The first Titles, 2 out of 5
1.5k 6 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Smaller chapter than the previous ones, containing only around 4000 words. There wasn't a lot of Lore in here today, but there was a certain amount of development on the Mc abilities)

.

.

.


-The Phantom Library is more versatile than you actually think. There is a reason why old man Vista didn't explain much in this regard. He didn't want anyone to abuse its capabilities.

-So he set up a timer. The library was going to collapse when the timer ran out. The timer being the amount of energy inside of it.

-I am curious about something. What are the requirements to enter this place?

-Ohhh that… They are simpler than you imagine. You just need to have his "seal".

-Seal? When did I gain such a thing…

The collar?...

-Nope, it wasn't that item.

-So what was it?

-Downloading the video and watching old man Vista talk until the end. The video itself was a kind of complex magic that would imbue you with a secret Seal that would disappear after a set period of time. Or when the conditions are achieved.

-As for me… I just used a backdoor in the spell. HAHA…

-...

-In any case, let's use it, shall we? You probably have its administrative rights? Am I wrong?

-I do have the rights...

-So it's simple. Use the command "Deconstruct Library", and then choose to have all of the information deposited in your head. When it asks for where the dimensional energy should be deposited, just throw it at me.

-...

-Trust me, this dimensional energy is pretty useless for the current you, it would do more harm than good for someone who can't use it very well. It would take even longer to teach you how to properly use it…

-A question, what will the "Deconstruct Library" command actually do?

-The Library is going to be broken down into its most basic components. Meaning, the books inside it are going to be thrown back into our dimension and the energy inside is going to go berserk due to the destabilization of the main structure of the Library.

-A lot of calculations and magic shenanigans are going to happen.

-I am going to absorb that berserk energy while you gain everything else… You will understand what I am talking about and why this will be so advantageous for you.

'His collar didn't change colors…'

-Fine. Let's do this… Is there something I need to pay attention to?

-You may experience some minor headaches. But if anything bad happens I am confident in being able to fix it…

[BIIP!]

'His collar changed into yellow'

-...

-... Cough… There are some things that might be too dangerous but those things have a probability close to that of zero of happening.

-Sigh… Deconstruct Library…

[DING!]

[The Phantom library has detected a command from its administrator]

[Are you sure you want to proceed with this command?]

-Yes I am.

[Deconstructing the Phantom library… Please set up an exit point]

-? It's asking for an exit point…

-The dimensional energy is for me while everything else is for you.  Said Dae

-Dimensional energy exit point will be Dae over there while everything else is for me.

[Processing… Initiating book transference...]

[A suitable location has been found...]

'Sharp pain soon filled my head'

-Wha-ts happe-ning… ARG!

-I lifted my head to see that Dae was also sweating. He had an expression of pain.

-Just… Resist… For now… Philip.

Fucking hell…

'This massive pain lasted for a few more minutes. I could feel it. Dozens of books filled my mind at an unbelievable speed.'

'Until it finally ended...'

[Mind Bastion LvMax has absorbed a part of the Phantom library, gaining a new Sub-Ability]

[DING!]

[You have read all of the books in Shelf number 021 of the Royal library!]

[You have made an achievement!]

[For your curiosity and thirst for knowledge, you have gained the Title, Scholar]

[You have gained the Skill, Scholar vision Lv0]

-Urg… My head…

[You have used, Painkillers x1]

Thank God I have so much trash in my inventory…

I had to wait for a few more minutes since Dae was still struggling with whatever he had absorbed.

-Harf harf… It finally ended…

-You okay? What just happened?

-That was the process of transferring… Wasn't it easy?

-EASY?!

I felt as if my head was going to burst!

Just you wait until the Laxative…

-Your expression is quite macabre…

-In any case… Just what is this Title? I absorbed a part of the Library and I even gained a Skill.

-The scholar Title… It looks fairly simple to get, but it requires dozens of years of accumulation in order for a normal person to get it… That's why it's so rare.

-It even comes with a Skill… Scholar vision. It's a pretty decent ability… It allows you to instantly analyze anything using the entirety of your knowledge bank… But that's the least important part of this Skill, our focus should be on its secondary Ability.

-The Skill allows you to see other people's "State", or in your case, Level… Up to a certain limit of course.

And like he said… I could see a "1" on top of Dae.

-Level 1?

-Yup. It's a fairly decent ability. Out there where it's pretty hard to gauge someone's ability, being able to see their overall power in numbers is very good.

-Just be careful to not trust it very much. There are people who are capable of messing around with such values. Intentionally or not.

-As for its main ability… It's kind of meh. Well, for someone who has difficulty analyzing things, I guess this is a good ability… But this is not your case.

-But your case is even more Unique than that… You absorbed a part of the Phantom library, meaning you must have a part of its abilities… Why don't you check it out?

-...

[Mind Bastion LvMax

Type-Trait

Description: The strongest wall, the unbeatable fortress! The last and most solid line of defense! Nothing shall pass this line! Everything that tries, shall suffer the consequences! My will is eternal!

Effects:

Emotion mass control: Calms or enhances your emotions when they surpass a certain threshold. This effect can extend to those around you.

You may choose who to affect.

Analytical computation: Greatly Improves all mechanical functions of the brain. Including memory, learning speed, reflexes …

As long as the Bastion stands, it may work as a secondary processing Unit, allowing perfect parallel thinking.

Perfected defenses: Massively boost defenses over attacks against the mind, up to a certain Level.

Mind Paladin: A Mind Paladin protects the Mental fortress. He is constituted by your mental fortitude. His mere presence strengthens the defenses of the Bastion. In case of death, he will reappear when enough mental power is gathered.

His strength grows as he is fed more mind power. But his strength can never surpass that of what the Fortress can hold.

The Mind Paladin is currently hibernating due to the absorption of *****. Hence all of its related abilities are currently deactivated.

Mental Library: Due to the absorption of the Phantom library, a new subdivision has taken shape inside the Mind Bastion. The Mental library will greatly help you in all activities revolving around the acquisition of knowledge.

All books that you read will gain a copy inside the Mental library.

]

-... Mental library?

-So you really got it… Phew…

Why do you look relieved?!

-That is the ability that makes Scholar vision something out of this world… Normally, it is very hard to memorize multiple books, but with that ability, you can read anything and it doesn't matter if you memorized it or not…  Even if you don't understand its contents…

-The Scholar vision will still interpret it as your knowledge… You can see where I am going right?... The more books you read, the more monstrous the analyzing capabilities of this Skill will be… Do you understand why the people of this world fear this ability so much?

-Because it can read into their most private information…

-Exactly… And this is only at Level 0… Once you raise it into its higher variants…

-Damn… But why didn't you get it? I mean…

-There are many such abilities out there in the world. Yes, they are hard to acquire, but I have my own ideas… Although I am somewhat envious of you. If we had time, I would surely read the books with you. But we don't have any to spare…

-... So what now?

-The next Title of course! You have a lot of knowledge that was forcibly lodged in your head. It's time to make use of it!

-The most basic and easiest ability we can make is by shaping energy in some strange way.

'He lifted his hand and blueish energy revested his hand'

-This is a very, very basic application of energy. If there is something you don't understand, just tell me. By doing this you should be able to get two Titles at the same time. You know what I am talking about right?

"...Create one martial/magical technique while in the lowest state…"

-... Okay. I will try.

Equip Title Number 1

[Title equipped]

(For the bonuses.)

-I don't know what sort of energy your Class uses but… Magic is a pretty solid energy to try it out first. It's the easiest to feel and manipulate after all.

Although it's one of the more complex to master.

'Following Dae's example, I tried to feel something deep within me...'

-After feeling the energy, try to think of shaping it… It can be anything. Something that may happen is to think of a use for it. Like incorporating it into a specific move.

'While descending deep within me, looking for something I never felt before, until it suddenly came to me.'

I have already been using some sort of magic for a very long time.

The Art of quickening was the thing that came into my mind.

'By following the strange feeling I had every time I invoked the technique, I channeled it towards my hand and thought:'

I don't think using those methods described in the books will help me in manipulating this particular energy...

What do I want to do with this energy?

… This could work…

'My right hand started to turn red until a blood-red flame fully covered my hand'

'This flame wasn't hot, it wasn't burning the wood nor my clothes. But it invoked a feeling of danger from even Dae. It smelt of iron as if Philip's hand was covered in blood'

He did it huh… I knew you were a talent but this is a bit over the top… Looks like I can accelerate some things.

/Poof.../

Suddenly, the red flame extinguished and Philip opened his eyes.

-... Did I fail?

-On the contrary, you aced the exam…

[DING!]

[You have gained the Ability ------ lv0 (Active)]

[Please name the new technique]

[Due to the nature of your Class, this Ability shall be linked to your Secondary Status]

[You have created a new technique while being in the lowest State possible!]

[You have made an excellent achievement]

[You have gained the Titles, Martial enthusiast and Magical enthusiast!]

-It says I gained two Titles…

-Two? So this technique is quite a good one. Although it's still pretty rough… If you smooth out its edges… I think this will become quite a decent Ability. Why don't you name it?

'By activating the Skill in the window tab, a blood red flame enveloped his hand.'

-So this is how it looks like… If this works just like how I imagined… Eviscerate.

[You have named the Ability, Eviscerate]

[Eviscerate Lv0

A brutal technique born from one of the most basic principles.

Although it's a rough application of force, it still does its job pretty effectively.

Effects:

Activate this Ability to greatly enhance your hand's strength.

]

-It's pretty basic…

-Come on. If you could create a strong Skill just like that then what would be the point of warriors keeping their own techniques a secret from others?

-And if you gained two Titles… You must have gained the Martial and Magical enthusiast Titles, right?

I noded

-Be sure to train them well. Even if you have the chance, don't fuse those Titles. Evolving them separately is much better than doing so. Although there will come a time when you will have to do so...

-I think this is enough for today. But before I leave…

'Dae picked up a coin from his inventory'

[Contract coin

Description: A coin used to initiate a contract between two individuals. Break the coin to bind the contract conditions to each member]

-... Do you want to make a contract?

-Yes and no… A contract can make both of us rest easy knowing our information is safe. But at the same time the contract can also protect our minds from being read.

-This coin can create a barrier that will protect any information about me in your head from leaking. The reverse also applies.

-So if someone read my mind… Any info about you is going to be protected?

-Pretty much… Not all, only this deal, and our next encounters. The contract terms are simple, don't spill any info about me or what happened in here to anyone under any circumstances unless the other party agrees.

-This agreement must be done under "safe" conditions. Meaning I can't brainwash you and make you agree with me.

-And…

'Dae said a few more clauses, all of which were protecting us in some sort of way.'

-... And finally. We can only be sincere with each other as long as both sides agree to disclose information. This is to avoid us suspecting each other. Don't worry as you won't be forced to say something if you don't want to.

-This contract will only last for 6 months. We should have more than enough time to renew it by that time.

-Let me consider for a bit.

This contract is considerably tilted in my favor… But he's not losing much at all. It's more like… He is investing in me.

And with the knowledge I got from the books, I am not as clueless about this world as I was before. There is a very low chance that he may add some hidden terms into the contract.

Although his knowledge about the future scares me a little since he may know of ways to bypass the system rules…

But I have an inkling that by refusing, I will lose more than I could possibly gain.

Not only that but I may create an enemy I can't deal with… Someone who knows the future is bound to grow at unbelievable speeds.

-I accept the terms.

/CRACK!/

'The coin started to levitate and spin. And after a few moments, it cracked into two perfectly symmetrical parts that flew into both mine and Dae's heads.'

[DING]

[The contract has been made under the collective agreements of both parties]

-As I said before, if you break the contract you are going to lose the memories of everything we discussed here… Although I find that pretty hard.

-... I think I will remain here for a little while longer… Test out this new Ability I have to memorize books.

-That's a good course of action… From now on I will contact you mentally so that we can meet here. If I can't meet you here then I will tell you where to go.

-Luckily we are under the same teacher, so helping you train should be pretty easy… Although I will still avoid you most of the time in order to not attract attention to you.

-Speaking about that Dae… I can call you Dae right?

-Sure! No need to be a stranger… I don't follow the Korean ways of speaking… It can be quite a bother sometimes… All of that formal talk. But what do you want to ask?

-How do I… Talk with my mind like you did?

-So it was that… First things first, we need to give you some basic knowledge… The ones in the books were rather outdated, even with the many updates they received.

-You can get that knowledge by reading related books here in the library, but remember that apart from this corridor, everywhere else will be under constant monitoring of the agents.

-And a Hero who spends 90% of his free time reading isn't discreet. So make sure to spend some time doing other things.

-I will be careful.

-After you gain the necessary knowledge I can start teaching you some useful tricks…

-So this is all for now. Don't worry about the other Titles. I will help you get them later… I will leave first because of the time.

'Dae got up and started to walk down the corridor. But he stopped halfway.'

-One more piece of advice. Don't trust Roy that much. Although he is a good guy, he is much more self-centered than you think. Be careful not to be used and thrown away by him.

-You should definitely stay on his good side, he is a massive ally to have… But so is he as an enemy.

'And with that Dae left'

-... My head hurts…

So many things were suddenly presented to me in the course of a little less than an hour… Now I am even more confused as to how I should progress.

-Focus…

I just need to get stronger for now. Find a way to get a new Class and so on.

-What should I read now?

Somewhere deep in the forest, Dae Kyoung made his way back to the dormitories.

-... Phew.

They almost got me… If it wasn't for this new Skill…

'Dae looked at his hand that seemed to be phasing in and out of reality.'

(Think of whitebeard, as if his hand had shattered)

-This consumes an awfully large amount of energy...

-Now. I need to make my way back to my room. The maid should wake up anytime now.

When I reach the room I will inject her with a memory serum and create an alibi for me.

Let's hope she doesn't have a drug resistance ability…

When most of the maids and butlers are actually undercover agents, many actually have some sort of resistance skill so they may not leak information to others.

As for Philip...

Things went more smoothly than I expected.

Yet… You are just as cautious as I imagined, it was pretty hard to convince you…

-I had to use many cards to convince him… Although… I had to twist some things.

I am sorry Philip. I didn't want our relationship to start based on lies, but I had to lie somewhat.

Otherwise, you might've not believed me… I wanted to tell you much more but some things need to be left for the future.

-And if you haven't… Sigh… At least I didn't have to resort to that… Philip is very strong at this moment in the timeline. With my low-Level Skills, I may very well lose.

Even with my combat experience…

Worse, I can't even raise my Level for now. I need to increase my potential first, Leveling up is a waste.

It's a shame that some have already started to increase their State by hunting monsters but… If I play my cards right, I can increase their potential without a hitch.

Although this might make me lower Level than the others… My accumulation in others areas should be enough to make me their equal.

But I have to be fast. If I take too long without Leveling up, those guys might start to suspect me.

-I still need to find a way to get him that spot...

At this time he should be reading those books right?

With that Skill… He should be able to gain enough knowledge to pass as a Tier-3 Wizard apprentice right?

-Although he will need some Skills to make that believable… In fact. Why just pass as one? Knowing his talent, it wouldn't be impossible to turn him into a Tier-3 apprentice… Perhaps even a Tier-1 Wizard.

Tier-1 Wizard in a month… I think there was an Achievement for that…

That should be more than enough for him to get that job.

-Hehe… I will make you suffer a little… In the following month, I need to properly lay the foundation for his future development.

I also need to find the time to properly train myself and get those special items…

-But getting into that place within a month will be hard, even more, when I am so full with stuff to do. Although it isn't impossible.

And at the same time...

I will need to guide the others into the proper path, but I need to do it in a way that doesn't make them reliant on me…

I also need to save as many of them as I can… I can't let so many die so early.

-Looks like I will have to forget about sleeping for a while… I will have to visit the warehouse again to get some supplies in order to make some energy pills.

'Dae took out a diary, this was a book that recorded all of his memories from the future so he wouldn't forget them. He wrote it as soon as he came into the past. Its still incomplete though.'

-... He should be my next target… If I can set him on the right path…

But how should I do that?…

'Dae suddenly remembered a conversation he had with some of his companions'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"-... Who else should I pay attention to? Apart from those guys...

-Hum…

-The Revenger.    Said the tall black man.

-Him?! Wasnt he a murder that ended up going into…    Said a blond Witch with twin tails.

-That was because he was forced. He was blinded by wrath and anger. After he became a criminal, he was prosecuted by the Crown, and he had to eventually join the other side.

-What you need to do is simply help him. Do not give him a reason to leap to another side. This is even easier because he is in fact, a good person…

-The Revenger? A good person?

-... Don't talk as if you know him… He used to be a good man… I know him personally after all…

-Yet I failed to guide him…

-Don't be so down. I will try my best..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-The Revenger… But how do I get in contact with him?

-...

Sigh. I will leave that for later. Let me first settle the remaining things for today.

/FRAAAP/

'He suddenly placed his hand in his stomach'

-Arg! What is happening with my stomach?!

/PBBBT/

-Holy… I… I think I crapped my pants!

PHILIP YOU…!

/THPPTPHTPHPHHPH/

What the fuck did Philip feed me?!

'And so ran Dae… In a speed beyond even what he believed to be possible for his current body'

'His destination? The toilet'

...

/A few hours later/

'Philip was now back at his room, reading a letter of thanks written by Petter'

-... Was there a need to write a letter? I know phones aren't working anymore but…

I guess he is still a little introverted, even after all of that change.

-They say people change when they are put in a dangerous situation.

-Anyway… Today was quite a surprise. This new Skill that I gained, Scholar Vision…

'Philip's eyes shined slightly when he used the Skill on the letter'

[Petter's handwritten letter

A letter written by Petter, his calligraphy is terrible.

Its contents are rather simple as he only thanks you and says he will repay you.

Although you can see that he had some trouble writing with a Feather pen.

The paper seems to be made using an archaic method...]

If you don't understand, this Skill works like this:

When I gaze onto an item or a situation, this Skill will use every single piece of information in my head to try and decipher what is going on.

Meaning, this Skill can be very, very impressive. But it can also be pretty terrible in other situations.

For example, in Petter's letter, it goes as far as to describe what sort of paper and the type of ink was used.

It even tries to speculate what sort of tree and the materials that were used…

This is a Skill that grows in efficacy the more information I have in my head. I can see why only Scholars would gain such a thing…

With my Mental library, I can record any books/ information I get my eyes on. I don't even need to waste time comprehending it.

Although this may create other complications.

This is because Scholars' vision may use complicated language to describe some subjects. And if I don't even understand the subject…

-That's pretty much it… In 2-3 hours since Dae left the Royal library, I managed to skim through over 50 books. And I know I can increase those numbers.

If I can assimilate the information of the Royal library in my head…

-It would be like having a super scholar helping me at all times.

There is no need to worry about me getting dependent on this Skill, because I can always read the books stored in the Mental library.

-Although it would take a while to go through all of them.

Tomorrow our training will start, I wonder what that mad girl will teach us…

'With these thoughts in my head, I went to sleep.'

.

.

.

Notes

62