clear?"

A chorus of: "Yes, Professor Griselda," chimed in the group of fairies. 

Nick wanted to ask how exactly Stella had blown up part of the campus, but his question died on his lips as four professors he didn't know walked onto the podium. "Sorry, we're late, I hope you'll excuse us." The gray-haired woman said with a smile.

Griselda abruptly straightened up even more – which seemed physically impossible – and raised her hand in the direction of a gray-haired woman with cloud-like hair. "Ladies, here comes your Headmistress. Attention!"

Faragonda, if Nick guessed correctly, looked old, but at the same time incredibly young for someone her age. Clear pale skin, blue eyes hidden behind thin triangular spectacles, sharp jaw, high cheekbones, and clothes more suited for an afternoon tea with a queen than for a welcoming speech. Nick felt strong Dumbledore vibes from the woman. Old, kind and powerful. 

In short, the Headmistress was kinda old, but badass. 

"Oh, really, there's no need to be so stodgy. I hope Ms. Griselda hasn't frighten you too much. Welcome to Alfea! The best fairy school in the whole of Magix. Mind you, it's also the only one. Come on in, ladies," she looked at Nick and raised a thin eyebrow in silent question, "and gentlemen."

Nick waved happily towards Faragonda, preferring not to say anything right now. The Headmistress led everyone inside the campus, enjoying their admiring sighs at the sight of the school. The corridors of the building were wide and light, painted in soft colors, but mostly light green, blue and light brown. Faragonda turned, stopping in the main hall in front of a high staircase.

"Here we are. And so we begin our orientation session, by the end of which, we should all know each other better. Becoming a fairy is hard work, but I know everyone here can do it. Keep in mind that the teachers and I are always here to help you. Okay, enough with the boring stuff, feel free to explore your surroundings. But, be very careful. There are dangers lurking about…" Faragonda left the words hanging in the air, allowing the young fairies to understand the gravity of the situation.

Stella poked Bloom and Nick in the sides, attracting their attention. "Stay away from the witches of Cloud Tower; listen, that's coming up."

"Stay away from the witches of Cloud Tower, although our schools have always enjoyed friendly rivalry, some people bring it to the extreme. Please be careful and take care of yourselves." Faragonda finished with a smile.

Griselda cleared her throat, drawing attention to herself. "Everyone's dismissed, you are free until dinner time, classes start at eight exactly, I ask no one to be late." Her eyes found Nick among the crowd and she nodded to him to follow the professors who had already started to leave.

Nick turned to Stella and Bloom. "I'll catch up with you later, I hope Faragonda agrees to listen to me."

"I'm sure everything will be fine," Stella said, "Faragonda is a kind woman. You'll be fine."

Nick winced, but said nothing in response. The last time he was told something like this, he lost his left arm and was forced to regenerate it for two weeks.

"I'll hope so," he muttered and followed Griselda and Faragonda. Nick really wished he'd brought the heavy guns with him.

Shorter than usual, but I delayed this chapter long enough. I'm still not sure about political part of Magix x Earth situation, writing is hard.

12