Chapter 25: Let’s go to the library (Edited)
167 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the afternoon it was History of Magic, and this time the young wizards had learned their lesson, asking beforehand about the characteristics of the History of Magic professor, and were relieved to learn that he was a "boring ghost." Boring was better than strict, and a ghost was no creepier than Snape's face. As for the senior students' comment that this class caused people to feel sleepy, that was even less of a problem: for one thing, the younger students thought they should be different, and for another, they thought they could just copy the notes from these lectures. And they love the character of Professor Binns' lectures, it meant less supervision and a more relaxed atmosphere, which made the young wizards long for a morning of Snape's teaching.

They soon changed their minds.

Professor Binns, the most senior of the Hogwarts professors, had been teaching at Hogwarts since the time of the Founding Four, until one day he fell asleep in front of the fireplace in the staff common room and the next morning went to class like a ghost.

For a thousand years, he had been teaching the history of magic at Hogwarts with great dedication. Everything was good about the old professor, but one thing was not good about him: he didn't know how to lecture. All he did was present historical facts in his monotone voice, in a manner so dry it would drown out a student.

After a quarter of an hour, Tom could no longer listen and began reading from his textbook, which was much more vivid than Professor Binns' words, and only a few in the class were able to keep up with him and take note of what he was saying.

When the class ended, Professor Binns did not stay to answer questions, but turned his head and walked across the board behind him. The classroom buzzed with the same suppressed buzz as before, as everyone let out what they had been holding back the entire class.

"Fuck, this professor is so boring!" Tom's roommate, Kevin Entwistle, roughly shoved his History of Magic notes into his bag and slammed it against the desk with a thud.

A nearby Slytherin boy named Theodore Nott interjected, "Yeah, leave him alone, his class is very tiring, did you take all the notes? " He looked at his notes and thought it would be best to borrow a copy of them, and the Ravenclaw boy next to him was the one to use.

"No," Kevin was a little worried about breaking the ink bottle in his bag, "And I don't think there's any rush, let's talk about it in a few days..."

"What class do you have in the morning?", Nott asked.

"We don't have class in the morning," said Kevin.

"That's good...," said Nott.

The two chatted as they walked out of the History of Magic classroom. Of the four Hogwarts houses, Ravenclaw and Slytherin were closest, Hufflepuff and Gryffindor had a better relationship, and the conversation that had just taken place between the Gryffindor and Slytherin students was unlikely, but it was the norm on the Ravenclaw side.

[Useless knowledge added]

This was the notification that appeared at the end of class, a class that hadn't given him much, and had only taught him a little about the history of the magical world. He glanced at his notes and thought he needed to find a copy of someone else's notes to expand his knowledge. His eyes turned to Hermione, who was sitting next to him, and he saw that Hermione's notebook was full of small, dense writing, arranged block by block on the page like a field, looking aesthetically neat, and in some places even with drawings.

"Hermione, can I borrow your notes?" asked Tom.

"Yes, when I get back and sort them out," said Hermione.

"Shall we go to the library?" said Tom.

"Yes, yes! I've heard that the Hogwarts library is the biggest, fullest, and oldest in the magical world, so I'd love to see it today." Hermione was excited to hear about the library and eagerly told Tom what she had read about it.

"Tom, would you like to come back? I brought a deck of cards, do you want to come and play? Michael brought a board game, we could try it out." At that point, Tom's roommates Anthony and Michael came over together, it was some time before dinner and they thought they'd get some of their roommates together to play a game and bond.

"Um, I'm going to the library later, to sort out my notes for Potions and History of Magic, so I'll be back in my room after dinner to play cards." Tom looked puzzled, he knew that playing games with each other was the best way to bond as roommates, but he already had a date.

"Crazy!"

"Dude! Let me copy my notes tonight!"

The two looked at Tom in shock and amazement, but being Ravenclaws, they didn't make a fuss. In Gryffindor, going to the library on the first day of class was almost incomprehensible, but in Ravenclaw it was the norm, and there were a few people in each year who liked to spend time in the library reading. After all, what better place to gain knowledge than the library?

The two adored the two schoolboys and left with the promise that Tom would lend them his notes, and they agreed to play a game after dinner, and Tom said he had a game that would test their intelligence, which made them want to play it.

The library, like the History of Magic classroom, was located on the second floor of Hogwarts castle alone, with shelves housing books over a thousand years old, though of course, as in the Muggle library, old and isolated books required special permission to be consulted. Unlike the Muggle library, however, the rarity of these special permission books had nothing to do with their rarity, but with the fact that they were not suitable for young wizards. Decades ago, books about Horcruxes could be found here. Perhaps hundreds of years ago, you could even find books on Horcrux making here. But in the last few decades, the books have shrunk, and more and more books have gone into the restricted section, and cannot be borrowed without a note signed by a professor.

When Tom and Hermione entered the library, they were struck by the solemnity of the place, and as far as they could see, they couldn't see the edge of the library! The bookshelves were in neat rows, like a military formation. The whole library is the size of a square, but it is very calm and quiet. The library has a dark decor, but it was well lit, with light filtering through the huge glass windows, making the place as solemn as a church.

[Mission: Travel the World]

[Objective: Explore the magical world]

[Stage 4]

[Progress: 1/8]

[Hogwarts Library Unlocked]

[There are countless places in the magical world waiting to be explored, so live your curiosity, traveler!]

Indeed, as soon as he entered the library, Tom managed to register a new attraction in the Wizarding World.

2