Chapter 11: Neville’s Toad (Edited)
275 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The train moved swiftly onward, the windows no longer showing the city of London, but fields and meadows.

At twelve o'clock, with a loud clatter, a smiling old woman pushed open the door of his compartment and asked, "Would you like to buy something to eat, dear?"

Breakfast seemed a long time ago, and Tom jumped to his feet and ran down the hall.

"Mom made a bento..." Hermione's words didn't catch up with Tom's speed.

Tom had bought the old lady two bags of Bertie Bott Dragees in all flavors, some chocolate frogs, pumpkin pies, cauldron-shaped cakes and a few other miscellaneous items for less than three silver coins in total.

Tom carried his purchases into the compartment and set them all down on an empty seat, with Hermione watching him.

"Are you hungry?" asked Hermione.

"Yes." Tom found a pumpkin pie shaped like a cauldron and took a big bite.

"I have a bento here." Hermione pulled two more crisp boxes and a thermos out of her backpack, filled with ham and egg sandwiches and salads, and hot black tea in the thermos.

Tom also handed Hermione the sandwiches he had bought, and the two of them munched on them together.

Hermione picked up a chocolate frog.

"What is this? is it a frog-shaped chocolate?" she opened the box and there was a frog-shaped chocolate frog, and as soon as the box was opened, it twisted and turned and jumped towards the astonished Hermione, making her scream in fear. But Tom was quick enough to grab the unruly chocolate frog with a snap and pop it into his mouth to chew.

"It tastes good, milk chocolate, but it's not very strong, and it moves in the mouth." Tom commented positively of this chocolate frog.

Hermione had regained her composure, and at Tom's words, her mouth twitched as she studied the card that came in the box as if she hadn't heard him. On it was Dumbledore's face, with his accomplishments written underneath.

"That's amazing!" exclaimed Hermione as she saw Dumbledore's life and accomplishments.

"Mmmm," nodded Tom perfunctorily, and opened a bag of Bertie Bott Dragees in all flavors, "Bertie Bott Dragees in all flavors, would you like some?".

The magic beans were a delight to them, with chocolate, mint, jam, marmalade, toast, coconut, pepper, strawberry, curry, herb, sardines and a myriad of other flavors, and it felt like a whole new experience with each one.

The sliding door to the compartment opened again. This time it was a round-faced boy with red, puffy eyes who entered.

"Excuse me," he said, "I wanted to ask, have you seen my toad?"

Both Tom and Hermione shook their heads, and tears streamed down the boy's face, "I've lost him again! He keeps trying to get away from me."

"He'll be back." Tom comforted him.

"Yeah, well, if you see...," the boy said.

"We're going to help you find him." Hermione was back to being the same proud, condescending child she was when confronted by strangers, but her words were comforting, and at least the round-faced boy seemed touched.

"What did the toad look like? when was the last time you saw him? By the way, I'm Hermione Granger, this is Tom Yodel, what's your name?" Hermione launched into a barrage of questions.

The round-faced boy looked a little confused and finally just stammered and told them his name was Neville Longbottom.

"Well then, Neville, let's help you find your toad." Hermione was instantly excited and dragged Tom with her.

"Well, we'll split up," Hermione quickly decided, "I've read that toads like to live in damp, dark places, so we'll have to be careful when we come across them on the way."

"Neville, actually there is another way, but it will cost you some money." said Tom suddenly, attracting both of their attention, "We could go to Gran with the food trolley, and ask her to inform the other wizards in the compartment that whoever finds your toad will get three snacks from her in exchange for three Sickle, or if they don't want the money for finding the toad, they can come to our compartment and I can show them a hidden place in Hogwarts."

"Excellent!" Neville accepted the offer immediately and trotted off to find Gran.

"What hiding place?" Hermione's eyes filled with curiosity.

"I happen to know where the school kitchen is," Tom raised an eyebrow and winked, "any little wizards who get the message will be in luck."

"So are we still going to help Neville find the toads?" asked Hermione.

"If you want to move, that's fine," said Tom.

So the two paired up and asked for the boxes one by one.

"Margaritas, sweet cream and sunshine, turn this silly fat mouse yellow!" When Tom opened a compartment door, the red-haired boy inside was hexing a fat gray mouse with his wand.

But nothing happened, and the mouse was still gray and moving in its sleep.

Hermione, who had watched it all, had a look on her face that said, "What are you doing?"

"Are you sure that was really a spell?" Hermione asked him, "It doesn't seem to be working, does it?"

Saying that, Hermione smiled and said condescendingly, "I've tried a few simple spells at home too, but they've all worked."

She walked over to the dark-haired boy in the carriage, pulled out her wand and pointed it at the glasses, "For example, 'Oculus Reparo'"

The next moment, the dust on the boy's glasses was gone.

"That's better, isn't it?" said Hermione.

Both children showed surprised expressions.

"No one in my family knows anything about magic, so when I got the matriculation letter, I was surprised, but mostly I was glad, because, I mean, Hogwarts is the best wizarding school, and I had studied all the textbooks beforehand... oh, yes, I'm Hermione Granger, and this is Tom Yodel, what are your names? By the way, have you seen Neville's toadstool?" asked Hermione, after a little demonstration of the spell she had learned, remembering what she had to do and rushing to ask the two of them.

"My name is Ron Weasley, we haven't seen any toads..." muttered the red-haired boy.

"Harry Potter," said the boy with the glasses.

Hermione's eyes lit up, "Is it really you? My God, I know all about you. I've bought extra books, 'History of Modern Magic', 'The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts', 'Important Magical Events of the 20th Century', all of which mention you."

Harry and Ron looked at each other, and Ron grimaced.

"Well, we're off to find Neville's toad." Hermione chatted with them for a few moments, realizing they weren't getting along, and left with Tom.

"By the way, you have a dirty spot on your nose, did you know that?" said Hermione to Ron as they left, pointing at the tip of his nose at the same time, and Ron shot her a furious look.

"Merlin blessed, he's not going to be in the same house as us, is he?" complained Ron to Harry as the two of them left.

4