When Life gives you a Wooden Shaft…
1.4k 7 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Issei took a few more practice swings, adjusting his grip and to the speed of his strikes. Once he confirmed he was fine with the sword and how strong he could go he rumbled.

'Should I hold back skill-wise?'

~Hm... Oh? You had combat training... Don't, holding back your skill while holding back your strength would be beneath you... This is a time to show off as well, Kiba is a part of Rias' peerage and it seems she's already expressed an interest in recruiting you. He's watching you closely.~

Worst case he bides his time and uses Ddraig's knowledge to get stronger. Rolling up his sleeves so as not to mess up his uniform which was already pretty tight around him he walked forward onto the mat, sliding out of his Uwagutsu* before he did.

Once he was on the mat he kept the sword in his right hand, keeping his left hand relaxed and to his side.

''Clean match, two strikes out of three. Nothing below the legs.'' Ordered Katase as she took the position of referee.

Issei leaned forward in a soft bow. It was returned by Saski before she entered the ready position for normal Kendo. ''He's not going to wear any protective equipment?''

Kiba asked from the sidelines, and out of the corner of his eyes, he saw Katase smirk. ''He didn't ask for any.''

~Fuck that bitch.~

Saski suddenly moved before Issei 'moved' to a stance, coming forward and swinging hard down. Issei stepped forward into strike range and his arm came up like a whip as the two swords clashed with a firm sound. Saski grunted out loud as both her arms went upwards from the force. She still held onto her sword though as Issei turned the sword, angling the tip down he struck out with a stab.

Once his arm was extended and the sword straightened he struck the protective piece.

It was such a quick and efficient sword movement that everyone was left in shock, Saski was the only one who recovered quickly and returned to her stance.

''Hit! Issei 1, Saski 0.'' Kiba said out loud since Katase had lost her smirk and had her mouth hanging open.

Saski took a moment, firming her grip on the sword he watched as she tensed, she was going to strike hard to try and meet him better with strength.

Issei relaxed his wrist a bit, turning it slightly to make sure it didn't lock up.

She came at him again, this time much harder in her strike. 

Raising the sword he had he redirected her bokken to the left, turning his wrist he then swiped upwards as Saski was sent stumbling before a steady strike landed along the protective layer over her chest.

''Hit! Issei 2, Saski 0." Katase had caught up by now and was about to announce his victory.

Saski caught herself, using the strength Issei exerted in his sword, not the strike itself. To help catch her balance. As she got up she flexed the gloves she was wearing before she spoke. ''Thank you, can I ask we try for the final strike?''

Issei took a few more swings, focusing his much stronger vision on the sword he was holding. He was holding his strength back well, and the sword was holding up fine.

''Of course.'' Issei responded, members of the club watching him seriously. The one that had watched him working out had actually been Saski, it was during a meeting about 'Making sure you avoid these people' and it was certain people. Issei had come up near the end and they claimed he was a pervert.

Which had been, weird for Saski at least. She even tried to... Entice gazes sometimes, as a hidden pleasure. But Issei never wavered from his workout, his focus never softened.

A pervert wouldn't have that kind of focus, so she mentioned it, just in passing. The other members had acted like it was a death sentence for the boy, grinning like mad women.

But now she knew that even if he had been a pervert, he's changed. His sword strikes were like he was teaching her. How he seemed focused on his strength exactly, holding back.

The first strike was a surprise, and at first, the second had been humiliating, but Issei had tightened his grip on the sword and used it to help keep her from falling over. He wasn't trying to humiliate her or prove himself.

This was a match and that is all that it was.

Saski shifted her grip on her sword, getting comfortable with it. Too soft wasn't going to work, and too hard wasn't going to work either... She should try what he's done, change the trajectory of his swing with small minor movements in his wrist and hand.

So this time she struck down but when their bokken connected she used the vibrations of the strike to deflect her own sword off, her two-handed grip being superior in turning the sword as she struck out towards his abdomen.

Issei caught the strike with his bokken as he stepped forward into her defense again and brought his sword forward, letting the tip of his sword pass under hers as he brought the hilt forward, tapping it against her helmet.

A parry into a stunner, something that could be used with Katanas, but wasn't as effective at it as a heavier longsword that had more oomph behind the strike.

Saski breathed out as she pulled off her helmet, showing a pretty woman beneath it. ''You're good, it's almost like you've actually 'fought' someone before.''

Kiba raised his hand as Katase announced Issei's win.

Kiba's raised hand smacked Issei on the shoulder with a pat. ''That's some pretty good sword skills, you might be even better than me in Western style.'' Kiba's face was all smiles.

~He means it, he feels impressed.~

''Thank you, feels pretty good that a hobby pays out like this sometimes.''

''...A Hobby?'' Saski asked, now sipping from a water bottle that someone had handed her.

''It started out as a Cosplay thing, then I learned I enjoyed it, started to put some real effort in it... Realized if I tried to focus on tournaments, I wouldn't loosen up.'' Issei confirmed.

Saski watched as no one passed Issei a water bottle, or even tried to take his bokken away, noticing how he seemed to still hold it as if ready for combat.

Stepping forward so offered her water bottle, which seemed to shock some of the girls at her actions.

''Thank you.'' Issei answered, not hesitation or thoughts when he moved to the waterfall some of the water into his mouth. Was he parched? No, but he was hungry, and getting hungrier. 

When he handed the water bottle back, some girls were still shocked, while Saski seemed almost disappointed.

~Aw, the sweet thing, no indirect kiss.~

'I'm going to remain careful of that shit, I don't need a Yandere in my future unless it's a really hot blonde-haired vampire.'

~You'll speak it into being if you're not careful.~

'Amen.' Was all Issei responded with as he went to go set the wooden bokken back, walking directly out of the Kendo hall now that the little show was over and heading for one of the vending machines he knew of on the campus.

People came and filled them up almost every day so they were always stocked up.

As he walked up to the one he was aiming for, he caught sight of a smaller white-haired girl standing at the vending machine, still wearing their school uniform.

~That's the girl that gave you the ticket.~

Issei walked forward to stand beside her, how she was staring hard at her palm.

Counting coins it looked like.

''What are you trying to get?'' Issei asked.

Koneko looked up at him, her hand closing around the coins, it would be weird if Issei wasn't used to emotionless people in his life as she spoke.

''The Spicy noodles, and the Melon bread.''

''Ah, I see the dilemma, you can't get both.'' He nodded before pulling out his wallet, pulling out small bills he handed some to her. ''There, now you can get both as well.''

She watched him for a moment, but Koneko was extremely easy to persuade when food was involved so she nodded her thanks before getting her spicy noodles and melon bread. When she was able to fill her noodles with hot water, she walked away.

~I can't wait to one day see her ears and tail in person, think my heart will melt~

'I can't wait for her sister.'

~...Amen.~ 

Issei snickered to himself out loud as Ddraig did the same joke, he got spicy noodles as well and grabbed himself a red bean bun for a sweet treat.

Once his bowl of noodles was filled with water, he took one of the wooden chopsticks and went to go sit down at one of the tables. 

As he got comfortable he noticed Koneko was now standing opposite of him at the table, just kind of staring at him.

Issei watched a moment before nodding down. ''Feel free to join me, it's rude to leave a lady standing.''

Koneko just nodded before joining him.

At first, she seemed tense, but since Issei didn't ask her anything, and simply started to eat with her, she relaxed.

She hated talking while she ate.


Like it? Add to library!
Looking to support me?
paypal.me/BeaulenSmith
https://www.patreon.com/BeauSmith
Check out my Webnovel
https://www.webnovel.com/profile/4313773437?appId=10

28