The Southern Water Tribe(1)
73 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We have finally arrived at the Southern Water Tribe main city and went off the boat. I have never been happier to feel my feet touch the ground, I was so excited that I was about to lay down in the middle of the port. Luckily I managed to control my impulse and only did a silent prayer for finally sitting on something that isn't constantly shaking.

Waiting there were Katara, Kya, and Korra's parents. After Tenzin greeted his sister and mother I introduced myself to them.

"Greetings,  Master Katara, Master Kya! I'm Ethan! It's a pleasure to meet you!

I bowed before the two bending masters, a thing you don't often see in the anime is how you should interact with other people, often the avatar has no care for the way she addresses important people and at times can be considered rude, but because of her status, certain things are glossed over. Me on the other hand I don't have those privileges, and while people might not say it in front of others to give me face as one of the avatar's companions, in closed doors is another story. Rumors spread and I would rather say that I'm overly polite than rude.

"Oh, the Undying Mechanical Terror, the children talked a lot about you, they said that you can fight fifty opponents at once and can fly, how much of that is true."

"The circumstances were in my favor when I fought against those people and about the flying part, well, science can help humans achieve heights never before seen."

Before she could retort back Katara stepped in.

"Kya, don't be rude! It's a pleasure to meet you, Pema talks often about you, only good things I assure you. I want to personally thank you for your bravery in staying to protect my family while they were retreating.  And please call me Katar, with all the things you did for us you are part of the family."

She bowed at me and I returned her response with a compliment.

"Thank you Katar, it brings me great pride to be acknowledged by a master such as yourself."

I talked a bit more with her and asked if she could take a look at my body and see if there were any abnormalities. She agreed, truthfully she was my last hope in better understanding what was going on with me and my internal energy. I could control it, yes, it made me stronger, also yes, but that is only for the moment, I can't say what will happen to me five or even ten years from now. I wasn't going to let short-term gains blind me and endanger my future, I was planning to have a long life full of adventures, besides the wealth I have started to accumulate will not spend itself.

I then moved to talk with Korra's parents, they seemed very welcoming and thanked me as well for taking care of Korra. They praised me for putting up with her at times and teaching her how to be a better avatar.

Me as humble as ever, I politely replayed to all of their compliments. While we were talking a northern tribe ship came into view. As you might expect it was the water tribe chieftain's ship. Out of it came the chief with his two children.

They made their way to us and greeted the avatar, the avatar greeted them back and so did the rest of us but he didn't bother to even look at us. I knew that he was a prick but damn, he thought he was some kind of superior being,  with this kind of ego no wonder he got tricked by Vaatu.

We went to look at the stands for the festival, they were beautiful, the usual colors of the water nation were replaced by warm shades of red and orange, everybody was having a great time, the overall mood was so warm that it looked like all the ice would just melt.

Then Unalaq started to speak and I could feel my happiness disappear bit by bit. God, I only met this guy and already thinking if I should assassinate him or not. It wasn't that what he said didn't make sense it was the way he said it that made me put a hole between his eyebrows. Since he ruined my mood I thought I would do the same and see the face he makes when I put him to answer so incriminating questions.

"Master Unalaq, I heard a lot of great things about you sir, I am a man of science I'm not too familiar with the more spiritual side of the world, I would be honored to hear some words of wisdom about the spirits coming from such a distinguished master. Is it true that from a very young age you've been a master at dealing with spirits?"

"Of course, while others learned played in the snow, I spend my time in the library learning about the cultures involved in dealing with spirits."

"Fascinating! Is this the reason that you were able to repel the spirits that came to attack the Northern Tribe's Capital City? You are a hero of a friend of mine and he never shuts up about it so I was curious about the details, I'm truly sorry if I'm rude by any chance."

"No need to apologize, every person craves for spiritual enlightenment in a way or another. Yes, it is because of me that the spirits were pacified and further damage was prevented."

"How did it happen? From what I read spirits rarely get involved with humans, so what made them attack a human settlement?"

"Their sacred place was ravaged and they came to get revenge!"

Tonraq was starting to become angry but I continued, he will thank me later for this I'm sure.

"Is this a predictable outcome? I mean if you attack their home are they always bound to attack the people that did that?"

"Yes, of course, spirits are simple but complex at the same time, certain actions you can predict while others you can't, attacking their home and them attacking ours was predictable."

"It doesn't make sense to me..."

"Care to elaborate?"

"Why does my friend like you so much? From my understanding, it was your fault for not warning and stoping the soldiers about the consequences that their actions might bring. It is as much your fault as it is theirs. No... Yours it's even bigger since it was your job to know, which makes you a fool in the best case and a traitor in the worst since there is a possibility of you deliberately letting them go ravage the sacred place knowing what the outcome and using this opportunity to gain fame."

"How dare you call me a traitor!"

"Ok, this is my fault, you are incompetent then, now that I think about it, calling you a master might have been a stretch."

While Unalaq was fuming I could see Tonraq bearly holding in his laughter.

3