Recruitment Test 2
221 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The baseball field was set up differently for the 3 different tests.

Each player will take the test for their position since this is only 2nd string.

The first test was the pitching test, this test was only for pitchers. The field where the test will be held had the current main catcher for the 2nd string, Ono Hiroshi standing there ready wearing his catching gear.

Ono and some other reserve pitchers will be catching the pitches for the players in the test.

The second test was the batting test, this test was only for batters. The field where this part of the test will be held had a catapult machine near a batter's box. There were multiple machines and batter boxes set up for this.

Players will keep batting at different speeds until Kataoka tells them to stop.

The third test was the fielding test, this test was only for fielders. This test will be held at a field where the team normally has practice matches.

Many players didn't take fielding seriously unless they were a fielder.

For this test especially Kataoka will hit a ball using a catapult machine toward a player and tell them to catch it. Like this, he will see the qualities of different players.

Currently, Rei and the other players were gathered in the field waiting for Kataoka while he sorted out everything for the tests to begin.

In the crowd of players, a random duo was talking about pitching and saying that they will get in the 2nd string with their qualities.

Rei scoffed at them; he couldn't believe what kind of expectations these people were having.

Hearing his scoff, Aso Gin said, "What are you scoffing for. I was looking at you for a while and I don't like that look in your eyes. The way you look at people full of arrogance".

Rei rolled his eyes at him thinking how big of a pain in the ass the guy was. Couldn't he just leave him alone? Well, the look he had in his eyes was confidence, not arrogance.

"Maybe it's because I think I'm better than all of you", said Rei smirking.

Suddenly all the eyes of the players shifted towards Rei when they heard him.

"Really", said some players in the crowd. Some started to whisper about him, and some started to get riled up about this.

Rei noticed that for some reason the other players didn't like him. He squinted his eyes at Aso Gin, thinking, "Was this his goal, trying to affect me mentally by isolating me from others.".

"How about a bet", said Rei trying to provoke Aso.

This caught Aso's attention because he was from a rich family, and he had a lot of money which is why he loved betting.

"Oh…How?", said Aso with interest in his eyes. Other players were quite interested in this bet as well. Because they wanted to earn money through betting.

"If I get into the 2nd string then you will apologize to me on your knees", said Rei while smiling and getting other players' attention.

Rei gestured for Aso to tell him what he is supposed to do if he fails.

"If you don't get into the 2nd string then you have to be my servant for a month", said Aso Gin with a grin on his face.

Rei showed no reaction upon hearing what he had to do if he failed.

"OK, deal", said Rei smirking even though the bet seemed against him.

"How can he be so stupid? Obviously, I'll get in. How is he so gullible? Can't wait to see him in my house as a servant", thought Aso.

Even though Rei knew this deal was fishy he just shrugged thinking "Well, whatever I'm going to beat his ass either way".

As soon as they were done with the deal, the players saw Kataoka walking toward them and said, "We will be starting the tests now".

The first test was the pitching test where Rei was going to shine and shock everyone with his skills.

The catcher was in the field ready to catch some pitches. They were waiting for the coach to start.

The players who wanted to pitch were participating in this test.

Same as before the test started with people from the front and then the back where Rei was.

The first batch of players approached a catcher and started warming up to pitch.

Looking at their warm-up Rei thought, "Unexpectedly Coach gave them the time to warm up…hmmm".

After some minutes Kataoka signaled for the players to start.

As soon as the players received the ready sign. The catchers took their position and got ready for incoming pitches.

The players started pitching. Seeing the pitching Kataoka was disappointed and thought, "Is this it, seems like this year will be a disappointment for the 2nd string. Maybe I was expecting too much".

Kataoka stopped the test for that batch of players and told them they didn't pass mercilessly.

Some started crying while some were angry that their efforts didn't pay off. They were led off the field by Takako.

The other players were shocked to see what had just happened. They couldn't believe that the coach just sent them back not even letting them complete their test.

There were fewer players in this test around 3 batches. Since 1 batch had left already the 2nd batch of players were called.

They did the same thing as the first batch and started pitching. Only 2 people passed in the whole batch which consisted of 6 players.

Those 2 players were celebrating since they had gotten into the 2nd string while the rest of the batch left with disappointment.

Now it was the last batch's turn for this which had Rei in it. The players got ready and started warming up.

Rei walked toward his assigned pitcher while humming. He was kind of worried about his catcher because if he pitched using all his speed may be some catcher might not be able to catch it.

He had no idea about this since so far, he had been practicing with a wall.

He reached his assigned pitcher and saw that it was, Ono Hiroshi.

"Thank god", thought Rei sighing a sigh of relief. Since he knew Ono's capabilities he could go all out when pitching. Even though Ono hasn't improved that much yet he could still catch some of his pitches.

Ono approached Rei since he was the pitcher, he was going to be catching pitches from.

They both greeted each other, and Rei bowed toward him since he was his senpai.

Ever since he had gotten his predecessor's memories he came to know about things in the Japanese culture and since he was half Japanese in his previous life he adapted fast.

"Don't you want to warm up", asked Ono curiously.

"Sure", said Rei. He did some shoulder stretches quickly.

"That's it", questioned Ono after seeing that Rei was done already.

Rei nodded.

"What pitches do you know and let's discuss the signs", said Ono trying to change the subject as he sensed the awkward atmosphere.

"I'll just pitch a four-seam fastball today", said Rei. If he only pitched a fastball, they didn't have to discuss signs. He didn't say anything about the cutter yet because he wanted to level it up more.

"Oh, ok…", said Ono as he got ready and was about to go back to his position.

"You better be ready", said Rei while smiling at Ono as he was about to leave.

Ono nodded, went back to his position, and readied himself for incoming balls.

Rei was feeling nervous and excited as he approached the mound to pitch. Suddenly his demeanor changed and all the nervousness he was feeling vanished because his skill cold heart activated.

Rei's stomach churned in excitement as he stood on the mound preparing himself.

After a minute Kataoka gave the signal for them to start.

When he was given the signal to start Rei winded up his glove, swung back his arm with force, and released the ball aiming towards the catcher's mitt.

The ball went 140 KM hitting the strike zone.

*Thud**Thud*

The sound of the ball hitting the mitt echoed.

"NANI…", thought Ono when he saw the ball coming towards him. He barely managed to catch the ball even though he winced in pain when he caught it.

Rei smirked as he pitched his first pitch.

All the players who were pitching beside him, when they saw his pitch, they opened their mouths in surprise.

Rei chuckled seeing their reaction.

Kataoka had been scanning over all the players to see their qualities, but he stopped looking at Rei.

When Rei was taking his form to pitch, he thought it was an almost perfect form to pitch with. But when he saw Rei's fastball his eyes widened in surprise.

"Looks like all is not lost this year", thought Kataoka while smiling.

Kataoka scanned all the other players while thinking if anyone could compare to Rei.

Since no one did compare to him he decided something after thinking for a while.

"Stop", said Kataoka.

All the players stopped and lined up in front of the coach.

He picked 2 players from this batch of pitchers and sent all the other players home.

The players who were leaving included Aso. As Aso was leaving Rei and Aso made eye contact.

Rei gave him a thumbs down which made Aso even madder than he already was. He chuckled seeing his reaction. Aso was like a clown in his eyes.

The 2 people who got picked were Rei and some other random dude.

Kataoka approached Rei before they started the batter's test for the batters.

"Come talk to me in my office after an hour", said Kataoka.

4